Potato Salad

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gatorman

Potato Salad

Post by gatorman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:04 pm

This is an economical dish to make, and very tasty. I think Hemingway would have liked it, he wrote about potato salad a couple of times.

About 2.5 lbs small red potatos
1 cup diced celery
6 scallions sliced thin (white and some green)
1/4 red onion finely diced
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbs white wine vinegar
2 tbs diced parsley
1 tbs dill seed
1 tbs oregano
1 tsp rosemary
1 tbs salt
1 tbs pepper
1/2 cup evoo
Put the potatos in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for 15-20 minutes. You want them cooked but not mushy. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside to cool. After they are cooled cut into quarters, leaving the skin on. Add the scallions , celery and red onion. In a small bowl whisk the lemon juice, vinegar and spices together, slowly whisk in the olive oil. Pour dressing over other ingredients and combine them together. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Adjust seasoning before serving. Makes ~ 8-10 servings.
Last edited by gatorman on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

snyder66

Re: Potato Salad

Post by snyder66 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Is this the cooking forum?

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:51 pm

mike143

Post by mike143 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 pm

A baked potato and a stick of butter is even more economical.

It interesting that threads get locked up if they go off course slightly but ones that start out that way stay around. I guess they die on their own.

If you are creating your own recipes put them up on allrecipes.com. That and Alton Brown are my go to "recipe books".
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:55 pm

As a working person, I purchase 2 lb containers of potato salad from my local supermarket and I SMILE as I eat it..
Attempted new signature...

mike143

Post by mike143 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:00 pm

Publix has a good red potato salad, they slice the potatoes like chips.

maitrina

Post by maitrina » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Funny how my first post is on a food thread (I'm appreciative of the caring ((most of the time!)) commitment by many of you to this forum. Thanks so much.).

With "tbs" I think you may have confused tablespoons with teaspoons.
"I'd like to live like a poor man with lots of money." - Pablo Picasso

downshiftme

Post by downshiftme » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:03 pm

What is evoo? Oh, Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Never heard it called evoo.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:05 pm

What is evoo?

extra virgin olive oil?
Gordon

mike143

Post by mike143 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:07 pm

downshiftme wrote:What is evoo? Oh, Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Never heard it called evoo.

Rachael Ray is offended.

Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:12 pm

how about just potato and vodka,cheap and entertaining.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:14 pm

downshiftme wrote:What is evoo? Oh, Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Never heard it called evoo.

The problem is your spelling, not your pronunciation. It's EVVO.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Ed 2 wrote:how about just potato and vodka,cheap and entertaining.

Vodka already has the potato. No need for duplication. Just vodka, or if you insist, vodka and vodka.

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:21 pm

The Wizard wrote:As a working person, I purchase 2 lb containers of potato salad from my local supermarket and I SMILE as I eat it..

I used to do that, but I decided I could eat better,eat healthier and reduce cost if I cooked from scratch, which I've tried to do for the last 10 years or so. I can't say I do it all the time, but that certainly is the goal. I'm a working person too.
gatorman

Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:24 pm

sscritic wrote:

Vodka already has the potato. No need for duplication. Just vodka, or if you insist, vodka and vodka.

There is a longstanding assumption that vodka is made from potatoes, and historically that was true. Majority of Vodka's made from wheat. So, Vodka plus potato Boglehead way to me. :sharebeer
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:24 pm

maitrina wrote:Funny how my first post is on a food thread (I'm appreciative of the caring ((most of the time!)) commitment by many of you to this forum. Thanks so much.).

With "tbs" I think you may have confused tablespoons with teaspoons.

Nope, but feel free to adjust the seasoning to your individual taste.
Last edited by gatorman on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:27 pm

sscritic wrote:

Most vodkas are distilled from grain. Luksusowa is a fine choice for the potato variety.

Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:29 pm

gatorman wrote:
The Wizard wrote:As a working person, I purchase 2 lb containers of potato salad from my local supermarket and I SMILE as I eat it..

I used to do that, but I decided I could eat better,eat healthier and reduce cost if I cooked from scratch, which I've tried to do for the last 10 years or so. I can't say I do it all the time, but that certainly is the goal. I'm a working person too.
gatorman

agree, potato salads are most unhealthiest things human can eat. I would call this salad "heart attack salad".

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Ed 2 wrote:
gatorman wrote:

gatorman

agree, potato salads are most unhealthiest things human can eat. I would call this salad "heart attack salad".

My recipe or the kind one buys ready made at the store?

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:34 pm

Ed 2 wrote:agree, potato salads are most unhealthiest things human can eat. I would call this salad "heart attack salad".

But he left out the mayonnaise! The best potato salads start with soaking the hot potatoes in the salad dressing (aka EVOO with vinegar and spices) and finish with adding the mayonnaise after it is cooled off. That's a heart attack salad.

What you buy in a store tends to have a double dose of mayonnaise, so even if they leave out the EVVO, it still qualifies as a HAS.

Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:40 pm

sscritic wrote:
Ed 2 wrote:agree, potato salads are most unhealthiest things human can eat. I would call this salad "heart attack salad".

But he left out the mayonnaise! The best potato salads start with soaking the hot potatoes in the salad dressing (aka EVOO with vinegar and spices) and finish with adding the mayonnaise after it is cooled off. That's a heart attack salad.

What you buy in a store tends to have a double dose of mayonnaise, so even if they leave out the EVVO, it still qualifies as a HAS.

every time I hear word "mayonnaise" I recall Mark Haines always liked to tell how he liked to eat a lot of mayo,you know what happened to him.?

Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:44 pm

gatorman wrote:
Ed 2 wrote:
gatorman wrote:

gatorman

My recipe or the kind one buys ready made at the store?

no, but potato alone is not healthy chose to me.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Ed 2 wrote:every time I hear word "mayonnaise" I recall Mark Haines always liked to tell how he liked to eat a lot of mayo,you know what happened to him.?

Is there a link between mayonnaise and [medical condition removed by admin LadyGeek]?

Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:46 pm

sscritic wrote:
Ed 2 wrote:every time I hear word "mayonnaise" I recall Mark Haines always liked to tell how he liked to eat a lot of mayo,you know what happened to him.?

Is there a link between mayonnaise and [medical condition removed by admin LadyGeek]?

yes!!!!! if you eat mayo whole your life.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Salad? Byuck! Wrap some potatoes in foil and throw them in the coals/oven/microwave till their done. Yummy Yummy in your Tummy! -- Tet

Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:51 pm

sscritic wrote:

this condition maybe not however the second condition that it is probably present in addition to the previous diagnosed condition and it is the underlying condition that is believed to cause the first condition.

Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:53 pm

tetractys wrote:Salad? Byuck! Wrap some potatoes in foil and throw them in the coals/oven/microwave till their done. Yummy Yummy in your Tummy! -- Tet

with baked salmon

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:29 pm

mike143 wrote:Publix has a good red potato salad, they slice the potatoes like chips.

I love the Publix red potato salad, too. But gatorman's recipe without the mayo sounds good.

ataloss

Post by ataloss » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:55 pm

I don't want to violate any rules by posting a link but [medical condition removed by admin LadyGeek] has nothing to do with fat or cornary artery disease. You can google it

pingo

Post by pingo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:56 pm

I saw the thread title and thought: ill-named lazy portfolio?

Turned out to be something more complicated. :D

fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Strange recipie.

No chopped hard boiled eggs? No mayo? No dry mustard? No French's mustard?

What the heck is a parsley seed? Do you really mean celery seed which is very common in potato salad?

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:29 pm

snyder66 wrote:Is this the cooking forum?

The forum is not only about purchasing specific items, it includes "how we spend our money and our time". Travel and entertainment, including cooking, are acceptable topics. (Guidance from Alex Frakt, the site owner.)

As a reminder, discussions of medical conditions are off-topic.
Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust maintained by the Consumer and Patient Health Information section of the Medical Library Association.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Ed 2 wrote:
tetractys wrote:Salad? Byuck! Wrap some potatoes in foil and throw them in the coals/oven/microwave till their done. Yummy Yummy in your Tummy! -- Tet

with baked salmon

+1

fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:58 pm

In my church, cooking a potato in foil is a mortal sin.....YUK!

Chris

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:18 pm

fishnskiguy wrote:In my church, cooking a potato in foil is a mortal sin.....YUK!

Ha Ha. How do you bake them? -- Tet

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:24 pm

tetractys wrote:Ha Ha. How do you bake them? -- Tet

I bake mine with the skin on. I tried it once with the skin off, but it just crumbled into pieces in my oven.

fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:30 pm

tetractys wrote:
fishnskiguy wrote:In my church, cooking a potato in foil is a mortal sin.....YUK!

Ha Ha. How do you bake them? -- Tet

The purpose of baking a potato (over all other cooking methods) is to remove moisture leaving dry flaky potato flesh. Russett potatos respond to this method better than all others.

They should be cooked whole in an oven at 450F for an hour. Or nuked for 10 min followed by 30min in a 450f oven to drive out the moisture.

Chirs

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:36 pm

fishnskiguy wrote:Strange recipie.

What the heck is a parsley seed? Do you really mean celery seed which is very common in potato salad?

Chris

Chris- Dill seed, dill is used a lot in Scandanavian cooking, very flavorful. I like celery seed as well, I put it into my coleslaw, very tasty.

fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:40 pm

gatorman wrote:

Chris

Chris- Dill seed, dill is used a lot in Scandanavian cooking, very flavorful. I like celery seed as well, I put it into my coleslaw, very tasty.

Learn something new every day on this forum.

Chris

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:48 pm

You missed my recipes for gumbo and sausage-lentil soup.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:51 pm

gatorman wrote:You missed my recipes for gumbo and sausage-lentil soup.

They must not contain any of the words cook, bake, and boil.* Those were the search terms I used when looking at all your posts.

* Or the search function failed me.

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 pm

sscritic wrote:

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/EVOO

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:11 pm

gatorman wrote:
sscritic wrote:

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/EVOO

Typos, typos. What are you going to do? :(

I was trying to make the point (and failed) that it is EVOO, not evoo, as your link confirms. But let's talk pronunciation. Does anyone say "evu" as in a bad pronunciation of the beginning of evolution? Long e or short? Isn't long e British?
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/pron ... /evolution

[This harkens back to my livesoft, long i or short thread.]

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:47 pm

If you had my grandmother's/mothers(family tradition) potato salad you wouldn't say that :beer

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:43 am

fishnskiguy wrote:
gatorman wrote:

Chris

Learn something new every day on this forum.

Chris

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dill
Wikipedia lists dill as a spice used in potato salad in Serbia. Who knew?
gatorman

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:12 am

Thank you, Gatorman, for your wonderful recipe! I had planned to make it last night. In fact I had even boiled the red potatoes with a great sense of excitement and anticipation. Because I have a big Boglehead day ahead of me, driving around town to banks that will let me change the terms of my CDs only if I appear in person with three forms of I.D., and I wanted to have something ready in the frig for supper because I'm sure I will wilt before then. But then I kept thinking of how my husband will only eat potato salad if it has big globs of mayonnaise, and I chickened out. Reluctantly I made the potatoes into curry instead. But I still plan to make it because it sounds wonderful. Thank you for posting this! :D

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:25 am

Hemingway on potato salad:
http://www.karenkaminski.com/2006/03/he ... salad.html

some more:
http://elaineintheslowlane.blogspot.com ... ngway.html
http://www.tourthepage.com/tag/hemingway/

His final meal didn't include it though, he had a NY strip,caesar salad and a baked potato at a restaurant in Ketchum, Idaho.

gatorman

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:43 am

Mrs.Feeley wrote:Thank you, Gatorman, for your wonderful recipe! I had planned to make it last night. In fact I had even boiled the red potatoes with a great sense of excitement and anticipation. Because I have a big Boglehead day ahead of me, driving around town to banks that will let me change the terms of my CDs only if I appear in person with three forms of I.D., and I wanted to have something ready in the frig for supper because I'm sure I will wilt before then. But then I kept thinking of how my husband will only eat potato salad if it has big globs of mayonnaise, and I chickened out. Reluctantly I made the potatoes into curry instead. But I still plan to make it because it sounds wonderful. Thank you for posting this! :D

Ya' know, if he won't eat it, that means there's lots more for you. Just sayin' . . .

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:57 am

Things must be slow. Forty-seven posts on potato salad in less than twenty-four hours.
Gordon

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:28 pm

gatorman wrote:
Mrs.Feeley wrote:Thank you, Gatorman, for your wonderful recipe! I had planned to make it last night. In fact I had even boiled the red potatoes with a great sense of excitement and anticipation. Because I have a big Boglehead day ahead of me, driving around town to banks that will let me change the terms of my CDs only if I appear in person with three forms of I.D., and I wanted to have something ready in the frig for supper because I'm sure I will wilt before then. But then I kept thinking of how my husband will only eat potato salad if it has big globs of mayonnaise, and I chickened out. Reluctantly I made the potatoes into curry instead. But I still plan to make it because it sounds wonderful. Thank you for posting this! :D

Ya' know, if he won't eat it, that means there's lots more for you. Just sayin' . . .

Exactly! That's why I didn't make it. Late-night munchies and big bowl of home-made potato salad on hand, a rather dangerous combination. :wink: