Roofing: Liability insurance and Workers Comp insurance.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ram

Roofing: Liability insurance and Workers Comp insurance.

Post by ram »

At my request the roofer has sent me two documents through his insurance agent. I am listed as the certificate holder and the roofer as the Insured.

1. Commercial general Insurance:
Each occurrence; 1 million.
Med Expenses : 5000 each person
Damage to rented : 50K
General aggregate : 2 Million
Auto liability : 1 M

2. Workers Comp and Employers liability:
Each accident : 100K
Disease: Each employee 100K
Disease policy limit : 500K.

Is there anything else documentation wise that I need to get copies for. ( Wisconsin State). Work starts in early July.

(He has good reputation in the area and I have talked to his former clients. I am satisfied with his quote.)

My gutters are also 20 years old and some of them leak. Should I replace or repair them at the same time. Do most roofers also do gutter work or should I contact somebody else.

Thanks.
Ram
mneumann

Re: Roofing: Liability insurance and Workers Comp insurance.

Post by mneumann »

Insurance is good. Those are very standard max limits for a contractor gl and wc policy. The comp limits are only employers liability limits as there is no limit on a wc policy.

Gutters no clue, I only know insurance.
BreadandButter

Post by BreadandButter »

After the roof is completed is a great time for new gutters. I have always gotten the best price from small independent gutter guys with their own gutter fabricating rig/truck. It is also a good time to think about moving or adding downspouts if needed.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Just a side note on gutters at the risk of thread drift. Where I live, we get 44" of rain on average a year. But when I called the county about my nephew's home not having gutters but the one across the street having them, the head residential building inspector said they may not be needed in all homes.

In VA, the building code has changed. Here is the code section from the Virginia Residential Code that gives guidance on roof drainage i.e. gutters, downspouts and downspout extensions:

R801.3Roof drainage.

In areas where expansive or collapsible soils are known to exist, all dwellings shall have a controlled method of water disposal from roofs that will collect and discharge roof drainage to the ground surface at least 5 feet (1524 mm) from foundation walls or to an approved drainage system.

One other consideration on gutters. I am on shrink - swell soil so need them, but when they are replaced, I'm switch to flip (tilt) gutters. Not sure how they work in a heavy snow/ice area.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

If your gutters are not the seamless type, and have joints, are they leaking at the joints? If they are jointed and if the gutters aren't rusted you can spray a product like Flex-Seal inside the gutter at the locations where the leaks are happening, and that may be enough. Certainly cheaper.
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

Thanks everybody. Will check on the type of gutters
Ram
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

BreadandButter wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:56 am After the roof is completed is a great time for new gutters. I have always gotten the best price from small independent gutter guys with their own gutter fabricating rig/truck. It is also a good time to think about moving or adding downspouts if needed.
So it seems that there is nothing advantageous about doing roof and gutters "at the same time" . I can wait for the roof to be completed, take my time evaluating quotes for gutters and then give the job to the right guy. An advantages of seamless vs seam gutters.
Thanks
Ram
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

Using sub-contractors is a very common practice with roofing companies. Make sure that the insurance information covers any sub-contractors that might be used. Or better yet, get it in writing that no sub contractors will be involved. And then get a lien waiver from the contractor when you make final payment.