Quotable Quotes from Bogleheads

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
InvestoGuy

Quotable Quotes from Bogleheads

Post by InvestoGuy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:02 pm

[Edited to add Nisiprius's quote. My apologies, how could I forget one of the most prolific posters].
Folks:
Over the past few months I have collected some interesting signature quotes from our forums. Below is my collection. Please feel free to add to it (if it is part of a Boglehead signature).
Thanks.

The poor long for riches. The rich long for heaven. But the wise desire tranquility
The Majesty of Simplicity
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income.
Simplicity is the mark of genius.
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." | | Albert Einstein
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
You can only convince people who think they can benefit from being convinced."- Taleb
Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein |
Whenever things sound easy it turns out there's one part you didn't hear -- John Dortmunder
The outer conditions of life will never be perfect until the inner life in perfect. The effect cannot precede the cause."
"True greatness comes not through mastery of others but of oneself - not through domination of others' hearts but through purification of one's own."
"We are as strong as our weakest link."
“If the past, by bringing surprises, did not resemble the past previous to it (past's past), then why should our future resemble our current past?” | ― Nassim Taleb, Fooled by Randomness
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Last edited by InvestoGuy on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xerty24

Re: Quotable Quotes from Bogleheads

Post by xerty24 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:11 pm

"no excuses, no regrets"
No excuses, no regrets.

jared

Post by jared » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:21 pm

bogleheads.org - The Siri of Finance: for when you can't be bothered to look something up.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:31 pm

See mine below.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks for noticing. :)
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Look at mine below.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page