Buying New Laptop: Wait Until Windows 8 Rel.?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mur44

Buying New Laptop: Wait Until Windows 8 Rel.?

Post by mur44 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:24 pm

My 7 year old laptop PC needs replacement as it is kind of slow. There is no
rush to replace it now as it is my second PC. It is used for basic stuff.

Should I wait until Microsoft releases Windows 8 to buy Windows
8 compatible PC?

sscritic

Re: Buying New Laptop: Wait Until Windows 8 Rel.?

Post by sscritic » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:29 pm

You should be able to find a Windows 8 compatible machine now; the requirements are well known. The upgrade will cost you $15 for a newly purchased machine.

https://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US

This website cannot be viewed in Safari - thanks microsoft. :(

linuxuser

Post by linuxuser » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Some PCs will come with free upgrade to Windows 8. I know Dell did that when Windows 7 was coming out.

fandango

Post by fandango » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:34 pm

I plan to wait until Windows 8 is readily available.

If I remember correctly, the initial roll out of Windows 8 would be around October 23rd. So, I will wait until the first quarter of 2013 to order my new computer.

They do have some offers now where you have Windows 7 installed on your machine and you can download Windows 8 later at no cost. I tried something similar to this
five or six years ago and was never satisfied with the result. Computer was "glitchy".

So, I am waiting a few months.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:53 pm

They do have some offers now where you have Windows 7 installed on your machine and you can download Windows 8 later at no cost. I tried something similar to this
five or six years ago and was never satisfied with the result. Computer was "glitchy".

So, I am waiting a few months.
I had that experience too. In addition I would wait until the new version has been out a few months before going to it.

Unless there is something you really want in Windows 8 you might be able to just buy a Windows 7 laptop at a good price when they are clearing out the inventory and then never upgrade it.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:17 pm

fandango wrote: They do have some offers now where you have Windows 7 installed on your machine and you can download Windows 8 later at no cost.
Can you give us a link? Is it from a major manufacturer, Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc. or your neighborhood-fly-by-night-we-build-it-for-you machine?

blu-ray

Post by blu-ray » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Windows 8 ? If its a second PC, and if you don't mind doing some Microsoft R&D testing - yeah why not?

I'm just kidding actually but looking at the progression of Windows

ME - I'm just glad I didn't get a PC with Windows Millennium Edition on it
XP - very stable, still my favorite Windows OS
Vista - I am not, was not impressed with Vista at all.
Windows 7 - is acceptable and seems to be the most stable 64bit Windows OS. I still prefer XP
Windows 8 - could be good, or it could be another Win-ME or Vista

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:31 pm

sscritic wrote:
fandango wrote: They do have some offers now where you have Windows 7 installed on your machine and you can download Windows 8 later at no cost.
Can you give us a link? Is it from a major manufacturer, Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc. or your neighborhood-fly-by-night-we-build-it-for-you machine?
Looks like Best Buy will provide Win 8 for $14.99. When I bought my desktop from Staples, they had a similar Microsoft offer. It came with Vista and for $14.95 I got a Win 7 upgrade. I never heard of such an upgrade for free. Not surprising, it required using internet explorer to download the Microsoft upgrade. Firefox was blocked.
http://www.salescircular.com/mi/computer/laptpp.shtml
Best Wishes, SpringMan

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:35 pm

I would wait for the full release and give it several months for the major bugs to be found and fixed.

also, if you are an MS Office user, I believe there will be a 2013 release of those tools. Office 2013 will not be compatible with Vista or XP

my Dell with XP professional has been giving good service since 2003, I can easily wait another six moths to a year for the whole package.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:43 pm

SpringMan wrote:
sscritic wrote:
Looks like Best Buy will provide Win 8 for $14.99. When I bought my desktop from Staples, they had a similar Microsoft offer. It came with Vista and for $14.95 I got a Win 7 upgrade. I never heard of such an upgrade for free. Not surprising, it required using internet explorer to download the Microsoft upgrade. Firefox was blocked.
http://www.salescircular.com/mi/computer/laptpp.shtml
$15 is not free. I gave the link for the $15 upgrade in the very first response. Fandango claimed he found it for free. If you want to help fandango out, give us a link to a free upgrade.

topos

Post by topos » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Windows 8 is a pain on a desktop computer. The new "Modern UI" (formerly known as "Metro") makes no sense on a large screen. I would get a computer with Windows 7 when they are still avaliable!

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:33 pm

I have tried the beta and have to agree with Topos on this. While there are some performance increases with Win8, the UI is in the opinion of many, myself included not very useful for traditional computing with mouse and keyboard. On the other hand if laptops are released with touch screens perhaps it will be better I don't know. I see what MS is trying to do merging UI's across platforms but it does not "work" for me in its current iteration at least without a touch screen. There are third-party fixes that appear to work (I haven't tried them) if you want a more traditional interface. Personally if it were me I'd get a Win7 laptop with the $15 upgrade to Win8. That way I could choose my poison (which for me is actually usually Linux :D ).

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:40 pm

sscritic wrote:$15 is not free. I gave the link for the $15 upgrade in the very first response. Fandango claimed he found it for free. If you want to help fandango out, give us a link to a free upgrade.
Sorry I missed your earlier post. I can not provide a link to free Win 8 upgrade.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 pm

topos wrote:Windows 8 is a pain on a desktop computer. The new "Modern UI" (formerly known as "Metro") makes no sense on a large screen. I would get a computer with Windows 7 when they are still avaliable!
I don't entirely agree, but I'm a little biased. That said, Windows 8 is clearly an improved experience with a touch screen, whether that means a tablet or a big touch monitor.

You've got a couple options at this point:
  • Get a good Win7 machine without touch now. Upgrade to Win8 for $15 if you want; the mouse gestures equivalent to touch take a little getting used to, but that comes quickly enough after using it for a little while.
  • Get a Win7 touch machine now. Upgrade to Win8 for $15 and get the prime experience.
  • Wait for Win8 release and get Win8-certified x86/64 hardware. You'll get better touch hardware and the best possible experience, but probably also at something of a price premium.
  • If this is a secondary PC that you're not heavily using, consider waiting on a Win8 ARM device for lighter loads. It won't run your legacy software, but it will include Office as part of the default install, it'll be a capable web and e-mail device, and you can get other apps from the Store.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:51 pm

You might want to read this. It does not sound good.
http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... _end_.html

brianH

Post by brianH » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:25 pm

I agree with the negative votes for Win8. I'm a pretty big MS fan, have a unlimited software subscription (MSDN) to all Microsoft products, and I've been using 8 since the developer preview. I dislike it strongly both as a software developer and as a general user.

If you're comfortable with the standard Windows interface (XP or 7), I'd stick with Windows 7. There's absolutely no substantive benefits to Win8 on a non-touch device. As others have mentioned, it may get radically better once a few service packs (upgrades) get released, but do you really want to work through the issues of a new model car?

Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:25 pm

brianH wrote:I agree with the negative votes for Win8. I'm a pretty big MS fan, have a unlimited software subscription (MSDN) to all Microsoft products, and I've been using 8 since the developer preview. I dislike it strongly both as a software developer and as a general user.

If you're comfortable with the standard Windows interface (XP or 7), I'd stick with Windows 7. There's absolutely no substantive benefits to Win8 on a non-touch device. As others have mentioned, it may get radically better once a few service packs (upgrades) get released, but do you really want to work through the issues of a new model car?
XP will be supported until April of 2014. I'm planning on keeping it until then.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Have you considered a Apple Laptop?
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

paulsiu

Post by paulsiu » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:03 pm

Download windows 8 and try it out. The interface is pretty different. If you hate it, get the windows 7 machine. It will be supported for a long time.

Paul

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:38 pm

Things change, and you have a choice of whether you want to be bleeding edge, behind the edge, or 10 years behind. If you like your floppy drives, good for you. Maybe you like to hear the whir of your hard drive, but I don't think hard drives are going to be around for that long. Whether you like the cloud or not (I don't particularly), CD/DVDs are disappearing; the Windows 8 upgrade comes as a download, you can pay extra for a disc, but Microsoft really doesn't want to give you one, and by Windows 10, they may not be available. By then, you might not even touch your machine (no mouse, no keyboard), since voice and hand gestures will do all you need. The next generation after that might replace your hands as a control device with your eyes. Who knows? It just speculation (certainly on my part).

My father is 96, and learning to use an iPad is very frustrating, both for him and his teachers. I hate change just as much as the next person, but part of me thinks I should start learning the future now, so that I don't have to start from scratch in 20 years.

Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:57 pm

sscritic wrote:the Windows 8 upgrade comes as a download,
SS:

How does that work? Do you have to have windows 7 installed in order to download the win 8 upgrade?
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Jerilynn wrote:
sscritic wrote:the Windows 8 upgrade comes as a download,
SS:

How does that work? Do you have to have windows 7 installed in order to download the win 8 upgrade?
I just read that today on the microsoft discounted upgrade site (mentioned in the first response) that is specific to people buying new machines with Windows 7.

From a quick google:
The other offer, announced this week [some date in July], is for people who bought their Windows PC prior to June 2 and are running Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7. They will be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro via download for $39.99 or by purchasing a DVD at a retail store for $69.99. The offer ends Jan. 31 and, like the other upgrade deal, is available in 131 markets.
Again, they discourage you from getting a disc by charging you $30 for 10 cents worth of plastic and a cardboard box.

Topic Author
mur44

Post by mur44 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:13 am

Thanks all of you for the replies. sscritic, you definitely have
great vision. Congratulations to your father who is learning to
use iPad at 96.

Does Windows-8 need touch screen to effectively use the PC?
Is touch screen standard these days on laptops?

topos

Post by topos » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:01 am

Touch screens are not standard at all these days on laptop. The truth is nobody exactly know how well Windows 8 will feel on a touchscreen. It seems design for that, but no OEM have shown convincing products so far showing its power (if Win8 does indeed have such power). There are several reviews on the Web showing the shortcoming of Win8, even on "touch UI" devices. The main complain was the inconsistency in the environment: sometime one has to leave the "touch" friendly environment to the (touch unfriendly) desktop environment, even for some simple actions.
On the current laptop (no touch screen) and even more on the desktop, the overwhelming feeling is that it does not fit.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:30 am

sscritic wrote:Things change, and you have a choice of whether you want to be bleeding edge, behind the edge, or 10 years behind. (rest of great post snipped)
I totally agree with what your are saying however I guess my experience over on the Linux side of things where we have been/are going through major UI changes over the last few years (Gnome 2>3, KDE 3>4, and Ubuntu's Unity) has taught me that there is frequently little point torturing yourself using the initial releases of a major UI change unless you really do like being on the bleeding edge. Most of those UI's matured considerably over their initial year or two becoming much. much better. Basically to me Win 8's UI seems half baked at this point and the developer and hardware ecosystems have not caught up. So I think it is totally rational even for a forward thinking person to take a wait and see approach to see how things shake out. I don't mind learning new UIs but they have to offer me something for my efforts and at this point Win 8 offers me nothing but a promise.

Edit: I should add that major UI updates are no more popular with the presumably geekier/more forward thinking Linux crowd than they are with Windows users.
Last edited by THY4373 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

brianH

Post by brianH » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:31 am

Another consideration, that may not be relevant here, is what will be used in your place of business. I can all but guarantee that Win8 will not be adopted by the 'Enterprise'. Many of them are still executing their XP->7 migration. Any software for Win7 will be compatible with the Win8 desktop mode, but if you get acclimated to certain workflows in Win7, you may feel annoyed at how Win8 forces you to take a circuitous route.

This, I feel, is probably my biggest complaint as a power user. Want to force updates, the standard Windows Update interface is still there, but there is also a Modern UI style update tool as well. The Modern UI version is dumbed down, yet it is used as the standard interface for that task.

I will commend Microsoft for the upgrade process, at least from Win7 to Win8. It works seamlessly, fully copying over any programs and settings (I haven't tried from XP.) From a risk-adverse perspective, I would be surprised if MS doesn't offer the $40 upgrade beyond what is scheduled (1/31/2013). By that time, it will be in stores or someone you know may have it. If there are features that you like, the upgrade might be worth it. At least you'll know more going in rather than be forced to deal with an interface that you may find far worse than what you are accustomed to.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:48 am

THY4373 wrote: So I think it is totally rational even for a forward thinking person to take a wait and see approach to see how things shake out. I don't mind learning new UIs but they have to offer me something for my efforts and at this point Win 8 offers me nothing but a promise.

Edit: I should add that major UI updates are no more popular with the presumably geekier/more forward thinking Linux crowd than they are with Windows users.
Totally agree. Behind the edge is where I like to be. And UI updates aren't popular with Mac users either, where Mountain Lion has just disrupted more than a few ingrained habits. But that's another example of where we are headed. Both Apple and Microsoft want your computer to act like your tablet and cell phone. Note, this is not about touch screens per se; finger gestures work on touch pads as well (and to limited extent on mice - I still don't use all the possible finger gestures on my magic mouse, but I use some of them).

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:05 am

topos wrote:Windows 8 is a pain on a desktop computer. The new "Modern UI" (formerly known as "Metro") makes no sense on a large screen. I would get a computer with Windows 7 when they are still avaliable!

I agree with this, I have been running window 8 my my son's laptop, and it is a pain, I find for most everything I switch back into the "Desktop" application ie normal windows. I predict many businesses will not be adopting this and wait for the next version.

If you have a touch scree and like the Apple ipod style interface I'm sure its good, but for a normal desktop with a mouse forget it.

I would get the windows 7 machine 30 days before the Windows 8 release, most manufactures will offer an upgrade option to Windows 8 for a nominal price....
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin