Hardiboard vs. Composite Siding

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TRC

Hardiboard vs. Composite Siding

Post by TRC » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm in the process of residing my house. It currently has vinyl that's about 12 years old. Faded, cracking, not that appealing visually.

We want to reside and Hardiboard seems to be the latest and greatest. It's pricy, but I like the fact that it's sturdier, won't break, looks nicer, and is solid against the house so that pests & other critters can't get behind it. What concerns me (a little) is that it seems as though it "can potentially" absorb some water at the cut joints if it's not sealed properly with paint. It will aslo require painting every once in a while as well and I've seen some pretty bad pictures online of joints expanding and requiring caulking.

Today I came across a product called everlast composite siding http://everlastsidingnewengland.com. It seems to have all the selling points of Hardiplank, with the additional benefits of no fading / repainting needed, less expansion / contraction, and it's totally impervious to water. I have a rep coming to my house Friday to bid the job.

Thoughts on either? Other products to consider? FYI - I live in New England.

edge

Re: Hardiboard vs. Composite Siding

Post by edge » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:26 pm

No experience with this. Have you considered brick?

TRC

Post by TRC » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:40 pm

edge wrote:No experience with this. Have you considered brick?
I have not, though it does sound appealing. Where I live Brick houses are VERY rare. Not sure why, but it's just not that common in the North East...especially for newer contructions.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:59 pm

Retrofitting brick to a house with vinyl siding would be a nightmare. The details in getting brick right are quite specific and I suspect not feasible for the OPs situation.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:22 pm

Hardiboard is absolutely bullet proof.

It's the best stuff since engineered joists.

chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."

TT

Post by TT » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:01 am

I also live in New England and am in the process of replacing vinyl siding
After speaking with multiple carpenters and looking at existing houses with it I decided against Hardi board and went with pre primed hemlock. The best review I got was just OK and some stated it did not do well with the moisture in NE. I have seen 2 houses that have been sided in past 10 years with joint issues and surface peeling . Only advantage I can see is it is non flammable and can be ordered pre painted.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:45 am

I haven't found hardiboard in longer than 12ft sections. From looking at existing houses, seams appear to be the primary weakness. I'm not sure why they don't make it in longer sections - I asked the company and got no reply. We have some cheap composite boards, and some brick. Brick is superior (if properly installed), but we get only minimal amounts of snow/ice here - not sure if it would be different in the northeast.

Paul

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:33 am

I don't know for certain, but I suspect the length is limited to 12' because of their expansion/contraction combined with the butt joints, and the fact that the boards don't have much flexural strength, making them prone to breakage if handled improperly. The butt joints should not be caulked; they should be flashed, any cuts need to be primed/painted. It's good stuff if it's installed correctly. I've seen a lot of poor install jobs and sawcut joints that were caulked and not primed, which caused swelling.

Ne'er-do-well

Post by Ne'er-do-well » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:35 am

Have you considered WeatherSide fiber-cement siding manufactured by GAF?

http://www.gaf.com/other-building-produ ... iding.aspx

Padlin

Post by Padlin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:59 pm

I would take the "won't fade" composite with a grain of salt, if it's in the sun it's going to fade. See if you can get a lifetime warantee against fading or chalking.
Regards | Bob

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:45 pm

fishnskiguy wrote:Hardiboard is absolutely bullet proof.

chris
+1
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

ugakbk

Post by ugakbk » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:35 am

Frugal Al wrote:I don't know for certain, but I suspect the length is limited to 12' because of their expansion/contraction combined with the butt joints, and the fact that the boards don't have much flexural strength, making them prone to breakage if handled improperly. The butt joints should not be caulked; they should be flashed, any cuts need to be primed/painted. It's good stuff if it's installed correctly. I've seen a lot of poor install jobs and sawcut joints that were caulked and not primed, which caused swelling.

Have worked with Hardi before, and I absolutlely love it as far as looks, toughness, etc.

Al is right on for the reason for the length, if it was any longer it would break from handling more than it already does.

I love it, and if I ever reside a house, it will be with Hardi.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:46 am

Anyone who cuts Hardiplank with a saw is asking for trouble. Incredible amount of cement dust which is no good for anyone. A power shear is the way to go. Agree on the length restriction as its strength/bendability is similar to Azek. I picked up a 12 ft length of that yesterday and its like picking up wet spaghetti. I was to pick up an 18 ft length as well but decided to have it delivered instead.

mephistophles

Post by mephistophles » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:29 am

We have a hardiboard shed. It never needs painting, just wash occasionally. Our house is brick, but we looked at hardiboard houses and that's what I would buy 2nd only to brick.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:03 am

How about stucco? Real three coat stucco not synthetic or efs, no painting, no rotting, will last the lifetime of the house if installed correctly.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:59 am

Have vinyl on my little wood shop, masonite on my home, hardiboard on my shop/part of home.

When I built my gargae 15 years ago I did vinyl with plans to change the house to vinyl, could not stand vinyl, never plan on using it again. Changed my shop to hardiboard a year after I built an addition on our home 4-5 years ago where I used hardiboard on the addition.

Here is my take on it, the hardiboard is great stuff that does not rot and holds paint well, if I was starting over and not matching existing colors of other structures I would use a stain and not paint on the hardiboard, thay claim a stain will last longer.

The one issue I do not like with hardiboard is how brittle it is, is does crack easy as comparied to the masonite. Masonite does not get much love but to be honest I have no problem with it, my masonite is over 20 years old as is doing just fine.

I prefer aluminum soffits and trim that you don't paint and masonite and or a narrow hardiboard on a rambler that I can paint with a 6' step latter.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:02 pm

SimonJester wrote:How about stucco? Real three coat stucco not synthetic or efs, no painting, no rotting, will last the lifetime of the house if installed correctly.

Can you still find somebody with good elbows that can put on real stucco :happy
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein

dianna

Post by dianna » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:24 pm

CaliJim wrote:
fishnskiguy wrote:Hardiboard is absolutely bullet proof.

chris
+1
+2. We replaced redwood siding with Hardiboard about 7 years ago - it's heavy stuff, that's for sure! Bought pre-primed, and then painted it in our garage before installation. Haven't needed to touch it yet, and don't anticipate we'll have to anytime soon. No fading. No cracks. No problems with expansion/contraction despite living in a part of the US that sees >100-degree temperature swings throughout the year. It has survived 2 terrible hail storms that decimated the roof of the flat-roofed house to the south of us and the cedar shakes and wood siding on the house to the north of us. Not a single dent in the Hardiboard.

JPH

Post by JPH » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:34 pm

The Masonite siding on my house was rotting off. I hired a builder/remodeler to replace it with Hardiboard. I chose them because they were the only installer (according to their website) with Hardi-certified “silver medal” training. I knew that a good result depends on proper installation. They told me that everyone in their crew, including the sales staff, had been through this training, and all had actually put siding on a house under Hardi supervision. After they started the work, I went to the Hardi website and downloaded their installation instructions. There were several things they seemed to be doing wrong, and I repeatedly pointed these out to the crew foreman and project manager, but they fought me every step of the way. For instance, the Hardi manual says to use only factory finished seams at joints. When the job was complete, an independent Hardi-certified inspector came out and passed the job. I walked around the house with her and watched as she checked every single nail to be sure it was properly placed. I asked her about the deviations from the manual, and she agreed with me, but said it was all okay, in in most instances would give a better appearance. But she also admitted that the warranty might not cover a few pieces of material that were too close to the patio surface. It’s been 5 years and the house still looks great, and I have no complaints so far. But if I was starting over, I would do my homework before the work began and discuss all those things before signing the contract.

Edited to add: You can save a lot of money if you do not replace the soffits with Hardiboard. These are not exposed to the elements and usually are well preserved. We just had them sealed and painted.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:51 pm

We have Hardiplank on our 12 year old house. It was installed primed and painted on-site. We re-painted this year. The cedar trim around the windows and the soffits needed the painting. The siding looked fine - no pealing, cracking, etc. The south side exposed to the sun was a bit more faded than the north side, but you couldn't tell with out a specific comparison to look for it. Our windows (aluminum) faded much more than the siding. The only reason we painted the siding was we wanted a total color change. Otherwise we could have just painted the trim and been done. We like our Hardiplank.

- L

DanielBrown

Post by DanielBrown » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:35 am

If you’re looking for a reasonably priced option with a lifetime warranty on siding and installation, get a quote from Champion Windows, if there’s one in your area. They manufacture their own products so you’ll get direct factory savings. I’d go with vinyl siding because it’s more durable and easier to maintain. It comes in a variety of colors and it doesn’t need to be painted periodically. A good windlock system can hold up against winds that are up to 200 mph. With an energy efficient underlayment for insulation, air infiltration, conduction and radiation you’d reduce heat loss by up to 30 percent. Nowadays, you can get vinyl siding that looks just look wood, but it’s a lot cheaper and easier to maintain.

Find out more

Shireman28

Post by Shireman28 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:33 am

Prefinished hardiboard didn't work well for me.

The house has major concrete sprawling issues 5 years after installation.

My lumber yard is now pushing Louisiana Pacific siding as a better option with a 30-year warranty.

--Jeff

Shireman28

Post by Shireman28 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:35 am

Hardiboard doesn't work well in soffits, either. Would recommend aluminum.