Junk removal companies?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TSR

Junk removal companies?

Post by TSR »

I have a move coming up, and I anticipate that I will have maybe 1/3 of a garage full of junk or near-junk (i.e., things that I wouldn't bother to burden Goodwill with). I plan to hire a junk-removal company, but I didn't know if it was better to go with the "GOT JUNK" folks (big national company) or someone local. Importantly, I anticipate that there will be timing issues such that I will need them to arrive in a somewhat narrow window. To me that argues in favor of one of the bigger companies, just because they at least advertise that they show up same-day and haul on the spot after giving an estimate. But I figured I'd ask here. The last thread I could find on this was in 2012 (viewtopic.php?t=93600), so I figured I'd check again. Thanks!
Meaty

Re: Junk removal companies?

Post by Meaty »

TSR wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:08 pm I have a move coming up, and I anticipate that I will have maybe 1/3 of a garage full of junk or near-junk (i.e., things that I wouldn't bother to burden Goodwill with). I plan to hire a junk-removal company, but I didn't know if it was better to go with the "GOT JUNK" folks (big national company) or someone local. Importantly, I anticipate that there will be timing issues such that I will need them to arrive in a somewhat narrow window. To me that argues in favor of one of the bigger companies, just because they at least advertise that they show up same-day and haul on the spot after giving an estimate. But I figured I'd ask here. The last thread I could find on this was in 2012 (viewtopic.php?t=93600), so I figured I'd check again. Thanks!
I’ve used a few of them. They always showed up on time and removed the stuff we didn’t want; the cost always seemed high but with half a garage of stuff it’s probably worth not breaking your back
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
Adfmacro

Post by Adfmacro »

TSR wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:08 pm I have a move coming up, and I anticipate that I will have maybe 1/3 of a garage full of junk or near-junk (i.e., things that I wouldn't bother to burden Goodwill with). I plan to hire a junk-removal company, but I didn't know if it was better to go with the "GOT JUNK" folks (big national company) or someone local. Importantly, I anticipate that there will be timing issues such that I will need them to arrive in a somewhat narrow window. To me that argues in favor of one of the bigger companies, just because they at least advertise that they show up same-day and haul on the spot after giving an estimate. But I figured I'd ask here. The last thread I could find on this was in 2012 (viewtopic.php?t=93600), so I figured I'd check again. Thanks!
When time was short, we used 800 Got Junk. It had some cost to it but convenient and quick. We have also done free for haul away on Craigslist on some bulky but good items.

I have also done aluminum (non-cans) and steel recycling. The paid by the pound. If you have time and enough of metal to make it worthwhile, it was not bad. But time consuming and not much money for the effort.

Sometimes the local garage collections will do a curbside pickup, but may require a call first. I have also put things out at the street marked free to see if someone would haul it off and likely they will. If you have time between the Got Junk order and schedule, you might try some items at the curb for either free haul off for for local trash pickup to take it. It might drop the price down a bit. I have not used a Direct competition to Got Junk. Be careful when having them pickup. If you are too general and don’t keep an eye on things, you could end up hauling things you want to keep.

I remember a company that years ago stated to a cleaning that it it was on the floor and not something expected to be on the floor it was trash. The only problem was one day several workers were doing an organizational project and did not complete it at the end of the day. Of course it was all over the floor. The next morning the cleaning people had done a great job in discarding all their work.

I also heard of calling Got Junk to haul off an old printer. They were told where to find it, but the location was near where they put the new one. They hauled off the new one. With any of these companies, stay there while they do their work.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I ordered a dumpster. You fill it, they haul it.

Then for the small amount remaining...which of course wasn't small...I called a guy. I think I got the name from my agent.
fatima526

Post by fatima526 »

I used GotJunk 3 years ago, didn't shop around for price or look for any local alternatives. They showed up and removed what I specified as expected.

It was one of those situations where I just wanted to invest the least amount of time into making a problem go away ASAP. Was only 2 items to be hauled off, so not talking big $$$ here.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

When I cleared out my parents home a few years ago I used a local company. For the first load, I utilize their full large truck pricing which was $1,500.00 (in California). They brought out 4-5 strong people and it took several hours. One thing that I appreciated was that they broke things down to fit more into the truck. Be careful of the run of the mill person with a truck. I heard stories about some companies not disposing the load at an actual landfill and just throwing it out anywhere so they don't have to pay for the disposal fees. Not good if you have something identifying you where the local authorities can trace back to you. Also this company separated anything recyclable.

Of course get an estimate and check reviews and references. Good luck.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

adamthesmythe wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:15 pm I ordered a dumpster. You fill it, they haul it.

Then for the small amount remaining...which of course wasn't small...I called a guy. I think I got the name from my agent.
I was going to suggest renting a dumpster too. If the OP is already hauling things to the garage, then get a dumpster and haul it to that instead.

Our local garbage service will also come and empty the dumpster for an additional fee. So if you fill it up, you call for a pickup and then fill it up again.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

As for the narrow timing window, I'd book a place somewhere cheap so I have a place to stay in case something doesn't go as expected. Planning to do just that when I move out, not just for junk but also to take care of move-out businesses should they come up at all.
Topic Author
TSR

Post by TSR »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:51 pm As for the narrow timing window, I'd book a place somewhere cheap so I have a place to stay in case something doesn't go as expected. Planning to do just that when I move out, not just for junk but also to take care of move-out businesses should they come up at all.
Good thought here. Fortunately already have this covered.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

adamthesmythe wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:15 pmI ordered a dumpster. You fill it, they haul it.
My sister and I (in our late 60s) emptied my mother's house (located in very rural Virginia.) 6.5 tons (4 dumpsters full). Took us a month of working 6 hours every day. The only person who would bid doing it for us asked $200k!

The rest of the house contents were auctioned off for $100k.

Looking back, we should have paid the $200k (or torched the place).
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
tmcc

Post by tmcc »

adamthesmythe wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:15 pm I ordered a dumpster. You fill it, they haul it.

+1 get a dumpster
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

How much does a dumpster cost to have dropped off and hauled away?
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

How much does a dumpster cost to have dropped off and hauled away?
tmcc

Post by tmcc »

lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:46 am How much does a dumpster cost to have dropped off and hauled away?
it will vary based on where you are, dumpster size and total weight when they take it away. probably around $300-400
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Big companies are fine but expensive. If you search you can find some guy who will do it cheaper. Often real estate agents will have contact info
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

tmcc wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:23 pm
lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:46 am How much does a dumpster cost to have dropped off and hauled away?
it will vary based on where you are, dumpster size and total weight when they take it away. probably around $300-400
I actually don't remember. It must have been reasonable.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

We had our roof done recently and in the quote, the dumpster cost was quoted at $500. A friend of ours passed away 2 years ago and his wife had a "we take junk away" place. About half a dumpster worth cost here $1000.

If you have the ability and maybe a hand truck, I'd move things of any value to the curb. This is done all the time in our town, which is chock full of Ferraris. Heck....yesterday while bringing our cat back from the vet, I stopped and picked up an old desktop at the curb. I escrap for fun and profit, so this is par for the course for me. I expect you'll unload way more than you expect doing it this way. You can always load up a dumpster or junk guy from the curb later. I'd expect scrappers are going to descend like a flock of crows.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
MildlyEccentric

Post by MildlyEccentric »

The contractor who did our bathroom remodel used a bagster.com kind of service. You buy the "bag" (approx $30) at a big box store like homedepot, and then schedule a pickup when the bag is full. The bag is 4' X 8' X 2.5' and holds a bit over 3,000 lbs, so the term bag is a bit misleading. Pickup fee in our area is $175 for a single bag.

Where we live, we can schedule a special pickup with our trash, so that would be my personal first choice. I've also rented conventional dumpsters which have a drop off/pick up, size, daily rental, and weight (of the trash) based fees. I think I spent about $300 last time I rented one.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

After my mom died in 2020, we donated as much stuff as possible. That which the donation sites didn’t want we used 1-800-Got Junk. Scheduled it on the internet. The price was high, but we needed to clear out the house in order to sell. Well worth it. The guys they sent did a great job loading and cleaning out the garage. Well worth it. I was so happy I tipped them.
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

A high school friend owns One Call Junk Haul, that seems to beat the prices of the big guys. I know they expanded to the west coast, but unsure if in your area.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Our town only has bulk pickup 2x/year. And its from the curb. You have to lug it out yourself. I can't move sofas, etc out to the curb or up/down stairs.

We used these guys a year or so ago. https://www.junkluggers.com/locations

As I recall a 3 (?) man crew, one flat bed type truck with walls, like a small moving truck. We had ceramic tile, furniture, etc. Same as would go into a dumpster. They disassembled a bed with their tools; took doors off to get stuff out and replaced them. Carted out all the stuff (mattresses. large sectional sofa, very heavy convertible sleeper sofa, etc) from the 2nd floor and from the basement. Polite, friendly and careful.

They bill by volume. We had "half a truck load" by their definition, and packed high, since no need to avoid dings. It was $405 after a small coupon plus tax. We paid tips in cash. They say they try to donate and if successful will send you a charitable receipt. We didn't get one.

I'd use them again. They did all the work and lifting.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

One of my friends did a large lawn/deck project last summer and filled a Bagster with tree debris, etc. He bought the Bagster at Home Depot and the local trash service charged $200 to pick it up from his driveway.

I agree with the suggestion to place items on the curb to give away. I've been amazed at some of the junk that people will take.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

adamthesmythe wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:48 pm

Seriously, nobody with an actual number on this? I'm curious - I suspect it's $500+ for a full dumpster.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:21 pm

Seriously, nobody with an actual number on this? I'm curious - I suspect it's $500+ for a full dumpster.
It depends on dumpster size, number of pickups, length of rental, and your location. You have to call your local garbage collection company to find out the specific pricing in your area. My city has a whole dumpster "menu" of options, where you can choose a specific size, rental length, pickup frequency, etc. and get a customized quote for that particular purpose. But that won't translate to your city.

For example, most California cities have a small dumpster meant for residential use that one can rent for anywhere from a week to a month with one pickup (at the end of the rental) for only a couple hundred dollars. It's meant to facilitate proper waste disposal of home renovation projects, deep cleaning after moving out, and so on. But if your town only has the larger, commercial-sized dumpsters, it's going to cost a lot more to rent a dumpster.

So you have to call and ask. It's one of those location-dependent answers that no one on an Internet forum can provide to you.
Whipsnap

Post by Whipsnap »

I would think sticking locally would be a better choice if you have a limited window of availability. You might also want to check with the moving company you're using to see if they can do it. I know I had to get rid of some stuff last time I moved and the movers (three men and a truck) were able to do it same day. Definitely made it easier not having to contact two different companies and arrange to be there for both. Moving is hectic enough as it is and I like to keep as simple as possible so things don't get too out of whack when trying to stay organized and on top of everything.

Post by 123 »

lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:21 pm Seriously, nobody with an actual number on this? I'm curious - I suspect it's $500+ for a full dumpster.
The cost will vary widely. There are all kinds of different sizes for dumpsters. The fee for removal could be relatively low in a rural or suburban area but very high in an area like San Francisco or NYC (if there even is room to fit a dumpster there). In densely populated areas like San Francisco you may also have to deal with city permits and parking restrictions if you want to place a dumpster at the curb.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

LoL, I'm planning to move in the next 10-15 years. I just started this year filling up the remaining space in the garbage can with stuff I don't use that nobody would want, I figure I'll be done and won't need this type of service by the time I move. I've actually stopped buying stuff since I started this long term endeavor.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Duplicated post
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

123 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:12 pm
lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:21 pm Seriously, nobody with an actual number on this? I'm curious - I suspect it's $500+ for a full dumpster.
The cost will vary widely. There are all kinds of different sizes for dumpsters. The fee for removal could be relatively low in a rural or suburban area but very high in an area like San Francisco or NYC (if there even is room to fit a dumpster there). In densely populated areas like San Francisco you may also have to deal with city permits and parking restrictions if you want to place a dumpster at the curb.
Ding, ding, ding. Our SoCal town used to have a great deal -- a tiny dumpster for $35 for the week. Now, the smallest is $165 (but much larger than the homeowner deal).

When I cleaned out my folks Bay Area house (to sell it after the second died), the local town required a $50 fee for parking restrictions, and for that fee, they'd put up no parking signs in front of the house 48 hours early and tow, if necessary. The smallest dumpster was $215.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

My city will give you an extra 95 gallon trash container for < $15/month (with weekly collections). Within a few months, you could get rid of a large amount of junk. (If your move isn't immediate.)
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

I cleaned out a house that contained what I thought was junk.

First order of business was to ID a local recycling place. Made quite a dent bringing items there.

Second was an auction to sell the content of the house. This was interesting - for example, they rearranged all the kitchen drawer, and then auctioned off the content of each drawer one by one. The winning bidder was obliged to take the entire contents. They did this throughout the house. That got rid of an enormous amount of things. Someone even bid on and bought all the scrap wood in the basement workshop.

Third was to make donations to organization that pick things up. Lots of books, baskets, etc. went to these places. They will only take what they can sell.

Fourth was to put the remaining items on Craigslist. One item that was left was the newish carpet that had been in each room - it had to go to get the floors refinished to put the house on the market. I tried posting the carpet and other items on Craigslist for free and got no response for some items, and oddly was reported as inappropriate for the free carpet. So then I posted for ridiculously low prices - for three bedrooms of almost new carpet amounting to about 400 sf, I posted it all for $10, but said you had to take the pad also. I got 30 responses within 10 minutes of posting, and replied to the first three that the first to show up could take it. I had it in the garage along with a bunch of other stuff I wanted to get rid of. All 3 people showed up to try to be first for the carpet. Between the three of them, they took EVERYTHING else in the garage, and one came back the next day for some other stuff. All three told me they would have removed the carpet themselves to get it for $10. Lesson learned, but not sure I would have let strangers into the house, even though the contents were largely gone by then.

Easy, quick and cost effective.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

We used 800 GOT Junk and it was a good experience. Easy to schedule online, the two guys who showed up were friendly, professional and quick. Their pricing is based on how much volume it takes up in the truck. So it can be pricey but I'd recommend them. Just like with moving, I'm fine with paying for someone else to do it to save my back, knees etc.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

gpburdell wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:10 pm We used 800 GOT Junk and it was a good experience. Easy to schedule online, the two guys who showed up were friendly, professional and quick. Their pricing is based on how much volume it takes up in the truck. So it can be pricey but I'd recommend them. Just like with moving, I'm fine with paying for someone else to do it to save my back, knees etc.
+1
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

Dottie57 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:22 pm
gpburdell wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:10 pm We used 800 GOT Junk and it was a good experience. Easy to schedule online, the two guys who showed up were friendly, professional and quick. Their pricing is based on how much volume it takes up in the truck. So it can be pricey but I'd recommend them. Just like with moving, I'm fine with paying for someone else to do it to save my back, knees etc.
+1
+2
rich126

Post by rich126 »

This is the quick/easy approach. Not the cheapest. Real estate agents often have a list of people who do odd jobs and they are usually much cheaper in my experience.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

lightheir wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:21 pm

Most municipalities have a dedicated trash contract and therefore you cannot contract for another company to supply you with a dumpster. Also, IIRC the rates are set by a PUC--so they are fixed.

You can get 3 Cu Yd (small) containers or 20, 30 and 40 Cu YD "roll off's"
The smaller have low sides and are usually used for construction "hard goods":--like concrete and asphalt.
The 30's are best, because you can thrown stuff in/over the top.
They come with a weight of carriage included--I don't remember (4 tons?).

There IS a weight limit; but most house hold waste will not exceed the limit on a 30.

The round trip charge for delivery, pickup and transport to the dump for me, in SoCal, was $565.

in contrast, the 1800-Got-Junk guys charged me $1200 for a small dump truck full of stuff--about 1/6th the size of a dumpster.
To me, that is predation. But I live in an area of rich people that want "the problem to go away".
So they fill that need.

I also used a landscaper with a dump trailer--paid him and his guys $300 to clean out a garage--and everybody was happy.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

We used a guy who had “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” and a phone number spray painted on the OSB boards sticking up from the bed of his pickup truck. He was kind of a neighborhood fixture. He brought a friend, they were nice guys, they worked hard, and did it for time + mileage + dump fees. Way cheaper than any of the prices quoted here.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

phxjcc wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:26 pm Most municipalities have a dedicated trash contract and therefore you cannot contract for another company to supply you with a dumpster. Also, IIRC the rates are set by a PUC--so they are fixed.
I have never heard of such a thing.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I used JDog Junk Removal to get rid of some things following a death in the family. I was happy with the service.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:47 pm We used a guy who had “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” and a phone number spray painted on the OSB boards sticking up from the bed of his pickup truck. He was kind of a neighborhood fixture. He brought a friend, they were nice guys, they worked hard, and did it for time + mileage + dump fees. Way cheaper than any of the prices quoted here.
Was it Angus Young, who was looking for work because touring is a no go?
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I just start piling the stuff at the curb and put a Facebook Marketplace ad out saying free stuff, first come first serve. Generally it almost disappears as fast as I can carry it out. What is left at days end is usually less than the minimum $15 tip fee that I pay to add it to the city dump.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

I just had a local independent junk hauler come and haul away an old spa cover, an old outdoor table and 2 chairs, some auto shocks,
some old chain link and a few other small things. He was recommended by a neighbor and he came with a helper. He charged me $200 which I thought was fine. Here and gone is 12 minutes.