Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
snyder66
Posts: 1055
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by snyder66 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:39 am

Has anyone had any experience with this service? I'd really like to get some data on my phone, Right now I have a wifi only on Page Plus, Incredible 2. The phone is OK. I just wish I had some options for data. I don't need a lot, but, I would like to avoid a $100 cell bill. Thanks

User avatar
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1381
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Are the available Page Plus plans that include data not to your liking? What plan do you have now? How much data do you think you will need each month?
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

mikep
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by mikep » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:12 pm

PagePlus offers 2GB data with their unlimited talk/text plan for $55/month which might be sufficient.

User avatar
Sunny Sarkar
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Contact:

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:21 pm

My cousin has the $35 plan with unlimited internet on an Android and loves it.

Personally I wouldn't buy a device for $600+ (even indirectly via the 2-yr contract) though. They are nice, but not that nice IMO.
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on, regardless". ― John C. Bogle

centrifuge41
Posts: 1155
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by centrifuge41 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Nope, you can't get an iPhone on Virgin Mobile. Only the phones that are branded as such.
$55 PagePlus plan doesn't make sense, unless you absolutely demand Verizon coverage. You might as well as buy a Straight Talk Sim, AT&T version, pop it into an AT&T iPhone, and get "unlimited" talk/text/data for $45/month. Realistically, that plan lets you use 2GB/month (before they warn you), which is basically as much data as the $55 PagePlus plan offers.

User avatar
JMacDonald
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by JMacDonald » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:42 pm

centrifuge41 wrote:Nope, you can't get an iPhone on Virgin Mobile. Only the phones that are branded as such.

Hi,
I am confused by your post. Here is a link for iPhones on Virgin Mobile: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cel ... s/iphones/
Best Wishes, | Joe

snyder66
Posts: 1055
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by snyder66 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:07 pm

I have considered the page plus plans, but VM for $35 is a good deal. It is a big pill to swallow for a phone. But, I'd rather pay a higher one-time fee than get gouged for $100 each month.

FedGuy
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by FedGuy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:28 pm

I was a Virgin Mobile subscriber until recently. After my old phone more or less stopped working, I seriously considered getting the iPhone, but it seemed like a lot of money and I was wary of locking myself in Apple's walled garden. I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile. The plan is pretty similar to Virgin Mobile's: no contract, $30/month, 100 minutes of voice, unlimited data (throttled after 5 Gb).

The phone is awesome, and I'm thrilled that I stuck with Android. It's a pretty good plan, too. I also love that, as a Nexus phone, it doesn't have all the bloatware from the manufacturer and the carrier.

johnny72
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:35 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by johnny72 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:43 pm

centrifuge41 wrote:Nope, you can't get an iPhone on Virgin Mobile. Only the phones that are branded as such.
$55 PagePlus plan doesn't make sense, unless you absolutely demand Verizon coverage. You might as well as buy a Straight Talk Sim, AT&T version, pop it into an AT&T iPhone, and get "unlimited" talk/text/data for $45/month. Realistically, that plan lets you use 2GB/month (before they warn you), which is basically as much data as the $55 PagePlus plan offers.

Your information is two months old and thus very wrong.

thebogledude
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by thebogledude » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:39 pm

I went with the iphone 4 with Virgin Mobile. I will be activating in the next couple days and will see how it goes. I currently have a mobile subscription with Sprint but a monthly data plan with them would be $100/month. The virgin mobile plan to me was more affordable. You purchase the iphone outright (or any other smartphone that they offer) and have the 300 minute plan with unlimited data for $30/month (monthly automatic payment takes off $5/month) and no contract. Obviously, the longer you keep your smartphone with this plan, the more you will come out ahead in the long run.

User avatar
JMacDonald
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by JMacDonald » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:58 pm

thebogledude wrote:I went with the iphone 4 with Virgin Mobile. I will be activating in the next couple days and will see how it goes. I currently have a mobile subscription with Sprint but a monthly data plan with them would be $100/month. The virgin mobile plan to me was more affordable. You purchase the iphone outright (or any other smartphone that they offer) and have the 300 minute plan with unlimited data for $30/month (monthly automatic payment takes off $5/month) and no contract. Obviously, the longer you keep your smartphone with this plan, the more you will come out ahead in the long run.

Hi,
I am considering going with an iPhone on Virgin Mobile also. Let us know how you like it after you activate the phone. Thanks.
Best Wishes, | Joe

User avatar
fizxman
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by fizxman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:24 pm

JMacDonald wrote:
thebogledude wrote:I went with the iphone 4 with Virgin Mobile. I will be activating in the next couple days and will see how it goes. I currently have a mobile subscription with Sprint but a monthly data plan with them would be $100/month. The virgin mobile plan to me was more affordable. You purchase the iphone outright (or any other smartphone that they offer) and have the 300 minute plan with unlimited data for $30/month (monthly automatic payment takes off $5/month) and no contract. Obviously, the longer you keep your smartphone with this plan, the more you will come out ahead in the long run.

Hi,
I am considering going with an iPhone on Virgin Mobile also. Let us know how you like it after you activate the phone. Thanks.


I'm also looking at going this route after paying $80/month with Verizon. I'm waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out in a month or so to see if the price of the iPhone 4/4S drop. Coworkers of mine use Sprint and seem to like it and since Virgin Mobile uses their network, I figure it wouldn't be bad either. If anyone has any qualms with Virgin Mobile, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

Seabeck
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:29 pm
Location: Washington

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by Seabeck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:39 pm

I just canceled my AT&T dumb phone contract in anticipation of getting the new iPhone on Virgin Mobile in a couple of months. I live and work out of my home in the woods (no signals out here), so I'm primarily interested in VM's low monthly payment. I can't see giving AT&T $70 a month for two days of phone use each week when I'm in town.

I'm using one of their Paylo plans to test their service out until the new iPhone is available.

Here's what I like so far:
- no contract
- clear pricing
- simple, clean, user friendly website

Gustie13
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by Gustie13 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Has anyone tried the StraighTalk plans from Walmart? Looks like it offers the same as the Virgin Mobile plan I'm looking at (for about $45 you get unlimited messaging & web access and virtually unlimited minutes).

User avatar
englishgirl
Posts: 2463
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:34 pm
Location: FL

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by englishgirl » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Wow. I just did the math - that is significantly cheaper over 2 years, which is how long I'd keep a phone anyway. I'm planning on upgrading to the iPhone 5 when it comes out. Depending on if Virgin offers it, I may just have to switch.
Sarah

User avatar
daytona084
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by daytona084 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Just one caution -(as has been mentioned before)... Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network, but includes no roaming. Sprint tower or nothing. Actual Sprint customers, on the other hand, roam to all sorts of other carriers towers if necessary. Bottom line is Virgin Mobile has limited coverage area. I'm a Virgin Mobile customer and the difference is noticeable. Check the coverage maps and compare Sprint's to Virgin Mobile.

Gustie13
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by Gustie13 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Since I already have an iPhone (3, not the newest, but it does the trick) and no contract to worry about I think my best option is going to be:
- Buy the cheapest Straight Talk phone from Wal-mart ($20)
- Do the monthly unlimited Straight Talk plan ($45/month, down from $83 for AT&T).
- Activate the phone and sim card.
- Take the sim card out of the cheap phone and put it in my iPhone.

User avatar
tetractys
Posts: 4587
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:30 pm
Location: Along the Salish Sea

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by tetractys » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm

Virgin might be offering sims in the near future, so one could bring in a phone. Simple Mobile already does this, with the sims costing about $10.

The problem for me is none of these network piggy-backing companies offer tethering. Users do it at the risk of getting kicked off the plan. But that might be changing with the recent judgement that says something like, networks can't disallow 3rd party tethering programs. But really, I'm finding it difficult to understand the whole issue, and so am waiting to see what happens. -- Tet

Gustie13
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by Gustie13 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:32 am

tetractys wrote:Virgin might be offering sims in the near future, so one could bring in a phone. Simple Mobile already does this, with the sims costing about $10.

The problem for me is none of these network piggy-backing companies offer tethering. Users do it at the risk of getting kicked off the plan. But that might be changing with the recent judgement that says something like, networks can't disallow 3rd party tethering programs. But really, I'm finding it difficult to understand the whole issue, and so am waiting to see what happens. -- Tet


Sorry, what is tethering?

This Simple Mobile sounds like a good option (for me at least since I already have an iPhone) as well. Does anyone know how the service is?


EDIT: I spoke too soon. the iPhone isn't supported by Simple http://www.mysimplemobile.com/simple-mo ... roved.aspx

User avatar
linuxuser
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by linuxuser » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:52 am

Tethering is to use your phone as a mobile broadband device generally for a laptop.

User avatar
biquet
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by biquet » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:27 am

I can't confirm this on the Virgin Mobile USA website, but various outlets have claimed Virgin Mobile does allow tethering for $15/month (e.g., http://gizmodo.com/5916536/virgin-mobil ... id-iphones). They're explicitly advertising the HTC Evo V as WiFi-hotspot-capable, but don't say whether the same feature is available for iPhone users.

thebogledude
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by thebogledude » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:53 am

JMacDonald wrote:Hi,
I am considering going with an iPhone on Virgin Mobile also. Let us know how you like it after you activate the phone. Thanks.


Jmac, Fizman, Bogleheads,

Activated.. So far so good, I like it a lot. Haven't tried calling anyone yet, after all it's 1:30AM.
downloading is a bit of a drag but is understandable on a 3G network (probably faster with wi-fi), overall I'm happy with my decision.
Siri is fun.

A couple of points:
1. I bought the iphone 4S with virgin mobile plan at Best Buy and they can activated on the spot.
2. Put the purchase on their Rewards Program and got some BBY credit.
3. Did not buy virgin mobile or best buy insurance. I'll risk it, living life on the edge.
4. Highly recommend going with 4S for $100 more even though you're already paying a premium for something that came out in 2007.
The main difference between 4 and 4S: 4S has dual chip for multi-task, higher MP camera, and antenna with intelligent switch.
ios6 will lose some features on 4.
5. Also got some screen protection and case.
I plan on keeping the phone for two years which is the benchmark in comparing costs with the other carriers and there's some good articles out there.

snyder66
Posts: 1055
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by snyder66 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:12 am

What was your total cost, thebogledude?

User avatar
JMacDonald
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by JMacDonald » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:51 am

thebogledude wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:Hi,
I am considering going with an iPhone on Virgin Mobile also. Let us know how you like it after you activate the phone. Thanks.


Jmac, Fizman, Bogleheads,

Activated.. So far so good, I like it a lot. Haven't tried calling anyone yet, after all it's 1:30AM.
downloading is a bit of a drag but is understandable on a 3G network (probably faster with wi-fi), overall I'm happy with my decision.
Siri is fun.

A couple of points:
1. I bought the iphone 4S with virgin mobile plan at Best Buy and they can activated on the spot.
2. Put the purchase on their Rewards Program and got some BBY credit.
3. Did not buy virgin mobile or best buy insurance. I'll risk it, living life on the edge.
4. Highly recommend going with 4S for $100 more even though you're already paying a premium for something that came out in 2007.
The main difference between 4 and 4S: 4S has dual chip for multi-task, higher MP camera, and antenna with intelligent switch.
ios6 will lose some features on 4.
5. Also got some screen protection and case.
I plan on keeping the phone for two years which is the benchmark in comparing costs with the other carriers and there's some good articles out there.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Buying it from Best Buy sounds like a plan. I like the fact that they can activate the phone.
They could probably use the business. :D
Best Wishes, | Joe

natureexplorer
Posts: 4191
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:52 am
Location: Houston

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by natureexplorer » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:04 am

Why not buy an AT&T-locked or unlocked GSM iPhone and stick in a StraightTalk AT&T-based sim card for $45 a month unlimited everything? Seems "straight" forward to me.

Norris
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:04 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by Norris » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:35 am

wjwhitney wrote:Just one caution -(as has been mentioned before)... Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network, but includes no roaming. Sprint tower or nothing. Actual Sprint customers, on the other hand, roam to all sorts of other carriers towers if necessary. Bottom line is Virgin Mobile has limited coverage area. I'm a Virgin Mobile customer and the difference is noticeable. Check the coverage maps and compare Sprint's to Virgin Mobile.


I can confirm that several areas in Michigan, including some in the thumb and upper peninsula, have no coverage with Virgin Mobile.

Norris
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

User avatar
aja8888
Posts: 484
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:28 pm
Location: The Woodlands, Texas

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by aja8888 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:14 am

natureexplorer wrote:Why not buy an AT&T-locked or unlocked GSM iPhone and stick in a StraightTalk AT&T-based sim card for $45 a month unlimited everything? Seems "straight" forward to me.


This is what we plan to do with the wife's I-Phone phone when it is out of contract. I just recently bought a used Driod Pro and activated it on PagePlus with the $12 plan (will go to the $29.95 plan later).

User avatar
JMacDonald
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by JMacDonald » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:09 am

Hi,
It seems that the iPhone is being discounted. That makes it a good reason to wait for the new iPhone to see what the price will be on the phones then: http://www.latimes.com/business/technol ... ?track=rss
Best Wishes, | Joe

thebogledude
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by thebogledude » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:18 am

snyder66 wrote:What was your total cost, thebogledude?

Snyder,

Total cost ~750 + 30(recurring monthly subscription) + tax.

thebogledude
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by thebogledude » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:25 am

natureexplorer wrote:Why not buy an AT&T-locked or unlocked GSM iPhone and stick in a StraightTalk AT&T-based sim card for $45 a month unlimited everything? Seems "straight" forward to me.

Not sure about the specifics of your plan but does it beat the 300 minutes + unlimited data with Virgin Mobile for $30. The unlimited data is what appealed to me.

User avatar
linuxuser
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by linuxuser » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:26 pm

thebogledude wrote:
natureexplorer wrote:Why not buy an AT&T-locked or unlocked GSM iPhone and stick in a StraightTalk AT&T-based sim card for $45 a month unlimited everything? Seems "straight" forward to me.

Not sure about the specifics of your plan but does it beat the 300 minutes + unlimited data with Virgin Mobile for $30. The unlimited data is what appealed to me.

Easy enough to have looked up yourself. https://www.straighttalk.com/secure/ServicePlans
Whether something is truly "unlimited" is another thing.

thebogledude
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by thebogledude » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:59 pm

linuxuser wrote:Easy enough to have looked up yourself. https://www.straighttalk.com/secure/ServicePlans
Whether something is truly "unlimited" is another thing.

Thanks for the link linux. It seems like a competitive plan. I never heard of it before otherwise I would have considered it. I am a loyal Sprint customer so the concept of SIM cards are new to me but I was priced out of their data plans so VirginMobile's was the next best thing. My only concern is if I go over my alotted minutes it's 10cents/minute. That just means I'll keep any eye on my usage.

User avatar
linuxuser
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by linuxuser » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:15 pm

If you are happy with Sprint then it might make sense to stick with them.
I have T-mobile and Verizon pre-paid plans.
At home, the Verizon signal is strong, but the T-mobile is just so-so.

rapscallion
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by rapscallion » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Gustie13 wrote:Since I already have an iPhone (3, not the newest, but it does the trick) and no contract to worry about I think my best option is going to be:
- Buy the cheapest Straight Talk phone from Wal-mart ($20)
- Do the monthly unlimited Straight Talk plan ($45/month, down from $83 for AT&T).
- Activate the phone and sim card.
- Take the sim card out of the cheap phone and put it in my iPhone.

I don't think the data will work if you do that. Why not just buy a SIM from ST?

http://www.straighttalksim.com/

Rap

User avatar
OnFire
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by OnFire » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:17 am

Now that the iPhone 5 is out, has anyone gone the IPhone 5/Virgin Mobile Unlimited plan, and do you like it? I am. In Chicago and wondering about coverage and 4G LTE coverage. I am trying to get away from my $230 a month AT&T cell phone bill and my $130 a month WOW! Cable bill.
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein

User avatar
englishgirl
Posts: 2463
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:34 pm
Location: FL

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by englishgirl » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:25 am

As far as I know (and I've been checking every few days), the iPhone 5 is not available for Virgin Mobile in the US yet. Rumors are that it won't be long.

Anyway, most of us are probably still waiting, so don't expect much news on performance.
Sarah

User avatar
Dan-Fl
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:06 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by Dan-Fl » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:53 am

My problem with virgin mobile is their coverage. I have nearly none at my home and a few other places, so it is not an option for me. Does anyone know which towers VM uses?
At my home I have reasonable coverage with Verizon and AT&T.

User avatar
fizxman
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by fizxman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:08 am

englishgirl wrote:As far as I know (and I've been checking every few days), the iPhone 5 is not available for Virgin Mobile in the US yet. Rumors are that it won't be long.

Anyway, most of us are probably still waiting, so don't expect much news on performance.


I'm getting tired of waiting. I was hoping the price on VM for the 4/4S would drop when the 5 came out but it didn't. If the 5 comes out on VM soon, then I would imagine the price for the 4/4S would drop but I don't know how much. Maybe $100? I may just get the HTC Evo V. It has good reviews and is on sale for about $240. It's also 4G and has an HDMI out which I like; just hook the phone up to a computer or TV.
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cel ... /features/

Dan-Fl wrote:My problem with virgin mobile is their coverage. I have nearly none at my home and a few other places, so it is not an option for me. Does anyone know which towers VM uses?
At my home I have reasonable coverage with Verizon and AT&T.


VM uses the Sprint network. But what I didn't know is that it ONLY uses the Sprint network, no roaming on other towers and that scares me. I would have good coverage at home and at work but I don't want to be out somewhere and not be able to use my phone.

User avatar
OnFire
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by OnFire » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:17 pm

My phone bill, grandfathered in to AT&T 2 accounts for unlimited everything, is $234 a month. Something's gotta give. No one's tried Virgin Mobile for smart phones? The website shows a seal that says it has the J.D. Power highest customers satisfaction among non-contract phone carriers. I'm wiling to try it if it saves me $165 a month. But I'd like to get some feedback before I take the plunge.
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein

2wolves
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:57 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by 2wolves » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:35 pm

OnFire wrote:My phone bill, grandfathered in to AT&T 2 accounts for unlimited everything, is $234 a month. Something's gotta give. No one's tried Virgin Mobile for smart phones? The website shows a seal that says it has the J.D. Power highest customers satisfaction among non-contract phone carriers. I'm wiling to try it if it saves me $165 a month. But I'd like to get some feedback before I take the plunge.


You can also get two lines with unlimited everything on T-mobile for $120 a month. T-mobile's HSPA+ data network is really fast. They are also adding LTE to most major cities. But it probably comes down to coverage. That varies by block, so it's tough to say what will work best for any individual. You just need to ask friends on other networks how their reception is when you are at places you usually hang out (home, office, downtown, whatever...)

thebogledude
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:40 am

Re: Iphone on Virgin Mobile??

Post by thebogledude » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:36 pm

OnFire wrote:My phone bill, grandfathered in to AT&T 2 accounts for unlimited everything, is $234 a month. Something's gotta give. No one's tried Virgin Mobile for smart phones? The website shows a seal that says it has the J.D. Power highest customers satisfaction among non-contract phone carriers. I'm wiling to try it if it saves me $165 a month. But I'd like to get some feedback before I take the plunge.


You should be able to save more than that (with the unlimited data in the plan). I've been on it since end of Aug. with an off-contract smartphone purchase (iphone). So far no major issues (there's a known dead zone in my house), I've been able to get VM support without waiting, no major reception issues (I don't travel outside of a major cell area) . I've been keeping my sprint carrier (dumb phone) and plan to drop it in the next six months, I haven't found a compelling reason to keep it.

Post Reply