Will you get an iPhone 5?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Poll ended at Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Yes.
33%
No, I don't want a smartphone.
29%
No, I prefer a different smartphone.
38%

Total votes: 187

Topic Author
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

Jake46

Re: Will you get an iPhone 5?

Post by Jake46 »

Ordered yesterday to replace my 3GS.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Different smartphone for me. Since I'm in the accumulation phase I try to spend as little as possible on items such as this and direct it towards retirement savings. $25/month plan through Virgin Mobile. My friends tell me I'm cheap and have a crappy phone.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

No poll choice for me. I don't know yet. It depends on a couple things. My 3Gs still works great and supposedly will work fine with the new iOS 6. So we'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll wait for the next iPhone or opt to spring for the extra $200 during the interim. -- Tet
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

I have been upgrading with every other subsequent generation so it is time. I am pretty much hooked.
Topic Author
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

From work I will soon have the choice to get either an iPhone 5 or a Samsung Galaxy S3. I don't like either particularly, so I will probably get the S3 and put the sim card in another phone I already own. I wouldn't be able to do that with the non-standard iPhone 5 sim card, even though I wouldn't mind taking the iPhone 5 for a spin.
etf

Post by etf »

i wonder how long it will be before someone estimates the total retirement savings you would have if you invested the total 2 year cost of owning a new iphone.
Bulldawg

Post by Bulldawg »

happy with the I4 ; my daughter will be happy to pick up her I4 that's now free with a contract
" IN GOD WE TRUST " ( official motto of the United States )
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Will you get a iPhone 6, when they come out?
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

No iPhone, but I've almost talked myself into buying the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 when it comes out (my internal tech geek side has about 80% convinced the internal budget cop). I have a Wacom digitizing tablet PC (full Windows 7 PC) at work and I just love the handwriting recognition and detail that a Wacom screen can get you, but I haven't wanted to personally pay the price most Wacom tablet PCs cost. The Galaxy Note uses a Wacom digitizer, but has a much more reasonable price.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I must be way out of touch because I don't even carry a cell phone.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
phositadc

Post by phositadc »

delete
Last edited by phositadc on Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

work provides a crappy flip phone for free. I have to pay for personal calls that are outside the network, but that usually accounts for about a buck a month. Can't justify the cost.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Oh yes. I will be getting one. The only question is when. I have an iPhone 4, and the 2-year contract is up on that in November. So do I get a 5 then, or wait a year until the next one comes out and the price on the 5 drops? Decisions, decisions.
Sarah
Toons

Post by Toons »

No :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

I had planned to - my 3GS has a crack in the case and rapidly declining battery life. But now I'm not so sure. I don't want anything larger; women's pockets tend to be smaller than men's, and my current phone barely fits in some of my pockets. And of course there's that new connector everyone is whining about. So maybe I'll get a 4 instead, or rehab my 3GS.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

the question whoul be like this " Will I get cell phone?" Answer "NO". I save by doing this at list $ 50 to $100 a month. Land-line!!!!!
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Motorola Triumph with Virgin mobile - decent phone - 1/3 the cost of my prior service (Verizon).
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Rob5TCP wrote:Motorola Triumph with Virgin mobile - decent phone - 1/3 the cost of my prior service (Verizon).
I damped Verizon. They are horrible!
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

I voted NO. But I didn't vote for my wife.
etherscreen78

Post by etherscreen78 »

would love one, but don't want to pay for it.

by choice i don't carry a cell phone now. never really have.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

etherscreen78 wrote:

by choice i don't carry a cell phone now. never really have.
are we related? :happy
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

The iPhones are great devices, but they are too expensive for my taste. I tend not to enjoy anything that I perceive as overpriced.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Why does anyone NEED it?
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy »

I used to have an iphone 4 for work and got really spoiled by it. When I changed jobs I get a non-smart prepaid phone, saved my pennies, and waited for the release of the iphone 5. I pre-ordered it today and can't wait for it to arrive.

As a side note, I really like putting off tech purchases because the anticipation of new features and/or lower prices is gratifying. I still have a CRT television, and my macbook is now six years old. I'm really looking forward to replacing them both at some point in the next five years, but waiting seems to be part of the fun for me.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I won't, but I would think it would depend on your cycle. If you got a 4 on Verizon when they came out, your two years are up in February or March. I suggested to my son-in-law that he not get a 5 in March, but wait until next September and get the brand new 6.
Frobie

Post by Frobie »

Not planning to. Have an iPhone 4 and my contract is up next month, but it meets my needs just fine so I don't really see any reason to change.

I'm a bit worried about iOS 6, though. Apparently the maps are changing and transit directions will no longer be provided. I use that feature semi-regularly. Guess I'll need to find a third-party app to figure that stuff out from now on.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

No, since I don't qualify for an upgrade until next year. Currently use an Android phone which I am not perfectly happy with but it is acceptable since I only paid $100 for it. I"m cheap with this stuff, too.
Dadarkar

Post by Dadarkar »

Not planning to. Have an iPhone 4 and my contract is up next month, but it meets my needs just fine so I don't really see any reason to change.

+1
Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

pennstater2005 wrote:Different smartphone for me. Since I'm in the accumulation phase I try to spend as little as possible on items such as this and direct it towards retirement savings. $25/month plan through Virgin Mobile. My friends tell me I'm cheap and have a crappy phone.
This. But I use a Straight Talk.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I only use a dumb phone.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Frobie wrote: I'm a bit worried about iOS 6, though. Apparently the maps are changing and transit directions will no longer be provided. I use that feature semi-regularly. Guess I'll need to find a third-party app to figure that stuff out from now on.
Just don't upgrade your OS. Stay at iOS 5 and nothing will change. If you do happen to update to iOS 6 at some point, there's no going back unless your phone is jailbroken (lots of online instructions on how to do this), so you may want to wait a while to see how the new maps app pans out.

iPhones are the one material splurge I allow for myself every year. I've tried to resist in the past, but they're just so cool looking and well built. I'll probably be picking one up this Friday, even though I have absolutely no legitimate need for it over my 4S.
jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks »

If you have an older iPhone and are on a plan where you're paying a rate which included a subsidized phone you might as well upgrade as soon as your contract is up and sell your old phone. If you're not going to do that you should switch to prepaid. Otherwise you're paying a higher rate without taking advantage of the baked in subsidy.
Leif

Post by Leif »

No category fits me since I have a 4S and I'm still under contract. It is certainly evolutionary, not revolutionary. But I'm looking forward to the iOS 6 update, particularly the voice guided GPS.
og15F1

Post by og15F1 »

There's probably a 60% chance I get an iPhone 5, 40% change I get an iPhone 6

My wife and I have iPhone 4's right now, not 4S, and our contract is up in one month. I plan to continue month to month and to unlock the handsets. We will upgrade when one of the phones breaks, I guess, but it will DEFINITELY be to another iPhone.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Nope, Apple iPhones have no keyboard. One size does not fit all.
gd

Post by gd »

Just starting to consider that maybe in a few years I might start to be entertained by a smartphone enough to be worth buying one, no. But having been looking at apple's phones with an eye towards purchasing one as a gift for a fellow non-smartphone user, also no. I ran across a "10 reasons not to buy an iPhone 5" article yesterday, and it was compelling. Unlike full computers and tablets, smartphones are more gadgets than appliances. They are not appropriate for technophobes. Ease of use is not the priority, technology is. And unless you're fully invested in the Apple walled garden, the iPhone has fallen behind.
Edit: as an example, start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NF ... d_handsets
Popeye5782

Post by Popeye5782 »

Happy with my HTC Inspire 4g. When the contract is up I'll probably go with a galaxy s3 or HTC one x.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I don't want a smartphone.

I do feel slightly out of it when when I can't point my phone at one of those two-dimensional QR codes even though I know that all it's going to do is allow me to view an ad.

I definitely am aware of the creeping increase in "ways to pay for this-and-that with your smartphone" and foresee that eventually there will enough purchases I "need" to make, that will become so difficult to do without one, that I'll be "forced" to get one. It is always possible to stay out of the cultural mainstream if you want to expend the psychic energy to do it, or simply don't have the money to do it, but I suppose if I were really being careful I'd budget an extra $40 a month starting in 2022 for the smartphone I will, by then, "need" to have. (I'm sorry, sir, what is this? A paper ticket? I'm going to have to call my supervisor, I don't know if I can take this. There's a long line behind you, would you mind stepping aside for a few minutes while I help the people with real tickets first?)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

I have never owned an iPhone. But I have an iPad, which I truly love
Erwin
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

madbrain wrote:Nope, Apple iPhones have no keyboard. One size does not fit all.
This is a huge stumbling block for me as well and there are really two issues as I see it. Tactile feedback with distinct buttons allows me to type arbitrary text (including numbers and symbols and non-human-language text) quite quickly, I manage 50+wpm on my old Tmobile G1 ("touch thumbing?"). The other issue is that onscreen keyboards take up a large portion of a screen when they do pop-up. If you need to *interact* with something through typing (like over a login session) instead of filling out fields and then hitting "ok", onscreen keyboards usually take up so much of your screen real estate.

I still carry my old G1 because of the keyboard. As soon as some manufacturer comes up with something with a 5-row physical keyboard, a 4-6" screen, and no Pentile (a display technology that hurts my eyes and brain like crazy) I will get it, I don't really care which carrier it uses, how fast it is or what rev of whatever OS it runs...or even whether it's a phone or not. The physical parameters really trump everything else for me.

I carry a Sony Tablet P as well. This is a marvelous tablet if you carry a purse, it has folding screens that unfold to around 7" but slips easily into almost any bag. It's quirky but a wonderful complement to a smaller device with a hardware keyboard.

I admire what Apple has done with the iPhone line, but to be truthful my needs from my portable electronics are something like 60%/35%/5% ssh logins/web browsing/phone calls. I understand I'm not a mainstream user where smartphones or tablets are concerned.

-janet
Dan-Fl

Post by Dan-Fl »

I probably will not get an Iphone5
I would like a really good phone, but just a phone. That is all I need.
I don't care to have internet with me all the time, and music is not my thing.
I love my Ipad2.
I have a basic Samsung phone and it is not good. Anyone have a recommendation for a really good, reliable phone.
If I got an iphone, I would buy it outright with Virgin Mobile I think, except it looks like their signal strength at my home is not too good.
Dan-Fl
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

No, had one in the past, I think it was a 3 but now prefer my android pretty smart phone. I find I am making much more use of my Nexus 7 tablet and if WiFi were more ubiquitous I might get myself a really dumb phone.

BUT, I am headed to China in a few weeks and the timing is right for me to pick up some discarded 4s phones from early adopters and gift my Chinese friends, they love them.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

No iPhone for me.
I'm happy with my Droid X2, tho I wouldn't mind getting a newer droid with 4G LTE capability...
Attempted new signature...
Allan

Post by Allan »

I am absolutely going to buy and iPhone5. I know Droids are preferred by many, and I'm sure they have some advantages (and maybe disadvantages?) over an iPhone, but I've become used to the iPhone. I send dozens of emails and texts a day from my iPhone, not near a computer. And while I carry an iPad, my iPhone is always in my pocket. I send most emails and texts by speaking what I want to say, this is a lot quicker than typing, I use the microphone function (not Siri). I also use several apps daily. I also prefer to check my equities at Vanguard and Fidelity and bank accounts via my iPhone than use my desktop, it is quicker for me. I use Google Voice for messages and the app is great.

Allan
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

No iPhone for me, but I will be buying an iPod Touch 5 for my book reading, picture taking, games and misc Intertube access where there be wi-fi.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
chaz

Post by chaz »

I'm getting iOS 6 for my iPad, not for my dumb phone.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

It is tempting to get one, but I really don't have a need for one especially when I calculated that it would cost about $1600 for a two year contract on AT&T at the cheapest. So I will pass on one for now and keep my GoPhone.
Best Wishes, | Joe
chaz

Post by chaz »

mpt follower wrote:I have never owned an iPhone. But I have an iPad, which I truly love
Me too.