[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

We have recorded but not yet watched the new Winslet HBO police drama. I was hoping that it might be a refreshing change.

"City on a Hill" season 2 was so bad that even the hilarity that is Kevin Bacon couldn't save it for us. It went beyond woke, to it made me choke.

It seems in recent years the best crime / police dramas are from Europe or even Australia / NZ. It's a shame because it's a genre I enjoy...and am quite picky about.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by SrGrumpy »

Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am It seems in recent years the best crime / police dramas are from Europe or even Australia / NZ. It's a shame because it's a genre I enjoy...and am quite picky about.
True. There's not much going on Stateside. I miss Sipowicz!

I've watched pretty much every recent British cop show in the last few year or two, and the offerings are mostly very good, including the corrupt-cop one Line of Duty, which ends its run on BBC on Sunday. Unforgotten, also recently finished, was another goodie - a bit like the CBS drama Cold Case. But there were some real clunkers, including The Bodyguard, Deadwater Fell and most recently the Northern Irish one Bloodlands.

It's a pity there don't seem to be any new Welsh noirs, apart from a new season of Keeping Faith, which I bailed on early in its run. France's gritty Engrenages/Spiral probably went on a season or two past its natural expiry but still surpassed anything over here.
User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 11795
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ResearchMed »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:03 am
ResearchMed wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:59 am
SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 am Two new excellent cop dramas with foreign female leads here: I just finished a Swedish one called Huss, set in Gothenburg (not sure if available in USA), and have started HBO's Mare of Easttown, starring Kate Winslet as a haggard, Rolling Rock-drinking detective in gloomy SE Pennsylvania.
We couldn't make it through the first episode.
It definitely had potential, but we were very disappointed in, among other things, the acting, including by Winslet.
:annoyed
RM
I was looking forward to it but the NYT reviewer scorched it.
Oh, I wish we had read that review before deciding whether to give it a try or not.

"...in the tradition of Middle American miserabilism..."
I'll definitely look for more of this - NOT!

I kept glancing at DH, who seemed to be deeply engrossed in the show.
Finally - it didn't really take that long, unfortunately, or maybe fortunately? - before I murmured something like, "Um, are you enjoying this?"
To which he sent an amused glare in my direction, and then we proceeded to switch to some ballet.

(We are on a serious ballet kick now for some reason. Probably triggered by giving a quick look to a snippit from Nureyev & Fonteyn's performances in the Pas de Deux from Act II in Giselle. I could put that on a permanent loop... It's "good for whatever ails you"... :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvn2iiBrojw&t=79s
(It looks even better on a larger screen than a laptop, of course.)

Can't wait for live performances again.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:46 am
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am It seems in recent years the best crime / police dramas are from Europe or even Australia / NZ. It's a shame because it's a genre I enjoy...and am quite picky about.
True. There's not much going on Stateside. I miss Sipowicz!

I've watched pretty much every recent British cop show in the last few year or two, and the offerings are mostly very good, including the corrupt-cop one Line of Duty, which ends its run on BBC on Sunday. Unforgotten, also recently finished, was another goodie - a bit like the CBS drama Cold Case. But there were some real clunkers, including The Bodyguard, Deadwater Fell and most recently the Northern Irish one Bloodlands.

It's a pity there don't seem to be any new Welsh noirs, apart from a new season of Keeping Faith, which I bailed on early in its run. France's gritty Engrenages/Spiral probably went on a season or two past its natural expiry but still surpassed anything over here.
Hear, hear!!! :sharebeer
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3912
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Doom&Gloom »

SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:46 am
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am It seems in recent years the best crime / police dramas are from Europe or even Australia / NZ. It's a shame because it's a genre I enjoy...and am quite picky about.
True. There's not much going on Stateside. I miss Sipowicz!

I've watched pretty much every recent British cop show in the last few year or two, and the offerings are mostly very good, including the corrupt-cop one Line of Duty, which ends its run on BBC on Sunday. Unforgotten, also recently finished, was another goodie - a bit like the CBS drama Cold Case. But there were some real clunkers, including The Bodyguard, Deadwater Fell and most recently the Northern Irish one Bloodlands.

It's a pity there don't seem to be any new Welsh noirs, apart from a new season of Keeping Faith, which I bailed on early in its run. France's gritty Engrenages/Spiral probably went on a season or two past its natural expiry but still surpassed anything over here.
Not only do I miss Sipowicz, I miss Frank Pembleton. Homicide: Life on the Street remains my gold standard for TV police/crime dramas.
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by SrGrumpy »

Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:02 pm
Hear, hear!!! :sharebeer
P.S. I'm not exactly sold on Stabler's return to the Law & Order franchise, having finally given up on SVU a few years back.
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by SrGrumpy »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:10 pm
Not only do I miss Sipowicz, I miss Frank Pembleton. Homicide: Life on the Street remains my gold standard for TV police/crime dramas.
Frank was reincarnated on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which was one of the better absurdist cop comedies. Munch's reincarnation on Law & Order gave that show some much-needed dry humor, and his loss was sorely felt.
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:14 pm
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:02 pm
Hear, hear!!! :sharebeer
P.S. I'm not exactly sold on Stabler's return to the Law & Order franchise, having finally given up on SVU a few years back.
I rarely watch any crime / police dramas (in recent years) on network TV. I can't articulate my barometer clearly, but if it doesn't at least somehow resonate with my experience working in the field in NYC, Miami with occasional forays to other U.S. and foreign locales, then it loses me.

This is why shows like "The Wire" were so good. Anyone who has worked on investigations involving complex criminal organizations, electronic intercepts and the drive to take them on and take them down can relate. It had an air of authenticity usually lacking in other shows. And it didn't devolve into a shoot 'em up. Most of the violence was within the criminal gangs.

Southland was another pretty good show, for the most part. It's hard to get through any of them without a few eyebrows being raised.

Oh well...I'm thankful for the good ones that follow an investigation in a manner I might have employed and don't make one cringe.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
rockstar
Posts: 1819
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:51 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by rockstar »

Shadow and Bone on Netflix. It's really good. Now, I have to read the books.
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by SrGrumpy »

Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:21 pm I rarely watch any crime / police dramas (in recent years) on network TV. I can't articulate my barometer clearly, but if it doesn't at least somehow resonate with my experience working in the field in NYC, Miami with occasional forays to other U.S. and foreign locales, then it loses me.
So you toss a brick at the telly every time the DNA comes back in 30 minutes? :happy
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:26 pm
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:21 pm I rarely watch any crime / police dramas (in recent years) on network TV. I can't articulate my barometer clearly, but if it doesn't at least somehow resonate with my experience working in the field in NYC, Miami with occasional forays to other U.S. and foreign locales, then it loses me.
So you toss a brick at the telly every time the DNA comes back in 30 minutes? :happy
LOL! I'm not quite that bad, but I do swear a bit.

(DNA wasn't really our thing. Our cases revolved primarily around narcotics, money laundering, arms smuggling and terrorist related matters. Homicides only came up peripherally or if I was lending a hand, as I had occasion to do for UK's Metropolitan Police.)
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by SrGrumpy »

Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:32 pm
SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:26 pm
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:21 pm I rarely watch any crime / police dramas (in recent years) on network TV. I can't articulate my barometer clearly, but if it doesn't at least somehow resonate with my experience working in the field in NYC, Miami with occasional forays to other U.S. and foreign locales, then it loses me.
So you toss a brick at the telly every time the DNA comes back in 30 minutes? :happy
LOL! I'm not quite that bad, but I do swear a bit.

(DNA wasn't really our thing. Our cases revolved primarily around narcotics, money laundering, arms smuggling and terrorist related matters. Homicides only came up peripherally or if I was lending a hand, as I had occasion to do for UK's Metropolitan Police.)
You might like the multinational ZeroZeroZero on Amazon Prime for the narcotics and money laundering (and a lot of mangled corpses).
mnsportsgeek
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by mnsportsgeek »

Just dove in to The Wire. Not sure what took me so long, but from everything I hear I am in for a treat.
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:40 pm
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:32 pm
SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:26 pm
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:21 pm I rarely watch any crime / police dramas (in recent years) on network TV. I can't articulate my barometer clearly, but if it doesn't at least somehow resonate with my experience working in the field in NYC, Miami with occasional forays to other U.S. and foreign locales, then it loses me.
So you toss a brick at the telly every time the DNA comes back in 30 minutes? :happy
LOL! I'm not quite that bad, but I do swear a bit.

(DNA wasn't really our thing. Our cases revolved primarily around narcotics, money laundering, arms smuggling and terrorist related matters. Homicides only came up peripherally or if I was lending a hand, as I had occasion to do for UK's Metropolitan Police.)
You might like the multinational ZeroZeroZero on Amazon Prime for the narcotics and money laundering (and a lot of mangled corpses).
I wanted to like it, it just didn't work for me. It's clearly popular...but seemed to lack the feeling of authenticity, and I couldn't get into the way the tale was told.

Narcos and Narcos: Mexico are much more to my liking. In fact, I worked on some of the cases, and with individuals mentioned on Narcos. Same with the movie "The Infiltrator" with Bryan Cranston. Had a hand in the case that one was based on as well.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 1071
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Erie, PA

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Elsebet »

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat on Netflix. I read and enjoyed the book recently so I followed up with the TV series. It's short (only 4 episodes) and very high level. I guess I was hoping for a little more depth that the book had, but the series was enjoyable and made me hungry while watching. I also got some ideas to try, like the miso eggs.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
P&C actuary
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by P&C actuary »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:10 pm Not only do I miss Sipowicz, I miss Frank Pembleton. Homicide: Life on the Street remains my gold standard for TV police/crime dramas.
Totally agree. And really liked the cross over shows with Law and Order.
User avatar
jjunk
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by jjunk »

Even though its in its 4th season, we've been watching The Good Doctor on ABC (via Hulu). It's about an autistic surgical resident starting out in a new hospital. As an autistic, it was recommended to me as a show with a good representation of autism. I have to agree that it does a good job showing some of the more common autistic traits, even if they're a bit blown up for effect. It's definitely a feel good show with lots of drama but we've enjoyed it. It's not my normal type of show.
Nicolas
Posts: 2865
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: Ashtabula, 56th and Wabasha
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Nicolas »

B.B. King: Live in Africa (1974) — B.B. King singing and playing the blues before 80,000 fans in Kinshasa, Zaire during the three-day music festival held just prior to the “Rumble in the Jungle” world heavyweight championship prize fight between Muhammad Ali & George Foreman. Ali is in the audience. Great show. I streamed it on The Roku Channel.
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 25004
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abuss368 »

Cobra Kai on Netflix.

Enjoying it.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Da5id
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Da5id »

I've been watching Grantchester, the British murder mystery series set in 1950s England. Main character is a Vicar who has an odd friendship with a police detective. Nice mixture of the investigating part as well as quite a bit of character development. First season was very good, there are 5 on Amazon Prime I think.
livelovelaugh00
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

I have been watching 80's sitcom Hunter. I like Sargent Hunter and McCall. I watched some episodes when I was in my own country. Those were translated into my native language. My dad did not want me to watch. He wanted me to study. Now I watched all those episodes! One of the episodes made me realize that the media was bad even in the 80's! I like to see Hunter and McCall chase bad guys and put them in their places. I am very selective to watch newly produced things. Can't stand them. Eighties' are the best years.
Now a days, I really miss Hunter and McCall.
User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by LilyFleur »

Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:02 pm
SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:46 am
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am It seems in recent years the best crime / police dramas are from Europe or even Australia / NZ. It's a shame because it's a genre I enjoy...and am quite picky about.
True. There's not much going on Stateside. I miss Sipowicz!

I've watched pretty much every recent British cop show in the last few year or two, and the offerings are mostly very good, including the corrupt-cop one Line of Duty, which ends its run on BBC on Sunday. Unforgotten, also recently finished, was another goodie - a bit like the CBS drama Cold Case. But there were some real clunkers, including The Bodyguard, Deadwater Fell and most recently the Northern Irish one Bloodlands.

It's a pity there don't seem to be any new Welsh noirs, apart from a new season of Keeping Faith, which I bailed on early in its run. France's gritty Engrenages/Spiral probably went on a season or two past its natural expiry but still surpassed anything over here.
Hear, hear!!! :sharebeer
OK, I will be starting Spiral tonight. I really love French and find it interesting to mentally edit the subtitles (sometimes they include idioms that aren't the best choice). :mrgreen:
My most recent binge was Backström on Acorn. I found it engaging. Somehow, European over-the-top seems better than U.S. over-the-top.
The binge before that was Inspector Lewis on Prime. I liked the characters and enjoyed revisiting places in Oxford.
My 24-year-old thinks I will like Mare. If there's a cop show that I haven't yet watched that's subtitled and set in France, England, Ireland, Sweden, Belgium, Denmark, or Iceland, I'm willing to wait on Mare.
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

"Spiral" is a fun ride. I think you'll enjoy it. It gets a bit out there, but is still a good show.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by SrGrumpy »

LilyFleur wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:01 pm OK, I will be starting Spiral tonight. I really love French and find it interesting to mentally edit the subtitles (sometimes they include idioms that aren't the best choice).
You'll pick up a lot of useful words if you ever find yourself in a French prison. It's not exactly the Paris described in guide books.
LilyFleur wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:01 pmMy most recent binge was Backström on Acorn. I found it engaging. Somehow, European over-the-top seems better than U.S. over-the-top.
The binge before that was Inspector Lewis on Prime. I liked the characters and enjoyed revisiting places in Oxford.
My 24-year-old thinks I will like Mare. If there's a cop show that I haven't yet watched that's subtitled and set in France, England, Ireland, Sweden, Belgium, Denmark, or Iceland, I'm willing to wait on Mare.
I need to find Backstrom and also a Danish serial-killer one Those Who Kill, which was remade with Chloe Sevigny, who I like, but the remake didn't last long. I also like the chap on Inspector Lewis, from his days on Auf Wiedersehen, Pet (on Youtube), but haven't clicked on it yet. Meanwhile, here's a Swedish cop show, mentioned above:
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:25 am It’s called Irene Huss in the US . . . I think you have to sign up for MHz choice in the US. Easy to add on Amazon Prime Video and there’s a free trial. It’s a good steaming service, btw.
User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3912
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Da5id wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:23 pm I've been watching Grantchester, the British murder mystery series set in 1950s England. Main character is a Vicar who has an odd friendship with a police detective. Nice mixture of the investigating part as well as quite a bit of character development. First season was very good, there are 5 on Amazon Prime I think.
We watched it several weeks ago. The character development was terrific. You'll enjoy the rest of the series.
User avatar
DrippingSprings
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by DrippingSprings »

bertilak wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:26 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:14 am
bertilak wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:12 am
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:45 am
DrippingSprings wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:03 am For fans of Breaking Bad you will really like Get Shorty (the TV series, not the movie). Although the plot is different -- a mobster trying to take over the movie industry in Los Angeles -- the rhythm and feel of the series is very much like Breaking Bad. It is well acted and has a sense of humor too.
Available on Amazon Prime.
That wasn't true for us. C'est la vie.
We gave up on it after a few episodes. Can't imitate Elmore Leonard!
Two of my most respected BH posters and I disagree. Oh well, that’s what makes horse races.
I think it is hard to translate a book's plot (a novel) to episodic TV (more like short stories). It worked with Justified but not so well here. Of course Leonard had a lot to do with the Justified TV show.
If you are looking for something that is true to the book, you won't find it in this show. Don't look for that. But, if watched without any such expectations, the show is really good in my opinion.
Nowizard
Posts: 3383
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Nowizard »

Recently, started watching House of Cards which has six seasons. Watched first season which became progressively darker, said we would watch first episode of second season and decide whether to continue. We are not. If there are people who have not had enough of the dark side of politics, it would be of probably interest. The acting is not as good in our opinion as in some other Netflix series, though Kevin Spacey is fine. It has a lot of intrigue, just focused in a topical area we did not wish to pursue further.

Tim
User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 11795
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ResearchMed »

Nowizard wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:27 am Recently, started watching House of Cards which has six seasons. Watched first season which became progressively darker, said we would watch first episode of second season and decide whether to continue. We are not. If there are people who have not had enough of the dark side of politics, it would be of probably interest. The acting is not as good in our opinion as in some other Netflix series, though Kevin Spacey is fine. It has a lot of intrigue, just focused in a topical area we did not wish to pursue further.

Tim
Have you seen the British "House of Cards"?

It's...British, and very good

We should probably watch that again.
As a result of watching this series, DH and I have gotten into the amusing, if possibly overdone, habit of replying to each other...
"You may think that, but I couldn't possibly comment." :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
HENRYGRUGER
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:32 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by HENRYGRUGER »

Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am We have recorded but not yet watched the new Winslet HBO police drama. I was hoping that it might be a refreshing change.

"City on a Hill" season 2 was so bad that even the hilarity that is Kevin Bacon couldn't save it for us. It went beyond woke, to it made me choke.

It seems in recent years the best crime / police dramas are from Europe or even Australia / NZ. It's a shame because it's a genre I enjoy...and am quite picky about.
Over the past few weekends, my wife and I watched all six seasons of Downton Abby. She had never seen it, and I watched it back in 2014/2015. when we were living in different states, for jobs reasons. We have enjoyed it, tremendously!

Another series was Breaking Bad. A strange concept but after watching a few episodes, I was hooked.

Other good series...Hanna...Quantico...anything with Jason Stratham!

If you have HULU...The Hand Maidens Tale.

Another strange concept, but enjoyable series was The Man in The High Castle...and another, Badlands.

And one of my favorites from the History Channel, Vikings!

If you have never seen Sons Of Anarchy, it is a must watch...along with the spin off, Mayans.

Another must see is Ozarks.

Happy Viewing.
SrGrumpy
Posts: 1477
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by SrGrumpy »

HENRYGRUGER wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:52 pm Over the past few weekends, my wife and I watched all six seasons of Downton Abby. She had never seen it, and I watched it back in 2014/2015. when we were living in different states, for jobs reasons. We have enjoyed it, tremendously!
Lady Mary: I'm going upstairs to take off my hat.

Edwardian code?

Well, now you have to watch the Downton movie, and there's a sequel in production, and then visit the castle itself.
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

HENRYGRUGER wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:52 pm
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am We have recorded but not yet watched the new Winslet HBO police drama. I was hoping that it might be a refreshing change.

"City on a Hill" season 2 was so bad that even the hilarity that is Kevin Bacon couldn't save it for us. It went beyond woke, to it made me choke.

It seems in recent years the best crime / police dramas are from Europe or even Australia / NZ. It's a shame because it's a genre I enjoy...and am quite picky about.
Over the past few weekends, my wife and I watched all six seasons of Downton Abby. She had never seen it, and I watched it back in 2014/2015. when we were living in different states, for jobs reasons. We have enjoyed it, tremendously!

Another series was Breaking Bad. A strange concept but after watching a few episodes, I was hooked.

Other good series...Hanna...Quantico...anything with Jason Stratham!

If you have HULU...The Hand Maidens Tale.

Another strange concept, but enjoyable series was The Man in The High Castle...and another, Badlands.

And one of my favorites from the History Channel, Vikings!

If you have never seen Sons Of Anarchy, it is a must watch...along with the spin off, Mayans.

Another must see is Ozarks.

Happy Viewing.
Have seen many on your list. Some thumbs up...some thumbs down. Some seen through to the end...some nipped in the bud.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
stoptothink
Posts: 9470
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by stoptothink »

Blues wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:22 pm
HENRYGRUGER wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:52 pm
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am We have recorded but not yet watched the new Winslet HBO police drama. I was hoping that it might be a refreshing change.

"City on a Hill" season 2 was so bad that even the hilarity that is Kevin Bacon couldn't save it for us. It went beyond woke, to it made me choke.

It seems in recent years the best crime / police dramas are from Europe or even Australia / NZ. It's a shame because it's a genre I enjoy...and am quite picky about.
Over the past few weekends, my wife and I watched all six seasons of Downton Abby. She had never seen it, and I watched it back in 2014/2015. when we were living in different states, for jobs reasons. We have enjoyed it, tremendously!

Another series was Breaking Bad. A strange concept but after watching a few episodes, I was hooked.

Other good series...Hanna...Quantico...anything with Jason Stratham!

If you have HULU...The Hand Maidens Tale.

Another strange concept, but enjoyable series was The Man in The High Castle...and another, Badlands.

And one of my favorites from the History Channel, Vikings!

If you have never seen Sons Of Anarchy, it is a must watch...along with the spin off, Mayans.

Another must see is Ozarks.

Happy Viewing.
Have seen many on your list. Some thumbs up...some thumbs down. Some seen through to the end...some nipped in the bud.
Same. Breaking Bad may be the best show of all-time, Vikings and Ozark are fantastic, but IMO Sons of Anarchy may be the worst TV series I've ever soldiered through more than a single episode of. Kurt Sutter has a history of developing series that have an interesting premise, but are just destroyed with terrible writing. The Bastard Executioner and Mayans share the same cheesy, unbelievable dialogue and nonsensical storylines.
User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 1894
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by LilyFleur »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:32 pm
Blues wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:22 pm
HENRYGRUGER wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:52 pm
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am We have recorded but not yet watched the new Winslet HBO police drama. I was hoping that it might be a refreshing change.

"City on a Hill" season 2 was so bad that even the hilarity that is Kevin Bacon couldn't save it for us. It went beyond woke, to it made me choke.

It seems in recent years the best crime / police dramas are from Europe or even Australia / NZ. It's a shame because it's a genre I enjoy...and am quite picky about.
Over the past few weekends, my wife and I watched all six seasons of Downton Abby. She had never seen it, and I watched it back in 2014/2015. when we were living in different states, for jobs reasons. We have enjoyed it, tremendously!

Another series was Breaking Bad. A strange concept but after watching a few episodes, I was hooked.

Other good series...Hanna...Quantico...anything with Jason Stratham!

If you have HULU...The Hand Maidens Tale.

Another strange concept, but enjoyable series was The Man in The High Castle...and another, Badlands.

And one of my favorites from the History Channel, Vikings!

If you have never seen Sons Of Anarchy, it is a must watch...along with the spin off, Mayans.

Another must see is Ozarks.

Happy Viewing.
Have seen many on your list. Some thumbs up...some thumbs down. Some seen through to the end...some nipped in the bud.
Same. Breaking Bad may be the best show of all-time, Vikings and Ozark are fantastic, but IMO Sons of Anarchy may be the worst TV series I've ever soldiered through more than a single episode of. Kurt Sutter has a history of developing series that have an interesting premise, but are just destroyed with terrible writing. The Bastard Executioner and Mayans share the same cheesy, unbelievable dialogue and nonsensical storylines.
I agree. I was a professional writer and cannot abide poorly written shows (especially since I like subtitles). i need to find Vikings somewhere to stream... my book club said I would like it a while ago but I didn't have whatever service it was on at the time.
JBTX
Posts: 8213
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by JBTX »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:32 pm
Blues wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:22 pm
HENRYGRUGER wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:52 pm
Blues wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am We have recorded but not yet watched the new Winslet HBO police drama. I was hoping that it might be a refreshing change.

"City on a Hill" season 2 was so bad that even the hilarity that is Kevin Bacon couldn't save it for us. It went beyond woke, to it made me choke.

It seems in recent years the best crime / police dramas are from Europe or even Australia / NZ. It's a shame because it's a genre I enjoy...and am quite picky about.
Over the past few weekends, my wife and I watched all six seasons of Downton Abby. She had never seen it, and I watched it back in 2014/2015. when we were living in different states, for jobs reasons. We have enjoyed it, tremendously!

Another series was Breaking Bad. A strange concept but after watching a few episodes, I was hooked.

Other good series...Hanna...Quantico...anything with Jason Stratham!

If you have HULU...The Hand Maidens Tale.

Another strange concept, but enjoyable series was The Man in The High Castle...and another, Badlands.

And one of my favorites from the History Channel, Vikings!

If you have never seen Sons Of Anarchy, it is a must watch...along with the spin off, Mayans.

Another must see is Ozarks.

Happy Viewing.
Have seen many on your list. Some thumbs up...some thumbs down. Some seen through to the end...some nipped in the bud.
Same. Breaking Bad may be the best show of all-time, Vikings and Ozark are fantastic, but IMO Sons of Anarchy may be the worst TV series I've ever soldiered through more than a single episode of. Kurt Sutter has a history of developing series that have an interesting premise, but are just destroyed with terrible writing. The Bastard Executioner and Mayans share the same cheesy, unbelievable dialogue and nonsensical storylines.
I seem to be in the minority here but I mostly enjoyed sons of Anarchy. You just can't take it too seriously. Mayans is not as good, but OK.

Just watched the first 3 episodes of hand maidens tale season 4. I keep thinking the show will falter, but it continues as one of the most dark and emotionally intense dramas I've ever seen.

While I enjoyed breaking bad, I haven't had a great desire to watch it again. I can't exactly say why. I may have enjoyed watching Madmen, Lost and the Wire more the second time through, and I could easily watch them again.

Vikings started off strong, but after several seasons I lost interest, but I finally went back and the last season was more interesting.
User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1872
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by heartwood »

Lured by a NYT review of the movie Bad Trip with Eric Andre that also mentions his multi-year weekly TV show on AdultSwim, I compounded my dissatisfaction with the movie by starting an episode of The Eric Andre Show. Perhaps its the episode I chose to preview s5e8 Bone TV.

Another show that's just not for me. My wife suggests that I not watch any show recommended by the NYT Watching TV critic.

After turning off The Eric Andre Show, I watched two episodes of Law & Order. Lenny was particularly good!
User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 25004
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abuss368 »

We have now finishes season 1, 2, and 3 of Cobra Ki on Netflix. We enjoyed the nostalgia and how the characters were brought back from the movie part 1 and part 2. The crazy kids fighting in homes and public was a stretch but overall liked it.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
marathonwmn
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: West of the Atlantic

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by marathonwmn »

I'm enjoying Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries on Amazon Prime.
The race goes not to the swift, but to those who keep on running. . .
frequentT
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by frequentT »

Crime Show fans: give The Tunnel a try. It is a British-French production with interesting story lines and characters.
sidartvader
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:57 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by sidartvader »

abuss368 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:53 pm We have now finishes season 1, 2, and 3 of Cobra Ki on Netflix. We enjoyed the nostalgia and how the characters were brought back from the movie part 1 and part 2. The crazy kids fighting in homes and public was a stretch but overall liked it.

Tony
+1
MP173
Posts: 2234
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MP173 »

Finished "The Sinner, Season 3".

Obviously we also recently watched Seasons 1 and 2.

Enjoyed all 3 seasons...rumor has it that Harry is retired and will come out of retirement in Season 4 to solve another murder.

Ed
JBTX
Posts: 8213
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by JBTX »

Watched "The first", starring Sean Penn, a mini series on Hulu about astronauts preparing to go to Mars. Not great, but pretty good, I enjoyed it. I'd agree with Rotten Tomatoes 65%.
Jeff Albertson
Posts: 904
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: Springfield

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Rolling Stone magazine's '100 Best Sitcoms of All Time' https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-list ... s-1162237/
You Know What I Mean
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by You Know What I Mean »

I am part-way through the latest Harlan Coben adaptation, The Innocent, on Netflix. I am not enjoying it as much as the earlier ones.

For one thing there, is an uncomfortable amount of violence and bad language, for me. While such things are very relevant to the plot, I could do with a little less and still get the point. Just a matter of taste, I guess.

The other things are the overdubs and the captions on this Spanish series. IMO, the actors doing the overdubs in American English are not very good actors: sometimes they just don’t sound quite right (to me) or convey the appropriate feeling. Related to that, the captions do not correspond exactly to the overdubbed words. (The meanings are similar, but the word choices sometimes differ.) The combination of those things is a little disconcerting or distracting, especially when you are trying to get a handle on all the characters and figure out what’s going on.
User avatar
Matahari
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:09 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Matahari »

Inside No. 9, a BAFTA-winning black comedy anthology series. I began with "A Quiet Night In," which stars Denis Lawson and Oona Chaplin. I've also watched the first episode, "Sardines," which features many actors familiar to followers of Brit TV.

IMO, the less you know, the better the payoff, but here's the descriptive blurb:

From the makers of A League of Gentlemen and Psychoville [neither with which I am familiar], Inside No. 9 presents an anthology of tales of the unexpected. This quirky series invites you into a collection very different Number 9s, where the ordinary and mundane rub shoulders with the extraordinary and macabre. These unpredictable tales feature high comedy and claustrophobic horror by turns, each in a different style from the completely silent, to the deliciously gothic. The only question is - do you dare knock on the door?

Here's a preview of "Sardines": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urrhPYL ... hannel=BBC

Without further ado, here's where you can find episodes:

https://www.hbomax.com/series/urn:hbo:s ... 2_wwEAAATC

And episodes for purchase:

https://www.youtube.com/show/SCaBJckgd9 ... A?season=1
User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1872
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by heartwood »

SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:08 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:03 am
ResearchMed wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:59 am
SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 am Two new excellent cop dramas with foreign female leads here: I just finished a Swedish one called Huss, set in Gothenburg (not sure if available in USA), and have started HBO's Mare of Easttown, starring Kate Winslet as a haggard, Rolling Rock-drinking detective in gloomy SE Pennsylvania.
We couldn't make it through the first episode.
It definitely had potential, but we were very disappointed in, among other things, the acting, including by Winslet.
:annoyed
RM
I was looking forward to it but the NYT reviewer scorched it.
It's not the cheery Kate we know and love (mind you, she got an Oscar for playing a Nazi). Things get better in episode 2. It has 91% on Rotten Tomatoes.
We watched the first several episodes of Mare of Easttown on HBO last night despite the NYT review and comments here. BTW, Dorothy Rabinowitz at the WSJ gave it and Ms. Winslet a decent review.

The first episode was a bit of a struggle, the 2nd better. We'll watch the rest. My quibble is there are too many characters and too many side scenes that don't relate to the main stories. That said, its watchable and better than so, so many series that get raves from the critics that we bail on after a half hour or less. I recommend it.
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

heartwood wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:41 pm
SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:08 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:03 am
ResearchMed wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:59 am
SrGrumpy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 am Two new excellent cop dramas with foreign female leads here: I just finished a Swedish one called Huss, set in Gothenburg (not sure if available in USA), and have started HBO's Mare of Easttown, starring Kate Winslet as a haggard, Rolling Rock-drinking detective in gloomy SE Pennsylvania.
We couldn't make it through the first episode.
It definitely had potential, but we were very disappointed in, among other things, the acting, including by Winslet.
:annoyed
RM
I was looking forward to it but the NYT reviewer scorched it.
It's not the cheery Kate we know and love (mind you, she got an Oscar for playing a Nazi). Things get better in episode 2. It has 91% on Rotten Tomatoes.
We watched the first several episodes of Mare of Easttown on HBO last night despite the NYT review and comments here. BTW, Dorothy Rabinowitz at the WSJ gave it and Ms. Winslet a decent review.

The first episode was a bit of a struggle, the 2nd better. We'll watch the rest. My quibble is there are too many characters and too many side scenes that don't relate to the main stories. That said, its watchable and better than so, so many series that get raves from the critics that we bail on after a half hour or less. I recommend it.
I agree. I actually deleted the episodes I had recorded based upon some reviews here and elsewhere...but the other night the missus and I decided to give it a shot on the HBOMax app on the Fire stick. It's not exceptional, but it's certainly watchable, imho, and better than many. I had a few raised eyebrows...but...that's pretty much normal for me.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Capsu78
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Capsu78 »

"The Other One- The long strange trip of Bob Weir" on Netflix. I'm old enough to have been to 5 or so Grateful Dead band configurations, but never considered myself a Deadhead. However, this documentary was an enjoyable and enlightening view of his roll in the band as the "2nd chair guitar player". A must for deadheads; but also very good background story for those who may not have been attending concerts in the 60's and 70's... a good snapshot in time.
User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 1071
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Erie, PA

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Elsebet »

Currently on Season 1 of "Humans" on Amazon Prime. Enjoying it so far, I especially like seeing Jen from IT Crowd (Katherine Parkinson) in a serious role. Very interesting examination of the role human-like robots will play in relationships of the future.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
User avatar
wabbott
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by wabbott »

Death Valley Days, in anticipation of our upcoming trip to California, including a stopover in Death Valley. Much, much western USA history there.
JBTX
Posts: 8213
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by JBTX »

Watched "Chance" on Hulu. Hugh Laurie plays a nueropsychaitrist. Obviously they were trying to capture some of the magic of House. 2 seasons and it grows progressively more implausible, but almost worth watching just for Hugh Laurie.

Tried a few episodes of "the Witcher" but lost interest.
Post Reply