what can i do with an apple tv?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sunnyday

what can i do with an apple tv?

Post by sunnyday » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:47 pm

I just received an apple TV as a gift and plan to hook it up. I'm not sure how much use i'll get out of tho because I already have a net top computer hooked up to my TV. With my current setup I can do everything you can running windows 7. However with apple TV its my understanding that you need to pay for most content (including hulu).

Are there any advantages to apple TV over a PC? Would jail breaking it help increase the functionality?

maxim81

Re: what can i do with an apple tv?

Post by maxim81 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Apple TV allows you to run "apps" over your T.V. Apps like hulu, mlb, nba. You can send content (movies for e.g.) from your iDevice to your TV via Apple TV. So yeah, it's like hooking up your PC to your TV.. but for the average folk :)

cjackson0

Post by cjackson0 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:59 pm

If it suits your fancy, you can try xbmc or boxee on the appleTv. I'm not well versed on AppleTV hacking, but http://www.appletvhacks.net/ would be a good place to start.

In a nutshell: yes, AppleTV is like hooking a PC to your TV but with a more streamlined ("for average folk") interface. You can't get to regular Hulu.com, but you can pay for Hulu Plus ($8 a month) I believe.

Personally, my household went with a standard Windows 7 desktop PC hooked up via HDMI (more powerful than your netbook probably) and bought a standard IR remote and mostly used Hulu Desktop and Windows Media Center. It worked ok and was more to my tastes than my wife's. We have since gone back to the local Cable Co., but without DVR as we can still switch inputs the Media Center and go to Hulu (or bittorrent if necessary) and watch whatever we missed.
Sent from my iphone

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:54 pm

cjackson0 wrote:If it suits your fancy, you can try xbmc or boxee on the appleTv. I'm not well versed on AppleTV hacking, but http://www.appletvhacks.net/ would be a good place to start.
If you purchase the newer Apple TV (3rd generation), you cannot hack it. That was the original and second generation Apple tv. Actually if you look online you will notice the old Apple tv's selling at more than double a retail Apple tv 3.

sunnyday

Post by sunnyday » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. It seems pretty limited,especially compared to my current set up so I'll probably give it away or use it as a paper weight.
cjackson0 wrote:
Personally, my household went with a standard Windows 7 desktop PC hooked up via HDMI (more powerful than your netbook probably) and bought a standard IR remote and mostly used Hulu Desktop and Windows Media Center.
My home theater computer is a nettop (not netbook). It's a mini pc for $300, has Win 7, hdmi, an atom processor (good on energy) and came with a wireless remote and keyboard (I usually control it with my phone though). I've been very happy with it and have been without cable for a while now.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:07 pm

It will let you mirror your iPhone or iPad via wifi.

So, for example, if you have a photo album (or any digital content) on your iPad you can show it on your TV wirelessly. But it uses WiFi not bluetooth so you need to have WiFi in the room to do it.

I've been looking into buying one to use in my classroom (I teach HS science) so that I can display the content of my iPad on the the big LCD TV mounted on my wall. The idea is to use the iPad as a smartboard. So I can sit in the back of the room, work out a problem on the iPad, and have the kids see the display on the TV...or hand the iPad to a kid to solve a problem on the iPad while the class observes. Basically a fancy way to call kids up to the board to work out problems.

There are other iPad applications that apparently do the same thing as the Apple TV for cheaper so I'll probably try something else first.

For home use I'm not sure it really does all that much if you already have a blue ray player with internet access as I do.

JCom

Post by JCom » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:25 pm

Having a PC hooked up to your tv is absolutely better. We use ours on a tv that doesn't have a computer hooked up to it so we can stream shows that I have downloaded. If you already have a pc hooked up to your tv then I so no reason to even have an Appletv.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:36 am

I use my Apple TV 2 mainly for streaming music and video from iTunes on the Mac Pro in my bedroom/office to my main audio/video system in the living room. I use it daily for almost all my music-listening because of the convenient interface to iTunes, and have been gradually ripping my large CD collection and some videos into iTunes.

I do very little live streaming over the Internet because my connection is too slow for streaming video except the lowest-resolution YouTube video.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Tallguy

Post by Tallguy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:18 pm

If you have an iPhone you can send Music or Pandora to Apple TV as well via Airplay. Can change songs, fast forward, that sort of thing. If you have a sound system you are set.

ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:19 am

My Dad always took a ton of slide pics of family vacations or moments growing up. On of my favorite things to do was family slide night when he did a slide show of the these pics.

With the apple TV we can stream all of our digital pics straight to our TV. It's like slide night again, but with less hassle.

We also use it for netflix and iTunes move viewing.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.