Windows 8 on old computer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sunnyday

Windows 8 on old computer

Post by sunnyday »

I have an 3 year old HP touch smart that I'm thinking about putting windows 8 on. It's not my main computer so it's ok if it doesn't work perfectly. But I don't want to frequently run into driver issues.

Has anyone installed windows 8 yet? Was it a hassle with the drivers?
linuxuser

Re: Windows 8 on old computer

Post by linuxuser »

With newer computers you may not need drivers since the hardware is supported by Windows 8.
You'll also want to check the support webpages for your model of PC to see what HP has about Windows 8 upgrade.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

Since my own opinion could be considered biased, I'll point to this ZDNet article I saw yesterday.... http://www.zdnet.com/installing-windows ... 000002903/. Also, remember that you always have the option of running through the steps to check compatibility before you decide to buy it, so you should know going in what devices will need extra attention after the upgrade, and decide whether the hassle is worthwhile.

I disagree about the urgency of a touch-mouse, though. I'm sure it's a nice upgrade, but hardly essential.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
BYUvol

Post by BYUvol »

I had Windows 8 RTM on a laptop for a couple days. I couldn't get used to it. I'm a "power user", and the interface kept getting in the way. The first things I did were to make a shortcut to cmd.exe and control panel on the desktop. I'm not a big fan of mouse gestures, which it relies heavily on.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I'll stay with Windows7 till I need to upgrade.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

BYUvol wrote:I had Windows 8 RTM on a laptop for a couple days. I couldn't get used to it. I'm a "power user", and the interface kept getting in the way. The first things I did were to make a shortcut to cmd.exe and control panel on the desktop. I'm not a big fan of mouse gestures, which it relies heavily on.
If you prefer keyboard controls rather than mouse gestures, those exist too. I tend not to move my hands, personally, so if I'm already at the mouse I use the gestures, and if I'm already on the keyboard I use the key combinations.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Ahem. I'm a dinosaur. Based on the zdnet article, looks like I'll stay with my 2007 XP with a measly 2 Meg RAM (4 was needed).

My main one is a MacPro circa 2008, besides an iPad 2 from last year.
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

I was under the impression that Win 8 is designed for touch screen tablets and not so much for laptops. If that's the case is there any point in getting Win 8 for a laptop?

-B
chaz

Post by chaz »

SurfCityBill wrote:I was under the impression that Win 8 is designed for touch screen tablets and not so much for laptops. If that's the case is there any point in getting Win 8 for a laptop?

-B
It is also to upgrade a PC.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

sunnyday wrote:I have an 3 year old HP touch smart that I'm thinking about putting windows 8 on. It's not my main computer so it's ok if it doesn't work perfectly. But I don't want to frequently run into driver issues.

Never be the first or last person to adopt new technology. But, you can be the first to say you adopted new technology (for the status points). For example:

Dudes, I was able to land one of these suckars!! It's not being released to the general public until November. The new Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Wireless!!!!! [I have connections with Jeff Bezos.] It is like, TOTALLY awesome and much better than any IPAD I have ever seen in my entire life!!!! My NDA prevents me from saying anything more about it, but trust me, you will be the kewlest dude in the office if you get one early.

See? It's pretty easy. :)
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
chaz

Post by chaz »

Jerilynn wrote:
sunnyday wrote:I have an 3 year old HP touch smart that I'm thinking about putting windows 8 on. It's not my main computer so it's ok if it doesn't work perfectly. But I don't want to frequently run into driver issues.

Never be the first or last person to adopt new technology. But, you can be the first to say you adopted new technology (for the status points). For example:

Dudes, I was able to land one of these suckars!! It's not being released to the general public until November. The new Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Wireless!!!!! [I have connections with Jeff Bezos.] It is like, TOTALLY awesome and much better than any IPAD I have ever seen in my entire life!!!! My NDA prevents me from saying anything more about it, but trust me, you will be the kewlest dude in the office if you get one early.

See? It's pretty easy. :)
How is it better than the new iPad?
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

I've been using it for well over a year, and obviously it's gotten better the closer we get to release. My NDA doesn't restrict nearly so much now that it's public. ;-)

Yes, Windows 8 has major UI changes driven in part by the rise of touch-only machines (typically tablets) and machines with all three primary input methods (typically all-in-ones or laptops). Where touch was previously just a way to mouse, it's now handled distinctly. Doesn't mean you have to have touch (none of the machines I use regularly do), but I expect it to become more common in the next several years with better OS support.

The only PC where I wouldn't at least consider an upgrade is a netbook with a resolution below 1024x768. That's less than the minimum vertical resolution for the new UI (and some of the old UI, actually!), and I don't think it would be a good experience.

I'll mostly stay clear of the iPad comparison, save for one thought: Most people have an iPad and a laptop, because there are things the iPad doesn't do. Compare that to a Windows tablet which can be connected to keyboard, mouse, and big monitor; or be docked to a physical keyboard and turn into a laptop. Write a term paper in Word, pop it out of the dock, and go watch a movie on the couch. The key advantage here is that it is still Windows, with everything that entails.