Charlotte Area vs Dallas Area (C vs D)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Marseille07

Re: Charlotte Area vs Dallas Area (C vs D)

Post by Marseille07 »

mffl wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:16 pm Those are very localized events. You're highly unlikely to be affected. It makes for good news stories, but it's just not a substantial problem in practice. Everywhere gets some amount of natural disasters. That scary looking picture at the top of the article is in a river/floodplain area that is *expected* to flood, so there's no homes or permanent structures there. Creative framing of the picture makes it look like downtown Dallas is flooded, but that's not at all what happened.
Personally I really like Dallas, since I don't like the fall/winter/spring of PNW. These days though, I'm starting to appreciate PNW's summer, while Dallas seems really hot. I should spend 4 months in PNW and the rest in Dallas :D
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

I don't have much experience with Charlotte, but I've lived in Texas for more than 40 years. Here are a few thoughts.

Beaches - If you live in Dallas, you live north of the city, so Galveston is a 4.5 hour drive. It's a fine beach if a beach means a place to go fishing offshore. It's an OK beach if a beach means a place to play/relax in the sand. It's not a very good beach if you want to play in the water. The waves are relatively small and the water is unattractively silty.

Violence - Texas has significantly more violent crime than NYC. I don't know how it compares to NYC. I don't know anyone that has been a victim of violent crime here in the last few decades, so I don't think it affects suburbia much, but the stats are what they are. Also, it will soon be legal for anyone to carry a handgun without needing a license.

Schools - Dallas has some great public schools. You have to be willing to live far from town in the suburbs and live in a relatively expensive neighborhood.

Travel - Someone mentioned that Dallas is a great city to fly from. Southwest has a hub that's good for domestic flights. American has a hub that's great for international flights. Driving is another story. It's a long drive to get anywhere. You'll burn a full day in the car each way if you want to go skiing.

Terrain - Dallas is plains country. Not a lot of trees. No real elevation.

Sports - Dallas has the Rangers, the Cowboys, and the Mavericks. It's a good sports town.

Colleges - Being in Dallas means relatively low in-state tuition to some excellent public universities like Texas A&M and the University of Texas Dallas.

Low cost labor - It's relatively cheap to higher a landscaper or a maid.

Dallas people have a reputation for being less friendly and more image conscious than people from other Texas cities, but in my person experience people are friendly. The exception to that is on the freeways.
mkc

Post by mkc »

deltakappa wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:39 pm
Watty wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:36 am If you feel comfortable sharing it you might mention the general part of town that each of the offices are located in since that could make a big difference.
Yeah, it is north to central part of Dallas for Dallas, and southern side for Charlotte.
Might be worth monitoring Google Maps for your typical AM and PM commute to see where the congestion typically occurs. Drill down to the direction on major roads - which sides end up with lots of red, indicating a slow-up.

We lived on the west side of the Metroplex for 13 years. Traffic and property taxes are definitely a significant concern.

You mentioned being in NYC. We moved to Texas from the tri-state area. Things we missed the entire 25 years were fall, bakeries, real pizza, real NY-Italian food, real bread, real bagels, and more options for fresh seafood (unless you shop at Central Market and pay their prices, but it's still not like NY fish markets). I learned to make Italian bread, bagels, and pizza like we remembered.

Things we loved about Texas, food-wise, were Central Market/HEB (yes, you can love a grocery store), CenTex BBQ (the real thing - 407 BBQ in Argyle is by far the absolute best in DFW or go to Llano - Cooper's is our fave), TexMex (but not chain places like El Fenix and what Chuy's became when they turned into a chain), and panaderias - seriously good empanadas and Mexican pastries of all kinds.

Things we never got used to - summer heat (90+ at 10 PM), hail storms (3 roof replacements in 10 years), and the overwhelming emphasis on high school football (and pricey stadiums) over school facilities/teachers/supplies/programs that benefitted all students.
mffl

Post by mffl »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:28 pm
mffl wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:16 pm Those are very localized events. You're highly unlikely to be affected. It makes for good news stories, but it's just not a substantial problem in practice. Everywhere gets some amount of natural disasters. That scary looking picture at the top of the article is in a river/floodplain area that is *expected* to flood, so there's no homes or permanent structures there. Creative framing of the picture makes it look like downtown Dallas is flooded, but that's not at all what happened.
Personally I really like Dallas, since I don't like the fall/winter/spring of PNW. These days though, I'm starting to appreciate PNW's summer, while Dallas seems really hot. I should spend 4 months in PNW and the rest in Dallas :D
Ha! Yes, that would be awesome.

Maybe you can find someone who wants to house swap with you on that schedule, maybe because they like 110 degree weather in the summer, but they prefer a dreary, wet, grey the rest of the time. :)
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:58 am
deltakappa wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:57 amSo far, I know that Dallas areas has high property tax (2-3% total) but no state income tax, while Charlotte has fair property tax (1-1.2%), but there is the flat state income tax of 5.25%. I know that Charlotte seems better in climate - not too hot not too cold and all 4 seasons while Dallas has vibrant community of people (especially for immigrants). Also, Charlotte has more 'nature' than Dallas, in the sense you can go for a day trip to mountains and woods and also to beach which I believe Dallas does not have.
I love Texas (having lived in Houston and Austin), but the Dallas area is probably my least favorite metro area of the state. Only visited Charlotte, but it definitely appealed to me and I'd put it among the handful of places in the country that I would consider moving to. I'd definitely lean towards Charlotte, as it seems you are.
This is a perfect example of different strokes for different folks. I've lived in west and NW Houston for 35 years of my life and I would take N Dallas (McKinney, Plano) hands down over Houston, and I'd take Charlotte over both.

Spend some time in each if you can. Good luck.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

mffl wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:39 pm Ha! Yes, that would be awesome.

Maybe you can find someone who wants to house swap with you on that schedule, maybe because they like 110 degree weather in the summer, but they prefer a dreary, wet, grey the rest of the time. :)
PWN is dreary, wet and grey, but I'm starting to think I can tolerate it because the winter wasn't freezing. I misplayed it last season as I just moved out of CA and was just so used to wearing t-shirts and shorts all year. But I think I can handle better if I dressed properly.

I am still looking at Dallas later this year, but as far as quickly calculating the COL adjustments, it doesn't look like moving makes sense. Basically the pay cut is too great to justify lower COL, and the tech job market isn't as great as PNW.
hudson

Post by hudson »

deltakappa wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:57 am I got an offer of a job that gives me a flexibility to choose between relocating to Dallas area or Charlotte area, any of them. [/b

Is there any other perspective that I am missing? I would appreciate your two cents on this. Thank you.

I know nothing about Dallas except that it is much further south.
If I was moving to Charlotte, it would be outside of the I-485 loop. If you have to drive into Charlotte, I'd research traffic patterns....but you already knew that.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

hudson wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:18 am
deltakappa wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:57 am I got an offer of a job that gives me a flexibility to choose between relocating to Dallas area or Charlotte area, any of them.

Is there any other perspective that I am missing? I would appreciate your two cents on this. Thank you.
If I was moving to Charlotte, it would be outside of the I-485 loop. If you have to drive into Charlotte, I'd research traffic patterns....but you already knew that.
Any particular reason to be outside the 485 loop vs inside? Essentially you wouldn’t be in the city limits outside the loop.
ExTx

Post by ExTx »

I'm a retired Dallas Cop. Lived in the Dallas area for 30 years. Have been to Charlotte, but not enough to form an opinion on it. First, you won't live in Dallas unless you send your kids to a private school. All cops with kids live outside the Dallas suburbs, which mean north Collin county, or very far south to Waxahachie. You won't go to Galveston for your beach trip, more likely, drive the 6 hours to South Padre Island, or make a week in the Florida Panhandle. Summer, is of course brutal, especially as you get older, hence, why we live elsewhere. Winter is annoyingly cold, with usually 2-3 ice storms that shut everything down. If you want mountains, head to Big Bend National Park. Thats 8 hours if you take your time, but you can drive as fast as you want once you get past Ft Worth. BTW, is Ft Worth an option? Way less crime, a downtown where people don't flee after work, closer to baseball and the Cowboys if thats your thing. I think you said something about being a New Yorker? Well, Plano would be your place. Good schools, has everything you need, restaurants, Trader Joes, Whole Foods. Just my two cents. For me, if you live in Texas, San Antonio is the place. In a nutshell, plan on paying for a couple week vacations to Mexico or Florida, or Colorado. There are no "staycations" in Dallas. Oh, yea, property taxes. I live in a state income tax state now, I pay less taxes than I did in Texas.
fulliautomatix

Post by fulliautomatix »

I have lived in both NC and TX. I am currently in the Dallas area.

Charlotte has better weather and nature and weekend escapes and beaches and mountains. We did them all and it is great to have that choice especially when kids are younger. Your overall expenses in Charlotte will be lower.

In Dallas, the nice/touristy places to visit will be either FL or CA, nothing nearby worth the drive in my opinion.

You will find good high schools and family friendly neighborhoods in both places. Both are in the bible belt. You will run into religion everywhere in both places but Charlotte more so and has a more southern feel to it.

Dallas has terribly hot weather, property taxes are high and we had to look for a house for two years before we could find a nice one amid bidding wars. And this was before COVID. Now house hunting is a nightmare. We had two houses sell in our neighborhood recently. One had 10 offers and the other had 32. Both went for $70K+ over list price. Hailstorms mean frequent roof replacements and insurance rates are very high with very high deductibles. Many companies wont offer deductibles less than 1%, so $6,000 on a $600K house. My insurance premium is $3,400. Auto insurance is also high (crazy pickup drivers?). Commutes can be very long and, while DFW has excellent connections, just getting to the airport is a nightmare. Also be ready to pay tolls everywhere. A 25 year old 4 BR home in Plano will cost you $550K+. A newer equivalent in Frisco will cost you $725K+. Both are quite a bit north of Dallas, with Frisco being north of Plano. Coppell is more centrally situated and near DFW with good schools but homes are either more expensive or more older. Lack of inventory is very real in Plano and Coppell as they are built out. Frisco and McKinney still have new developments and lots of them but also very North for commuting towards Dallas. Gridlock everywhere.

I still pick Dallas but because of my situation - see how much would apply to you. My kids are in teens and have outgrown the beaches and mountains. I work remote in my current job so commutes and tolls are a non-factor. I can play tennis in January and this is a fairly important part of my life outside of work. I dont mind the summer heat - you will find me mowing my lawn in the middle of the day at 100 degrees in the middle of summer. Public facilities and parks are excellent. In my neighborhood, tennis courts and swimming pool are a few steps away. We have nice mature trees. I pay a lot for property taxes but my kids go to excellent and very competitive public schools which feed into very nice public universities that dont break the bank. Just these more than make up for the cost of living difference between C & D. One kid is off to college this fall and the second one in a few years. After that, I may consider moving for job related reasons. IT jobs are in plenty (not necessarily Tech jobs - those are in Austin) but I am not in IT or Tech. Dallas has a higher energy level to the place and more cosmopolitan than Charlotte IMO.

Different pros and cons. Do come back and tell us what you picked and why.
hudson

Post by hudson »

BrandonBogle wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:41 am
hudson wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:18 am
deltakappa wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:57 am I got an offer of a job that gives me a flexibility to choose between relocating to Dallas area or Charlotte area, any of them.

Any particular reason to be outside the 485 loop vs inside? Essentially you wouldn’t be in the city limits outside the loop.
I prefer living outside of the built up areas as possible. The OP may want to look at Metrolina rather than Charlotte. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte ... litan_area

It really depends what the OP prefers. I like living in the boonies; but I also like living close to where I work. Traffic gives me heartburn.
xtracrispy1031

Post by xtracrispy1031 »

Moved to Charlotte from the Northeast 7 years ago... Bought a house, got married, raising young kids in a good school district. Wife (from NY) and I both love it here. Summers are hot, but winters are very mild and enjoyable, and spring and fall are amazing. Lots of restaurants & independent breweries, real family friendly stuff. Already seen a number of friends/acquaintances from the Northeast follow suit and relocate this way. Highly recommend.