[Looking For Activities In Charleston, SC]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Goblue97

[Looking For Activities In Charleston, SC]

Post by Goblue97 »

Good evening. Need some advice for activities to do in and around the Charleston, SC area from locals and travelers. Thanks again.
DoubleComma

Re: Charleston, SC

Post by DoubleComma »

We spent a week in Charleston a few years ago during spring break. Weather was fantastic then.

We had a great time spending a day a Folly Beach. The kids (as did DW & I) search for shark teeth.

A visit to Fort Sumter would be on our short list as well.

Of course just exploring the city was fantastic too.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

At the dock where you catch the ferry to Fort Sumter there is a mothballed aircraft carrier, a destroyer, and a submarine that can be toured.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

vested1 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:20 am At the dock where you catch the ferry to Fort Sumter there is a mothballed aircraft carrier, a destroyer, and a submarine that can be toured.
And this was my favorite thing about my Charleston visit. The much-hyped food did not live up to its billing.
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

Go to Bowen's Island and get some fresh oysters and shrimp. Great atmosphere, on the way to Folly Beach. Great dive.
:sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Charleston area has great beaches, some fantastic golf courses, resorts like Kiawah and Wild Dunes and many historic sites. One of the unique things is its downtown area which is great for shopping, dining and history. I highly recommend the carriage rides which provide a lot of history about Charleston.

Give us some information about your interests and I can be more specific about what to do. My daughter has lived in Charleston for 25 years and we visit regularly so we know the area pretty well.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

tm3 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:44 am
vested1 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:20 am At the dock where you catch the ferry to Fort Sumter there is a mothballed aircraft carrier, a destroyer, and a submarine that can be toured.
And this was my favorite thing about my Charleston visit. The much-hyped food did not live up to its billing.
+1

One of the best military museums you will find anywhere.

https://www.patriotspoint.org/explore/uss-yorktown/
SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver »

Mt Pleasant Pier

Shem Park - Mt Pleasant

The NYTimes does a great "36 hours in Charleston", and is spot-on.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

My favorite part of Charleston is strolling the historic parts, wandering the back alleys, and popping in the antique shops and galleries. We also enjoy some of the quieter beaches. I recall a few other Charleston threads here, including one focused (if not more) on food, if you search. Highly recommend that you stay on the Peninsula within walking distance of the shops and restaurants.

Edit - Found one of the recent threads with food recommendations: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=300500&p=4951350#p4951350
Last edited by caffeperfavore on Wed May 12, 2021 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

I would recommend a walking tour of the downtown peninsula. Much better than a trolley. There are also horse carriage tours if that interests you or if you aren't looking for miles of walking.

We did that the first day we were there and were able to get the "lay of the land" and had a game plan for the rest of the trip.
Topic Author
Goblue97

Re: [Looking For Activities In Charleston, SC]

Post by Goblue97 »

Thanks all for the great advice! We will mostly be walking and occasional cab/ride sharing. Almost forgot to ask about your top 3 restaurants in the area? Thank you again.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Goblue97 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:58 pm Thanks all for the great advice! We will mostly be walking and occasional cab/ride sharing. Almost forgot to ask about your top 3 restaurants in the area? Thank you again.
It is a great walking town. Patriots Point is also good to visit. Lots of shops and art galleries (edit in Charleston proper) Also check out the post office really quick and visit some of the churches. Tons of great restaurants, one we enjoy for lunch is S.N.O.B.

RM
Last edited by Random Musings on Sun May 16, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

We have not ate in downtown restaurants in years but one of our favorites downtown is Magnolias. There is a great restaurant on Isle of Palms called the Boathouse but it is quite a ways from downtown if you do not have transportation.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I’m partial to historic tours particularly historic pub tours. The Ravenel Waterfront Park. White point garden. The historic Market. Pursue the local art galleries. Lots of great dining- Magnolias SNOB Fig- Assuming those all still exists. It’s been a couple years for me. Charleston Grill if you like upscale dining. The angel oak is cool if you’re over in that direction. There’s a lovely garden outside the city called Drayton Hall. Have fun.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

JonnyDVM wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:36 am I’m partial to historic tours particularly historic pub tours. The Ravenel Waterfront Park. White point garden. The historic Market. Pursue the local art galleries. Lots of great dining- Magnolias SNOB Fig- Assuming those all still exists. It’s been a couple years for me. Charleston Grill if you like upscale dining. The angel oak is cool if you’re over in that direction. There’s a lovely garden outside the city called Drayton Hall. Have fun.
Magnolias is still there. Plan to go there this summer. Our kids like Poogan's Porch and Cru Cafe is good too. If you want to go to the beach for a day, go during weekdays and get there reasonably early as parking can be tight.

For a little road trip, can drive to Beaufort SC, a nice little town (not to be confused with Beaufort, NC which is also a nice town)

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ