TV commercial volume reduction device

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
PacNorWest

TV commercial volume reduction device

Post by PacNorWest » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Last edited by PacNorWest on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muchtolearn

Re: TV commercial volume reduction device

Post by Muchtolearn » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:13 pm

It is the last channel button or favorite channels. As soon as a commercial begins, I'm gone.

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:31 am

I’ve never understood why TV’s don’t have AGC?(automatic gain control)

(TV manufacturers would probably be sued by advertisers)
:)

magellan

Post by magellan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:41 am

PacNorWest

Post by PacNorWest » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:36 am

It shouldn't take an Act of Congress.
This is an age of smart devices. Is there not a TV set that can be programmed to detect and lower volume to 5, 10, 20% of the set volume during commercials and return to normal volume after the commercial break?

If someone wants to invent this, I'll come out of retirement and work for free to help get it started!

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:21 pm

PacNorWest wrote:Which flat panels screens will allow for automatically reducing (not mute) the volume setting during commercial breaks?
Or is there a plug in device available that will provide that same feature?
This feature did exist, I had it on an RCA that finally gave up the ghost (I thought they called it
smart sound).

I did find the follwoing article about repairing teis feature on an RCA.
You could see if this works on an RCA in a store has these features before buying.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12009058_repair ... ca-tv.html

IS0LD0UT

Post by IS0LD0UT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Sony TVs have this feature. They call it steady sound.
http://esupport.sony.com/referencebook/ ... ngs04.html

dual

Post by dual » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:41 pm

PacNorWest wrote:(not mute) the volume setting during commercial breaks?
I am curious why you do not want to mute. We do this for all commercial breaks and have nearly worn out the button on our remote.

A related issue is determining the response time of the mute feature. Our TV has a fast response and the mute even takes place during the long time to switch to a new channel.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:54 pm

PacNorWest

Post by PacNorWest » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:37 pm

@dual
Sometimes the commercials have something that interest me.
Occasionally I find an amusing commercial that I don't mind watching.

@Rob5TCP
Wow! Thank you. . .

soaring

Post by soaring » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:55 pm

We tape everything we watch and zoom thru the advertising garbage.
Desiderata

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:33 pm

soaring wrote:We tape everything we watch and zoom thru the advertising garbage.
+1. A DVR is the only way I can watch commercial TV. For sporting events, we turn them on after they've been going for an hour or so, and then catch up to live during the game.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:53 pm

I'll third the DVR technique. Skipping the ads is far better than just muting them. And since you can pause the TV anytime you want, you don't even need to rely on the ads to give you a bathroom break. :D

Of course, now advertisers are resorting to putting the ads right in the program. No escaping that, I'm afraid...

"Lieutenant! We've discovered who the murderer is!"

"Nice work, O'Malley! You'll have to tell me all about it... after I finish drinking this refreshing Coke Zero(tm)."

JJ
Stay on target...

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Claude wrote:
soaring wrote:We tape everything we watch and zoom thru the advertising garbage.
+1. A DVR is the only way I can watch commercial TV. For sporting events, we turn them on after they've been going for an hour or so, and then catch up to live during the game.

+1000

Oddlot

Post by Oddlot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:03 pm

I also use a DVR for most programs, but I also like Uverse's multi-view feature (maybe not exactly what they call it) for monitoring cable news channels. It allows you to see the picture & sound for one channel, and picture only for three other channels (more by scrolling), on the screen at one time. When a commercial starts on the active channel, switch to another channel not in commercial. Works best with a big screen.

PacNorWest

Post by PacNorWest » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Do not all the DVR devices require some type of subscription service?

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:51 pm

PacNorWest wrote:Do not all the DVR devices require some type of subscription service?
More or less. Sort of.

A DVR is really two parts--the device itself that does the recording and playing back, and the feed of program data that lets the device know what's on at what time and on what channel. That data feed is what you're subscribing too.

I suppose you could skip the subscription and just use the DVR to pause live TV. Maybe some models will let you manually-program the time/channel, like we used to all do with VCRs? I don't know.

Tivo used to offer a model with a "lifetime" subscription. Perhaps they still do. More expensive, of course. Or you might be able to cobble together something using a spare PC, a tuner card, and some open-source DVR software.

JJ
Stay on target...

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Claude wrote:
+1

It's pretty amazing how fast you can get through an NFL football game that way.

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Broadcasters must implement the CALM act provisions by December 1st, 2012. So perhaps you can hold out until then to see if your problem has been mitigated somewhat?

I share the same concerns as the OP with annoyance at the volume during commercials. I frequently watch television while doing chores, such as washing the dishes (no dishwasher!), where I set volume during the program somewhat loudly to compensate for being far away and the water that's running. But then when the commercials come on it's TOO LOUD. And it's hard to mute every 5 minutes with occupied and usually wet hands. Other times we have to keep the volume somewhat loud because we have a window unit A/C behind us that's running. But even with the A/C on, the jump in volume when the commercials come on is SO jarring that we have to jump for the remote and it just kills the enjoyment. My wife is very sensitive to the noise level discrepancy , and if I don't have the remote in-hand, and hit that DOWN volume button within milliseconds, and I get that "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!???" look. :annoyed

NS
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes".

Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:24 pm

Claude wrote:
This is just about the only way I watch a sporting event anymore. I either let it run a bit and catch up, or I tape it and watch it later. In either case, I fast forward through commercials....and like another poster indicated, my fast forward button has worn off the letters :D
Andy

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:29 pm

PacNorWest wrote:
It shouldn't take an Act of Congress.
This is an age of smart devices. Is there not a TV set that can be programmed to detect and lower volume to 5, 10, 20% of the set volume during commercials and return to normal volume after the commercial break?

If someone wants to invent this, I'll come out of retirement and work for free to help get it started!
Well, without the regulation, millions of people would be required to purchase a device and then figure how to install and use it. The regulation known as the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act (or CALM), starts in December. Ads and promos will have to remain at the same audio levels as scheduled programming. If you can wait four more months, the problem will go away.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."