Credit card/change of address

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
brandy

Credit card/change of address

Post by brandy »

To change my address for a credit card, the bill says to use the online form. They want my full social security number, which I do not want to give. Any ideas? I’ll cancel the card first. And if they want me to give SSN for THAT?? Thanks!
galawdawg

Re: Credit card/change of address

Post by galawdawg »

brandy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:17 am To change my address for a credit card, the bill says to use the online form. They want my full social security number, which I do not want to give. Any ideas? I’ll cancel the card first. And if they want me to give SSN for THAT?? Thanks!
Have you called the issuer and asked if you can change your address without providing your SSN?

(By the way, your credit card issuer already has your SSN...so I'm not sure why you would refuse to verify it with them when you are on their secure website and seeking to change your address.)
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

brandy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:17 am To change my address for a credit card, the bill says to use the online form. They want my full social security number, which I do not want to give. Any ideas? I’ll cancel the card first. And if they want me to give SSN for THAT?? Thanks!
Make sure you are on the legitimate website. But if you are logged into the secure online account for the credit card, the have you SSN already on file.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Try sending a secure message once logged into the site,
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

As stated, they have your SSN. Sounds like you don't have an online account setup, so to verify your identity they want your SSN.

Cancel it if you want...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Call them.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

They want to make sure it's you to prevent fraud. Why is that a problem?