Problem with Whirlpool refrigerator

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Rupert

Problem with Whirlpool refrigerator

Post by Rupert »

I've got an almost two year old Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator. Twice in the past 6 months I have woken in the morning to find that the refrigerator/freezer stopped cooling/freezing at some point during the night. The lights inside came on when I opened the doors, but I couldn't hear the compressor or the fan working. On both occasions, I unplugged it for a minute and plugged it back in and it started working again. The compressor immediately kicked on and both the fridge and freezer started cooling again. After this happened the first time, I cleaned the coils as well as I could (they're underneath). So I don't think dirty coils are the problem. But I really don't know. Before I call a repairman, anyone have any ideas?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Whirlpool refrigerator

Post by LadyGeek »

Rupert wrote:Twice in the past 6 months...
Defrost cycle? Read the manual or google.

Unless you can repeat the problem every time, you'll never know if the problem was fixed (or what caused it).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sport

Post by sport »

If you have not already done so, check the troubleshooting section of your owner's manual. It may give you some things to try.
If the problem is corrected when you "reboot" the unit, it may be a faulty microprocessor control.

Jeff
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Sounds like defrost cycle. Here is so much defrost information it will make your head Bogle: https://secured.whirlpool.com/Service/S ... ystems.pdf

Their server is slow but it will load the PDF.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Sounds to me like your mother board should be replaced.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

So far, the voting is:

Defrost cycle: 2
Processor / motherboard: 2

Consider that rebooting the processor may default to a known "safe" state. My guess is that the defrost cycle has the internal temperature warmer than the set value, so it goes back into temperature regulation mode upon reboot.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

I'll vote for the defrost cycle. What temperatures are the refrigerator and freezer set at? What were the temperatures on the mornings you found it not running? What happens if you don't unplug it and let the defrost cycle complete?

EO
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Rupert wrote:I've got an almost two year old Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator. Twice in the past 6 months I have woken in the morning to find that the refrigerator/freezer stopped cooling/freezing at some point during the night. The lights inside came on when I opened the doors, but I couldn't hear the compressor or the fan working. On both occasions, I unplugged it for a minute and plugged it back in and it started working again. The compressor immediately kicked on and both the fridge and freezer started cooling again. After this happened the first time, I cleaned the coils as well as I could (they're underneath). So I don't think dirty coils are the problem. But I really don't know. Before I call a repairman, anyone have any ideas?

Hi Rupert,

While I can not offer any support, I was speaking with a repair man a week ago on this very subject of Whirlpool. He noted that it appears the quality of their products have really declined with the merger to Maytag a while back.

Hopefully you will have this resolved.

Good luck.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
snowx800

Post by snowx800 »

My whirlpool is 5-6years old same thing happened it was my mother board. $450.00 later. Good luck
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Defrost, heater or timer. That is my guess, and I am sticking to it.
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

Auto defrosting happens much more often than every six months... more like a few times per day. So I don't think it's "defrosting" that is the problem... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-defrost
Topic Author
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've found a repairman who will come troubleshoot the problem for $60. Given that I've lost more than that already in defrosted food, it's worth the price, I think. The owner's manual that came with the refrigerator was no help at all, but I will check out that link to the Whirlpool defrost cycle information. My Google searches confirm that it is likely either a defrost cycle problem or a motherboard problem. They don't make them like they used to, eh? This refrigerator replaced a 17-year-old Whirlpool that I was very happy with up to the day it died. I went with Whirlpool again mostly because they make the only side-by-side model I could find that fit the space under my kitchen cabinets. Seems they make 'em a lot bigger now than they used to too.
mikem

Post by mikem »

I have an International Harvester fridge made in approx 1952. Still runs and keeps beer cold(in the garage) and has had 1 freon leak & repair since its birth. No mother boards...all manual controls. The "state of the art" whirlpool in the kitchen has been fixed twice in 2 years. I hate new appliances...all of them. Planned obselescence... :annoyed
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

I had a couple random issues on my Fridge. One thing to know, many different brands use the same exact parts. My ice maker (through door) quit dispensing right out of the warranty period. About 2 years later something would start clicking repeatably and finally the compressor/ fan would start up. The time it took was taking longer and longer, finally I took the service panel off the back and located the clicking from the control board, got the part numbers and started searching online. I found the best price at Amazon, even after paying for 2 day shipping (I was getting impatient). The board was simple to install, just unplug, snap it out and reverse to install. It fixed my compressor start up issue and also to my surprise fixed my ice dispenser!