Fedex failed to deliver a package

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
carolinaman

Fedex failed to deliver a package

Post by carolinaman »

Fedex claimed they delivered a package to my address today but we never got it. I opened a case with them and they say it will take 1 to 2 business days to investigate. I am not clear on what happens after that ​if they cannot find the package.

This is the first time I have ever had this problem with any of the delivery services.

I need the package contents (books) by the end of next week and may need to order again before this gets sorted out.

Any advice from those who have experienced this?

Thanks
livesoft

Re: Fedex failed to deliver a package

Post by livesoft »

Likely delivered to the wrong address. Maybe you are young and this hasn't happened to you before, but it is not uncommon. If the people who got it are nice, then they might tell Fedex and you will get your books soon.

I once received an amazon photo of my package on someone else's porch. I got the package a couple days later. I once received a neighbor's package, but was able to call out to the delivery person placing my package on the neighbor's porch. They knew exactly why I was shouting at them.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

carolinaman wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:24 pm Fedex claimed they delivered a package to my address today but we never got it. I opened a case with them and they say it will take 1 to 2 business days to investigate. I am not clear on what happens after that ​if they cannot find the package.

This is the first time I have ever had this problem with any of the delivery services.

I need the package contents (books) by the end of next week and may need to order again before this gets sorted out.

Thanks
This happens frequently with me, although not as often with Fedex as other carriers. It would help if the drivers photographed the drop-off point, because almost always the package is dropped on the wrong street or house. At least you can recognize the drop site as not your house. I've occasionally found packages by looking at porches around the neighborhood but usually someone at the house it's delivered to brings me the package after a day or two or three.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Immediately contact the merchant who sold you the books, and the credit card company. You are much more likely to get effective help from them than from the delivery service.

My experiences with getting delivery services to acknowledge or make good on delivery problems has been uniformly bad. They don't admit fault, they stall, and they play hardball. I would say that FedEx has been slightly worse than the rest. On one memorable occasion they insisted they had delivered a $4,000 computer to the correct address--a university five miles across town, no similarity in street name or number--even though Apple's paperwork showed our address, the printed label on the package showed our address, FedEx's signature image did not show the name of anybody at our facility--and the only way we found our computer was because the university's receiving department was sharp-eyed enough to notice the label and phone us.

On another occasion--I think it was UPS that time--they refused to acknowledge a delivery problem because they had "a signature." The fact that the signature was almost illegible and not that of the recipient didn't seem to matter. In this case, the merchant was L. L. Bean and I had hardly finished explaining the problem when they said "Oh, that's too bad, we'll send another one right out at no cost to you."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
goingup

Post by goingup »

My experience with FedX is that sometimes they say they have delivered something but haven’t. I suspect the drivers are under pressure to make delivery quotas and fudge sometimes. Give it another day or 2.

I don’t have bad delivery experiences with UPS or USPS, only FedX.
Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:33 pm
carolinaman wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:24 pm Fedex claimed they delivered a package to my address today but we never got it. I opened a case with them and they say it will take 1 to 2 business days to investigate. I am not clear on what happens after that ​if they cannot find the package.

Thanks
This happens frequently with me, although not as often with Fedex as other carriers. It would help if the drivers photographed the drop-off point, because almost always the package is dropped on the wrong street or house. At least you can recognize the drop site as not your house. I've occasionally found packages by looking at porches around the neighborhood but usually someone at the house it's delivered to brings me the package after a day or two or three.
I drove around the nearby houses to see if there was a package to no avail. It could be anywhere and the way some people are today if they received it in error they may not report it. They are Christian books, so if someone decides to keep the books it may do them some good.
Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:34 pm Immediately contact the merchant who sold you the books, and the credit card company. You are much more likely to get effective help from them than from the delivery service.

My experiences with getting delivery services to acknowledge or make good on delivery problems has been uniformly bad. They don't admit fault, they stall, and they play hardball. I would say that FedEx has been slightly worse than the rest. On one memorable occasion they insisted they had delivered a $4,000 computer to the correct address--a university five miles across town, no similarity in street name or number--even though Apple's paperwork showed our address, the printed label on the package showed our address, FedEx's signature image did not show the name of anybody at our facility--and the only way we found our computer was because the university's receiving department was sharp-eyed enough to notice the label and phone us.

On another occasion--I think it was UPS that time--they refused to acknowledge a delivery problem because they had "a signature." The fact that the signature was almost illegible and not that of the recipient didn't seem to matter. In this case, the merchant was L. L. Bean and I had hardly finished explaining the problem when they said "Oh, that's too bad, we'll send another one right out at no cost to you."
Thanks. I did and they were very gracious. I am sure I will get a refund if books do not show up but will wait until Monday before doing anything.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

carolinaman wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:10 pm

Thanks
I drove around the nearby houses to see if there was a package to no avail. It could be anywhere and the way some people are today if they received it in error they may not report it. They are Christian books, so if someone decides to keep the books it may do them some good.
With my luck the last time this happened the recipient was one of the few people here to have a delivery box on their porch marked for Fedex and UPS, so the only way to see the package would have been to open it up - which definitely didn't seem like a good idea.
sport

Post by sport »

I get monthly delivery of expensive temperature sensitive medicines via Fedex. So far, I have not had a problem. It could be very bad of they misdelivered the package, especially in hot weather.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:27 pm
carolinaman wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:10 pm

Thanks
With my luck the last time this happened the recipient was one of the few people here to have a delivery box on their porch marked for Fedex and UPS, so the only way to see the package would have been to open it up - which definitely didn't seem like a good idea.
UPS mis-delivered something to my front porch this week. It was for my next door neighbors. I walked over and gave it to them. It happens a couple of times a year (FedEx, UPS, Amazon).
socaldude

Post by socaldude »

FedEx customer service is not great. I was missing a $350 pkg. ( I got 2 of 3 and I think the driver "lost" the 3rd pkg.) After getting nowhere with Menard's (the seller) I was told by FedEx cust. service that after 7 days it is no longer their problem and I would have to deal with the manufacturer. I had to call my cc company to get a credit. FedEx sucks.
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

Fed Ex is the worst of the worst. I will not knowingly buy anything delivered by Fed Ex. They consistently deliver to the wrong address in my condo project. My neighbor stopped telling me of the wrong delivery to his house instead of my house, instead he contacts Fed Ex and tells them they delivered the package to the wrong address and they should figure it out. Another neighbor's deck faces the street, Fed Ex dumps packages on his deck. He has posted a sign on his deck, "Fed Ex" this is the wrong address. He stopped the Fed Ex driver delivering a package to his deck and threw the package in front of the drivers truck telling him it is the wrong address. The driver flashed his cell phone, said it is the right GPS and backed his truck up and drove around the package. Our condo management company has sent a letter to all residents advising them to avoid Fed Ex deliveries, in our project they deliver to GPS locations not addresses.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

This happens all the time with all the carrier's, so not FedEx specific. Unfortunately, the frequency of these non-deliveries, seems to be increasing over the past 18 months or so. I am sure all the delivery workers are under pressure to meet delivery quotas and/or timing goals. Many are overworked and probably underpaid, with long hours, making it a very difficult job. At least monthly with Amazon delivery, I get notice of package being "hand delivered" to resident with no accompanying photo, and no package on the porch. It usually shows up next day on porch or stuffed into sidewalk mailbox. USPS like clockwork will mark a package as delivered, and nothing can be found. Again, it usually shows up day or two later either by USPS carrier, or hand delivery from kind neighbor who received it. Ugh! :oops: I usually wait a day or so before sounding the alarm with retailer or delivery service. If product was expensive such as new electronics/computer or mail order Rx, then I would be immediately on the phone with the retailer and let them know of the non-delivery. They chose the delivery method, so I feel it's their issue.
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

sport wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:35 pm I get monthly delivery of expensive temperature sensitive medicines via Fedex. So far, I have not had a problem. It could be very bad of they misdelivered the package, especially in hot weather.
I receive a 3 month supply of a very expensive medication like $36,000 from an online pharmacy. They always start the conversation it will be delivered by either Fed Ex or UPS. I tell them cancel the order if you cannot guarantee the meds will not be delivered by Fed EX. They respond by saying we will put in a request. I then tell then cancel the order, let me speak to your manager. I then talk to the manager, get their name and assurance it will be delivered by UPS with signature required. In the future I am working on picking the meds up from a UPS station. The manager also noted that there are frequent requests from patients have concerns regarding Fed Ex Deliveries.
Last edited by bstevlin on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

Fedex does this to me almost every week.
riverant

Post by riverant »

This happens more often than not with fedex for me. They are by far the worst shipping service, not to mention they insist on backing down my steep driveway for even the smallest delivery, which just irks me

Anyways, their technology is so bad (or their drivers are lying to hit quotas) that I often get the package over the next couple days. Worst delay was receiving the package a month later, after the retailer issued me a refund.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:34 pm Immediately contact the merchant who sold you the books, and the credit card company. You are much more likely to get effective help from them than from the delivery service.
Agreed.
My experiences with getting delivery services to acknowledge or make good on delivery problems has been uniformly bad. They don't admit fault, they stall, and they play hardball. I would say that FedEx has been slightly worse than the rest.
I ordered an expensive laptop, had it delivered to my son. It was supposed to be "proof of delivery required", but Dell forgot to do that. I got an email from Fedex saying the package was delivered, but it was not on my son's doorstep and his neighbor's porchcam showed no Fedex truck at the delivery time and no package. I felt that the laptop had been stolen, and Fedex could easily find it by retrieving the GPS coordinates of where the driver punched "delivered". No luck with contacting FedEx, just "We'll look into it," then nothing. Dell over-nighted a replacement which did arrive safely, so I didn't feel I had lost anything, so didn't contact law enforcement. I've never had this happen with any other delivery service, so I can't say if FedEx is worse in the stonewalling department. I do think that Amazon and UPS are far ahead in terms of technology. In theory, if a driver delivers a package to the wrong address, the GPS in the device used should note the discrepancy, and also note if the driver over-rides it.

Doing a little research, I found that Dell uses FedEx to delivery millions of computers. I can see why they would just as soon send another when one goes missing, but I still think FedEx would want to know if one of their drivers was not just incompetent but criminal.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

TJat wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:34 pm This happens more often than not with fedex for me. They are by far the worst shipping service, not to mention they insist on backing down my steep driveway for even the smallest delivery, which just irks me
I have the same problem with both Amazon and Fedex, frequently running over signs and putting huge ruts in the lawn. Interestingly, my neighbor works for UPS, and he says their drivers are not supposed to drive up driveways. Too much chance of damage for too little benefit.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I live in a high rise building in a major city. Many of our packages get delivered to the building across the street or to the building next door. Fortunately the concierge staff at these buildings all talk to one another and the packages ultimately end up at the correct building.
Chip

Post by Chip »

As a result of trying to resolve poor delivery from Fedex I have learned that Fedex Ground is essentially a separate company from "regular" Fedex. In my area they operate out of separate distribution centers, 12 miles apart. Regular Fedex uses the Fedex-badged local delivery trucks we have all seen, driven by Fedex employees. Fedex Ground uses contractors for local delivery who may be driving anything from a Ryder truck to an unmarked panel van.

My particular complaint with Fedex Ground was that they were repeatedly dumping packages in the bushes under my mailbox and claiming they were "left on front porch". My front porch is 400 feet from my mailbox.

I agree with nisiprius's suggestion to complain to the shipper.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Chip wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:33 am ...As a result of trying to resolve poor delivery from Fedex I have learned that Fedex Ground is essentially a separate company from "regular" Fedex...
Fedex Ground = rebadged and acquired RPS, Roadway Package System.

I have to say that the amazing and seemingly reassuring detail of the FedEx tracking online seems like pure theatre--they seem to know exactly where a package is every second before it is delivered--yet when it is not delivered, suddenly, they cannot tell you where it is.

When Amazon's own Amazon Prime trucks deliver something, you get an emailed image of the package and its surroundings. Ditto InstaCart grocery deliveries. I wonder why FedEx/UPS/USPS don't do that?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

My FedEx suks story:

This past December, sending (monetary) gifts to family. “Regular” was guaranteed by Christmas Eve. Paid $11 more to move that guaranteed date up by 2 days to make absolutely sure.

Package was ultimately delivered to family 2 days after Christmas. FedEx wouldn’t even refund the $11 extra, saying it was Covid related.

Mind you, this is 9 months into the pandemic. 5 days earlier, 9 months into dealing with Covid, they are taking my money guaranteeing delivery.

Vowed to never use them again.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

For several years, our FedEx packages (especially Costco flowers) were routinely delivered to another nearby house on a different street. When I got an email from Costco they'd been delivered and our porch was empty, I headed there. We got to know the people who lived in that other house.

I called FedEx numerous times and they didn't care.

Marylander1
Chip

Post by Chip »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:14 am Fedex Ground = rebadged and acquired RPS, Roadway Package System.

I have to say that the amazing and seemingly reassuring detail of the FedEx tracking online seems like pure theatre--they seem to know exactly where a package is every second before it is delivered--yet when it is not delivered, suddenly, they cannot tell you where it is.

When Amazon's own Amazon Prime trucks deliver something, you get an emailed image of the package and its surroundings. Ditto InstaCart grocery deliveries. I wonder why FedEx/UPS/USPS don't do that?
Maybe because there would be incontrovertible evidence of the misdeliveries? :twisted:

On a more serious note, Amazon has my email address (and I assume yours). Fedex doesn't. At least not mine.

I went at the complaint process pretty hard. I repeatedly made my disgust with the dishonesty of the delivery person known to the Fedex 800 number complaint process. After a few times without any change I began requesting a callback from the actual distribution center responsible for getting my packages to me. I eventually got such a callback and was assured the particular driver had "been counseled". That was cold comfort, but I did get a callback number for the distribution center. Now I can call directly and complain if needed. :D

I guess it shouldn't be surprising but the next package wasn't delivered at all. :annoyed I got a refund from the shipper.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

On two, prior occasions, not necessarily with FD.X, this happened. Was delivered to wrong house and brought over within a day or so.
There has been one occasion where the "last mile" of the primary company was through the Post Office, and the delivery was either delayed or never received. When called, the company from which the item was purchased, checked and immediately sent a new item, also saying to keep the other if it arrived (Less than a $100 item). It did, later.

Tim
student

Post by student »

Chip wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:46 am Maybe because there would be incontrovertible evidence of the misdeliveries? :twisted:

On a more serious note, Amazon has my email address (and I assume yours). Fedex doesn't. At least not mine.
You can sign up for fedex delivery manager. Free. https://www.fedex.com/en-us/delivery-manager.html They will email you when the package is delivered. Sometimes you can see the truck on the map. (Wait. Or is it UPS...)
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

My Fed Ex experiences last 2 weeks:
1. Received email my package was out for delivery. No receipt of package. This happened 3 days in a row. When I looked up the tracking number online, there was a note that the label was damaged and the package had been relabeled (3 times). When it finally arrived it was in an enourmous box, and I could hear by lifting the box it was broken. When I opened the enormous box, the original box was inside, torn open, crushed and otherwise damaged, and the item was in numerous pieces in both the original box and new enormous box. Shipper is sending replacement, which Fed Ex email states is scheduled for delivery today, yet tracking number does not indicate it is on a truck. Shipper advised I must keep the enormous box and it's contents for up to 10 -14 days during the investigation. If I do not hear back, I "can" then dispose of the item. It will cost me to dispose of this.

2. Ordered an expensive electronics item that I wanted to be home to received. For three days I received an email indicating it was out for delivery, and that I could track my order. For three days I watched as the truck it was supposedly on drove around all morning within blocks of my house, and drove right past my house at least 5 times. I received it on the fourth day, but not until I rearranged my schedule to be sure I would be home to receive it. Felt like a Fed Ex hostage for 4 days.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Saving$ wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:03 am
2. Ordered an expensive electronics item that I wanted to be home to received. For three days I received an email indicating it was out for delivery, and that I could track my order. For three days I watched as the truck it was supposedly on drove around all morning within blocks of my house, and drove right past my house at least 5 times. I received it on the fourth day, but not until I rearranged my schedule to be sure I would be home to receive it. Felt like a Fed Ex hostage for 4 days.
Next time, you can save yourself time by redirecting delivery to a FedEx Office location.
Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Thanks
My package arrived this morning. Hurrah! No idea where it was.

I average 2 or more deliveries a month and have never had an issue before. Based upon the replies I received, I am blessed this is the first time. The many low opinions of Fedex were an eye opener. Of course had my subject been UPS (or USPS) failed to deliver the package, I may have heard from fans of UPS or USPS.

I just received an expensive computer 2 weeks ago. That would have been more stressful had I not received it.

I assume that if I required a signature, I can greatly minimize this problem in the future?

Thanks for everyone's replies.
Last edited by carolinaman on Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Recently had a FedEx package that I did not receive that tracking says was delivered to my home.

Thus, I came to 3 conclusions:
a) Delivered to wrong address and a neighbor kept the package. Maybe? I live in a tighter community, but it possible.
b) Delivered to home, but stolen at house. Live in gated community and front door is not exposed. Maybe, I live in a tighter community, but it
possible.
c) Never delivered. Driver for whatever reason opted to keep package since I had no Ring camera to document. Possible, driver figures item could be of value (for being overworked) and blame it on the above issues since so many people don't receive packages routinely?

Trying to contact merchant yielded no assistance. I guess I understand it, from there perspective, item was tracked and shown delievered.

Just prior to that, had a large bike box (with a very expensive bike in it) that was supposed to require signature from FedEX. It was dropped off in front of my more exposed garage door and driver did not ring doorbell (as I was home) to attempt to get any signature. I was checking for it and I happened to be home. A similar UPS box a year ago with signature required with a bike was at least put at the front door, but again, no signature was obtained (and I was home).

The actionable part:
1. Consider installing a ring door camera. It will show driver delivering package and you'll know it's there.
2. I opted for a couple other higher priced items to be shipped to my local UPS store. It costs $10 for them to receive/hold the package. While they cannot do anything if item is damaged, I did open the items at the store so I could at least have a witness if the product was damaged.
3. Not sure about any local FedEX locations on costs to hold any packages?
TX_TURTLE

Post by TX_TURTLE »

Thanks
By my experience, it's best to contact the seller. Of course they will contact FedEx, but they are much more likely to get a quick response than you are. And oftentimes they replace the item for free, even if there is evidence that it was stolen from your front porch.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

carolinaman wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:58 am
I assume that if I required a signature, I can greatly minimize this problem in the future?
That would be the worst idea ever, unless you're a business with sufficient staffing from 8am-8pm or whatever the delivery window is. With some services you can request delivery to a nearby UPS or Fedex store if you have one, but whether the seller will do that and whether there will be extra cost varies.
Chip

Post by Chip »

student wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:35 am You can sign up for fedex delivery manager. Free. https://www.fedex.com/en-us/delivery-manager.html They will email you when the package is delivered. Sometimes you can see the truck on the map. (Wait. Or is it UPS...)
Yeah, I tried to do that three or four times when I was having the delivery issues I mentioned. I would enter all the required information and would get a message similar to "our system is currently experiencing problems; try again later". :oops: I eventually gave up.
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

I have a camera that shows the street. Sometimes I can see which house their truck stooped at when they supposedly "delivered" the package.
Then I head there to retrieve it.

Shipping with signature required does not solve the non-delivery problem. They claim they attempted to deliver, but noone was home (though no delivery attempt is seen on the security camera).
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

I have some data for this issue, although it only applies to Amazon. We have a driveway about 30 meters long that goes sideways, so not just from our house to the street, but sideways past our neighbor's house. As we pulled out to the end of our driveway (so, now 30 meters from the main rectangular part of our property), we saw the Amazon truck with a delivery for us. The driver handed us the package, but then remembered he had to take a picture. His software would not let him take the picture from the end of our driveway, so he had to walk the package down to the house. So, at least for this specific scenario, the software tries hard not to let the driver deliver to the wrong house if it's as much as 30 meters away from the right house. Of course this assumes all Amazon drivers use this software (we don't always get pictures) and the maps are accurate, etc., so, as I said, it's one data point.
FunnelCakeBob

Post by FunnelCakeBob »

Hands down, FedEx is the worst of the worst. If a package is not delivered as should, they don't provide live phone support. Instead, FedEx directs to its online portal and lead you in circles. They deserve to get investigated by the FTC and punished with big fines.

UPS is only a couple steps behind. Last week I received several boxes belonging to a neighbor a block away. There was no way the driver could have reasonably mistook my house for his. The strange thing according to my neighbor was the driver also delivered some boxes to him in the same batch that afternoon but then left these on my front door instead.

Amazon Prime delivery is totally hit-or-miss. I recently had a package that showed as delivered and marked as "hand-delivered to resident" while the truck was a block away. When I looked outside, the driver had apparently handed a box to a neighbor across the street, then realizing it was not the correct address or recipient, went back to his van to retrieve the correct package belonging to this neighbor. But instead of delivering the first box to me, the driver took it back in the van and drove off while I was watching the entire episode on the sidewalk. Calling Amazon was no help. They first claimed the online status was just a mistake and sometimes it takes a day or two to actually complete the delivery. When confronted with what I saw, Amazon said just be patient and it'll be delivered in a few days once the driver figures out his mistake. It nearly took a shouting match to get Amazon to acknowledge this mistake and offer to refund the purchase cost, which was less than $50.
Aku09

Post by Aku09 »

Same issue here with FedEx. Ordered diamond earrings from Sams Club for my wife for Valentine’s Day. Supposedly delivered Thursday, but doorbell camera shows they never even drove by my house. Called both FedEx and Sams Club within 90 minutes of this happening and neither has been helpful. I have called FedEx 3 times since then and haven’t gotten a single status update. Even calling today I was told someone will for sure call me today and they haven’t.

Sams Club will refund my money, but only with a police report. I had to fill out a police report today and have to pick it up tomorrow and then send to Sams Club to get a refund. Then I get to order it again and see if it happens again.
dowse

Post by dowse »

Revived this thread while researching my own FedEx issue.

Ordered a new phone from Verizon. Got notified on Thursday that it had been delivered, but it was no where to be found on my property. I was home all day. Called Verizon, and they asked me to check with neighbors, which I did. Called FedEx later in the day, and they opened a case. The next day (Friday), I watched for the driver making deliveries in my neighborhood. I caught up with him at a neighbors house, but it turned out he was not the same driver. However, he was very helpful and contacted the other driver and his supervisor in an effort to locate the package. A bit later, as I was out for a walk he was still in the neighborhood and stopped to tell me he had some info, which pinpointed the delivery at a location 2 doors away from my house. So, I immediately walked there, and by the time I got there, the driver pulled up again to show me the spot corresponding with the GPS coordinates recorded for the delivery. I then walked up to the door of the house and spoke to a neighbor residing there. He told me they had not seen it. Called FedEx claims dept. back, and they did not have this info in the case file, so I told them the story. I have to say I was impressed that the driver went out of his way to help. However, I still don't have the package, and no update from FedEx. Called Verizon back and told them all of this. They insist on giving FedEx at least 48 hours to locate the package. The rep. said I would receive a call from him on Monday, and if I haven't received the package by then, they will take the "next step", presumably ship me another phone.

Very frustrating. I told the neighbor I believed him, but privately, I can't rule out theft as they have teenage kids. I'm not about to make any such accusations directly. I'll let this play out and let Verizon and FedEx pursue that if they want.

I think what happens is that many times delivery drivers are sloppy. They only go by what the GPS is telling them and never bother to compare the house number to the label. Our house number is on both sides of our mailbox, which is right next to our driveway. The number is also displayed over our front door. The lots in the neighborhood are all 1+ acres. It couldn't be any more clear if someone is actually looking at house numbers, but I believe they only look at GPS. I would estimate that the GPS coordinates for that location are at least 250 ft. away from my driveway. Bottom line is the FedEx knows they delivered it to the wrong location, so I need somebody to make this right.
safari

Post by safari »

I was expecting a package yesterday that required a signature, so I made sure that I was home to sign for it. Imagine my surprise when I got a text message from FedEx, that they attempted to deliver the package, but nobody was home. There is just no way that was true because I was home at the time, and there wasn't a tag left on my door. It was raining pretty hard, so the lazy FedEx driver probably didn't want to get out of the truck. I called FedEx and filed a complaint. Hopefully the driver will get reprimanded, but I doubt it. I then drove to the FedEx distribution center to pick up the package myself because I don't trust FedEx delivering the package. Whenever I get a choice of which shipping company to use, I always choose UPS because I've never had a problem with UPS.
dowse

Post by dowse »

Upon researching this issue further, I found out that apparently, it is not illegal to keep a package that was delivered to you in error. While that may be true, in my opinion, it is just plain wrong to keep the package. When I get a package I didn't order, I make an effort to deliver it myself to the rightful recipient.

As an update to my case, Verizon declared the item "lost or stolen", credited my account for a refund, then facilitated a replacement order. They waived the fee for overnight service. I got the order the next day.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

dowse wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:18 am Upon researching this issue further, I found out that apparently, it is not illegal to keep a package that was delivered to you in error. While that may be true, in my opinion, it is just plain wrong to keep the package. When I get a package I didn't order, I make an effort to deliver it myself to the rightful recipient.

As an update to my case, Verizon declared the item "lost or stolen", credited my account for a refund, then facilitated a replacement order. They waived the fee for overnight service. I got the order the next day.
I believe it is only legal to keep a package if it is addressed to you. If it is addressed to someone else, then it is not legal to keep it.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

I haven't read everything.

My experience with FedEx is logging a lost package complaint does nothing. The thing to do is phone the local FedEx place, they do something like send out the driver to get the package from wherever he or she left it and deliver it to you. (I'm too old to roam around the neighborhood, unless I recognize where the package is from the photo.)

If I had my way, I would have USPS deliver everything I order.
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

Shackleton wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:28 am
dowse wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:18 am Upon researching this issue further, I found out that apparently, it is not illegal to keep a package that was delivered to you in error. While that may be true, in my opinion, it is just plain wrong to keep the package. When I get a package I didn't order, I make an effort to deliver it myself to the rightful recipient.

I believe it is only legal to keep a package if it is addressed to you. If it is addressed to someone else, then it is not legal to keep it.
What are you supposed to do with it? Everything I can think of probably involves a lot of work and possibly expense and maybe having to open the package.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

It is illegal to keep packages misdelivered to you. If something you didn't request is sent to your attention and address, then you can keep it. But keeping packages when they aren't addressed to you that were accidentally left at your property would be theft.

That said, I would not expend any effort to try to re-deliver a misdelivered package other than to perhaps attach a sign to the box saying ATTN CARRIER: MISDELIVERED PACKAGE, or, if it's for a neighbor, I might walk it down to them or give them a call or text to say come get it.

There was an instance where a very large package (think the size of IKEA cabinets) was delivered to us for an address seven miles from here. It was not a carrier that regularly delivers to this address. I left the package outside for two weeks so that anyone who found out where it was delivered could come get it. They didn't. I eventually set it out with the trash. The way I see it, I am not under any obligation to perform unpaid delivery or storage work, and after two weeks, there was a very slim chance that anyone with any business tracking it down had any idea it was here. And I sure wasn't willing to lift a large heavy box and drive it across town for free.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

tunafish wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:52 pm

What are you supposed to do with it? Everything I can think of probably involves a lot of work and possibly expense and maybe having to open the package.
Call FedEx or UPS and they will pick it up. Leave it on your porch and it is then not your problem. If it were USPS, mark it as “Not at this address”. Or be a mensch and walk it to your neighbor if it is an address close by. But that’s just me.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

goingup wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:01 pm My experience with FedX is that sometimes they say they have delivered something but haven’t. I suspect the drivers are under pressure to make delivery quotas and fudge sometimes. Give it another day or 2.

I don’t have bad delivery experiences with UPS or USPS, only FedX.
+1
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

(Rant on)

I wouldn't say it's unique to FedEx, but I do feel FedEx is a) bad, and b) worse than the others.

Their actually on-time delivery experience is OK but at least four times when the package was not received, they have been unhelpful and infuriating. Your delivery driver was far better than FedEx has ever been with me (although I was never able to snag a driver).

Twice it was resolved by neighbors taking the initiative and contacting me. Once it was "right number, wrong street," once "wrong number, wrong street." On two occasions, they said, infuriatingly, that they "had a signature" and seemed oblivious to the fact that it was not the RIGHT signature.

The worst was a $4,000 computer I ordered at work. After a lot of time on the phone, they insisted that they had correctly delivered it to a university miles away cross-town. They would not budge from this, even though I had multiple pieces of paperwork from Apple, all with our address on it, package--when I eventually got it--had our address on the label.
Shackleton wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:18 am...Call FedEx or UPS and they will pick it up.
That's what REALLY really galled me about the computer. I contacted the university's receiving department by phone and they said "let me look..." and got back "oh, yes, we have it here, it has your name and address on the label." And I called FedEx, and, no, they refused to pick it up there and deliver it. They just played hardball. "We delivered it to the right address and we have somebody's signature on it and we aren't going to do anything." I ended up driving there personally to get it.

No, maybe the worst was the time my daughter just didn't get the package, a $90 winter jacket, and FedEx just refused to do anything. "We have a signature." Yes, but it wasn't my daughter's signature, and it was--intentionally?--illegible. The merchant said "Oh, that's too bad, sorry for your inconvenience, we'll send out another at no cost to you." It was almost as if this was such a common problem that it didn't even surprise them.
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

Shackleton wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:18 am
tunafish wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:52 pm

Call FedEx or UPS and they will pick it up. Leave it on your porch and it is then not your problem. If it were USPS, mark it as “Not at this address”. Or be a mensch and walk it to your neighbor if it is an address close by. But that’s just me.
Nearly eighty and on crutches. I am not walking packages anywhere.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

tunafish wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:49 pm I haven't read everything.

My experience with FedEx is logging a lost package complaint does nothing. The thing to do is phone the local FedEx place, they do something like send out the driver to get the package from wherever he or she left it and deliver it to you. (I'm too old to roam around the neighborhood, unless I recognize where the package is from the photo.)

If I had my way, I would have USPS deliver everything I order.
I have had USPS pull the same thing on me. Claiming they made a delivery attempt and no one was home when I was home all day; no tag was left on the door either. I went to the post office the next day and told the supervisor and he didn't say a word; just went in the back and got my package.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Marylander1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:33 am , our ... packages were routinely delivered to another nearby house on a different street. When I got an email ...they'd been delivered and our porch was empty, I headed there. We got to know the people who lived in that other house.

I called ...numerous times and they didn't care.

Marylander1
Substitute UPS for FEDEX in the above comment. The house one street over has the same number as ours... some refrigerated medicine was shipped by UPS, left at the wrong address - which was unoccupied (up for sale, with realtor sign in front). :oops:
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)