Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Leesbro63
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by Leesbro63 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:23 pm

My 2 year old "iPhone 4" has just come off contract with AT&T. And it looks and works like new. Is there some cheaper plan I can get somewhere that will use this phone? I have my wife on PAGEPLUS for $12 per month including taxes (although she doesn't use it much...so a limited use plan like that is good for her but not me). Is there something like this for an AT&T iPhone 4?

hlfo718
Posts: 768
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:17 am
Location: NYC

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by hlfo718 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:34 pm

www.puretalkusa.com about $38/month.

retiredjg
Posts: 32702
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by retiredjg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:40 pm

You could check out Consumer Cellular for ultra cheap rates, especially if your usage is low. They are on the ATT network. And they just started offering iPhones. Maybe it will work for you.

I get smart phone service a little less than $25 a month. A little more if I'm traveling and using a lot of GPS service. But I am a very low volume user.

One feature I really like is you can change your service if you are approaching/have gone over the limit. In fact, they send you an alert. Then the next month, you just drop it back down to your usual limits.

D-Man
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:11 am

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by D-Man » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Check out Straight Talk to see if they are in your area: http://www.straighttalk.com/

Their iPhone plans are $45 / month for unlimited talk, messaging, and data. You do lose MMS messaging and visual voicemail.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing in a few months when my contract with AT&T expires.

levendis
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by levendis » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:07 am

Virgin Mobile works with iPhones now - $35/month for unlimited data, unlimited texts, 300 mins, no contract. Uses the Sprint network. If you talk more than that, they have other cheap plans.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/

osarsiph
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by osarsiph » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:20 am

levendis wrote:Virgin Mobile works with iPhones now - $35/month for unlimited data, unlimited texts, 300 mins, no contract. Uses the Sprint network. If you talk more than that, they have other cheap plans.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/
I don't think you can use an old AT&T iPhone on the Virgin Mobile network. AT&T is GSM and Virgin Mobile (Sprint) is CDMA; incompatible technologies.

Mudpuppy
Posts: 5889
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm

osarsiph wrote:
levendis wrote:Virgin Mobile works with iPhones now - $35/month for unlimited data, unlimited texts, 300 mins, no contract. Uses the Sprint network. If you talk more than that, they have other cheap plans.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/
I don't think you can use an old AT&T iPhone on the Virgin Mobile network. AT&T is GSM and Virgin Mobile (Sprint) is CDMA; incompatible technologies.
And since the iPhone 4 does not support the now-standard LTE 4G protocol, this is an important distinction. It is a 3G phone supporting GSM and HSPA+ (sometimes called a "3.5G" protocol), so it will only work on 3G GSM networks.

Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned the carrier locking issue. The contract might have ended, but the phone is still locked to AT&T. Some people have had luck getting AT&T to unlock their out-of-contract phones though.

Edit: typo

User avatar
prudent
Moderator
Posts: 5443
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by prudent » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Mudpuppy wrote: Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned the carrier locking issue. The contract might have ended, but the phone is still locked to AT&T. Some people have had luck getting AT&T to unlock their out-of-contract phones though.
Yeah, I came in this thread to mention that. For unlocking to be processed, AT&T requires an iPhone owner either to be a current customer or a previous customer, the iPhone must be an AT&T model, all contracts tied to the iPhone have to be completed, and the iPhone must not have been reported as stolen.

Use this link to request unlocking: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client ... dCondition

Gustie13
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by Gustie13 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:48 pm

prudent wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote: Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned the carrier locking issue. The contract might have ended, but the phone is still locked to AT&T. Some people have had luck getting AT&T to unlock their out-of-contract phones though.
Yeah, I came in this thread to mention that. For unlocking to be processed, AT&T requires an iPhone owner either to be a current customer or a previous customer, the iPhone must be an AT&T model, all contracts tied to the iPhone have to be completed, and the iPhone must not have been reported as stolen.

Use this link to request unlocking: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client ... dCondition
You don't need to do any unlocking if you get a new sim card and plan on another network, do you? I've done a fair amount of research and am looking at doing the StraightTalk plan and haven't read anything about needing to unlock my iPhone.

User avatar
linuxuser
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by linuxuser » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Gustie13 wrote:You don't need to do any unlocking if you get a new sim card and plan on another network, do you? I've done a fair amount of research and am looking at doing the StraightTalk plan and haven't read anything about needing to unlock my iPhone.
If it was as easy as just changing SIM cards, there wouldn't be vendors offering unlocking services.
That said, not sure if you will need to unlock for you to use Straighttalk.

Leesbro63
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by Leesbro63 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:09 pm

prudent wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote: Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned the carrier locking issue. The contract might have ended, but the phone is still locked to AT&T. Some people have had luck getting AT&T to unlock their out-of-contract phones though.
Yeah, I came in this thread to mention that. For unlocking to be processed, AT&T requires an iPhone owner either to be a current customer or a previous customer, the iPhone must be an AT&T model, all contracts tied to the iPhone have to be completed, and the iPhone must not have been reported as stolen.

Use this link to request unlocking: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client ... dCondition
I'm not sure when I'll go to a NOT AT&T carrier. That being said, why would I want to unlock my phone NOW...or asked another way, what's the disadvantage of having an unlocked phone. Why wouldn't EVERYONE want an unlocked phone?

User avatar
interplanetjanet
Posts: 2226
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:52 pm
Location: the wilds of central California

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by interplanetjanet » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:I'm not sure when I'll go to a NOT AT&T carrier. That being said, why would I want to unlock my phone NOW...or asked another way, what's the disadvantage of having an unlocked phone. Why wouldn't EVERYONE want an unlocked phone?
There is no disadvantage. Unlocked handsets sell for more on the used market as well. Unlock it now if they will do so.

Handset locking was introduced by the carriers as a way to take the sting (in theory) out of subsidizing handsets - it does not benefit you as an end user. Its benefit is debatable as with most subsidized handsets, you are still on the hook for a contract. It's more common in some parts of the world than others.

Prepaid carriers subsidize handsets as well, with the hope that you will stick around long enough to make it worth their while but without a legal obligation. For them, locking makes more sense. One carrier I worked for found this out the hard way when a third party bought up thousands of our handsets, made slight firmware modifications, and resold them for an unsubsidized price.

-janet

Gustie13
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by Gustie13 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:21 pm

linuxuser wrote:
Gustie13 wrote:You don't need to do any unlocking if you get a new sim card and plan on another network, do you? I've done a fair amount of research and am looking at doing the StraightTalk plan and haven't read anything about needing to unlock my iPhone.
If it was as easy as just changing SIM cards, there wouldn't be vendors offering unlocking services.
That said, not sure if you will need to unlock for you to use Straighttalk.
Yesterday I threw in my new SIM card, activated my StraightTalk account, and then changed my APN settings and my iPhone 3 that was used with AT&T now works like a charm, but for $40 less per month. No unlocking needed.

Sidney
Posts: 6678
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:06 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by Sidney » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Gustie13 wrote:
linuxuser wrote:
Gustie13 wrote:You don't need to do any unlocking if you get a new sim card and plan on another network, do you? I've done a fair amount of research and am looking at doing the StraightTalk plan and haven't read anything about needing to unlock my iPhone.
If it was as easy as just changing SIM cards, there wouldn't be vendors offering unlocking services.
That said, not sure if you will need to unlock for you to use Straighttalk.
Yesterday I threw in my new SIM card, activated my StraightTalk account, and then changed my APN settings and my iPhone 3 that was used with AT&T now works like a charm, but for $40 less per month. No unlocking needed.
I looked at ST a few months ago. Their terms of service were pretty restrictive on data (no streaming among the limitations, there may have been others but I don't recall offhand) They may have changed since then.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

User avatar
linuxuser
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by linuxuser » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Gustie13 wrote:
linuxuser wrote:
Gustie13 wrote:You don't need to do any unlocking if you get a new sim card and plan on another network, do you? I've done a fair amount of research and am looking at doing the StraightTalk plan and haven't read anything about needing to unlock my iPhone.
If it was as easy as just changing SIM cards, there wouldn't be vendors offering unlocking services.
That said, not sure if you will need to unlock for you to use Straighttalk.
Yesterday I threw in my new SIM card, activated my StraightTalk account, and then changed my APN settings and my iPhone 3 that was used with AT&T now works like a charm, but for $40 less per month. No unlocking needed.

You lucked out - Straighttalk is a reseller for ATT- or perhaps your iPhone3 was unlocked already especially if you had purchased it used from someone else.

My T-mobile SIM only worked when I unlocked my ATT iPhone.

furwut
Posts: 1308
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by furwut » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:50 pm

I too have an AT&T iPhone out of contract and I am looking to switching to StraightTalk as well. In the forums I've looked at one doesn't need to unlock the phone in order to switch to ST. But I did see here http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/30/review-th ... ight-talk/ that unlocking the phone was a good idea.
It’s important to note that since AT&T works closely with Apple on software updates, and could see this functionality as problematic for one reason or another, the ability to use Straight Talk on a locked iPhone (or any locked phone) is subject to being removed at any time at the sole discretion of the network or device manufacturer. For these and other reasons, we heavily recommend that users only make use of the Straight Talk service on unlocked devices.
How to unlock an AT&T iphone - http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/21/unlock-i ... l-support/

furwut
Posts: 1308
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by furwut » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:06 pm

I looked at ST a few months ago. Their terms of service were pretty restrictive on data (no streaming among the limitations, there may have been others but I don't recall offhand)
Good Catch Sydney! Reading Terms and Conditions is pretty rare. I just checked and the no streaming is still in there. Since all Walmart (ST) is doing is reselling AT&T or T-Mobile service I wonder how they are able to enforce such a limitation. Or maybe the carrier does it for them?

Since streaming is now such an obvious feature for a smart phone I think it is low of them to bury this limitation in the Terms where not 1 / 1000 people would see it. Highlighting is mine.
6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.


EDIT
After thinking about it for a moment I'm not sure this an issue to be overly concerned with. if ST were strictly enforcing no streaming then there would be BIG complaints about it all over the web. I didn't come across any in my research. What I did find were comments that unlimited data was in reality a 2GB / month cap. Any more and you got some sort of warning. I suppose the draconian Terms are there so that if a user truly abused the network they would have an easy way to terminate them.

madbrain
Posts: 4922
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by madbrain » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:16 am

linuxuser wrote: My T-mobile SIM only worked when I unlocked my ATT iPhone.
Yes, but your iPhone will only work as 2G on T-mobile as AT&T and T-mobile use different frequencies.
There is no iPhone model that will work on T-mobile as 3G speeds.

User avatar
linuxuser
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by linuxuser » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:35 am

madbrain wrote:
linuxuser wrote: My T-mobile SIM only worked when I unlocked my ATT iPhone.
Yes, but your iPhone will only work as 2G on T-mobile as AT&T and T-mobile use different frequencies.
There is no iPhone model that will work on T-mobile as 3G speeds.
Yes, I know.
It was just a "doing" exercise.
I am happy with my $30 T-mobile.
That iPhone sits unused and uncharged most of the time. Disappointing that Apple decided not upgrade the iOS on it.

nothlit
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by nothlit » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:28 pm

furwut wrote:
I looked at ST a few months ago. Their terms of service were pretty restrictive on data (no streaming among the limitations, there may have been others but I don't recall offhand)
Good Catch Sydney! Reading Terms and Conditions is pretty rare. I just checked and the no streaming is still in there. Since all Walmart (ST) is doing is reselling AT&T or T-Mobile service I wonder how they are able to enforce such a limitation. Or maybe the carrier does it for them?

After thinking about it for a moment I'm not sure this an issue to be overly concerned with. if ST were strictly enforcing no streaming then there would be BIG complaints about it all over the web. I didn't come across any in my research. What I did find were comments that unlimited data was in reality a 2GB / month cap. Any more and you got some sort of warning. I suppose the draconian Terms are there so that if a user truly abused the network they would have an easy way to terminate them.
I switched my iPhone 4S to Straight Talk in July and have been happily streaming Pandora on occasion just as I used to as a direct AT&T customer. No problems whatsoever. I think as long as you remain within reasonable limits (the oft-mentioned 2 GB per month or maybe 100 MB per day), you're probably fine. You hit the nail on the head when you said that few people read terms and conditions. I'm not convinced that Straight Talk's own legal team read through theirs when they added the BYOD (bring-your-own-device) option earlier this year. That no-streaming clause was in there from way back when you could only get Straight Talk service by buying a Straight Talk branded phone, and those phones did not come with the ability to install arbitrary apps, so the terms prohibited modifying those devices to stream music or videos. It seems like their terms need a broad overhaul to match them up with the reality of their new service offerings.

Also, to answer another question posed earlier in this thread, Straight Talk is an AT&T MVNO (mobile virtual network operator), meaning that a Straight Talk SIM can work in an AT&T-locked phone. You just need to make sure when ordering your SIM from Straight Talk that you choose the AT&T-compatible option, not the T-Mobile-compatible option.

When I switched to Straight Talk, I fully expected to be billed an early termination fee by AT&T. I had just renewed my contract a few months earlier for another two years. But so far AT&T has not billed me. I don't know if this is an oversight, but it's been 3 months so far. I'm reluctant to inquire about getting my phone unlocked, as I'm afraid that might trigger something in their system to send me the ETF bill. I'll happily put up with keeping my phone locked if it means I don't ever have to pay AT&T anything else.

Gustie13
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by Gustie13 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:47 am

Just wanted to update people after having switched to Straight Talk about 3 weeks ago. I haven't had any trouble with reception while talking but I have noticed that I hit dead areas that I can't connect to the internet from more frequently than I used to (I live in a suburb of a large metropolitan area, shouldn't be a problem).
All in all i've been pretty happy with the switch. Saving $40/mo is worth hitting a dead zone once a week.
Also, I didn't have my phone unlocked prior to switching to StraightTalk but did about a week afterwards (just to be safe).
Last edited by Gustie13 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 12749
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by Toons » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:53 am

The Iphone migration to StraightTalk is happening 45.00 unlimited
check it out no contract
We have 2 straightalk phones in our household,one is an android unlimited plan NO complaints,no hassle .I read the contract (data limits etc) we stream panodora also quite a bit no problems so far :happy

http://www.straighttalksim.com/
Last edited by Toons on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Booper
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by Booper » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:54 am

Gustie13 wrote:Just wanted to update people after having switched to Straight Talk about 3 weeks ago. I haven't had any trouble with reception while talking but I have noticed that I hit dead areas that I can't connect to the internet from more frequently than I used to (I like in a suburb of a large metropolitan area, shouldn't be a problem).
All in all i've been pretty happy with the switch. Saving $40/mo is worth hitting a dead zone once a week.
Also, I didn't have my phone unlocked prior to switching to StraightTalk but did about a week afterwards (just to be safe).
I have had the exact same experience. I recently switche too. I'm a bit annoyed, because people had told me that I would have the exact same user experience, which I don't. However, I also consider the change to be worth it.

Gustie13
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: Old AT&T IPhone to Cheap Network?

Post by Gustie13 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:12 pm

Booper wrote:
Gustie13 wrote:Just wanted to update people after having switched to Straight Talk about 3 weeks ago. I haven't had any trouble with reception while talking but I have noticed that I hit dead areas that I can't connect to the internet from more frequently than I used to (I like in a suburb of a large metropolitan area, shouldn't be a problem).
All in all i've been pretty happy with the switch. Saving $40/mo is worth hitting a dead zone once a week.
Also, I didn't have my phone unlocked prior to switching to StraightTalk but did about a week afterwards (just to be safe).
I have had the exact same experience. I recently switche too. I'm a bit annoyed, because people had told me that I would have the exact same user experience, which I don't. However, I also consider the change to be worth it.

Sorry for your pain but selfishly its nice to know I'm not the only one! :D

I had talked to some of my friends about doing they switch, but with the dead zones I don't know that they'd be OK with it. They're tied to their phones even more than I am, all have iPads, etc.

Post Reply