Gotta buy tires

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
guitarguy

Gotta buy tires

Post by guitarguy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:07 am

:annoyed

I drive a 2001 Grand Prix with 163k miles, still running well and have very HOPEFUL plans to get another 30k miles on this car. Coming from a family of mechanics, the GM 3.8L motors go 200k regularly so I believe I have a shot at this. :?

That said, I'm gonna need some new tires...2 for sure. Hopefully the other 2 can last me a while longer.

Anything to look for when tire shopping to make sure I don't get 'had', pay too much, or get something I don't need? What I'm concerned about mainly, even though I've worked with the same tire shop multiple times, is them telling me I need all 4 tires when the newer 2 still have some life left.

What should one look for when it comes down to whether or not a tire MUST be replaced? I want to make sure I'm safe, but I don't want to replace anything unecessary on a 160k mile car. Knock wood that it lasts a while longer but you never know...so I only want to do what's necessary.

tetractys

Re: Gotta buy tires

Post by tetractys » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:11 am

4 new tires is a good idea. If you want just 2, you may as well get used tires to match. -- Tet

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:15 am

I would just get 2 new ones (that match) for the front tires and rotate your older ones to the back.

I have bought from http://www.discounttire.com with good results.

DA

xrw1

Post by xrw1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:17 am

State legal specs are 2/32". In my opinion this is too little and hydroplanning is high when is rains. I would think 4/32" would be still fine as long as you don't travel in snow or heavy rain

I would buy a cheap tread gauge to determine the depth of your tires.

Also if you tires have any bubbles on the side wall, that is an automatic to buy new tires. It is dangerous to drive on tires with a bubble on the sidewall.

As for deals, around New England, Bj's and costco has all right deals, but what makes me going back to them is their no hassle road side warranty (free tire rotation, free tire patching and if your tire for some could not be fixed bc of a pot hole they will replace it free)

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:20 am

I replace all 4 of mine at the same time. If I still have a bit of life left on 2 I'll store them in my garage to use as a replacement(s) if I get a non-repairable flat until it's time to replace them again. I do try to rotate my tires such that they all reach worn out at about the same time though.

As for what tire to get, hit up tirerack. They test review a *lot* of tires and have a ton of user reviews as well. They're the best source I've found for getting unbiased information. Even if you don't buy from them, they're a great resource to use.

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:21 am

Devil's Advocate wrote:I would just get 2 new ones (that match) for the front tires and rotate your older ones to the back.

DA

I agree with that, and I also buy all my tires at Discount Tire.

Curiously, last time I bought 2 new tires and told them to put them on the front (it's a front wheel drive vehicle), they refused... Said they would only put the new tires on the rear. Rather than push the point I just said go ahead, and moved the new tires to the front when I got home.

I think they were trying to say that if the rears had less traction than the fronts it could result in oversteer. Not likely at all in my opinion, I am not worried about that.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:24 am

xrw1 wrote:State legal specs are 2/32". In my opinion this is too little and hydroplanning is high when is rains. I would think 4/32" would be still fine as long as you don't travel in snow or heavy rain

I would buy a cheap tread gauge to determine the depth of your tires.

Also if you tires have any bubbles on the side wall, that is an automatic to buy new tires. It is dangerous to drive on tires with a bubble on the sidewall.

As for deals, around New England, Bj's and costco has all right deals, but what makes me going back to them is their no hassle road side warranty (free tire rotation, free tire patching and if your tire for some could not be fixed bc of a pot hole they will replace it free)
Thanks for the info! I've shopped at Discount Tire before, hadn't thought of Costco! I will check that out for sure! DT has the free rotation and patching, but I don't believe they replace the tire if it gets too badly damaged. That is a nice incentive.

I don't have any bubbles that I could notice (I assume this would be noticeable?)...but I do have some cracking along the sidewall...is that a danger as well?

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:25 am

wjwhitney wrote: I think they were trying to say that if the rears had less traction than the fronts it could result in oversteer. Not likely at all in my opinion, I am not worried about that.
I got the same explanation from them on this. It's sort of counter-intuitive, but I didn't change them after leaving I just figured they knew what they were talking about. After all it IS a tire shop, right?

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:30 am

guitarguy wrote:What should one look for when it comes down to whether or not a tire MUST be replaced? I want to make sure I'm safe, but I don't want to replace anything unecessary on a 160k mile car. Knock wood that it lasts a while longer but you never know...so I only want to do what's necessary.
Missed this with my first reply.
  • 1) Do you have a minimum of 2mm of tread left? There's good evidence that shows that 3-4mm is probably a better replacement point as wet stopping distances start to dramatically increase here (and by 2mm they're quite a lot further). If all the tires are under 4mm of tread depth I'd be replacing all 4.
    2) Are you showing serious uneven wear? i.e., do any tires have tread on the outside but bald in the middle or the other way around. Do any have no tread on the inside but on the outside. If this is the case and they have areas with no tread (or worse steal poking through) they should be replaced and you should have your alignment fixed.
    3) Have any been run with low pressure or flat for a significant distance. Look to see if the sidewall looks to have a crease in it. When my brother and I were younger and dumber we had a tire like this fail at freeway speeds with the entire tread coming off. Luckily it was a rear tire and it wrapped around under the wheel so we were able to steer and weren't dragging the wheel directly, but it was a hell of a scary thing.
    4) As someone else mentioned, any bubbles on the sidewall?
    5) Are any tires more than 5-7 years old? Tires do degrade with age even if they're just sitting in a rack inside and undriven.
Last edited by Khanmots on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:34 am

guitarguy wrote:
wjwhitney wrote:I think they were trying to say that if the rears had less traction than the fronts it could result in oversteer. Not likely at all in my opinion, I am not worried about that.
I got the same explanation from them on this. It's sort of counter-intuitive, but I didn't change them after leaving I just figured they knew what they were talking about. After all it IS a tire shop, right?
If your rear tires have less tread than the front then (all other things being equal) they'll lose traction first. Given that most people's reaction to entering a corner too fast is to (wrongly) brake this can be dangerous and result in your car spinning out of control instead of you simply sliding a bit without turning while speed is scrubbed off (far easier to recover from).

mike143

Post by mike143 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Too bad you just missed this deal: http://slickdeals.net/f/5084490-Discoun ... e-Shipping

I did 4 Cooper CS4s for $408-100-50-30=$228 final price after rebate.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:36 pm

I've heard good things about costco.

If you want to search for a particular kind of tire, then tirerack.com has a ridiculous selection. Also, I've been able to price match two local shops against the tire rack shipped price (and then pay for installation).

mtwoy

Post by mtwoy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:03 pm

wjwhitney wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote:I would just get 2 new ones (that match) for the front tires and rotate your older ones to the back.

DA

I agree with that, and I also buy all my tires at Discount Tire.

Curiously, last time I bought 2 new tires and told them to put them on the front (it's a front wheel drive vehicle), they refused... Said they would only put the new tires on the rear. Rather than push the point I just said go ahead, and moved the new tires to the front when I got home.

I think they were trying to say that if the rears had less traction than the fronts it could result in oversteer. Not likely at all in my opinion, I am not worried about that.
According to tirerack.com, new tires should always be installed on the rear for safety reasons.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=52

wilked

Post by wilked » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:14 pm

Good link. I found out a while back, people mistakenly put their new tires on the front instead of the rear. I had a tire guy spend half an hour explaining it to me and confirmed it with an internet search

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:39 pm

wilked wrote:Good link. I found out a while back, people mistakenly put their new tires on the front instead of the rear. I had a tire guy spend half an hour explaining it to me and confirmed it with an internet search
Primary problem is that people don't really understand the physics of driving at an intuitive level. When they get into a potentially dangerous situation they'll do something that at one level would seem to make sense, like applying the brakes or letting off the gas when they're in a corner faster than they want to be, but (if they're actually going too fast rather than just going faster than they want) it will actually make the situation worse.

As an example, suppose I take my FWD car into a corner at a speed near the limit of the tires to maintain traction. If I were to maintain a bit of throttle through it I'm fine. My tires have enough grip and I'm not trying to accelerate or decelerate so they're able to use all of that grip to corner. Instead if let off the gas the engine slows, which applies a braking force to my front drive which causes a weight transfer forward off my rear wheels. I now have the front of my car with more grip than the back, and that excess grip being used to slow just the front of it down. This causes the rear end to slide out. If as a result of this I let off the gas further or brake harder it'll make the situation worse. If I'm not expecting this and ready to control it I'll spin out.

However, what do I see whenever I'm behind someone on a cloverleaf? Someone that thinks they're going too fast in the corner so they put their brakes on in the middle of it.

Note that if you had good tread on the front and poor on the back that this example would be made even worse. Given the instinctual reactions of the vast majority of the populace, having mechanics insist that the rear tires have the best tread is a very very good thing. Having the good tread on the back helps to avoid these conditions and allow people to regain control after sliding (without spinning) a short distance.

telemark

Post by telemark » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:07 pm

wjwhitney wrote: I agree with that, and I also buy all my tires at Discount Tire.

This is why, after many years as a happy customer of Discount Tire, I am now looking for somewhere else to buy my next set of tires. It's disappointing, because I like everything else about them, but I need the good tires in front to get around in the winter. I understand their argument, and it isn't wrong, but it isn't always right either: there are too many other factors (vehicle geometry, driving conditions, etc) for a one-size-fits-all rule to work.

I did experience oversteer once, many years ago, coming down a steep, narrow, winding road in a new snowfall. Every time I touched the brakes the rear end of the car would try to come around me. Not sure the tires would have made a difference there.

telemark

Post by telemark » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:22 pm

And to address the original question, tires are a terrible place to try to save money. Get the best ones you can afford.

xrw1

Post by xrw1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:30 pm

One of the usually top 10 all season tires is Continential Contact DWS. They are resonable in price and you will not be disappointed in them.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:42 pm

Another vote for Costco, with the caveat that they don't always have a lot of selection for a given tire size. But their tires will be high quality brands and backed up by good service (and no upselling).

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:52 pm

Don't buy two, buy a set of 4. It's important to have balanced braking and acceleration. Besides that you"ll be constanty changing two tires as they wear out. The Tire Rack is great as they test all brands but your car has a very common size and uses inexpensive tires. Keep the best two old ones you have in case you need a spare. Wal-Mart is great for tires like this. I've used them for years on my daily driver cars. Based on your life expextancy of the car this will be the last set you buy.

thomase

Post by thomase » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:50 am

telemark wrote:
wjwhitney wrote: I agree with that, and I also buy all my tires at Discount Tire.

This is why, after many years as a happy customer of Discount Tire, I am now looking for somewhere else to buy my next set of tires. It's disappointing, because I like everything else about them, but I need the good tires in front to get around in the winter. I understand their argument, and it isn't wrong, but it isn't always right either: there are too many other factors (vehicle geometry, driving conditions, etc) for a one-size-fits-all rule to work.

I did experience oversteer once, many years ago, coming down a steep, narrow, winding road in a new snowfall. Every time I touched the brakes the rear end of the car would try to come around me. Not sure the tires would have made a difference there.
The reasoning is that understeer is easier to recover from than oversteer. No major tire places will put new tires in front and leave worn ones in back any more. It's pretty easy to swap the front and back tires yourself if you like.

I use to buy all my tires at Costco but have bought my last 3 sets at America's. Costco doesn't have a lot of tire choices but they do carry mainly high quality top tier brands like Michelin and Bridgestone. If you want good but relatively inexpensive tires look at Discount/America's tires for the General, Hankook, Kumho brands.

goalie

Post by goalie » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:23 am

Let's back up a step. The REAL problem is that if you have the need to only replace TWO tires, it is because you don't rotate your tires in the first place. Rotate every fall and every spring, and you will wear your tires evenly. Then this post never exists. :oops:

ataloss

Post by ataloss » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:24 am

If you go for 2 new tires make sure they replace the right ones. I was in discount tire in June and heard a woman complaining. 3,000 miles after buying 2 new tires she had 2 more that needed replacing. It sounded to me like the shop replaced the wrong two (and rotating confused everyone). :D

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:22 am

goalie wrote:Let's back up a step. The REAL problem is that if you have the need to only replace TWO tires, it is because you don't rotate your tires in the first place. Rotate every fall and every spring, and you will wear your tires evenly. Then this post never exists. :oops:
Actually, they do get rotated regularly, now. But in the past when I was a college kid, I wasn't as diligent as I should've been and at some point in the past I only replaced 2 tires. Hence the start of that vicious cycle.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:26 am

Get the tires you want, but on a sale. "Buy three, get one free" means buy four. No sales, buy two. That's what I would do.

partner

Post by partner » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:51 pm

tyrion wrote:Another vote for Costco, with the caveat that they don't always have a lot of selection for a given tire size. But their tires will be high quality brands and backed up by good service (and no upselling).
I haven't read all the post here so I don't know if this issue has been raised or not.
I have read on automobile boards that Costco now will not rotate tires, citing law suits by people who sued them after an accident. Even if you have life time rotation contract.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:05 pm

goalie wrote:Let's back up a step. The REAL problem is that if you have the need to only replace TWO tires, it is because you don't rotate your tires in the first place. Rotate every fall and every spring, and you will wear your tires evenly. Then this post never exists. :oops:
Not always. I had to replace two tires when one of them ran over a load of metal L-braces someone had dumped over all the lanes of the freeway (and I managed to steer around most of them so there was only one tire that ran over one and kicked it away before the rear tire also ran over it). It caused enough damage to the tire that it needed to be replaced, but the other three still had ample tread left. The logical choice was to replace the affected pair and keep the unaffected pair.

Edit: And I was lucky. Another two cars were sitting on the side of the road with punctured underbodies because they didn't steer around most of the L-braces.

BenBritt

Post by BenBritt » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Buy a set of Michelins. They are great life insurance.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:42 pm

partner wrote:
tyrion wrote:Another vote for Costco, with the caveat that they don't always have a lot of selection for a given tire size. But their tires will be high quality brands and backed up by good service (and no upselling).
I haven't read all the post here so I don't know if this issue has been raised or not.
I have read on automobile boards that Costco now will not rotate tires, citing law suits by people who sued them after an accident. Even if you have life time rotation contract.
From the Costco website:
"The Installation Package also includes Lifetime Maintenance Services that extend throughout the life of the tires you purchase. (some limits may apply). These Lifetime services include inflation pressure checks, tire balancing, tire rotations, as well as flat repairs."

Jeff

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:51 pm

sscritic wrote:Get the tires you want, but on a sale. "Buy three, get one free" means buy four. No sales, buy two. That's what I would do.
My experience has been that "buy three, get one free" is probably the normal price for tires that are sold that way, not really a discounted price.

Paul

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:25 pm

tibbitts wrote:
sscritic wrote:Get the tires you want, but on a sale. "Buy three, get one free" means buy four. No sales, buy two. That's what I would do.
My experience has been that "buy three, get one free" is probably the normal price for tires that are sold that way, not really a discounted price.
This.

One of the things I like about tirerack is that I don't have to worry about inflated non-sale prices.

xrw1

Post by xrw1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:25 pm

One thing with buying tires on tirerack is that you have to find a place to mount and balance them for you.

Some placed won't even touch your tires if you didn't buy from them. And if you do find a place to mount and balance them it would probably cost about 20-30 dollar a tire. A few years ago BJs use to do it for 15 a tire.. but now they won't do it unless you buy the tires from them.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:37 pm

tibbitts wrote:
But that's not the issue for me. If they are sold by the tire, 4 tires will cost 2.0 times as much as 2 tires. If I can get 4 tires for 1.5 times the price of 2 tires, I will get 4 tires. I don't care about their usual practice; I care about the price I will pay.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Obviously, if one store sells by the tire and their price is less than 75% of the price at another store, 4 tires at store 1 will be less than 4 tires at store 2 offering "buy 3 get 1 free." But then I would still buy just 2 tires from the low cost place. You just have to compare your total price, including mounting, stems, and all the rest for 2 vs 4 and take your pick.

partner

Post by partner » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:23 am

jsl11 wrote:
partner wrote:
From the Costco website:
"The Installation Package also includes Lifetime Maintenance Services that extend throughout the life of the tires you purchase. (some limits may apply). These Lifetime services include inflation pressure checks, tire balancing, tire rotations, as well as flat repairs."

Jeff
Just google "costco rotate tires lawsuits" and see how much that service agreement is worth.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:18 pm

partner wrote:
jsl11 wrote:
partner wrote:
From the Costco website:

Jeff
Just google "costco rotate tires lawsuits" and see how much that service agreement is worth.
Instead of reading about Costco tire services on the internet, I stopped in at the tire center at my local Costco. I told the counter man that I was told that Costco no longer rotates tires and asked if that was true. He told me that they WILL rotate tires if they were purchased at Costco. They will not rotate them if they were purchased elsewhere. Reading things on "automobile boards" is a poor substitute for getting information first hand.

Jeff

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Last edited by HueyLD on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:43 pm

HueyLD wrote:WIthin the past couple of months, I've had tires rotated, balanced, and pressure checked at Costco. Quick and easy, no mess, no fuss.
It's better to go there on weekdays. Weekends tend to be busier.
Jeff

Itster

Post by Itster » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:35 pm

I just purchased 2 new tires yesterday. The treads were fine on all 4 tires (after 20k miles wear), but one tire was SO noisy I simply couldn't stand it any longer so I replaced it and the one on the other side to match. Every time the noisy tire was rotated to the front it drove me crazy.

I purchased the originals at Discount Tire, but unfortunately I was given two noisy tires and they would only replace the loudest one at the time.

It turns out that particular tire received low ratings for noise by many others, but I didn't buy the replacement tires from DT because I couldn't believe new tires should be so bad (and why the other 3, including the one replacement, were fine). They left me with one bad tire that I just had to deal with and replace prematurely.

Anyway, the other 2 that are left hardly have any wear so I couldn't justify replacing them. So it really depends on the circumstances.

That said, to address the OP, if my remaining tires were still technically "good" but fairly worn I would have replaced them all (and saved $70 on the package). I wouldn't wait until you MUST replace the other 2 unless you are simply tight on the budget to the point you can't afford all 4 (or maybe if you don't drive that much), in my opinion.

burgrat

Post by burgrat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:57 pm

I highly recommend Costco also. Get a set of Michelins, they are great tires. Costco will also do the rotation and balancing during the life of the tires, so when you need this done just drop off the car and spend some time in the warehouse shopping and grabbing a bite to eat! It's much better than sitting in a tire shop, right?
Costco is having a $70 instant rebate when you buy a set of 4 Michelin tires that will be valid Sept.13 through Oct. 7. This would be a great time to get them, if you end up needing four of them.

http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePa ... o=11682988

(The Michelin tire "coupon" is in the bottom right side of the page)

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 am

burgrat wrote:I highly recommend Costco also. Get a set of Michelins, they are great tires.
Some are, some are crap. The specific Michelin tires that were stock issue on my car were horrible in the wet; wet traction drastically improved when I changed tires (and for everyone else on the car's forum...). That said, Michelin does make some awesome tires that I'd love to have on my car; I just can't justify paying what they want when compared to the competition.

The point is, regardless of what brand you're looking at make sure to read reviews on the specific model.

BenBritt

Post by BenBritt » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Which Michelins are crap?

fandango

Post by fandango » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:43 pm

Go to Discount Tire and tell them what you are trying to do. I have found them to be real tire "experts" and honest. If you are just looking for 30K more miles on your tires, they can tell you what tires can do that cost effectively. The offer a full range of tire brands.

I am a Michelin fan, but they are probably not what you need to get just 35K miles. You pay more for Michelin tires but the mileage you get is incredible. The last two sets that I had on my truck went over 80K miles with no problem.

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:51 pm

BenBritt wrote:Which Michelins are crap?
I believe it was the Pilot HX MXM4 that came with my car.

Don Christy

Post by Don Christy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Khanmots wrote:
guitarguy wrote:
wjwhitney wrote:I think they were trying to say that if the rears had less traction than the fronts it could result in oversteer. Not likely at all in my opinion, I am not worried about that.
If your rear tires have less tread than the front then (all other things being equal) they'll lose traction first. Given that most people's reaction to entering a corner too fast is to (wrongly) brake this can be dangerous and result in your car spinning out of control instead of you simply sliding a bit without turning while speed is scrubbed off (far easier to recover from).
Sorry to resuscitate this old thread on tread, but I'm about to buy new tires.

On dry pavement, the old tires have MORE traction than new. My understanding is the issue is the potential to hydroplane. The tire without treads will hydroplane first, but have great dry pavement traction.

Don
“Speak only if it improves upon the silence." Mahatma Gandhi

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Don Christy wrote: On dry pavement, the old tires have MORE traction than new. My understanding is the issue is the potential to hydroplane. The tire without treads will hydroplane first, but have great dry pavement traction.

Don
Don:

I'm not sure what this statement has to do with needing new tires, as if you need new, you don't exactly have the option of keeping your "grippy" old ones.

I don't think that the statement is true, however. It may apply to "brand-spanking new" tires because of how they are manufactured and treated, but once you put some modicum of wear on the tires, I can't imagine that having no treads gives better dry pavement traction. Besides, I'm pretty sure having bald tires is illegal in most areas!

If you need new tires, I think Costco is the place to start.

JT

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Don Christy wrote:
Khanmots wrote:
guitarguy wrote:

On dry pavement, the old tires have MORE traction than new. My understanding is the issue is the potential to hydroplane. The tire without treads will hydroplane first, but have great dry pavement traction.

Don
True, but you aren't considering the degrees of difference in wet vs. dry traction. The dry traction advantage is very slight and only comes into play in very extraordinary circumstances where you need that last ounce of dry cornering or stopping power. The wet traction advantage of having tread on the tires is much more significant, and - unless you live where there's never rain - can be experienced under very typical driving conditions.

Also tires with deeper tread are more puncture resistant. I've had several cases where I've pulled screws out of a tire that would have penetrated through a tire with less tread.

Having more tread can also be somewhat beneficial in snow and mud.

Paul

Paul78

Post by Paul78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:47 pm

I am normally a frugal person (for instance I drive a 13 yo car with 250k miles).

But I recently had a tire blowout on the freeway.

Right after I replaced all four tire (only two needed to be replace the other two were in "fair" condition) and bought a better tire then my situation (ie a 250k care with likely 1-3 more years of use) justifies.

I am no longer gonna be "cheap" when it comes to tires.
Last edited by Paul78 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:48 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Don Christy wrote:
Khanmots wrote:
guitarguy wrote:

Don
True, but you aren't considering the degrees of difference in wet vs. dry traction. The dry traction advantage is very slight and only comes into play in very extraordinary circumstances where you need that last ounce of dry cornering or stopping power. The wet traction advantage of having tread on the tires is much more significant, and - unless you live where there's never rain - can be experienced under very typical driving conditions.

Also tires with deeper tread are more puncture resistant. I've had several cases where I've pulled screws out of a tire that would have penetrated through a tire with less tread.

Having more tread can also be somewhat beneficial in snow and mud.

Paul
Only kinda true since as tires age the compounds become harder and less grippy. A new tire with full tread is pretty likely going to have more grip than an old tire with little due to this. There's a reason serious auto-crossers will have tires shaved so that they get less tread on a new tire instead of just getting old ones ;)

boffalora

Post by boffalora » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm guessing your tire size is 205/70R15. There is a huge selection of tires in a wide price range in this size.

Because you are looking for safe tires but are not planning to keep this car beyond another 30Kmi, consider a secondary brand of a major manufacturer. For example, Bridgestone makes Primewell tires in the $55-70 per tire range in this size, with a 40Kmi warranty. Likewise, Michelin makes BFGoodrich, Uniroyal and Warrior tires at lower cost than their flagship brand. All are first quality, and a set of four new ones will not break the budget. See a local dealer; you may be pleasantly surprised by what he has to offer.