Most reliable used vehicles?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BHawks87

Most reliable used vehicles?

Post by BHawks87 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm looking to buy a used vehicle and want to get something with good gas mileage that is reliable. I am currently looking at used Toyota Corollas, Nissan Altimas, Honda Civics, and Hyundai Elantras. Anyone have some recommendations on cars that I should include to my list or exclude from my list? I don't really care what it looks like as long as its reliable, affordable, and gets good gas mileage. I'm also single and don't really have any need for extra cargo room or anything of that sort.

Thanks!

mlipps

Re: Most reliable used vehicles?

Post by mlipps » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:10 pm

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/ ... rt-people/

I found this link on Mr Money Mustache the other day and bookmarked it for the (much despised) day in the future when I finally have to break down & buy a car. Seems useful.

chaz

Post by chaz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Toyotas IMO.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:22 pm

I have 110K on my Nissan Pathfinder. So far I've had to replace the battery, get new tires and replace the oil.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:26 pm

mlipps wrote:http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/03/ ... rt-people/

I found this link on Mr Money Mustache the other day and bookmarked it for the (much despised) day in the future when I finally have to break down & buy a car. Seems useful.
From that article: "A car is not a luxurious salon for you to lounge in while you flaunt yourself to the world. It’s a handy machine that helps you get to very distant places on those rare occasions that you are too much of a wussypants to bike there. "

I like the cut of this guy's jib.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:30 pm

I'm a big fan of Consumer Reports and their annual car buying guides for new and used cars.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/20 ... 20000.html

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:37 pm

Don't forget, the efficient market hypothesis says that the public's perception of reliability is priced into the vehicle. :)

geocache

Post by geocache » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:57 pm

I bought a used 2010 Corolla about three months ago from Hertz Car Sales, the rental car company.
I had a good experience and the car runs like new.

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Geocache,

Can you expound on your experience with Hertz used auto sales?
Like the OP I will be looking for a good quality used car and thought hertz may be a reasonable option.

DA

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:08 pm

Ford Crown Victoria -- 1979-2011

Chrysler K cars -- 1981 -- 1989

Volvo 240 -- 1975-1993

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:16 pm

What price range are you looking at? I bought a reliable beater a few months ago and ended up with a 1999 Jeep Cherokee.

Normally a 20MPG SUV isn't very bogleheadish, but living in NYC and only driving 5-6k miles a year the poor MPG was offset by the low entry price for the year/miles. $2,800 for a 1999 XJ with 111k miles, vs $5,000+ for an older Toyota with 200k+ miles. Since they made 2 million of them parts are dirt cheap and every shadetree mechanic has worked on dozens of them.

Did mention its purple and an ex-gov vehicle ;)

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:21 pm

PowDay wrote:What price range are you looking at? I bought a reliable beater a few months ago and ended up with a 1999 Jeep Cherokee.

Normally a 20MPG SUV isn't very bogleheadish, but living in NYC and only driving 5-6k miles a year the poor MPG was offset by the low entry price for the year/miles. $2,800 for a 1999 XJ with 111k miles, vs $5,000+ for an older Toyota with 200k+ miles. Since they made 2 million of them parts are dirt cheap and every shadetree mechanic has worked on dozens of them.

Did mention its purple and an ex-gov vehicle ;)
My dad's Grand Cherokee made it to 290k.

Those yellow cab Crown Victorias are put through 500k miles of hell. When it comes to longevity, they're tough to beat.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Oh, one other car mentioned on Mr. Money Mustache today: 1st model Honda Insight, apparently gets 70 or so MPG and sells for about $5k now.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:44 pm

IMO, the most reliable used cars are Toyotas and Hondas. However, this is well known. Therefore, these used cars are priced accordingly.

Jeff

geocache

Post by geocache » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:19 pm

Devil's Advocate wrote:Geocache,

Like the OP I will be looking for a good quality used car and thought hertz may be a reasonable option.

DA
A bit of background, the car was for my Daughter so i wanted low miles on a recent used car that would offer reliable transportation. Hertz offered a no haggle price. I felt the price was reasonable and fair. I compared it to craigslist, and other large used car lots and feel that i got a good price. 2010 Corolla, approx 31k miles and I paid approx $12,200 not including tax, title and license.

When you find the car you are interested in on their website, you call them up and basically rent the car. If you agree to buy the car they subtract the cost of the rental from the price. For us, the car was clean, no dents, and drove like new. After we rented it, we called them up a few hours later and said we would keep it and I sent them an ACH for the cost. That’s it, I would guess we were in the rental office about 30-45 mins total. It was a zero pressure sale, with friendly staff. They do offer financing, but i didnt look into it. If you are in the market for a used car that is also a popular rental car, e.g. Accord, Corolla, Altima, Camery, etc. its worth looking into.

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:23 pm

geocache wrote:

DA
A bit of background, the car was for my Daughter so i wanted low miles on a recent used car that would offer reliable transportation. Hertz offered a no haggle price. I felt the price was reasonable and fair. I compared it to craigslist, and other large used car lots and feel that i got a good price. 2010 Corolla, approx 31k miles and I paid approx $12,200 not including tax, title and license.
That's high, especially for a fleet car. I would have offered $9k.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:42 pm

Dave76 wrote:
geocache wrote:

DA
That's high, especially for a fleet car. I would have offered $9k.
I haven't bought a car from Hertz but my understanding is that there is nobody to make an offer to. From what I read it basically an online process, and the only people you deal with at Hertz are rental counter agents. As with Carmax, the price may be non-negotiable.

Prices for fleet cars are not necessarily lower than for other cars in retail sales. If a car can't be sold online, it can always be auctioned, possibly with less overhead than negotiation would entail.

Paul

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:54 pm

It's cool someone else mentioned MMM, that's how I found out about Bogleheads and Vanguard :sharebeer

Anyways, I'm in the same boat, but I'm specifying a hatchback with all those qualities you are looking for. I'm interested in the Scion Xa and Xd. Consumer Reports had a good article that listed the most expensive cars to OPERATE, as compared to PURCHASE, which are not the same thing. For instance, my BMW 328i has great repair costs for the first 5 years (warranty, duh!), but after that they are astronomical, something I didn't take into account when I bought the thing. So that's something to consider. The article was on the Consumer Reports site.

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks geocache!

I am looking at a Hertz Ford Escape vs. Toyota RAV4.

Want decent mileage and 4WD.

DA

Robert44

Post by Robert44 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Devil's Advocate wrote:Thanks geocache!

I am looking at a Hertz Ford Escape vs. Toyota RAV4.

Want decent mileage and 4WD.

DA
I would go with the Toyota over the Ford. If you can find one, the Honda CRV is good also.

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:04 am

Robert44,

Yeah, that's my first pick too. My wife doesn't like the look of the spare tire on the back. Ultimately she hasn't ruled it out yet though if I strongly encourage it.

DA

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:15 am

[quote="Devil's Advocate"]Robert44,

Yeah, that's my first pick too. My wife doesn't like the look of the spare tire on the back. Ultimately she hasn't ruled it out yet though if I strongly encourage it.

DA[/quote]

Tell her when she has a flat tire it will look real good.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Good one Rec7!

I may use that quote on her!

DA :twisted:

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Stick to Toyota, Honda, Lexus, or Acura for best chance or reliable used (or new) car IMO

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:52 pm

wjwhitney wrote:Don't forget, the efficient market hypothesis says that the public's perception of reliability is priced into the vehicle. :)
Exactly.

And that is why it is better to buy Pontiac Vibe rather than Toyota Matrix.

Balance

Post by Balance » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Another person who recommends the MMM posting on reliable cars.

I agree on Toyotas and Hondas being the most reliable + gas efficient + low cost maintenance. We currently drive;
2006 Honda Civic 100,000 miles. I have only replaced 2 of the tires since the treadwear on the others are still very good. I normally do oil changes for $24 every 5,000 miles. I get a combined 35 MPG with regular unleaded. Insurance is $60/month in my area for full coverage with Geico.

2000 Acura Integra 158,000 miles. We have replaced all 4 tires just once. We get normal oil changes. And never had a problem with any repairs except the routine oil changes. At 100,000 miles we changed the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, cap and rotor, and a transmission flush.

Great thing about Hondas/Acuras and Toyotas is that they rarely break down, and if they do they don't cost much to repair. And they have great re-sale value compared to what you initially bought it for. Just check your local Craigslist of Autotrader. I previously bought a used 1994 Integra for $3300 in 2009 and sold it in 2011 for $3500.

Good luck on whatever you choose!

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:16 pm

Balance wrote:Another person who recommends the MMM posting on reliable cars.

I agree on Toyotas and Hondas being the most reliable + gas efficient + low cost maintenance. We currently drive;
Parts are more expensive than the domestic brands. Compare prices of alternators for the Honda Civic ($127) and the Dodge Aries K ($47) at Auto Parts Warehouse. Hondas and Toyotas are also costlier to insure. Insurance for my Chrysler is $300 for a full year.

Balance

Post by Balance » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:17 pm

Dave76 wrote:

Parts are more expensive than the domestic brands. Compare prices of alternators for the Honda Civic ($127) and the Dodge Aries K ($47) at Auto Parts Warehouse. Hondas and Toyotas are also costlier to insure. Insurance for my Chrysler is $300 for a full year.
The insurance depends on a lot of criteria including where you live. In high crime areas or areas where there are break-ins Hondas can be more expensive since they are apparently easy for car thieves to break into. Hondas also tend to be modified more by the tuner crowd which definitely has its liabilities. I also think it depends on the year/make of the car. Your Chrysler/Dodge may be cheaper for the insurance or have a cheaper alternator but I would love to see a side by side break down of costs and repairs as well as re-sale value. My parents had a Dodge Colt then a Dodge Aries when I was growing up and they were constantly breaking down. Then they bought the first model year that the Acura Integra came out and have never looked back because of the reliability.

My point is, take all things into consideration when you buy your car and you are looking for the best bang for your buck. When I had my old Acura Integra and it sold for more than I purchased it for after two years of using it I was convinced that the market was supporting the notion that this vehicle had tremendous overall value in all categories.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:03 pm

MMM also calculated that going from an suv to a car can shave 10 years from retirement:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/09/ ... s-guzzler/

I've had excellent luck with my Honda Fit, btw. Toyota's are great too.

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Balance wrote:
Dave76 wrote:

The insurance depends on a lot of criteria including where you live. In high crime areas or areas where there are break-ins Hondas can be more expensive since they are apparently easy for car thieves to break into. Hondas also tend to be modified more by the tuner crowd which definitely has its liabilities. I also think it depends on the year/make of the car. Your Chrysler/Dodge may be cheaper for the insurance or have a cheaper alternator but I would love to see a side by side break down of costs and repairs as well as re-sale value. My parents had a Dodge Colt then a Dodge Aries when I was growing up and they were constantly breaking down. Then they bought the first model year that the Acura Integra came out and have never looked back because of the reliability.

My point is, take all things into consideration when you buy your car and you are looking for the best bang for your buck. When I had my old Acura Integra and it sold for more than I purchased it for after two years of using it I was convinced that the market was supporting the notion that this vehicle had tremendous overall value in all categories.
The Colt was a Mitsubishi product. There were a couple of Toyota Tercels in my family and we had bad experiences with the carburetors. I think your parents' experience was the exception, not the norm. Chrysler 2.2 and 2.5 4 cylinder motors are known to be reliable, and they were very popular. My K car (2.5 I-4) is still going strong at 25. The Mitsubishi 2.6 is another story. My parents had problems with their Dodge Dart, and that car had a good reputation. Also, the quality of Japanese steel is poor.

The Acura Integra has street cred., and that's why the resale value is high.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:55 pm

wjwhitney wrote:Don't forget, the efficient market hypothesis says that the public's perception of reliability is priced into the vehicle. :)
This is exactly why I think many of the recommendations to go for a Toyota, Honda, Lexus, etc., here are misplaced when considering a USED car. Depreciation is your friend when buying used and your enemy when buying new. The best bargain is a reliable car that is less popular than the top tier Japanese manufacturers. Every time I have looked 2-3 year old Japanese used cars their prices are so high you might as well buy new. Now if looking at older stuff then it might be different. Personally I tend to seek out better than average reliability (according to Consumer Reports) US manufacturer cars which, until recently at least, sold used at a steep discount.

ilovedogs

Post by ilovedogs » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:02 pm

OP, you mentioned Honda Civics. I wanted to chime in for the Honda Accord. I had one problem free as the original owner for 12 years before an old guy drove into it in a parking lot. I was planning on 20.

larrydmsn

Post by larrydmsn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 pm

ilovedogs wrote:OP, you mentioned Honda Civics. I wanted to chime in for the Honda Accord. I had one problem free as the original owner for 12 years before an old guy drove into it in a parking lot. I was planning on 20.
Consider yourself lucky as that driver might have just saved you from paying thousands to fix your Accord. Accords from 1999-2002 have serious transmission problems. My 2002 Accord's transmission just went out with 97K miles and I am paying nearly 4K to have it replaced. It is a common problem for Accords made during that period and a google search yields lots of such complaints. Honda only extended warranty for a small number of them, leaving many more owners in disgust and anger, including me. Consumer Reports indicates Accords from from 2002 (it only goes that far) indeed has major transmission problems. Avoid them like a plague.

Radar

Post by Radar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:12 am

IMO - Honda - either a Honda Civic or a Honda Accord. If I were buying a Used Car, I would try to negotiate the best deal for a Honda Certified Used Car because of the multi-year/100K warranty.

I would also use Kelly Blue Book and NADA websites to get a good idea on their reliability and the most realistic sales price.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:22 pm

[quote="Dave76"][quote="Balance"][quote="Dave76"][quote="Balance"]Another person who recommends the MMM posting on reliable cars.

[/quote]

Parts are more expensive than the domestic brands. Compare prices of alternators for the Honda Civic ($127) and the Dodge Aries K ($47) at Auto Parts Warehouse. Hondas and Toyotas are also costlier to insure. Insurance for my Chrysler is $300 for a full year.[/quote]

My point is, take all things into consideration when you buy your car and you are looking for the best bang for your buck. When I had my old Acura Integra and it sold for more than I purchased it for after two years of using it I was convinced that the market was supporting the notion that this vehicle had tremendous overall value in all categories.[/quote]

The Colt was a Mitsubishi product. There were a couple of Toyota Tercels in my family and we had bad experiences with the carburetors. I think your parents' experience was the exception, not the norm. Chrysler 2.2 and 2.5 4 cylinder motors are known to be reliable, and they were very popular. My K car (2.5 I-4) is still going strong at 25. The Mitsubishi 2.6 is another story. My parents had problems with their Dodge Dart, and that car had a good reputation. Also, the quality of Japanese steel is poor.

The Acura Integra has street cred., and that's why the resale value is high.[/quote]

I knew a lady that had a Chrysler 2.5 cracked the head at 23 years old replaced the head and drove it four more years. On the same car she said it shifted rough. I checked the transmission fluid it did not read on the stick. I filled it up and it started shifting good. It was a great car but she was not great at checking fluids.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:46 am

My parents have 3 Toyota Corollas. Two are 2000+ models, bought new. The third is a 1991 with 194,000 miles. We got it when I was 7 in 1996 and I inherited it when I got my license. I have no need for it in the city so my parents keep it. We have maybe put $750 into it over its lifetime for repairs. So I would suggest that it doesn't matter if the Japanese parts are more expensive if you next to never have to replace anything.

snodog

Post by snodog » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:59 pm

Agree with those who said Toyota's and Honda's. I prefer Toyota's because they have timing chains instead of belts. Wife has a 2007 Yaris sedan that was listed in Consumer Reports as the most reliable used car a few years ago. If I was looking for something more sporty I like the new style Mazda3's which are supposed to be reliable. Scion xD's are also very cheap and reliable.

wander

Post by wander » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:26 am

BHawks87 wrote:I'm looking to buy a used vehicle and want to get something with good gas mileage that is reliable. I am currently looking at used Toyota Corollas, Nissan Altimas, Honda Civics, and Hyundai Elantras. Anyone have some recommendations on cars that I should include to my list or exclude from my list? I don't really care what it looks like as long as its reliable, affordable, and gets good gas mileage. I'm also single and don't really have any need for extra cargo room or anything of that sort.

Thanks!
It sounds like you need a new car.

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:03 am

snodog wrote:Agree with those who said Toyota's and Honda's. I prefer Toyota's because they have timing chains instead of belts.
From mid 2000s on most 4 cylinder Hondas use timing chains. Some of Toyota's later model 6 cyl engines have belts. Vitually all Honda 6 cyl engines have belts.

FlyHi

Post by FlyHi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:51 am

I had over 100,000 miles on my 2000 Camry (bought new) when I traded it in 2010 for a 2008 Toyota Sienna. The only reason I got rid of the Camry was because I needed a mini-van. I paid $15,000 (paid cash) for the Sienna which had about 50,000 miles on it. I am a Toyota fan.
“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”

Yam the Bomb

Post by Yam the Bomb » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:48 am

I have personally put over 250,000 miles on both a Honda and a Subaru. Both were fantastic and very reliable.

Of the two, I would go with Subaru due to the all wheel drive and the Outback is a great safe versatile car.

touchdowntodd

Post by touchdowntodd » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:42 am

toyotas with timing win by LEAPS and bounds ..

best value imho are echos and Yaris ... I happen to have a 2000 echo, never have i done anything but brakes 1 time and oil changes, 155k on it .. the wife has a 2007 yaris .. 85k on it no issues still factory brakes and all

both of these can easily clock in 300k if we want ... there is a reason so few come up for sale privately :sharebeer
tryin to do this right... thanks guys

Yam the Bomb

Post by Yam the Bomb » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:13 pm

The Mazda 3 is another reliable car I've had good experience with. Great gas milage too.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:29 pm

I am a big fan of Honda. Had many with over 200k and even bought one with 390k with original engine and transmission. Just take notice of which makes and models are on the road 10 years later.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis. Taxi fleets get 500K miles out of them.

pinebarrens1

Post by pinebarrens1 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:10 pm

are you kidding? turn on the lights and the windshield wipers come on...

Van

Post by Van » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:13 pm

BMW preowned certified.

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:56 pm

pinebarrens1 wrote:
are you kidding? turn on the lights and the windshield wipers come on...
My '87 K car is more dependable than my '12 Hyundai Elantra.

cjackson0

Post by cjackson0 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:07 am

Van wrote:BMW preowned certified.
A reliable stream of income for your local mechanic after the car reaches 75,000 miles

Terraplane

Post by Terraplane » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:00 pm

larrydmsn wrote:
ilovedogs wrote:OP, you mentioned Honda Civics. I wanted to chime in for the Honda Accord. I had one problem free as the original owner for 12 years before an old guy drove into it in a parking lot. I was planning on 20.
Consider yourself lucky as that driver might have just saved you from paying thousands to fix your Accord. Accords from 1999-2002 have serious transmission problems. My 2002 Accord's transmission just went out with 97K miles and I am paying nearly 4K to have it replaced. It is a common problem for Accords made during that period and a google search yields lots of such complaints. Honda only extended warranty for a small number of them, leaving many more owners in disgust and anger, including me. Consumer Reports indicates Accords from from 2002 (it only goes that far) indeed has major transmission problems. Avoid them like a plague.
I'll second this about the Honda transmissions. My 2002 Civic's trans went out suddenly and no recall even though a large amount of them went out. Beware that age.

Terraplane