Do you use Social Media?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Do you use Social Media?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:24 pm

I do not use any Social Media and have no plans to
48%
I do not use any Social Media but would start if it were directly linked to money savings opportunities
3%
I use only Facebook
14%
I use only Twitter
1%
I use only Linked In
5%
I use only Other Social Media
1%
I use Facebook and Twitter
3%
I use Facebook and Linked In
8%
I use Twitter and Linked In
4%
I use Facebook, Twitter and Linked In
5%
I use Facebook, Twitter, Linked In and other social media
6%
Other
2%

Total votes: 166

Saving$

Do you use Social Media?

Post by Saving$ » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:24 pm

The recent post about the site that aggregates social media "influence" and uses that to set prices for items you purchase online and perks you are offered by those with whom you do business got me wondering how the Bogleheads use social media. Would the opportunity to save money change your mind? How much information would you be willing to share?

I find that Linked In is almost a must for business. Other than that, I don't use social media. My friends are those I socialize with in real life, not those who clicked on a link.

sscritic

Re: Do you use Social Media?

Post by sscritic » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:37 pm

I answered no, but I actually have a Facebook account. I have no friends and I am no one's friend (are those relationships reciprocal?). I also never post. I have no data associated with me. I almost never login, but sometimes a search will point me to a Facebook page and I need to login to see that page. You might say I have an anti-Facebook account; does that count as social media?

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:43 pm

I also have an anti-Facebook account.

Yes, I have a page. There is a recognizable picture. Several people have found me through Facebook. I have a couple of friends - mostly relatives who are willing to live more publicly than I am. So I watch their activities and that's kind of fun.

I don't post anything, ever. Facebook is evil. :twisted:

linuxuser

Post by linuxuser » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:51 pm

I have an anti-Facebook account too.
Interestingly enough if you go and search on my first and last names, there are several people using the same.
We all had the same idea.

I have seen Facebook account where the only requirement to view most of the content is to have another Facebook account.
What is the point?

I have only used my Twitter account once.

The Facebook account I use to post on my favorite internet kitten's Facebook.

savantrice

Post by savantrice » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:21 pm

I have a FB and twitter. Mine are essentially anti-accounts as well. I used to be more active on FB a few years ago, but I hardly use it now. Constant privacy issues, and they are always changing. I just opened a twitter account, but moreso to follow figures I want to keep up with, I dont think I have any followers

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:57 pm

I only use LinkedIn. It's a great way to stay up on what people in my industry are doing. It has also given me a presence that has lead to a number of calls from recruiters that I appreciate but am in no need of at this time. :happy

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:13 pm

I think I would say I do not "use" social media. Experimented but never inhaled. I have accounts at Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, i.e. I signed up to see what they were and never canceled, but I don't use them.

I have an "anti-Facebook account," or at least a defensive Facebook account. In trying to help organize a reunion, I've been surprised at how many people have a Facebook account with almost nothing in it--but just enough, often including name of schools attended, that we've been able to locate a number of "lost" alumni through it.

I couldn't figure out what my Twitter account was good for, so I stopped using it, but didn't bother to cancel it. I was really surprised at the number of attractive young strangers of the female persuasion--or entities claiming to be attractive young women--that tweeted me.

I have a Linked-In account with nothing in it. I keep thinking maybe I should actually fill it in, but the privacy aspects make me nervous.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Isn't this forum a "social media?'

Hope I did not ruin it for anybody.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Classification of social media

Social media technologies take on many different forms including magazines, Internet forums, weblogs, social blogs, microblogging, wikis, social networks, podcasts, photographs or pictures, video, rating and social bookmarking.

speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:48 am

I'm an outlier here. I use Twitter extensively, and Facebook quite often.

On Twitter I follow the usual suspects, plus quite a few more:

Vanguard, Mike Piper (Oblivious Investor), Larry Swedroe, Rick Ferri, Allan Roth, Wade Pfau, The Finance Buff (TFB), Bogleheads, as well as Jason Zweig, Moshe Milevsky, Richard Thaler, Zvi Bodie, Robert Shiller, Michael Kitces, Bob Seawright, Paul Krugman, and several others. Interestingly if you check who the people you are following, are following, you will soon see your own 'following' list expanding substantially (mine sure did)

The beauty of Twitter is that everything the people you're following publish, as well as many articles they are mentioned in is aggregated on one 'dashboard.' I can keep up to date with all of the above and quite a few more in just a few minutes and on one platform (in my case on an iPad using Hootsuite). I find Twitter incredibly useful, and Hootsuite (free) a very good iPad app (I think they do all the other platforms as well). Hootsuite is perhaps a little complex to set up at first, however once running it is a huge time saver here. Note there are tons of Twitter apps out there, mostly free, and so if you don't like one, just go get another.

Facebook I use much less often, however I still do find it useful. One site I have liked is Consumer Reports. They do status updates pretty much daily, often looking for input for projects they are working on, but also linking interesting test results, and product updates. I've also friended a couple of other companies, Costco being one who also seems to be using Facebook quite effectively.

I would also add that over the last few years I've ditched all paper versions of the newspapres and magazines I used to have delivered here, and I now receive them all digitally on my iPad, through either Zinio, Press Reader, or Apple's Newsstand. These three are subscribed services however I get all the publications in exactly the same format as the printed version, immediately when published, and at a substantial discount to the paper version, plus there there is no recycling involved.

Yes I'm retired, in my mid sixties, and certainly a technology buff.

SB...
"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal" -Robert A. Heinlein

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:41 pm

I answered no, even though I'm on facebook multiple times a day. I am highly active on a couple of medical support boards that happen to reside on facebook, so I have an account to participate in these groups. But I go straight to the group pages; my homepage (or wall? I'm not sure I know what the wall is) contains little info other than a profile photo (which is of my children, not me) and I rarely visit it. I do use chat to exchange info with other support group members.

I stopped accepting friend requests after discovering the dark side of having too much information. I spent many long hours tracking down research data for someone whose daughter is in a particularly sad and difficult situation. But because I had "friend" status I learned that she holds views deeply offensive to me. She has thanked me effusively and repeatedly tells me what a wonderful person I am, which makes me cringe because I am in fact the kind of person she insists is evil (she doesn't know this). I don't regret helping her - I still help her - but I wish I didn't know so much about her.

So no, I don't use social media, even though I use it daily.

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:17 pm

LinkedIn only. No FB or Twitter. Frankly, it was irritating to me that when I had FB, I was expected to know everything that any friend had posted on their own FB. I would get flak from people because I didn't know that (for example) their mom passed away. "I posted that on FB two weeks ago!" I didn't look at it that often and that was worse than not having it.

So I deleted it and told everyone I don't use it so don't expect me to know anything if it was only on FB. The upside was that friends would then call me and we could have a nice conversation, much more meaningful than reading a short blurb on FB. Also I got tired of people I didn't particularly care for asking to be my "friend". I wasn't going to spend the time sorting out who could see what. I'm in the phone book in the same place I have always lived so anyone I know who really wants to get in touch with me can do it. My friends all know where I work so they can find me via LinkedIn too.

There are times it would be easier to have a FB account but on balance it was not worth it to me. I really value my privacy, and no offense to those who are comfortable using FB. It's just not for me. I have seen how careers and relationships can be hurt by online misunderstandings, drama and maliciousness. Too easy for someone who decides they don't like you to cause you grief from behind a keyboard.

Dougroseville

Post by Dougroseville » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:26 pm

I 'use' Twitter to follow the activity (mostly links to blog entries and articles) of people of interest (Swedroe and mostly tech people in my fields of interest). I seldom tweet - definitely less than once a month on average. I use Twitter (in addition to RSS) as a source to the Flipboard app on the iPad - it is free and fantastic. I know some people don't like Twitter ("Why would I want to know what Paris Hilton had for breakfast?"); If you are selective, you can get some good information.

I use LinkedIn to keep track of past colleagues (and not need to worry about losing their addresses as they change positions, etc.). I occasionally participate in some technical discussions in some special interest Groups. I have held off using the LinkedIn app because of relatively poor reviews (and some early privacy security bugs which I don't know have been resolved).

My wife has a Facebook account, but virtually never logs into it. I don't like anything about Facebook (getting friend requests from people I don't care to stay in touch with, sharing information very publicly, getting requests to play games or take personality tests, being encouraged by dentists to 'Like' them, poor default privacy settings, privacy policies that frequently change).

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:42 pm

I use Facebook because my children use Facebook and that is where all the pictures of my two beautiful grandsons can be found. Anything other than that, not so much.

speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Dougroseville wrote:I 'use' Twitter to follow the activity (mostly links to blog entries and articles) of people of interest (Swedroe and mostly tech people in my fields of interest). I seldom tweet - definitely less than once a month on average. I use Twitter (in addition to RSS) as a source to the Flipboard app on the iPad - it is free and fantastic. I know some people don't like Twitter ("Why would I want to know what Paris Hilton had for breakfast?"); If you are selective, you can get some good information.
Gotta agree on Flipboard. It's a fantastic iPad app. I also occasionally use RSS (Google reader) however I'm using it less since customizing my Hootsuite streams. Twitter can really help you keep up with what's new in your 'universe of interest.'

Like Doug (above) I very seldom send tweets.

SB...
Last edited by speedbump101 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal" -Robert A. Heinlein

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:56 pm

I'm on facebook. All. The. Time. Well, when I'm bored at work and in front of a computer. So, it's probably only half the time.

It's quite tedious when the old 'uns insist on not using fb. I have to download photos of family babies from fb posts and email them to my dad. :annoyed

Anyway, I'm also on Bogleheads.org a lot, so I view that as social media too. Don't you?
Sarah

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:04 pm

I have a Facebook account, but don't use it regularly. I opened that account because the charity I was an officer had an account for fundraising and advertising, so I joined. I am glad I did, I found some old friends by searching on it.

I opened a LinkedIn account to find old colleagues and I did, and some found me. In addition, I am able to keep up with my son's careers, good things which hadn't been mentioned by them. By the way, both found excellent positions because of LinkedIn.

I am pleased with both. I don't understand, though, the need of some people on Facebook, who have to write that they went shopping today. I have placed them on ignore so I don't have to read them.

If anyone would like to connect, send a pm
Last edited by Sheepdog on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Can someone tell me what this has to do with finance or investing?

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:08 pm

mptfan wrote:Can someone tell me what this has to do with finance or investing?
I think this section is Personal Consumer Issues, not finance of investing.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Everyone I follow on Twitter 'has to do with finance and investing.' Aggregating what they write, what is written about them, and the hyperlinks provided, can be greatly simplified by the selective use of social networking tools.

SB...

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:23 pm

speedbump101 wrote:
Everyone I follow on Twitter 'has to do with finance and investing.'
I don't think "this" referred to Twitter.

speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:35 pm

sscritic wrote:
speedbump101 wrote:
Everyone I follow on Twitter 'has to do with finance and investing.'
I don't think "this" referred to Twitter.

The OP asked who used social media, and my response was yes I do (Twitter, FB, and RSS) about 90% for finance and investing purposes, and about 10% for consumer information. Does this clarify the issue?

SB..

FlyHi

Post by FlyHi » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Showing German Shepherds is my hobby so when I wanted to buy one in May I joined FB to get onto the German Shepherd groups there. I have never twittered and hope I never have to.
“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Facebook, you either love it....or you go to anonymous message board (which is a lot like social networking, but, y'know, with fake names) to unironically complain about it. :)

Facebook is too dang useful. Yeah, there's the nice stuff about seeing pics that your friends took on the last trip you went on together, or pictures of your baby nephew. But the real sell for me is the practical: Every business that I frequent or care about, I like. I get updates from a new business struggling to open by the end of the month and a local museum that I support just ready to start construct, I know when the local brewery is rolling out their new IPA, when happy hour, what food truck is going to be there on which night, or what volunteer opportunities are coming up from the local bike club. This is all gleaned within the span of a couple minutes from my cell phone. I think that's pretty handy.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:08 pm

My colleagues and acquaintances put all their baby and vacation pictures on Facebook, and assume I look at them, rather than forcing them on me at the water cooler. So Facebook is very valuable to me, even if I never get an account.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:31 pm

I posted the poll because of another thread that explained a new online service (I refuse to mention it's name for fear of adding to it's search ranking). The new service scours social media, aggregates data and produces a score for that person. Businesses use the resulting scores to offer discounts, upgrades and other perks to people with high scores, and some businesses presumably set the price you see when shopping online based on your score. Thus, presumably you could save money if you had a high score. But it seems to me you really need to give up alot of your privacy to get a high social media ranking, in exchange for unknown gain.

It got me wondering if Bogleheads already use social media, and thus might already have high scores, or if the promise of financial savings would induce Bogleheads to give up some privacy and use social media to get higher scores. It seems that overwhelmingly, neither is the case.

interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:52 pm

bengal22 wrote:Classification of social media

Social media technologies take on many different forms including magazines, Internet forums, weblogs, social blogs, microblogging, wikis, social networks, podcasts, photographs or pictures, video, rating and social bookmarking.
By that token, Usenet certainly qualified - seen in that light, I've been using online social media since the 1980s.

I burnt out on much online "social" interaction after about 15 years of being a fairly empassioned believer. I wonder if we'll see something similar happen with more people as they approach that point. I credit some degree of disillusion as to how and to what degree online communication really brings people closer together. Or, maybe I'm an outlier.

I have no family that will talk with me except for my children and my ex, so the baby picture thing isn't nearly as big a deal. To paraphrase epilnk, I'm the kind of person they insist is evil and they know it, so that's that. :|

-janet

Winthorpe

Post by Winthorpe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:08 pm

bengal22 wrote:Isn't this forum a "social media?'

Blasphemy!

Thanks for destroying my self-image!

aja8888

Post by aja8888 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:11 pm

englishgirl wrote: It's quite tedious when the old 'uns insist on not using fb. I have to download photos of family babies from fb posts and email them to my dad. :annoyed
At least you aren't asked to print them out and send them by the USPS! :!:

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:58 pm

You ruined it for me LOL! :p

But using the list in the poll, I have none of them. No FB, Twitter, or any of that other nonsense. No cell phone, either (I hate those things).

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:43 pm

SurfCityBill wrote:I only use LinkedIn. It's a great way to stay up on what people in my industry are doing. It has also given me a presence that has lead to a number of calls from recruiters that I appreciate but am in no need of at this time. :happy
I also use LinkedIn but never thought of them as social media. I use it as a business tool and yes, I have received job inquiries based on my listing.

I voted no to everything although someday I may decide to register on Facebook so that I can access business or product opportunities. Using a false name as mentioned above seems to be a good solution to avoid all the tracking that FB does...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:50 pm

scrabbler1 wrote:

You ruined it for me LOL! :p

But using the list in the poll, I have none of them. No FB, Twitter, or any of that other nonsense. No cell phone, either (I hate those things).
Is it ironic that 50% of the respondents answered on a social media site that they don't use social media?

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:26 pm

I chose "I use only Other Social Media" because it was the closest match. I actually have a Linkedin account, but not Facebook or Twitter, so the best response would be "Linkedin and other social media." I don't use the Linkedin for anything, though.

"Other Social Media" would be this and other message boards, primarily.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:50 pm

is this the start of another poll?

somehow, in my humble opinion, Bogleheads.org does not rank as social media.
finding this forum saved my financial future - not the same thing that SOCIAL medias like twitter or FB or could do
just saying...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:55 pm

Yes, though many features of some social networking media aren't here (setting up a network). It's focused on a more specific realm of topics (thanks moderators!) but so are many others (LinkedIn). It doesn't have an open API like Facebook, but neither did Friendster, Tribe, etc. User generated content, user interaction, social media.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:03 pm

I use twitter in much the same way that speedbump101 does.

I also have a Facebook account that I use to see pictures of our beloved nieces and nephews. I rarely post anything.

And, like some above, I have an alternative-identity FB account that I use for when websites require me to log in with my FB account. (Heck if I want to post that junk on my actual account...)
Mike Piper, author/blogger

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:39 pm

1530jesup wrote:

is this the start of another poll?

somehow, in my humble opinion, Bogleheads.org does not rank as social media.
finding this forum saved my financial future - not the same thing that SOCIAL medias like twitter or FB or could do
just saying...
Agreed; in fact this board is specifically designed to avoid functioning as social media. I assume we're within a few posts of the "this topic has run its course" lock.

Allan

Post by Allan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:47 pm

I use and read Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn pretty much daily. Probably spend 10-15 minutes a day on all 3 combined, just like I visit and read CNN.com, Chron.com (Houston Chronicle), and a few other sites. The Boglehead forum (in my opinion) is definitely social media, I see very little difference between it and Twitter or Facebook. And not that it matters, but I am 61.

Allan

peppers

Post by peppers » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:19 pm

No Facebook. But I do enjoy watching Korean soap operas dubbed in Spanish and English. Very educational.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

BL

Post by BL » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:26 pm

I have signed in to all three with my full name, but only really look at Facebook where I can keep up with some of my family and see pictures. I did see an advantage when a city-wide problem arose so cell-phones were overwhelmed and this became a way of communicating.

FabLab

Post by FabLab » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Can't claim to ever have had an account with any of these forms. I do have a telephone though :sharebeer
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:16 pm

sscritic wrote:I answered no, but I actually have a Facebook account. I have no friends and I am no one's friend (are those relationships reciprocal?). I also never post. I have no data associated with me. I almost never login, but sometimes a search will point me to a Facebook page and I need to login to see that page. You might say I have an anti-Facebook account; does that count as social media?
Same here. I even used a fake name. I had to have it to login to watch some sporting events online. The word "social media" makes me want to puke. Not sure why, it just does.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

c00kie

Post by c00kie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:58 pm

I am on Facebook daily.

It keeps me connected with my children, nieces, nephews and even my great nieces and great nephews.

Knowing what their doing makes me feel much closer to them. Maybe I like it so much because the kids post extensively. What they are doing on the weekends, a trip to the zoo, the first day or pre-school, etc.

All the best,
Cookie
Cookie

SHL

Post by SHL » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm on Facebook, although I don't publish any personal infromation and seldom post anything.

Recently joined Twitter as @Steedy357 and enjoy tweeting. So far, Donald Trump is my favorite "tweep". :mrgreen:
Stephen

Eureka

Post by Eureka » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:42 am

I love Facebook. It allows me to stay in touch with dozens of interesting people I worked with during a three-decade newspaper career. Some are still at my old paper, not far away, but others are scatterd all over the counry and even the world. I love seeing pictures of their kids and getting updates on their careers. Some are still in journalism, and some aren't. I have newspaper friends ranging in age from their 20s to their '80s.

Several former colleagues have died this year (a couple far, far too young), and it has been wonderful to trade stories about their exploits and oddities. Facebook reminds me of the wide-ranging conversations we used to have in the newsroom during slow periods or between editions, but it's even better because I don't have to produce a newspaper at the end of the night.

Dave C.

Post by Dave C. » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:02 pm

I take full responsibility for the problem that caused me to abandon Faceook (and all other social media).

My 22 year old daughter sent me a very nice, thoughtful message on my new Facebook page. I sent a return message commenting on what she said and adding a few thoughtful comments of my own....not hugely private, but meant for her only.

Within five minutes I had messages from five people ( mainly her friends, one of mine) commenting on the nature of my message to my daughter. I was mildly shocked and felt like my private comments were stolen and hung out on the line for all viewers.....as I was quickly informed, they were.

Totally my fault. Naive? I guess I was. Using a social media without first understanding the process...guilty. I know now I could have made my comments "private"', as I wrongly assumed they were.

I now "get it" about what Facebook and other social media is all about. They seem to be highly valued by millions of people, many of whom are my friends and in my family.

But not me. I'll call my daughter if I want to talk to her. I am a 60 year old man who is fascinated by the social media phenomenon......but I am quickly bored reading the posts, have nothing to share with the world at large, and prefer to call you, or stop over, or set up a coffee, or even send/respond to a text on my cell.

I love to play my way through this life....but I insist on picking the games I play. 8-)
Easy does it/Live & Let Live/One day at a time. Thanks Bill.