Cheap Wall St Journal?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Cheap Wall St Journal?

Post by Leesbro63 »

[Restarted thread. Note post dates, some of this information may no longer be current. - admin alex]

The WSJ just "renewed" itself for my business school grad daughter for $200. She was outraged by the price and cancelled. She reads it on a computer...not on paper and not on an iPad. What kind of "deal" is available to either her, as a recent customer...or say me, who has not been an WSJ customer?
NYBoglehead

Re: Cheap Wall St Journal?

Post by NYBoglehead »

My subscription ended a while back and after it lapsed for a short while they sent me an offer to renew for one year for $99. Not sure if that was a one time thing, but it was a pretty good deal at the time. The other thing is if you're looking to get it for yourself and your daughter wants it but doesn't want to pay a lot for it: a lot of times there are promotions for subscribers to gift it to another person for a very low rate.
Last edited by NYBoglehead on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

That's a cheap deal - take it. I pay $275 right now, they originally tried to jack me up to $450, when I told them I was walking after 20 years of reading it, they lowered it to a "cheap" price of $275. :annoyed
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

My 9 months bought with Frequent Flyer miles just ended. They sent me renewal of 1 year, 6 days a week for $2.95/Week. So about $153/year. But it has automatic renewal at full price. Given I had huge huge huge problems stopping SmartMoney auto-renewal (owned by them), I called them and asked about it. They will send me an offer without auto-renewal, but i don't know price yet.

Hope it's that $99 deal listed above!
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

I got an offer from them last year to renew at $79 for one year plus $20 Amazon gift card. That deal ended two months ago and they renewed my sub @ $149. I cancelled thinking they will send me other offers, but nothing came.

Decided to go without WSJ and is fine. I actually never read WSJ from front to back so I don't actually miss it. I also canceled their sister publication, Barron's, since they wanted $129 a year. Don't miss that either.

Most of the articles from NYTimes are still free and there are other business sites with up to date business news for free so your daughter can check out Marketwatch, CNN, Bloomberg, and CNBC sites.
NYBoglehead

Post by NYBoglehead »

What's amazing to me is that the prices of newspapers are going up and up while the daily readership is going down. I can't speak intelligently as to the breakdown of their revenue sources but know for certain that they get more from advertising than they do from billing readers. You would think they'd be trying to salvage subscribers to keep daily readership up instead of facilitating everyone's switch to the internet.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Leesbro63 wrote:The WSJ just "renewed" itself for my business school grad daughter for $200. She was outraged by the price and cancelled. She reads it on a computer...not on paper and not on an iPad. What kind of "deal" is available to either her, as a recent customer...or say me, who has not been an WSJ customer?
Hi Leesbro63,

I have played "games" with the WSJ for years. I think I used many of the intro prices for many years. Threaten to cancel, cancel and come back in a couple of weeks, not sure if I want to stay, etc.

My wife always would shake her head and laugh.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

As a student there are cheaper rates available (also to educators.)

Take a look here at one offer in my inbox:http://www.magazineline.com/studentmags ... ournal.htm
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I just read the Wall Street Journal Sunday insert in the local newspaper and go to their website for whatever free content they have. Then again, I'm pretty frugal when it comes to things like this.
robocop

Post by robocop »

She could also search the Fatwallet Free Stuff Forum. I got a 6 (or 12? I can't remember) month subscription for WSJ for free after reading about a tip there- I think it was from RewardsGold.

I think they also discuss ways to keep getting the deals for taking surveys on FW, even after your first free subscription is up. I don't think I get free online access, however, although I wish I did.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

I got the free subscription from RewardsGold. It's great. Love the price...free! You might want to use a fake name and new email address to avoid the potential spam...
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I only subscribe to the WSJ with miles.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Turns out the student rate is $99 for print plus electronic. Oddly you HAVE to accept the print...I suspect it so they can tell their advertizers that they have "X" print subscribers blah blah blah. Anyway, my son is still a student so he subscribed. His sister can read his paper when he's done. :wink:
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

GRT2BOUTDOORS wrote:That's a cheap deal - take it. I pay $275 right now, they originally tried to jack me up to $450, when I told them I was walking after 20 years of reading it, they lowered it to a "cheap" price of $275. :annoyed
I don't thing that deal was cheap, as much as you're getting blistered on price.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Taylor Larimore

The Wall St Journal

Post by Taylor Larimore »

In my opinion, the Wall Street Journal is a great newspaper. We subscribed for many years and only recently gave it up for two reasons: 1) I spent too much time reading it. 2) It became too expensive.

I cannot remember ever making a portfolio change based on anything I read in the Journal -- one of the great advantages of a Boglehead stay-the-course portfolio.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: The Wall St Journal

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:In my opinion, the Wall Street Journal is a great newspaper. We subscribed for many years and only recently gave it up for two reasons: 1) I spent too much time reading it. 2) It became too expensive.

I cannot remember ever making a portfolio change based on anything I read in the Journal -- one of the great advantages of a Boglehead stay-the-course portfolio.

Best wishes.
Taylor

Hi Taylor,

It does take a long time to read. I found I could spend two hours or more. Most of the articles are very comprehensive.

How long on average was it taking you to read a typical WSJ paper?

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Taylor Larimore

Re: The Wall St Journal

abuss368 wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:In my opinion, the Wall Street Journal is a great newspaper. We subscribed for many years and only recently gave it up for two reasons: 1) I spent too much time reading it. 2) It became too expensive.

Best wishes.
Taylor

Hi Taylor,

It does take a long time to read. I found I could spend two hours or more. Most of the articles are very comprehensive.

How long on average was it taking you to read a typical WSJ paper?

Best.
Abuss:

I spent about an hour every morning reading the Journal and then the Miami Herald took another half hour. Now it is just the Herald, leaving me more time with my wife, Pat, and the Bogleheads.

Best wishes.
Taylor
PacNorWest

Post by PacNorWest »

NYBoglehead wrote:My subscription ended a while back and after it lapsed for a short while they sent me an offer to renew for one year for $99. Not sure if that was a one time thing, but it was a pretty good deal at the time. The other thing is if you're looking to get it for yourself and your daughter wants it but doesn't want to pay a lot for it: a lot of times there are promotions for subscribers to gift it to another person for a very low rate.
Yup. Let it lapse and sooner or later they'll offer the $99. subscription.
But it might take 8 or 9 months before you get the offer.
blues008

Post by blues008 »

Here's an offer for $10 a month for print and delivery:

http://tinyurl.com/8jw6a2c

Enjoy!
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

blues008 wrote:Here's an offer for $10 a month for print and delivery:

http://tinyurl.com/8jw6a2c

Enjoy!
Thanks but the student $99/year rate for print and delivery is slightly better.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

My subscription to the WSJ {print and electronic} expired last week and they are still delivering the paper. I was paying $119 plus tax {in California} that brought it up to $130. I just got off the chat line with WSJ and the lowest rate quoted was $187 plus tax. In the past I have done the dance with WSJ and either they have come up with lower rates or I have found them by myself. I have received some good ideas from the posters in this thread. Any updates or advice?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I pick one up every morning in the lobby of the hotel attached to my office building. :happy
plannerman

Post by plannerman »

I just got a renewal notice for $599/yr.

If you listen carefully you can probably hear me laughing.

plannerman
Rusa

Post by Rusa »

Go to the library. Spend a little time reading it. Go home. Price: your tax dollars at work.
Rusa
fareastwarriors

RewardsGold.

check it out at slickdeals ( or fatwallet) i forgot which.
MnD

Post by MnD »

Subscribe to the "free" on-line edition.
When you see an article you want to read that isn't free (most of them), paste the full article title into Google, hit search and you'll be able to see and read the full article for free.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Allocationist

Post by Allocationist »

After subscribing for a couple of decades, I stopped my subscription for a couple of reasons. I got tired of playing the subscription lapse/negotiate for a reasonable price game every year. Also, after the change of ownership several years ago I noticed increasing seepage of political views from the editorial page into the "news" sections. [political comment removed by admin alex]
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I just read the articles on line. I'm mostly interested in the opinion and culture sections. Any articles which come up blocked can usually be read by pasting the title into google and clicking the first thing that comes up.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitteh

Post by kitteh »

MnD wrote:Subscribe to the "free" on-line edition.
When you see an article you want to read that isn't free (most of them), paste the full article title into Google, hit search and you'll be able to see and read the full article for free.
This works for the NYTimes also. I actually would pay for the Times, but you can't get a web only subscription, you have to fork out for smart phone apps. I'll be darned if I'll pay for something I'll never use.

At some point I'm going to get tired of the extra typing and just read the Christian Science Monitor or something.

Like the Wall Street Journal, the Times is interesting, but it's more like a magazine than an indispensable news source.
kitteh

Post by kitteh »

Sam I Am wrote: Taylor, I grew up reading the The Miami Herald. In fact, my Dad pretty much helped me learn to read by going through the Sunday comics with me.
Sam I Am
I can remember my Dad coming home Monday nights with two fat Sunday newspapers, the Saturday Evening Post, and probably other stuff. Everyone disappeared into corners reading. It took forever for Mom to get us to the dinner table.
Taylor Larimore

The Miami Herald

Sam wrote:
Taylor, I grew up reading the The Miami Herald.
Me too. Unfortunately, it is not the great newspaper it was a few decades ago.

Best wishes.
Taylor
SGM

Post by SGM »

I stopped subscribing to the WSJ when the price went above $99 a year. I agree it swallows a lot of time. I look for interesting articles on line and view them via google. A friend has taken it upon himself to give me his old WSJ when I told him I stopped my subscription, but I don't read much of it. I like the Friday crossword and the Saturday investment section. The occassional special sections on retirement or mutual funds are also of some interest. My local library has been closed for repairs and I would skim the newspaper there if available. I have resolved to spend less time reading newspapers in general to concentrate on other interests.
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
Malcolm2012

Post by Malcolm2012 »

Check Ebay. They sell much cheaper WSJ subscriptions, not sure how. It works, I tried it.

I would miss not having the WSJ every day. There is not a comparable nationwide paper worth picking up on or off line. It is a good substitute to being left weeding through [political comment deleted by admin alex] superficial TV coverage. I have not found a great deal on the online version of the WSJ but prefer the hands-on anyway.

_M_
Jack

Post by Jack »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Sam wrote:
Taylor, I grew up reading the The Miami Herald.
Me too. Unfortunately, it is not the great newspaper it was a few decades ago.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Unfortunately, neither is the Wall Street Journal.
fareastwarriors

Have you guys tried to go to wsj.com and find articles that might interest you and then just google that title? Google will link you to the article as a free "sample" version ...
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

fareastwarriors wrote:Have you guys tried to go to wsj.com and find articles that might interest you and then just google that title? Google will link you to the article as a free "sample" version ...
I read a number of newspapers online - some the way you describe when a subscription is required for full access.

I find that I get a lot more out of a physical newspaper. I can peruse headlines, sections and articles much more efficiently. Maybe it's just how I was educated to read the paper, but I've been reading them online for a number of years now and still don't seem to get as much out of the online versions.

For this reason, and because the WSJ is my 'primary' news source, I much prefer it in paper format. For the others that I just skim for the highlights, online is fine.
MGBGTV8

Post by MGBGTV8 »

Bloomberg is still a free app for iPhone. I've been using that and I''m just fine for info to support my money management. I had WSJ, then the renewal was expensive, then I had NY Times iPhone subscription for a short term deal on a Google offer. Now I just use Bloomberg.
bwb100

Post by bwb100 »

Malcolm2012 wrote:by Malcolm2012 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:34 am

Check Ebay. They sell much cheaper WSJ subscriptions, not sure how. It works, I tried it.

Based on a previous thread, I tried eBay and was the only bidder on 305 issues (one year Monday - Saturday) paper delivery for 29.99. There are options for renewals and new subscriptions. I have an official subscription number registered with WSJ, so there has been no problem with reporting any delivery problems or delivery stops for vacations. I don't know how they do it either, but I can second that it works and I'll do it again.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fandango

Post by fandango »

All my frequent flier WSJ subscriptions have expired. I received a notice from WSJ offering me a year's subscription (print and digital) for $176.

I decided to take the deal. Our local paper is pitiful, and the Atlanta Journal Constitution is not delivered here. Since I enjoy reading a print newspaper, it seems a small price to pay for 312 days of reading.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

Thanks for all the good advice. My subscription expired a week ago but they are still delivering the paper. I just went to eBay and paid the $49.99 on a "buy it now" deal for a full year subscription. The seller says the new subscription may take up to four weeks to start so I may or may not have overlap. Either way that is a much better rate than the $187 plus tax that the WSJ offered. I will update later as to my success or lack of it.
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

After many years of a full subscription to the WSJ I am only interested in Sat. only. I currently pick it up at local store but would prefer home delivery. Any clues as to where I can get this?

Sam
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

exoilman wrote:After many years of a full subscription to the WSJ I am only interested in Sat. only. I currently pick it up at local store but would prefer home delivery. Any clues as to where I can get this?

Sam
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Wall-Street-J ... et+journal
quizzer

WSJ.com Auto-renew?

Post by quizzer »

I just subscribed to WSJ through RewardsGold last week. I got the welcome email yesterday and signed up for online access as well.
I had to agree to terms and conditions which says about auto-renewal.
Will WSJ.com send auto-renewal notice to me after the 6 month period is over? If yes, can i just ignore the email/postal mail?
They dont have my credit card on file.

Appreciate your inputs
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Since I'm mostly interested in WSJ Opinion section, I just read them online. I work around the blockage, but LadyGeek won't let me say how.
Diogenes

Re: WSJ.com Auto-renew?

Post by Diogenes »

quizzer wrote:I just subscribed to WSJ through RewardsGold last week. I got the welcome email yesterday and signed up for online access as well.
Will WSJ.com send auto-renewal notice to me after the 6 month period is over? If yes, can i just ignore the email/postal mail?

Appreciate your inputs
v

I don't believe this will work for renewals, neither will the EBay option. I received a print and digital renewal offer from the Journal for $149/yr. I may take it but if so will definitely use a prepaid Visa to avoid the renewal surprise that WSJ is known for of late.

Any other better WSJ renewal deals out there ?
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Diogenes wrote:I don't believe this will work for renewals, neither will the EBay option. I received a print and digital renewal offer from the Journal for $149/yr. I may take it but if so will definitely use a prepaid Visa to avoid the renewal surprise that WSJ is known for of late.

I have used points for renewals a couple of times. I didn't technically renew though, just re-subscribed after a short lapse with no problem.
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

Diogenes wrote:
quizzer wrote:I just subscribed to WSJ through RewardsGold last week. I got the welcome email yesterday and signed up for online access as well.

Appreciate your inputs
v

I received a print and digital renewal offer from the Journal for $149/yr. I may take it but if so will definitely use a prepaid Visa to avoid the renewal surprise that WSJ is known for of late.
How did you avoid the auto renewal?
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Diogenes wrote:I don't believe this will work for renewals, neither will the EBay option. I received a print and digital renewal offer from the Journal for $149/yr. I may take it but if so will definitely use a prepaid Visa to avoid the renewal surprise that WSJ is known for of late.

I have used points for renewals a couple of times. I didn't technically renew though, just re-subscribed after a short lapse with no problem.
Did you have the digital edition too? If yes did it ask for any online agreement to T&C?