Is there any free site that provides IQ test and results

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cpadave

Is there any free site that provides IQ test and results

Post by Cpadave »

I am looking for my 12yrs old son to take it. Thanks
sailaway

Re: Is there any free site that provides IQ test and results

Post by sailaway »

Just to have a general idea of what it is, probably. But if you want to do anything with that information, you are probably going to need a formal certificate, which will likely require a more formal, in person evaluation.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

There are loads of online IQ tests, but few are likely to have much validity and most exist to stroke egos.

What are you hoping to learn from having your 12 year old take an IQ test? Is there some club like MENSA or specific program that requires it? If you are worried about learning disabilities, you'd need something more official for diagnostic purposes. If you are interested in scholastic aptitude, you can just have him take an old SAT test (many volumes of past SATs around). There is even national program (Duke Talent Search) that has 7th graders (12 year olds) take the SAT.
Topic Author
Cpadave

Post by Cpadave »

Thanks for the reply. My son is in gifted program and I was just curious to see what is his actual or approximate IQ. I seen some online advertised as free. But I think many will ask for payment at the end. I was wondering if anyone has come across a descent free site.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Cpadave wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:14 pm Thanks for the reply. My son is in gifted program and I was just curious to see what is his actual or approximate IQ. I seen some online advertised as free. But I think many will ask for payment at the end. I was wondering if anyone has come across a descent free site.
I'd just have him take an SAT if you are trying to level set along those lines. Sign him up for the Duke TIP if it's not too late- there are some awards and scholarships it could qualify him for. It's also good practice for taking it later.

Keep in mind that you don't really have a single definitive "IQ" and there are different types of IQ tests that are used for various purposes. Some focus more on visual/spatial abilities, other working memory, and others verbal abilities. A score difference of (+/- 10pts) between tests is not too uncommon. That may not sound like much, but theoretically, that should be fairly substantial difference in abilities.

The most accepted IQ tests are WAIS (for adults) and WISC for children. Both need to be administered by a qualified person (not online), and the publisher would not allow legitimate test materials to be published or taken online. The test materials are priced for professional use (over $1,000)
Last edited by alfaspider on Thu May 06, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

alfaspider wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:17 pm Is there some club like MENSA or specific program that requires it?
Mensa (not an acronym and thus not all-caps) is a society rather than a club. You can take a Mensa admission test relatively inexpensively but the U.S. Mensa reports only pass/fail results and not the numerical score. Another option is to take a Mensa practice test at home, https://www.us.mensa.org/join/mht/ ($9.99). If you take the test on your own, make sure not to exceed the time limit of the test. Otherwise, the result will not be meaningful.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu May 06, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:35 pm
alfaspider wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:17 pm Is there some club like MENSA or specific program that requires it?
Mensa (not an acronym and thus not all-caps) is a society rather than a club. You can take a Mensa test relatively inexpensively but the U.S. Mensa reports only pass/fail results and not the numerical score. Another option is to take a Mensa practice test at home, https://www.us.mensa.org/join/mht/ ($9.99). If you take the test on your own, make sure not to exceed the time limit of the test. Otherwise, the result will not be meaningful.

Victoria
For some reason, I have often seen it written in all caps. But thanks for the correction.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

alfaspider wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:36 pm
Mensa (not an acronym and thus not all-caps) is a society rather than a club. You can take a Mensa test relatively inexpensively but the U.S. Mensa reports only pass/fail results and not the numerical score. Another option is to take a Mensa practice test at home, https://www.us.mensa.org/join/mht/ ($9.99). If you take the test on your own, make sure not to exceed the time limit of the test. Otherwise, the result will not be meaningful.

Victoria
For some reason, I have often seen it written in all caps. But thanks for the correction.
Understand. FYI, from https://www.britannica.com/topic/Mensa-International , "The society was founded in England in 1946 by attorney Roland Berrill and scientist Lance Ware. They chose the word mensa as its name because it means table in Latin and is also reminiscent of the Latin words for mind and month, suggesting the monthly meeting of great minds around a table."

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Cpadave wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:14 pm Thanks for the reply. My son is in gifted program and I was just curious to see what is his actual or approximate IQ. I seen some online advertised as free. But I think many will ask for payment at the end. I was wondering if anyone has come across a descent free site.
did your school test him for admittance into the Gifted Program? If so, you should be able to get a copy of the results.
Dregob

Post by Dregob »

Mensa (not an acronym and thus not all-caps) is a society rather than a club. You can take a Mensa admission test relatively inexpensively but the U.S. Mensa reports only pass/fail results and not the numerical score. Another option is to take a Mensa practice test at home, https://www.us.mensa.org/join/mht/ ($9.99). If you take the test on your own, make sure not to exceed the time limit of the test. Otherwise, the result will not be meaningful.

Victoria

Nothing shuts down a conversation like someone saying "I'm a member of Mensa".
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Dregob wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:24 pm

Victoria

How about the Triple Nine Society- the society of people who think they are too smart for Mensa?
EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy »

Cpadave wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:12 pm I am looking for my 12yrs old son to take it. Thanks
Hello, I am a retired school psychological examiner - I gave individual intelligence tests on a daily basis, and interpreted the results to parents in face to face meetings for many years.

Any free, or any that might charge a fee, internet IQ test is absolutely not valid or close to it.

Any Gifted public school program that I have ever known, has a set of criteria in which the child must meet in order to be accepted in that gifted program - standard procedure. School districts may vary on their criteria, but the one common criteria is the administration of an individual intelligence test - there may well be exceptions. There will be a minimum IQ the child must score to be considered for that program - the minimum score will vary from district to district. In my district it was a full-scale, overall IQ of 130. There was a time YEARS AGO when all children in certain grades were administered a Group intelligence test, i.e. fill in the bubbles test - those were determined to be an invalid measure of overall intelligence. They are not given by public school districts any longer that I know of.

The two individually administered intelligence tests considered most valid today - the Standford Binet Test of Intelligence, and the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children -V (WISC-V) - the administration of either of these can not be done by any lay person, or school personnel who are not qualified to administer and interpret the test.

That said, if your son is in a gifted program I can't imagine you were not required to provide written permission to test him - again standard protocol.
The other possibility I suppose is your son's gifted program is more of an informal program, where specific criteria is not applied for admission - perhaps just a teacher's recommendation, or grades, or standardized test scores. Not right or wrong.

I would find out how this particular gifted program is organized, i.e. formal criteria or informal criteria. What is the criteria? Certainly if he received an intelligence test without your permission, this is not good. My guess is he was not given an individually administered intelligence test like mentioned above or you would have been given a written report of those results.

Schools that offer gifted programs that are more informal in nature, meaning they do not adhere to a set of criteria, one of them being an individually administered IQ test with specific IQ score required - is often a program for high or very high achieving students, which is fine. The point is a high achieving student is not necessarily intellectually superior - which is also just fine. Opposite side, intellectually superior students are not necessarily high achievers for a variety of reasons.

I hope you found this information helpful - stay away from online IQ tests, its not fair to parents or child to have information that possibly make judgements about someone that are not valid.

Evelyn
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

alfaspider wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:33 pm

Victoria

How about the Triple Nine Society- the society of people who think they are too smart for Mensa?
I consider higher IQ scores commendable and enviable, the higher the better. Most of us are average in exercising, if we do it all. We applaud elite athletes and admire Olympic champions. IQ is just another type of a gift.

The OP is interested in his son's IQ. Mensa, but not the Triple Nine Society, provides a convenient and cheap home test.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu May 06, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I am a self-admitted Turbo Idiot, and I crushed both parts of the Mensa test. There is nothing in that test that measures intelligence.....

My wife was a school psychologist. A big part of her job was diagnostic and IQ texting. Ask your school if they will do it. It would be more valid......
sport

Post by sport »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:35 pm but the U.S. Mensa reports only pass/fail results and not the numerical score.
They gave me my scores when I took their two tests. However that was many years ago.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

sport wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:42 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:35 pm but the U.S. Mensa reports only pass/fail results and not the numerical score.
They gave me my scores when I took their two tests. However that was many years ago.
Mensa has changed its policy relatively recently for two reasons. First, some people were taking an inexpensive Mensa test instead of an expensive test with a psychologist, without an intention to join Mensa. Second, Mensa wanted to discourage its members from comparing their scores.

Victoria
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

A little over a decade ago, I tried various methods of trying to get something like an "IQ" result for myself, as an adult. In part, I wanted to see if and how much I may have "slipped" with age since testing back in my school days.

I tried both a paper 'n pencil test I'd bought at a bookstore, and some online tests, including at least one that I paid for.

I was generally unimpressed with the quality of the results. There was little that reassured me the tests were well calibrated, and I was also not so impressed with at least some of the questions/test design.

Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend these approaches, though it's at least possible there are better sites now than back then.

===

My kids, 2 now in college, 1 in HS (so a bit older than yours, but not too much), DID receive various testing in/connected to school and/or summer programs. Some was basically automatic (given to all kids), some was more driven because they were quite bright and/or we asked as parents. Most of what they got, from ~4th grade on, came back in percentiles (50% is middle of the pack), not on an IQ scale (100 is middle of the pack), but there were at least some IQ/IQ scale tests when they were younger (around grades 2-5).

In 7th grade, they each took a regular (i.e. designed mainly for HS juniors/seniors) ACT test, primarily to qualify for Duke TIP. There are/were tables that you can do various comparisons/projections off of, with this 7th grade result.

That said, I *think* Duke TIP is largely or entirely a COVID casualty and not coming back in its prior form, if at all. Johns Hopkins CTY is a similar program that I think HAS survived, and Davidson is a somewhat similar program, out of Nevada.

For a while the ACT folks had various levels of "pre-ACT" type tests (ACT Explore, ACT Aspire), sort of competing with the PSAT, but aimed at even younger kids (~middle school and up). But I'm not sure if these are still around.

If you truly want an old-school IQ (or IQ-style) test, with a 100 midpoint, then you might start by asking your kid's school counselor/testing coordinator about it, and if that leads nowhere, perhaps checking around with local private-practice child psychologists.
leeks

Post by leeks »

These are useful reference:
https://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm
https://www.hoagiesgifted.org/why_test.htm

Free or paid, it will not be valid or useful to do an online IQ test. Your child would need to go in person to a psychologist for an IQ test. If you can't do it through your school district (and some parents are dissatisfied with the quality of testing through school staff), you can pay to test privately. I was just quoted about $400 to do it in VA at a private practice of family psychologists.

Parents of gifted children advise that you find a psychologist who has had a lot of experience with gifted kids (not just one or two ever) to ensure the testing is done appropriately for a child who deviates significantly from the normal range. Having the score result can provide access to enrichment courses, summer programs, specialty schools, etc. Although some of those will take other types of tests results as well. The John's Hopkins Center for Talented Youth, for example, is piloting acceptance of a wider range of qualification tests to access their programming this year. https://cty.jhu.edu/talent/testing/testing-pilot.html

Davidson Young Scholars offers family support and networking for children who are profoundly gifted (at least three standard deviations above the norm). They accept a few different tests: IQ, achievement, or college placement like SAT. Potential access to that program is one reason we are considering having our oldest child's IQ tested. https://www.davidsongifted.org/gifted-p ... d-testing/

One of the things you can do online is achievement testing which simply tells you what your child has already mastered relative to other US children. One of them that is easy and affordable to do online is the NWEA MAP which many school districts use to measure individual student growth each year. It is adaptive and designed to determine a child's level even if they might be far above or below their grade level. My temporarily-pandemic-homeschooled 1st grader did NWEA MAP reading/math/science tests via an online proctor ("Homeschoolboss"). It gives you results relative to national norms. So you could see, for example, that your child's current math skills are typical of a median Xth grader or a 95th percentile Nth grader. I will have him do them again this summer as one (imperfect) way of documenting his academic progress during homeschool this year. In our case, the MAP scores were also helpful to demonstrate to my spouse how far of a disconnect there is between our child's skills and the public school curriculum. It helped me make the case to try a private school next year instead of sending him back to an inadequate public gifted program. $60 for math and reading https://homeschoolboss.com/
Last edited by leeks on Thu May 06, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Former "gifted" kid here. IQ numbers are not helpful and may be harmful depending on what you do with them. I understand the curiosity but IQ tests don't measure what most folks think they do.

Suggest you encourage your child to pursue interests and meet others who share them without regard to codified measures of general intelligence.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

"Gifted child" myself.... and now my two daughters have that designation...

If money is no object and covid goes away... I really enjoyed the Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Younth summer camp programs.

https://cty.jhu.edu/

Hopefully i can send my children when they get to that age.

Skip the IQ test, it doesn't do anything, unless your taking it for a specific reason..
Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®) -- However I am not your advisor.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Big Dog wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:42 pm
did your school test him for admittance into the Gifted Program? If so, you should be able to get a copy of the results.
There is nearly zero chance any school in 2021 would use an IQ test to screen for gifted programs.
Soon2BXProgrammer

psteinx wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:10 pm Johns Hopkins CTY is a similar program that I think HAS survived
From the CTY alumni call i was on a week or so ago, i think CTY will survive. They already had a lot of online programs, and they have a large donor base in their alumni, I expect the summer programs to come back.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I can't speak to the free versions online. My impression was that "the" actual IQ test (Stanford-Binet) is a clinical tool that is supposed to be administered in person by a psychologist. Comments upthread seem to support this.
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu May 06, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

dukeblue is presumably alluding to concerns about "equity" and that gifted programs, generally, seem more under attack of late than they were even, say, five years ago.

That's likely true, but varies by region of the country, school district, etc.

That said, there are ways a parent can supplement their bright kid's academic opportunities that don't necessarily depend on offerings directly from the school district. Some of these can be fairly expensive (summer academic gifted programs), but some can be cheap or free (online resources, books, or simply programs/courses of study designed by the parents themselves).
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Of note, while MANY in-person summer programs for kids are limited or cancelled for this summer, CTY has a robust set of online offerings. I can't comment to their quality, yet, but my HS daughter will, I think, be using their online math offerings starting in the fall...
leeks

Post by leeks »

deleted
Last edited by leeks on Thu May 06, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flannelbeard

Post by Flannelbeard »

Tamarind wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:35 pm Former "gifted" kid here. IQ numbers are not helpful and may be harmful depending on what you do with them. I understand the curiosity but IQ tests don't measure what most folks think they do.

Suggest you encourage your child to pursue interests and meet others who share them without regard to codified measures of general intelligence.
Same. Took me years to unwind all that crap that you get fed as a "gifted kid." I wish adults had just left me alone.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Parents (especially, but not only, those with strong financial resources) have a wide variety of levers they can use to help their kids, educationally.

Some of those levers may be available THROUGH their kids' schools (but may be influenced by the parents), and some outside of it, or in a different school if that's a possibility.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

psteinx wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:45 pm dukeblue is presumably alluding to concerns about "equity" and that gifted programs, generally, seem more under attack of late than they were even, say, five years ago.

That is true too, but mainly I meant that there are better assessments for academic performance than IQ. Honestly I've never known anyone who has taken a real IQ test my entire life, and I was in plenty of honors programs through school. Yet, and I mean no offense to BHers, I find that older Americans talk about it all the time. It's just not something that is prevalent anymore.

Colleges are widely abandoning mandatory SAT and ACT testing for many of the same reasons.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:39 pm "Gifted child" myself.... and now my two daughters have that designation...
Considering the salaries mentioned on this board, I would assume that the majority of us were labeled as "gifted" as children. I don't recall ever taking any sort of formal IQ test to be accepted into the gifted and talented education (GATE) program when I was a kid, and it wasn't a part of the process for both of my kids (simply a combination of teacher recommendation and performance on the standardized testing everybody does).
JPH

Post by JPH »

Taking an IQ test can be fun and might satisfy a curiosity that many people have. However, the results can be a bit opaque. E.G. Boring once said something like, "Intelligence is whatever the IQ test measures." That's a flippant remark, but there are many different tests. It's not always easy to distinguish among tests of memory, aptitude, achievement, and general intelligence. And all the scores come with a standard deviation and an imperfect reliability coefficient. I trained as a clinical psychologist before entering a different career. We never disclosed the raw IQ scores to parents. Not for fear of any harm, but given the above, it's just a lot more useful for them to receive information they can actually use in planning their child's educational program. As a predictor of success in life, I would say it is not very useful. I'm not sure I would even want my parent to know my IQ score. Why should they have it?
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Soon2BXProgrammer

stoptothink wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:52 pm
Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:39 pm "Gifted child" myself.... and now my two daughters have that designation...
Considering the salaries mentioned on this board, I would assume that the majority of us were labeled as "gifted" as children. I don't recall ever taking any sort of formal IQ test to be accepted into the gifted and talented education (GATE) program when I was a kid, and it wasn't a part of the process for both of my kids (simply a combination of teacher recommendation and performance on the standardized testing everybody does).
I took the SAT in 7th grade and tested in the top 2% to be accepted into the JHU CTY program.... Now all kids take the state based standardized tests, my children (for their grade) scored off the charts.. so then they where invited back to take the "cogat screener"

This was a test prep book my 2nd grader looked at so that she would know what to expect. (she is brilliant, but doesn't like surprises)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0997943998/
leeks

Post by leeks »

dukeblue219 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:44 pm
psteinx wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:45 pm dukeblue is presumably alluding to concerns about "equity" and that gifted programs, generally, seem more under attack of late than they were even, say, five years ago.

That is true too, but mainly I meant that there are better assessments for academic performance than IQ. Honestly I've never known anyone who has taken a real IQ test my entire life, and I was in plenty of honors programs through school. Yet, and I mean no offense to BHers, I find that older Americans talk about it all the time. It's just not something that is prevalent anymore.

Colleges are widely abandoning mandatory SAT and ACT testing for many of the same reasons.
I think by "older" people, dukeblue219 you are probably observing parents whose children have already been through school. IQ tests are still prevalent (although there is a lot of negative public/political sentiment about them for sure). I am guessing you don't have school-aged children yet. It is parents and schools who use the information from IQ tests, not their children. Parents don't typically tell their children the IQ test results or make a big deal out of when they are tested. The children are often not aware that an activity they did once was an IQ test. Children who have full educational or neuropscych evaluations are given IQ tests and many children assessed for special education needs have them. Researchers who study children's brains use them. Some private schools use them for admission. Many gifted elementary programs and enrichment/summer programs accept IQ scores among among other test options for admission. In Pennsylvania, for example, a qualifying IQ score gives a child a right to a "Gifted Individualized Education Plan" (other methods of qualification are also accepted). Some public schools who screen every elementary child for giftedness use an easier-to-administer test that is a proxy for a full IQ test - something like KBIT which yields a "quick estimate of intelligence". They may also use achievement scores like state math and reading tests as screeners or as a stand-alone qualifier. Some public gifted programs still do require an actual IQ test like the WISC - given to the children identified by a screener test to confirm eligibility for gifted services. And maybe there are even more districts that have no gifted programming of any kind in elementary. There is tons of variety across the country, but IQ scores are very much still in the mix.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:40 pm
alfaspider wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:33 pm

Victoria

I consider higher IQ scores commendable and enviable, the higher the better. Most of us are average in exercising, if we do it all. We applaud elite athletes and admire Olympic champions. IQ is just another type of a gift.

The OP is interested in his son's IQ. Mensa, but not the Triple Nine Society, provides a convenient and cheap home test.

Victoria
There's nothing wrong if you want to join a club for people with high IQs, and nobody is saying that having one is a bad thing. But joining Mensa is a bit different from simply having high skill in some human endeavour. I'm not aware of a formal "4 minute mile" or "800lb raw deadlift" type club that is analogous.