Suits (for work) - where and what brands?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Suits (for work) - where and what brands?

Post by NYCaviator »

Now that many of us are going back into the office, for those of us who wear suits on a semi-regular basis, where are you buying them and what brands do you prefer?

I've long been a Brooks Brothers customer, but their quality has plummeted in the last couple of years. Does anyone wear Canali, Coppley, or Hickey Freeman, and do you find them worth the price? I don't want to buy anything online, but I'm also loathe to spend $1,500+ for a suit off the rack. With everyone working from home these days, suit prices (like everything else) have gone way up and there are fewer options out there.

I am sure someone will chime in about one of the Jos A Banks buy one suit get the rest of the store free deals, but I wore those back when I started out, and they never fit right and always seemed to fall apart after a year or two. The same for mens warehouse and the cheaper, made in China, brands at Nordstrom.
student

Re: Suits (for work) - where and what brands?

Post by student »

I have good experience with https://www.indochino.com/
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

student wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:09 pm I have good experience with https://www.indochino.com/
How was the fit when you first bought it? I've been skeptical about measuring myself and ordering a suit online.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

I am long retired, but the June sale at Nordstrom was my main source.
gips

Post by gips »

i know a lot about suits, the problem is that there are all sorts of lines within a brand and each offers different levels of quality. so, yes, canali makes good suits and bad suits, as does brooks bros and hickey freeman etc. so it’s hard to just recommend a single brand unless it’s ultraluxury.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

gips wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:35 pm i know a lot about suits, the problem is that there are all sorts of lines within a brand and each offers different levels of quality. so, yes, canali makes good suits and bad suits, as does brooks bros and hickey freeman etc. so it’s hard to just recommend a single brand unless it’s ultraluxury.
A local Norstrom outlet had a couple Canali suits but I wasn't sure if they are one of those brands that makes a line just for outlet stores. Is there one that you've found to be consistently good across the lines?
PNWChris

Post by PNWChris »

I had a great experience going to Nordstrom a couple years back. The sales person definitely worked their magic on me, since I ended up with some new shoes, too, but I don't regret any part of the purchase.

I ended up with a tailored Ted Baker suit and a pair of To Boot New York shoes. It's all a great fit, so I'm comfortable and confident when I put them on. I consistently get complimented when I wear the outfit, which is always nice.

I want to emphasize: tailoring is essential. Tailor everything: the pants, the shirt, the jacket. For years I wondered how some friends always looked great in their outfits. Turns out the secret isn't the gym or genetics -- it's a good tailor.

Disclaimer: I work in tech, so I don't get to wear my suit much. There are likely concerns one would have when buying daily-driver suits that I would overlook only occassionally dressing up.
jackbeagle

Post by jackbeagle »

Entry level Brooks Brothers "346" and their stores have a tailor on-site! Hundreds, not thousands!
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I'm going to look into tailored suits next time I need more. Not because of fit, but because nothing off the rack with minor tailoring lasts long any more.

JT
student

Post by student »

NYCaviator wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:17 pm
student wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:09 pm I have good experience with https://www.indochino.com/
How was the fit when you first bought it? I've been skeptical about measuring myself and ordering a suit online.
This was from about 8-10 years ago. The fit was relatively good and it was very good after a slight alternation, with the cost mostly (if not all) refunded by the company.
Goldwater85

Post by Goldwater85 »

Ditto. Indochino has been shockingly well made for the money. Very first jacket fit poorly across the back but they replaced it no charge.

Even my tailor was surprised at the quality. Order their high end fabrics and the suit is like a better fitting Hickey Freeman for less than half the price.
ellsbebc

Post by ellsbebc »

Suit Supply and Spier Mackey are both quality and more affordable than the brands you listed. Suit Supply is often best reserved for slender builds. My personal preference and aesthetic is S&M.

https://suitsupply.com/en-us/men/suits

https://www.spierandmackay.com/collection/all-suits
jeroly

Post by jeroly »

If you have the time and like to travel (and don’t have pandemic related problems / issues, I.e. in a year or two) consider taking a trip to Hoi An, Vietnam. You can get nice suits made to order, and they will keep your measurements and send more on order from home. It will easily pay for your trip after a few suits and will fit perfectly.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

I buy off-the-rack suits and jackets, online. Most are from Suit Supply. Some are pricier like LBM and Attolini but most of the stuff is SS.

The thing about “tailoring” (most of the time just “alteration”), is that the person doing it needs to know what they’re doing, and the person requesting it needs to know what they’re looking for. Most of the time, those conditions are not satisfied.

And especially the far-East based internet “custom” suiting operations, from the customer making an order, to the measurements they provide, to the translation of those measurements to a pattern (if even that, instead of MTM adjustment), to a person cutting and constructing it…..1 million things can go wrong.

“custom”/“tailored” is as useful a predictor of quality as is good that is “home made”. You definitely don’t want to eat everybody’s cooking. :)

Not to mention at the highest echelon of construction, peoples subjective tastes are different. e.g. British vs Napolese. In the end just buy whatever you think looks good, which will in turn makes you feel good.
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

I don't wear suits for work too often but do keep a decent stable of options for both professional and personal wear. I buy from a local suit shop that has been around since before I was born. They carry Freeman, Canali, Corneliani, Boss, and several other brands. I, like you, loathe spending that much on suits but have regretted every budget purchase I've made so have stuck with higher end options.

One of the biggest reasons I buy from that shop is their ability to tailor suits extremely well. I'm not able to buy off the rack for the most part without a lot of customization. There have been a few occasions where I needed something specific last minute and they've always accommodated me which is appreciated. I can call on my way to the shop and they'll have options laid out for me so I can quickly go through them. I generally dislike shopping and being inside retail establishments so their customer service is worth a bit extra to me.

Shirts, sweaters, ties and shoes are purchased elsewhere.

Agree on Brooks Brothers. They used to fit that middle ground between high end and Jos A Banks very well. It seems like their quality has degraded quickly though. I'd be willing to try Bonobos for a sport jacket in the future as their business casual clothes are pretty good. May be worth a look!
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

2Scoops wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:07 am I don't wear suits for work too often but do keep a decent stable of options for both professional and personal wear. I buy from a local suit shop that has been around since before I was born. They carry Freeman, Canali, Corneliani, Boss, and several other brands. I, like you, loathe spending that much on suits but have regretted every budget purchase I've made so have stuck with higher end options.

One of the biggest reasons I buy from that shop is their ability to tailor suits extremely well. I'm not able to buy off the rack for the most part without a lot of customization. There have been a few occasions where I needed something specific last minute and they've always accommodated me which is appreciated. I can call on my way to the shop and they'll have options laid out for me so I can quickly go through them. I generally dislike shopping and being inside retail establishments so their customer service is worth a bit extra to me.

Shirts, sweaters, ties and shoes are purchased elsewhere.

Agree on Brooks Brothers. They used to fit that middle ground between high end and Jos A Banks very well. It seems like their quality has degraded quickly though. I'd be willing to try Bonobos for a sport jacket in the future as their business casual clothes are pretty good. May be worth a look!
I may have to just suck it up spend more. A few of the menswear stores closer to me closed down due to the pandemic. A few others carry some Canadian brands like Coppley and Jack Victor. I've never tried them, but may be worth a shot. I definitely prefer a slimmer Italian cut, and Canali fits well, but $1700 off the rack is hard to stomach.
Helios

Post by Helios »

I use itailor.com. They use the best materials, and since I order my own exact custom size, they are the quality that I need.
It took some nerve to order the first time, I think I ordered a single shirt.
I now order suits, shirts, shoes, and belts.
Items are supposed to arrive in 6 weeks, usually 4 via dhl.
I am often complimented on my clothing.
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

Mine had to be tailored a bit after I received it. Indochino pays for this. They do have shoes and you can schedule a measuring session.
HenryG

Post by HenryG »

Sid Mashburn. Good quality overall, and different options in level of workmanship/price/etc. I like the Kincaid No. 3 style.
Shops are in ATL, HOU, DAL, DC, LA; occasional road shows; and of course online options.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

PNWChris wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:47 pm I had a great experience going to Nordstrom a couple years back. The sales person definitely worked their magic on me, since I ended up with some new shoes, too, but I don't regret any part of the purchase.

I ended up with a tailored Ted Baker suit and a pair of To Boot New York shoes. It's all a great fit, so I'm comfortable and confident when I put them on. I consistently get complimented when I wear the outfit, which is always nice.

I want to emphasize: tailoring is essential. Tailor everything: the pants, the shirt, the jacket. For years I wondered how some friends always looked great in their outfits. Turns out the secret isn't the gym or genetics -- it's a good tailor.

Disclaimer: I work in tech, so I don't get to wear my suit much. There are likely concerns one would have when buying daily-driver suits that I would overlook only occassionally dressing up.
Does Nordstrom have the personal touch when fitting for suit and adjustments in the current state of COVID19?

I love Nordstrom but without an individualized close and personal fitting and measurement I would wait until this is again permitted.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Brooks Brothers 1818 and bespoke tailors in Asia have been my go-to.

I've been able to get away with blazers, dark jeans, with wingtips/oxfords for the last few years so it's been a while since I've actually had to buy a suit.

Regarding the higher end brands, there's no shame in asking when they have sales, trunk sales, or corporate discounts (usually 10-15%)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

They have several store fronts in NYC where they will measure you and you can see the product.

If your body is not typical in any way a custom measured suit can make a big difference both in appearance and longevity (fabric isn't too tight or too loose). Why not try it and see?

I think exception to Indochino is if you are an industry where peers and clients expect and notice high end clothing. Maybe some advertising or attorney or commercial real estate circles are that way still. If you work in that industry you have to decide how much game you want to play. Definitely a tailored suit would be noticed by those people (in a positive way).
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

I purchased a Canali suit from Nordstorm 2 or 3 years ago and have loved it. Not sure how COVID has affected the tailoring process though.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
WS1

Post by WS1 »

/r/malefashionadvice
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

stimulacra wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:31 pm Brooks Brothers 1818 and bespoke tailors in Asia have been my go-to.

I've been able to get away with blazers, dark jeans, with wingtips/oxfords for the last few years so it's been a while since I've actually had to buy a suit.

Regarding the higher end brands, there's no shame in asking when they have sales, trunk sales, or corporate discounts (usually 10-15%)
I’ve been rolling with blazer, dark jeans, and brooks no iron shirts for a while. If I’m on east coast I wear oxfords, west coast dark trainers, and cowboy boots close to home. Haven’t worn a suit and tie outside a of a funeral since probably 2013.
SmokeyAbe

Post by SmokeyAbe »

http://alaindupetit.com

Amazing prices, solid quality.
Armani

Post by Armani »

Obviously you go to either Saks or an Armani boutique and get a suit made to measure from there. Tom Ford is nice as well. Or, if you’re serious you go to London, Gieves and Hawkes are my guys, and get a bespoke suit. I also like Dege and Skinner and Maurice Sedwell.
MJS

Post by MJS »

If nothing else, your dry cleaner probably has a tailor or seamstress you can pay to take your measurements in inches & millimeters, twice: morning and night. Self-measuring doesn't work. If you go with online, ask what measurements they want.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

401KatGuy

Post by 401KatGuy »

If you happen to be in the NYC area, I've purchased a half-dozen or so in-person from https://www.mysuit.com/ and have been very pleased. I tend to order 2x pants from the same fabric spool, as pants have been what traditionally wore-out first for me, but with the extra pair in rotation I've haven't had any issues with the MySuit suits. I have a number of colleagues that frequent Suit Supply, as well.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

HenryG wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:05 pm Sid Mashburn. Good quality overall, and different options in level of workmanship/price/etc. I like the Kincaid No. 3 style.
Shops are in ATL, HOU, DAL, DC, LA; occasional road shows; and of course online options.
I need to check them out. I went into the store in ATL when I needed a dress shirt in a pinch and was really impressed. I didn't realize they sold suits as well. Do they do alterations in house?
HenryG

Post by HenryG »

NYCaviator wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:31 am
HenryG wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:05 pm Sid Mashburn. Good quality overall, and different options in level of workmanship/price/etc. I like the Kincaid No. 3 style.
I need to check them out. I went into the store in ATL when I needed a dress shirt in a pinch and was really impressed. I didn't realize they sold suits as well. Do they do alterations in house?
Yes, I've had alterations done in house including surgeon cuffs (working sleeve button holes) at a reasonable cost, which I like as a nice touch.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

I'll second the above recommendation of Spier & Mackay. They have a good cut, great fabrics and really great pricing. Many comments about their quality being on par with stuff that is substantially more expensive.

Find yourself an alterations tailor though...it's almost unheard of for an off-the-rack suit to need no tailoring.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

NYCaviator wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:17 pm How was the fit when you first bought it? I've been skeptical about measuring myself and ordering a suit online.
Then don't measure yourself. Go to where you have your suits cleaned and they will probably do it for you for a small fee if not free. Of course you want the person that does the alternations to measure you.
daheld

Post by daheld »

Helios wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:48 am I use itailor.com. They use the best materials, and since I order my own exact custom size, they are the quality that I need.
It took some nerve to order the first time, I think I ordered a single shirt.
I now order suits, shirts, shoes, and belts.
Items are supposed to arrive in 6 weeks, usually 4 via dhl.
I am often complimented on my clothing.
Been ordering itailor shirts for years. Just ordered five more a couple weeks ago. I'm glad to hear you've had good luck with suits, etc. I may just order a suit sometime soonish. The price for shirts has gone up, but if they're the same quality as when I ordered last a few years ago, it's still a great deal.
CoastLawyer2030

Post by CoastLawyer2030 »

Suit Jacket -- Brooks Brothers

Dress Shirts -- Brooks Brothers Non-Iron

Belt -- Allen Edmonds

Pants -- Slacks

Shoes -- Allen Edmonds

I do agree that BB has gone somewhat downhill, but go to the real store (not the outlets) and you should walk out with a suit that lasts you ten years minimum. I also think COVID has reinvented dress attire, and you should be able to get away with jacket and slacks now, which is what I've been opting for (been in the office since last April...don't ask).

And I cannot speak highly enough of about Allen Edmonds. I have three pairs that are six years old. I take long walks in them every day. They honestly look better than when they were new. Cedar shoe trees are the best $25 you can spend.
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

I went from Canali and Zegna suits to Benjamin suits at eHaberdasher
flarf

Post by flarf »

OP, support local and take advantage of living in a city that still has tailors. In Brooklyn: https://www.bindleandkeep.com/pricing-packages

Get some shirts made too.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

flarf wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:39 pm OP, support local and take advantage of living in a city that still has tailors. In Brooklyn: https://www.bindleandkeep.com/pricing-packages

Not to be too pedantic, but those suits are made in Thailand.
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 »

As others have mentioned, but I love Suit Supply. If you learn your size with them, you can usually snag an amazing suit for an insanely low price in January. They usually have a sale in January and sometimes at the end of summer. There have been a few years where they didn't have any sales.

Also, I'm in general, I'm a fan of Ludlow suits from J. Crew, but I'm quite slender, not sure it would be great on someone with a bigger build. Surprisingly the Ludlow series is half-canvassed (or maybe they aren't anymore, been a minute since I bought one.) I know they have other types that fit on bigger people, but I can't comment on the quality for those others.

Since you are a fan of Brooks, I'm guessing you wouldn't like Ludlow suits fwiw. Suit Supply offers a range of tighter to looser suits with various lapel sizes btw. So they could easily a Brooks fan.
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 »

Not sure if your screen name implies you are in New York, but they have a brick and mortar in the city fwiw. I've heard mixed reviews on them, so eh.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

MAKsdad wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:00 pm
flarf wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:39 pm OP, support local and take advantage of living in a city that still has tailors. In Brooklyn: https://www.bindleandkeep.com/pricing-packages

Really easy to assume anything that promises "handmade" "tailored" "custom" suits for <$1000 is going to be outsourced to cheap foreign labor.

Good $$ arb opportunity for Westerners to set up a website, maybe take a few measurements in person, and sending the numbers abroad.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

hunoraut wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:44 am
MAKsdad wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:00 pm

Really easy to assume anything that promises "handmade" "tailored" "custom" suits for <$1000 is going to be outsourced to cheap foreign labor.

Good $$ arb opportunity for Westerners to set up a website, maybe take a few measurements in person, and sending the numbers abroad.
And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I was touting Spier & Mackay above and their prices are so good because they make stuff in China and India. I do think it's disingenuous to call that "local tailoring" though.
flarf

Post by flarf »

Wow. There's no secret about Bindle & Keep suits being made in Thailand, it's right on their website.

NYC is not a cost-effective venue for manufacturing and hasn't been for decades. Even if you could find the talent, which is highly doubtful, the price tag would be pushing five figures.

I think there is a lot of value in seeing a skilled tailor for measurements, fabric selection, and post-production adjustments. People buy custom suits for the details and the fit, and if there's something disingenuous about suggesting a local tailor who can provide that expertise, then rest assured you have my deepest and most heartfelt apologies.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

SmokeyAbe wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:27 pm http://alaindupetit.com

Wow. $39 suit?
student

Post by student »

snailderby wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:16 am
SmokeyAbe wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:27 pm http://alaindupetit.com

Wow. $39 suit?
Yes, Unbelievable even though it is polyester.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

flarf wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:45 am Wow. There's no secret about Bindle & Keep suits being made in Thailand, it's right on their website.

NYC is not a cost-effective venue for manufacturing and hasn't been for decades. Even if you could find the talent, which is highly doubtful, the price tag would be pushing five figures.

I think there is a lot of value in seeing a skilled tailor for measurements, fabric selection, and post-production adjustments. People buy custom suits for the details and the fit, and if there's something disingenuous about suggesting a local tailor who can provide that expertise, then rest assured you have my deepest and most heartfelt apologies.
My issue was the use of the word "tailor" more than anything. A tailor makes clothes. I don't think I would automatically call someone who takes measurements a "tailor".
Thick Planchet

Post by Thick Planchet »

"Does Nordstrom have the personal touch when fitting for suit and adjustments in the current state of COVID19?

I love Nordstrom but without an individualized close and personal fitting and measurement I would wait until this is again permitted."
I will not use Nordstrom right now. They're definitely not the same.
Ask for advice, but do what you think is best. -Greek Proverb
joaquin168q

Post by joaquin168q »

Martin Greenfield

https://greenfieldclothiers.com

They made suits for Brooks Brothers at one time, before Brooks Brothers started their decline.
bagle

Post by bagle »

Another vote for Suit Supply, despite their over-the-tops ads. I sometimes prefer them to my MTM (made-to-measure) suits.

Good natural fiber Italian fabrics, full canvass (rather than cheap fused) construction, and good value. They make both slim and regular fits, so make sure you get what's right for you.