New version of KeePass question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
zaplunken

New version of KeePass question

Post by zaplunken » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:21 pm

I assume this is legit as my 2.19 version says there's a new version 2.20 -

I am extremely cautious about upgrading. Is this a stable upgrade or is it compatible with what I am using or worse is this a legit notification. I assume the latter is no worry as KeePass it self is notifying me but I am wondering about the 1st 2 things.

Has anyone that is using KeePass upgraded? I trust my current userids and passwords are incorporated in the new version and I don't have to re-enter them? Anyone have problems doing the upgrade or using KeePass after an upgrade?

TIA!

Sidney

Re: New version of KeePass question

Post by Sidney » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm

I am still at 2.14. I haven't read any release notes. I usually try to find out what the upgrades are for and whether I need them.

I would recommend that you (a) back up the db to wherever you do backups and (b) export the db to something like Excel while you do the upgrade. At least then you have the data intact in case something gets corrupted. A bit of belt and suspenders but not a big deal to do it.

I am a big believer in backing up to alternate platforms where possible. For example, I periodically export the db to Excel and stash this file in a Truecrypt volume. I have seen too many systems evolve to the point where they don't work.

I also print a copy and lock it in the safe deposit box -- this is the only platform that my spouse will be sure to access if I get run over.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:51 pm

I am also using 2.19, so thanks for the notification about the new version. Have you gone to the website to see the changes? The comparion between the versions is given at http://keepass.info/news/n120908_2.20.html

One of the first things they state is, "This is a stable release. It is recommended to upgrade from any previous 2.x version to 2.20."

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

Topic Author
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:53 pm

I do have a printed copy in my SDB but I wouldn't want to type it all back in. So to avoid that I have a copy of the database on 2 different backup disks... just in case one doesn't work, that's belt and suspenders! :sharebeer

I read the changes (and the comment about a stable release but would they ever say it is not all that stable! OF COURSE it is stable! :wink: ) but it's Greek to me, I have no idea what the heck these changes mean. I doubt I need to do this but I just started to use KP about 2 months ago and don't want to find that by ignoring updates in a year or two my current stuff is NG.

Anyone do the upgrade?

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:58 pm

I updated to 2.20 the other day without any problem.

I always keep the installation file for the working version and don't delete it until the new upgrade proves itself. I also have a solid backup scheme so I can always go back to a working version of the data file.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Read here to get the information about the new release: http://keepass.info/news/n120908_2.20.html

There are two bugfixes in the release: a minor display oddity on Windows systems (more of an annoyance than a bug) and a possible file header corruption attack (severity is unrated). Everything else appears to be feature improvements, new features and code efficiency improvements. So whether or not to upgrade really depends on if you need one of those new/improved features or if you think the header corruption issue is severe enough to warrant it (and I can't really find a description of the attack to judge this, but I only searched Google for about 5 minutes since I'm busy today).

Edit: Didn't see that NAVigator had also posted the link to the changelog since I was writing at the same time, but that's my summary of the changelog if it helps any.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Is KeePass better than LastPass?
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

brianH

Post by brianH » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:09 pm

I usually keep my KeePass up to date, but I haven't noticed much in the release notes that have been must-upgrade features. I've never had an issue with DB corruption after an update, but as others have mentioned, backup the DB file (and any keyfiles) prior to the upgrade. All of the old versions are available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass ... ass%202.x/ if you need to rollback.
chaz wrote:Is KeePass better than LastPass?
I use it for my high-profile sites, as the cloud model of LP is inherently less secure than keeping it all local. I do use LP for the 'don't care' sites, because the browser plugin works really well.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:24 pm

brianH wrote:I usually keep my KeePass up to date, but I haven't noticed much in the release notes that have been must-upgrade features. I've never had an issue with DB corruption after an update, but as others have mentioned, backup the DB file (and any keyfiles) prior to the upgrade. All of the old versions are available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass ... ass%202.x/ if you need to rollback.
chaz wrote:Is KeePass better than LastPass?
I use it for my high-profile sites, as the cloud model of LP is inherently less secure than keeping it all local. I do use LP for the 'don't care' sites, because the browser plugin works really well.
Brian, thanks.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

johnny72

Post by johnny72 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:07 am

herp derp
Last edited by johnny72 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

family_doc

Post by family_doc » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 am

I upgraded to 2.20 also.....No problems on a Win 7 64 bit OS...I have multiple backups on multiple hd's, so reversion back not a problem if a goofup.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 am

johnny72 wrote:I upgraded to 2.2 - no problems. I agree on the LP vs KP thoughts earlier. I would never use LP for an account that could transfer money.
OK, I think I a convinced to move fromLastPass to Keepass, can I make an easy transition without re-entering everything??
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 am

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
johnny72 wrote:I upgraded to 2.2 - no problems. I agree on the LP vs KP thoughts earlier. I would never use LP for an account that could transfer money.
OK, I think I a convinced to move fromLastPass to Keepass, can I make an easy transition without re-entering everything??
KeePass does have an import function and lists maybe two dozen different formats but LastPass is not among them. It does import generic CSV files so if you van get LastPass to spit out one of those you are in luck. Can't hurt to download KeePass and see what works. Let us know!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

jchef

Post by jchef » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 am

Here's an article from May that explains how to transfer from Lastpass to Keepass with a csv file. However, things could have changed since May, so be sure to check if each step still makes sense before doing it.

http://www.guidingtech.com/11787/transf ... right-way/

FNK

Post by FNK » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:12 am

zaplunken wrote:(and the comment about a stable release but would they ever say it is not all that stable! OF COURSE it is stable! :wink: )
Self-respecting software engineers will tell you whether it's a beta (we've thrown in a load of new features, but things may break in curious ways) or a stable release (we fixed all the curious brokenness we could find, and refrained from heaping on new untested features). If you don't trust them with this judgement, you should not trust them with your passwords.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:46 am

I upgraded without a second thought, as I always assume for KeePass there are important reasons for the update. I suppose if someone wanted to insure against a file corruption one could copy their KeePass file prior to upgrading.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser

brianH

Post by brianH » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:47 am

jchef wrote:Here's an article from May that explains how to transfer from Lastpass to Keepass with a csv file. However, things could have changed since May, so be sure to check if each step still makes sense before doing it.

http://www.guidingtech.com/11787/transf ... right-way/
One of the comments to that article points out something I noticed: LastPass does not (didn't when I tried) provide a decently formatted export option. It will generally work, but expect to perform some manual cleanup of the field mapping from the CSV. Note all the convenient Import options into LP, and then compare that to the Export options.

Those that use LastPass, let this be a quick reminder that they are a company who views your data as their property. They are going to make it as difficult as possible to move to a competitor as they think they can get away with.

Topic Author
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Thread drift. This is about upgrading to the newest version of KeePass not whether to use LastPass. Thanks.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:32 pm

I would check out the keypass reviews. Like on cnet or whatever. And check the bug reports from the universe of keypass users. -- Tet

family_doc

Post by family_doc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:13 am

I upgraded to KP version 2.2 successfully. No problems as yet. I run Windows 7 64-bit.

With kindest regards,

family_doc

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:55 am

I upgraded with no problems. I use the portable version which doesn't actually install on the PC. I saved the old version and a copy of the db so it really doesn't involve any risk.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Topic Author
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:56 pm

I did it about 2 weeks ago, no problems.

Thanks for your feedback.