Visiting Louisville KY area

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rkh1947

Visiting Louisville KY area

Post by rkh1947 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:06 pm

We will be visiting the Louisville KY area in mid August for a family event. We plan on seeing the Smoky Mountains, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, etc, while we're there. Does anyone have any other sightseeing suggestions for that area?
Thanks

JDCPAEsq

Re: Visiting Louisville KY area

Post by JDCPAEsq » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Where will you be - Louisville or Gatlinburg? They're about 300 miles apart. Will you be passing through one area to get to the other?
John

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:03 pm

rkh1947 wrote:We will be visiting the Louisville KY area in mid August for a family event. We plan on seeing the Smoky Mountains, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, etc, while we're there. Does anyone have any other sightseeing suggestions for that area?
Thanks
Louisville is not a small city, LOTS to do there, but for getting away I'd recommend driving east on I-64 to Lexington and Central Kentucky just an hour away. I'm biased, of course, since I live here but most all folks who visit here find it to be positively remarkable. If you like horses or bourbon or great local dining or "Sunday driving" the rural roads lined with stately fences farms trees etc then you'll enjoy the Lexington area. Scenery abounds. Frankfort, the state capital, is known for being one of the more picturesque capital cities. Midway is another town that folks seem to really enjoy. Bardstown gained recent recognition for being America's best smalltown, lots to do and see there as well. For real kicks, set your sights on Red River Gorge, in Eastern Kentucky - lots of spectacular outdoor recreation to be had there.

I agree that trying to visit the Smokies and such is a stretch, but if you're convinced of it I think there's plenty in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge to keep a family occupied for several solid days. If you're going to those lengths, why not also drive across the border in to the North Carolina mountains?

Otherwise, in Kentucky, Louisville is chockful, Lexington's a logical addendum, and then I've heard good things about Richmond Indiana, just up the Ohio River from Louisville, and I can almost always recommend checking out the Cincinnati goings ons.

Good luck with your research and safe travels!

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:55 pm

I recommend my hometown, Bardstown, about 45 minutes away. Beautiful downtown. Plenty of historical sites. Excellent Civil War Museum. Whiskey Museum. Tours available at three distilleries: Jim Beam, Heaven Hill, and Makers Mark. Old Kentucky Dinner Train. My Old Kentucky Home (obviously). Stephen Foster Story is a very good outdoor musical featuring many of Stephen Foster's songs. Many sights of Catholic interest.

Bardstown won the "Most Beautiful" small town in USA Today's Best of the Road contest:
http://www.bestoftheroad.com/town.do?destinationId=6234

Shireman28

Post by Shireman28 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:59 am

A lot of great caves in the area, Mammoth Cave and Marengo Cave come to mind.

The Kentucky Bourbon Trail is cool.

Lots of Museums in downtown Louisville on Main St.

Churchill Downs is a must see if they are racing.

Oddlot

Post by Oddlot » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:16 am

• - Louisville Slugger plant tour (downtown L'ville).
    - Churchill Downs, even if not racing.
    - Second the Bourbon Trail tour.
    - Kentucky Horse Park, near Lexington for personal tour of horse farms in Lexington area.
    - Toyota assembly plant, Georgetown.