Blender Recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snyder66

Blender Recommendation

Post by snyder66 »

Mainly for making smoothies. I would like one that actually crushes ice, ours does not. Thanks
glennaudi

Re: Blender Recommendation

Post by glennaudi »

There was a thread on this some months ago, my blender is a Blendtec, expensive ($400) but worth it to me. Make green smoothies all the time after reading "eat to live". Will crush/turn to liquid virtually anything. My kids found utube videos where they demo'ed an iphone in the blendtec and turned it to dust.

Glenn
midareff

Post by midareff »

Check out the Breville 605XL 8-)
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

If you are going to use it nearly every day and plan to have it for the long haul, pay the money and buy a Vitamix.

We made it our one-and-only Christmas gift to one another a few years ago (bought the Professional Series 500 model), and haven't had a moment of regret.

Since green smoothies have been mentioned, see also Victoria Boutenko's Green for Life. Armed with that and a Vitamix, you can pretty much conquer the world.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

Just had a kale banana apple smoothie today. Awesome.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

snyder66 wrote:Just had a kale banana apple smoothie today. Awesome.
No ice?
praxis

Post by praxis »

My Oster Classic Beehive Glass simple 3 position toggle switch has been making my smoothies for at least 3 years. Ice is reduced to creamy quickly in the smoothies, which I like. Available at Walmart and Target in plastic and glass. Go for glass.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Beehive ... r/13729287. Says it's $59. but I often see them cheaper in the store.
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

Another vote for VitaMix, if you are going to use it regularly.

Great for making smoothies. I also make other stuff like Hummus, Pesto, Soups and so on with it.

Had it for a couple of years, and worth every penny (bought ours at Costco).
StillTired

Post by StillTired »

We also have a Vitamix. My husband researched it and determinded it was the best choice. It's worked well for us so far. We mostly make smoothies with it but also make soup & bread doughs.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

glennaudi wrote:There was a thread on this some months ago, my blender is a Blendtec, expensive ($400) but worth it to me. Make green smoothies all the time after reading "eat to live". Will crush/turn to liquid virtually anything. My kids found utube videos where they demo'ed an iphone in the blendtec and turned it to dust.
That's the company that does the "Will It Blend" videos. I'll have to admit that's a pretty clever viral marketing campaign, but I'm still not sure I want to spend more on a blender than I spent on my dishwasher. Same goes for the VitaMix.
praxis wrote:My Oster Classic Beehive Glass simple 3 position toggle switch has been making my smoothies for at least 3 years. Ice is reduced to creamy quickly in the smoothies, which I like. Available at Walmart and Target in plastic and glass. Go for glass.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Beehive ... r/13729287. Says it's $59. but I often see them cheaper in the store.
I've used the original version of this blender for smoothies and milkshakes in the past and had no issues with it. The current one for sale is a remake of that old design, so I can't speak as to its durability. But if it faithfully replicates how the old blender worked, it might be a good, low-cost, option.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

We had a moderately expensive ($100) KitchenAid punk out after only a few dozen uses. Replaced it with a (now) $60 Oster BVCB07-Z which is going strong after two years.
ram

Post by ram »

We are happy with our Ninja (Walmart). (about $50-60). Second best after Vitamix (on CR) at 10% of the cost.
Ram
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

Interestingly, my better half has been "suggesting" that we look into (buy) a Vitamix. One day I was wandering through our local Whole Foods and, coincidentally, a remarkably cheerful couple provided demos of this blender. Nearby, a gleaming display of these machines met with considerable interest from WF customers. I'm not making this up, one rather stylish lady asked her little daughter, "Which colors do you want?"

OK, I am absolutely clueless about blenders, never researched them, never priced them. And, I thought they would not cost more than $50 or so. What do they do? After the lady posed that question, I looked up at a sign that read "Vitamix $450." Each!

Now, I will probably purchase this for my better half because, quite uncannily, she is never wrong. :D

But, I'd love to hear more specifics about what separates them from the pack. Thanks so much.

Cheers,
FabLab
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
ram

Post by ram »

FabLab wrote:Interestingly, my better half has been "suggesting" that we look into (buy) a Vitamix. One day I was wandering through our local Whole Foods and, coincidentally, a remarkably cheerful couple provided demos of this blender. Nearby, a gleaming display of these machines met with considerable interest from WF customers. I'm not making this up, one rather stylish lady asked her little daughter, "Which colors do you want?"

OK, I am absolutely clueless about blenders, never researched them, never priced them. And, I thought they would not cost more than $50 or so. What do they do? After the lady posed that question, I looked up at a sign that read "Vitamix $450." Each!

Now, I will probably purchase this for my better half because, quite uncannily, she is never wrong. :D

But, I'd love to hear more specifics about what separates them from the pack. Thanks so much.

Cheers,
FabLab
My wife's cousin has a Vitamix and she strongly recommended it to us. We actually saw the results (excellent) but I balked at the cost ($450). Now my wife is not a Boglehead and really wanted to buy it.
We finally came to this compromise. - We will buy a Ninja machine ( second best) and after 60 days if she is not completely satisfied we will buy a Vitamix. (I was basically betting on a 1 in 10 chance that my wife likes the cheaper blender, or 1:15 if we include the income tax deduction from the donated Ninja).
Bottomline - She is happy with the Ninja and we are not buying the Vitamix.
I would say that I would pay at most twice for the vitamix vs the Ninja. My wife would be willing to pay 4 times more.
Another negative for the Vitamix is its loud noise when compared to other blenders.
Ram
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

We currently have the Oster, not sure which model, and hate it. This thing could not make a milkshake to save it's life, not that I consume them.
PacNorWest

Post by PacNorWest »

There's only two high powered blenders: The Vitamix and the Blendtec
Both are expensive and have enough power to blend almonds and milk if you desire.
Vitamix has a patent on a tool that fits through the top cover - the tool is basically a push stick used if needed to push stuff down into the blades. The blades spin so fast that they pretty much suck downward anything in the container.

Blendtec also has an opening in the cover but they don't sell a tool for pushing stuff down (that's patented by Vitamix).
Blendtec has a shorter container which will fit on a kitchen counter top under the upper cabinets.
Vitamix has a too tall container to fit under a kitchen upper cabinet - but they do sell a shorter container that will fit - you may have to ask for that option.

Both blenders will spin so fast that the blades will heat up liquids - you can actually make hot tortilla soup with them.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

I have a Hamilton Beach blender that I use for single-serving smoothies only. I put frozen berry mix, apple juice and vanilla yogurt in it and hit the pulse button. The lid has a portion that opens specifically for drinking out of it so you have less dishes. It blends itself and I never have to stir it. Best blender I have ever had and it only cost $16.

Small blender with easy cleanup!

EDIT - Forgot to inlcude the Banana :D
stratton

Post by stratton »

Gas powered blender.

Some even have handle bars! :P

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

TAINTED-MEAT wrote:I have a Hamilton Beach blender that I use for single-serving smoothies only. I put frozen berry mix, apple juice and vanilla yogurt in it and hit the pulse button. The lid has a portion that opens specifically for drinking out of it so you have less dishes. It blends itself and I never have to stir it. Best blender I have ever had and it only cost $16.

Small blender with easy cleanup!

EDIT - Forgot to inlcude the Banana :D
We have a Hamilton Beach too and it works great for smoothies. It even crushes ice. I've had to replace a few parts over the years like the blade (the shaft cracked) and the rubber seal, but otherwise I've never seen a need for anything more powerful or expensive. The trick seems to be that when you put in a solid like ice you add enough liquid like yogurt or juice to help everything spin. I think I paid about $25 for ours at the hardware store.
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

We just bought a Ninja about 6 weeks ago at BB&B (used a 20% off coupon). It was my wife's idea, but I must say I'm impressed. Banana kale smoothies for breakfast are actually pretty good.

It was around $60. I've always heard good things about the Vitamix as well, but there's no way in heck I could justify the expense for a blender.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Vitamix. I have tried many others (less expensive), but Vitamix is the best. Costco has the Vitamix 5200 on sale at this moment for about $375. I just bought another one.

Keep in mind it is not a juicer, but a blender.
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

FabLab wrote:Interestingly, my better half has been "suggesting" that we look into (buy) a Vitamix. One day I was wandering through our local Whole Foods and, coincidentally, a remarkably cheerful couple provided demos of this blender. Nearby, a gleaming display of these machines met with considerable interest from WF customers. I'm not making this up, one rather stylish lady asked her little daughter, "Which colors do you want?"

Cheers,
FabLab
We've had our VitaMix for 2 years now. We quickly reached a point where it became a very essential kitchen tool. We don't use our regular bender anymore. Just this weekend, we made fresh fruit smoothies and pesto with it. For us, the $ saved on trips to Jamba Juice (not to mention that our smoothies are made from 100% fresh fruit), store bought pesto and so on have more than paid for the initial outlay for the VitaMix. But then this is because we use it very heavily (several times a week).

Reliability wise, it has held up well over 2 years of heavy use without problems. Hopefully, we'll get many more years of use out of it - they claim to have a lifelong warranty.
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

PacNorWest wrote:There's only two high powered blenders: The Vitamix and the Blendtec
Both are expensive and have enough power to blend almonds and milk if you desire.
Vitamix has a patent on a tool that fits through the top cover - the tool is basically a push stick used if needed to push stuff down into the blades. The blades spin so fast that they pretty much suck downward anything in the container.

Blendtec also has an opening in the cover but they don't sell a tool for pushing stuff down (that's patented by Vitamix).
Blendtec has a shorter container which will fit on a kitchen counter top under the upper cabinets.
Vitamix has a too tall container to fit under a kitchen upper cabinet - but they do sell a shorter container that will fit - you may have to ask for that option.

Both blenders will spin so fast that the blades will heat up liquids - you can actually make hot tortilla soup with them.
Perfect description. I have a vitamix. Loved it so much I bought my mom one. We both use ours daily... me for fruit smoothies and my mom for some uber healthy concoction she comes up with. If you look closely at your local smoothie shop, there is a 90% chance they are using one of these two brands as well.

The blenders are the only ones on the market with a 7 year warranty, but you can get either in store at Costco which effectively gives you a lifetime warranty. I believe it is also available on Costco.com. You often find this blender in 'buy for life' threads as people have vitamixs over 20 years old running perfectly.
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

All,
Thanks so much for describing the benefits of the Vitamix. Somehow, this will be a surprise gift to my better half. Please don't tell. :sharebeer
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

Are there any blenders out there that are ice crush capable but also relatively quiet?

The vitamixes in smoothie shops sound like leaf blowers.
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

Easy Rhino wrote:Are there any blenders out there that are ice crush capable but also relatively quiet?

The vitamixes in smoothie shops sound like leaf blowers.
Based on their road shows at Costco, I think the Blendtecs are a bit quieter than the Vitamix blender. Still, you're talking about using metal to crush ice - I'm not entirely sure there's a great way to muffle the noise!
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

My personal experience is to avoid blenders with sloping sides such that the opening up top is wider than the container at the bottom. Things like ice cubes will invariably become log jammed above the blades making the blender useless. Blenders with vertical sides where the container is a perfect cylinder are ideal. We have a Ninja which seems to work pretty well.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
MP173

Post by MP173 »

My wife came home with a Vitamix earlier this summer and sheepishly announced it cost nearly $500.

Well, it has been worth it...so far.

She uses the blender nearly daily. We have grown brocoli this summer and have an abundance. The blender actually makes HOT brocoli and cheese soup in 6 minutes that is outstanding.

She makes smoothies daily for lunch and this has contributed to her losing 15 pounds this summer.

She is happy with this utensil, I am happy that she is happy.

Ed
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

MP173 wrote:My wife came home with a Vitamix earlier this summer and sheepishly announced it cost nearly $500.
You had me there with what I thought might be a Henny Youngman moment ... "and the papers willed be filed tomorrow." :D

Then this line which says it all :sharebeer
MP173 wrote:She is happy with this utensil, I am happy that she is happy.
Ed
Loved your post and, so inspired, just returned from Costco where I found it (5200 model, is that what everyone buys?) for $375. Only other time I'd seen the Vitamix in a store was at Whole Foods for $450. I don't remember if that was the 5200.

Cheers & thanks much!
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

I have a Blendtec that I purchased at Costco. It was $350 during one of their demo sales. I love it, but don't use it as much as I should for the cost. I chose it over the Vitamix for a couple reasons.
* It fits on my kitchen counter without problem. The Vitamix is too tall to fit under a standard height cabinet on the kitchen counter.
* The Blendtec does not have sharp or pointy blades. It has a simple U-shaped "blade" that is easily cleaned without risk of cutting yourself. You would think a sharp blade would be needed to chop and grind stuff, but believe me this thing obliterates stuff! The design shape also creates a vortex that does not require the tamper (the big pokey thing) that the Vitamix has. Stuff is sucked down into the blade automatically.
* The push button controls and digital display are very simple and nice! For the smoothies I make, I simple load the blender up and push the button. About 30-40 seconds later, it's done. You don't have to stand there and hold the lid on or use the tamper. It couldn't be simpler.
* The warranty is 8 years! (Costco added a year onto the normal 7 year warranty)

These are the reasons I prefer the Blendtec, but the Vitamix is also a very good blender. Keep in mind that both are very loud, but what do you expect from an appliance that has a motor that could run a lawn mower! You will be amazed how much stuff can be blended. I usually make semi-green smoothies, meaning they usually contain whey protein, berries, and some kale and/or spinach along with carrots, cucumbers, ginger, apples or pears. They get blended so well, it's like a milkshake. No seeds, chunks or anything. They are great and very healthy.
Good luck in your search!
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

I have a Vitamix and love it. Well worth the expense imho.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Further info regarding our VitaMix....the model is VM0103 (according to the nameplate on the rear) and it is made in United States (at least 70% parts).

Funny story....this morning she made her usual lunch with it. I was upstairs in my office talking to a customer and he asked "what is that noise...are you on a jobsite?" The Vitamix is not a quiet machine. It doesnt purr, it GRINDS.

Yesterday I revised the brocoli soup (previously mentioned) and it was outstanding.

As mentioned, she is 15 pounds lighter. Coincidence? I dont think so.

Ed
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

MP173 wrote:Further info regarding our VitaMix....the model is VM0103 (according to the nameplate on the rear) and it is made in United States (at least 70% parts).

Funny story....this morning she made her usual lunch with it. I was upstairs in my office talking to a customer and he asked "what is that noise...are you on a jobsite?" The Vitamix is not a quiet machine. It doesnt purr, it GRINDS.

Yesterday I revised the brocoli soup (previously mentioned) and it was outstanding.

As mentioned, she is 15 pounds lighter. Coincidence? I dont think so.

Ed
Ed,
You convinced me! This a.m. I went to Costco and picked one up and, yes, it was the VM0103. Hope she likes it :sharebeer

Best,
FabLab
tfb

Post by tfb »

The $40 Oster BCBG08-C works just fine for me. Can't see how a $400 blender could be that much better.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.
Martello Shores

Post by Martello Shores »

Consider a stick blender if you are making soup: cheap, easy to clean, less risk of scalds.
We are currently enjoying red pepper soup, and eyeing squash and sweet potato for next week!
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I ended up with a KitchenAid KSB560 per the reviews found here: http://www.consumersearch.com/blenders

Have to tighten the nut occasionally on the container but it works great for the price paid.

Did try a $20-30 blender before that and it was basically worthless.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

For those who have a Ninja, it appears the thing is both a blender and a food processor/chopper. Is that correct, or is my knowledge of cooking even worse than I thought? I like the idea of one appliance that will both blend smoothies and will stop short of that and just chop stuff if needed. Also sounds like the Ninja might be sort of quieter than the Vitamix, but how is the noise compared to a regular blender?