Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JV
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by JV »

Greetings, my fellow BHs,

I live in Western NY (WNY), and have for the past 27 years. As time has gone by, my disdain for this area has grown more severe each year, mainly because of the horrid weather. It's May 5 and I'm still in a sweatshirt and sleeping in flannel sheets, and have been since last Oct. It's not the WNY weather alone, it's all the northeast, as coworkers and friends often feel the same who live in this zone. I don't enjoy cold-weather activities (e.g. skiing, etc.); I actually hate the feeling of being cold. Perhaps my body is just getting less and less acclimated, who knows.

"So just move," you say? The issue is that we've carved out a life here and make very good money, on track to retire in early to mid-50's with a pension for my wife, plus our kids are mid-to-late teens who will either graduate or will in a couple of years. My wife and I often discuss her leaving work early, moving, and me continuing to work, primarily for health benefits. Lots of changes are coming with my kids in the next couple of years, but I am finding that I just can't handle the weather anymore. By the gods, I just want to open a damn window! :oops:

I was mainly just curious if others are or have been in this boat, and what you have done to mitigate those feelings. The pandemic nixed travel all of last year, plus we are trapped within a school calendar, so traveling together has not been easy. I honestly may just escape for a week or two in the winter, alone if I have to.

Suggestions? Sorry for this sounding like a "vent" post. I'm honestly just searching for ideas.
ponyboy
Posts: 1094
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:39 am

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by ponyboy »

Do what my in laws do...snowbird for 2 months each year. They live in northeast PA, snowbird to FL.

I personally like the seasons. Cold weather doesnt bother me. 90 degrees with high humidity does, but I still deal with it in PA. You havent felt heat until you are in ft lauderdale mid july. I thought it gets humid in PA, lol.
Last edited by ponyboy on Thu May 06, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sailaway
Posts: 3272
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by sailaway »

I lived in WNY once, I live in SoCal now. The only thing I miss is a full moon shining on fresh fallen snow. Knowing my luck it would be cloudy and the snow would be gray slush, so I don't try.

Is it worse right now because you haven't taken a vacation in awhile? (And because it was a long, miserable winter)

It sounds like the kids are old enough that there is no reason to limit travel to the school year. Take your wife someplace and leave the kids behind next Fall.
User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 6691
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by RickBoglehead »

It's proven that people that live in certain areas can experience a feeling of malaise during periods of the year. Here in Michigan, there is a huge part of the year that is simply GRAY. While Seattle gets a bad rap as #1, Western NY and then parts of Ohio and Michigan come in right behind.

As a result of that and winter, we are planning on moving south for retirement, as early as this year.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
squirm
Posts: 3446
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by squirm »

That's why my wife's family moved away from the Midwest. The cold was just too much. I think it also depends on your age. Her dad could handle the cold when he was young, but once he was older, it got to him.

Anyways that's why home prices are always elevated where the weather is mild.
Tribonian
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:33 am

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by Tribonian »

Every winter I lived in New England, I swore I’d move until I finally did. Loved everything else about living there.
Dottie57
Posts: 10007
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by Dottie57 »

ponyboy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 am Do what my in laws do...snowbird for 2 months each year. They live in northeast PA, snowbird to FL.
This.


I don’t love winter. But I have hobbies that can occupy me. I live in Minnesota. Love having 3 vibrantly different seasons. I would hate living further south - heat and humidity bother me more than winter.
Topic Author
JV
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by JV »

ponyboy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 am Do what my in laws do...snowbird for 2 months each year. They live in northeast PA, snowbird to FL.
We would, but again, we're trapped in a school year, as 3 folks in my household either work for or go to school. That is an option if my wife retires early, however.
JV wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 am You havent felt heat until you are in ft lauderdale mid july. I thought it gets humid in PA, lol.
Agreed! I'm not a hot/humid fan myself. That's why we're eyeing retirement in CA or out West somewhere.
sailaway wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 am Is it worse right now because you haven't taken a vacation in awhile? (And because it was a long, miserable winter)
Perhaps it's worse at this moment, but I've felt this way for a long time. I've been trying to add hobbies and more areas of interest that I can do inside, but that only goes so far.
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:38 am Here in Michigan, there is a huge part of the year that is simply GRAY. While Seattle gets a bad rap as #1, Western NY and then parts of Ohio and Michigan come in right behind.
Yep, the grayness of this place is the primary issue, besides the cold. It's Seattle without the rain.
ScooterBob
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by ScooterBob »

I'm in the same boat. I hate, hate, hate winter....my wife doesn't mind it and all her family is here. I'm working on at least getting her to think about the idea of heading somewhere warm in the winter (as a start). Wasting 6-8 months of life each year is becoming more stupid as I get older. Most neighbors and friends tell me that they could live in a cave so the weather doesn't matter to them either way. I've witnessed our neighborhood completely empty even on an 80 degree sunny day... I'll be interested to hear others thoughts too.

Bob
ponyboy
Posts: 1094
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:39 am

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by ponyboy »

I would just hold off until your kids are out of high school. When in college, you wont have to worry too much about their living situation. That would be the time to start snowbirding, or move.

CA is of course the sweet spot, but, well, its CA.
Rdytoretire
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:23 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by Rdytoretire »

There are only a few places in this country where the weather is "good" year round. Most places it's a matter of pick your poison. Although I don't like winter weather here in the midwest I'll gladly put up with it rather than live through 6 months of unrelenting heat and/or humidity that those in Florida or Arizona may experience.

Although if you live somewhere like Buffalo or in the snowbelt, all that snow would surely make me want to move. I don't care much for walking or driving on snow and ice.
Last edited by Rdytoretire on Thu May 06, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 25278
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by willthrill81 »

ponyboy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 am I personally like the seasons. Cold weather doesnt bother me. 90 degrees with high humidity does, but I still deal with it in PA. You havent felt heat until you are in ft lauderdale mid july. I thought it gets humid in PA, lol.
Ditto that. We love having four real seasons in eastern WA. And we also love not breathing hot soup for half the year like we did in the Southeast. Now, our humidity in the summer is typically around 20%, so even 95F in the shade feels remarkably comfortable.
Last edited by willthrill81 on Sun May 09, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
User avatar
JoeRetire
Posts: 8315
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by JoeRetire »

JV wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 am "So just move," you say? The issue is that we've carved out a life here and make very good money, on track to retire in early to mid-50's with a pension for my wife, plus our kids are mid-to-late teens who will either graduate or will in a couple of years. My wife and I often discuss her leaving work early, moving, and me continuing to work, primarily for health benefits.
No locale is perfect. We all make tradeoffs among the various factors of our lives.
I suspect if you wanted it badly enough, you would move to a locale with a climate you preferred and find a way to carve out a life there.

I live in Maine. I love having four seasons, although I'd be happy to trade a bit of winter for a bit more summer.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
ponyboy
Posts: 1094
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:39 am

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by ponyboy »

If you have the pocket, owning two homes is probably the way to go, if you hate weather so much.

We went to jacksonville last feb. Ive never been to FL then, only in July. The weather was amazing in Feb. 50s-70s and almost no humidity. It was a different place during that time. I could live in FL from Dec-May without any issues.
hi_there
Posts: 875
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:00 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by hi_there »

Well, I will say that I would prefer to live in a place with long winters than perpetual heat and humidity, such as in parts of India, South America, Southeast Asia, and so on. You can always put on a coat if you are cold, but there isn't much you can do at 90 degrees and 100% humidity, other than just stay indoors.
runner3081
Posts: 4219
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by runner3081 »

In the past, yes.

We lived a few miles north of Seattle and left nearly 9-years ago for Arizona. Primary reason was overcrowding, a very close second was weather.

Happy with weather in AZ, but summer can be a little annoying when the heat drags on. But really, you work out in the AM and go from AC car to AC house to AC work, so not a huge issue.

Well worth waking up to sun nearly every single day of the year.
alfaspider
Posts: 3695
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by alfaspider »

In Houston, mostly just June through September. The heat is oppressive, and you always have to have one weary eye on the Gulf of Mexico for a possible hurricane. Rest of the year, the weather is mostly pleasant.

Someday, when I no longer have any constraints from kids/work, I may do a reverse snowbird thing and live in Colorado during the summer.
Last edited by alfaspider on Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigermilk
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:32 am

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by tigermilk »

July, August, and most of September really take a toll on me here in the Houston area. Walking from the parking lot at work to my office would make me drenched from the heat and humidity. One nice thing about COVID and remote work has been less time outside in the summer. We are thinking of reverse snowbirding co e retirement. The rest of the year we love it here. In normal times the arts and food scene is incredible. Very few cities we can think of in the US that would compare in those 2 areas.
tchoupitoulas
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by tchoupitoulas »

Have you heard of Wim Hof? Your saying that your body hates the feeling of being cold made me think of him. He is a kind of guru who believes that you can adapt your body to cold weather and that when you do it is amazingly envigorating and rejuvenating. I haven't tried his methods but he was written up in the WSJ recently so he's not some crank. (Or at least not a total crank). I live in Wisconsin so maybe I'll give it a shot myself!
Independent George
Posts: 1281
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by Independent George »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 am
ponyboy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 am I personally like the seasons. Cold weather doesnt bother me. 90 degrees with high humidity does, but I still deal with it in PA. You havent felt heat until you are in ft lauderdale mid july. I thought it gets humid in PA, lol.
Ditto that. We love having four real seasons in eastern WA. And we also love breathing hot soup for half the year like we did in the Southeast. Now, our humidity in the summer is typically around 20%, so even 95F in the shade feels remarkably comfortable.
Me, three; desert or high desert is high on my list, but you'd have to force me at bayonet point to move to the southeast.

My order of preference for places to retire goes:
1. Proximity to an decently-sized airport.
2. No humidity.
3. Low-to-moderate housing/taxes/cost of living

It's funny how revealed preferences go, because when I first started thinking of it, cost of living was #1. Then I started actually doing the work of planning, and started plugging in numbers; in practice, I realized I'd pay significantly more for #s 1 & 2.

The Spokane area is a possible location. Vegas was my leading contender until all the CA people moved there to escape the pandemic, and drove up property prices. Nashville was high on the list until I visited there in the summer (and they similarly had a recent influx of people).
Colorado13
Posts: 1204
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by Colorado13 »

I lived in the upper Midwest MUCH too long. It was cloudy typically from November to March and I was impacted by the lack of sun. I couldn't tough it out and get over it; it was truly depressing despite me having a very active lifestyle. As a bonus, summer was humid and mosquito filled. It was kind of the worst of both worlds (summer/winter.)

You literally couldn't pay me enough to return. Life is too short to be that unhappy. It sounds like you are fine with trading money for unpleasant weather; that's certainly your choice. There are always risks and trade offs.

I now live in Colorado, which is becoming expensive and crowded. Some people don't love having high temperatures of 85 and 40-something in the same week (which occurred here this week). I love all four seasons and thrive in the sun, with low humidity. It's not for everyone, to be sure. To me, it's usually fabulous. The weather is varied and often not extremely hot or extremely cold. Heaven...

It's an understatement to say that no place is perfect.
Last edited by Colorado13 on Thu May 06, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JediMisty
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 am
Location: Central NJ

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by JediMisty »

JV wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 am Greetings, my fellow BHs,

I live in Western NY (WNY), and have for the past 27 years. As time has gone by, my disdain for this area has grown more severe each year, mainly because of the horrid weather. It's May 5 and I'm still in a sweatshirt and sleeping in flannel sheets, and have been since last Oct. It's not the WNY weather alone, it's all the northeast, as coworkers and friends often feel the same who live in this zone. I don't enjoy cold-weather activities (e.g. skiing, etc.); I actually hate the feeling of being cold. Perhaps my body is just getting less and less acclimated, who knows.

"So just move," you say? The issue is that we've carved out a life here and make very good money, on track to retire in early to mid-50's with a pension for my wife, plus our kids are mid-to-late teens who will either graduate or will in a couple of years. My wife and I often discuss her leaving work early, moving, and me continuing to work, primarily for health benefits. Lots of changes are coming with my kids in the next couple of years, but I am finding that I just can't handle the weather anymore. By the gods, I just want to open a damn window! :oops:

I was mainly just curious if others are or have been in this boat, and what you have done to mitigate those feelings. The pandemic nixed travel all of last year, plus we are trapped within a school calendar, so traveling together has not been easy. I honestly may just escape for a week or two in the winter, alone if I have to.

Suggestions? Sorry for this sounding like a "vent" post. I'm honestly just searching for ideas.
Originally a Florida native, I've suffered thru winters in central NJ since 1984. I'm retiring this year someplace warmer with lower SALT. I feel your pain. Before COVID I took multiple vacations each year, mostly in the winter, fall, or spring. Of course, sometimes outgoing or incoming flights were cancelled due to snow. Sigh. If you must, take a week away without the family. Also, I think there are lights designed to help with the "winter blues".
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 25278
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by willthrill81 »

Independent George wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:21 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 am
ponyboy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 am I personally like the seasons. Cold weather doesnt bother me. 90 degrees with high humidity does, but I still deal with it in PA. You havent felt heat until you are in ft lauderdale mid july. I thought it gets humid in PA, lol.
Ditto that. We love having four real seasons in eastern WA. And we also love breathing hot soup for half the year like we did in the Southeast. Now, our humidity in the summer is typically around 20%, so even 95F in the shade feels remarkably comfortable.
Me, three; desert or high desert is high on my list, but you'd have to force me at bayonet point to move to the southeast.

My order of preference for places to retire goes:
1. Proximity to an decently-sized airport.
2. No humidity.
3. Low-to-moderate housing/taxes/cost of living

It's funny how revealed preferences go, because when I first started thinking of it, cost of living was #1. Then I started actually doing the work of planning, and started plugging in numbers; in practice, I realized I'd pay significantly more for #s 1 & 2.

The Spokane area is a possible location. Vegas was my leading contender until all the CA people moved there to escape the pandemic, and drove up property prices. Nashville was high on the list until I visited there in the summer (and they similarly had a recent influx of people).
We live near Spokane and absolutely love the area (though not the city itself so much). It's an outdoor lovers Mecca, and you can fly to about 18 airports from GEG. Housing prices have increased dramatically over the last six years though. Our home has nearly doubled in value over that time; according to the WSJ, Spokane is ranked as the 5th hottest emerging real estate market in the country, and nearby Coeur d'Alene in Idaho is #1. Of course, home affordability is highly relative; people moving here from CA and Seattle think that housing in the area is still cheap and are routinely making cash offers for well above asking price sight unseen and with no contingencies.

And of course, living in a state without an income tax is a nice bonus.
Last edited by willthrill81 on Thu May 06, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
jpelder
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:56 pm
Location: Concord, NC

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by jpelder »

I like the weather here in central North Carolina. I grew up in South Alabama (with the "Three H's": heat, humidity, and hurricanes), went to grad school and met my wife in NW Ohio (with the 6 month "perma-cloud" and more snow and ice than I'd seen in my life before), then moved to North Carolina. We get all 4 seasons, complete with 1 or 2 snowfalls per year (where everything shuts down and you don't have to shovel your sidewalk at 5 AM). The allergy situation isn't great, but life always has tradeoffs.

We have lots of snowbird "halfbacks" around here: people from the Midwest and similar snowy locales who moved to Florida, only to discover that tropical paradise got boring, and moved "half-back" to the North.
edgeagg
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 pm
Location: WA-US

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by edgeagg »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 am Ditto that. We love having four real seasons in eastern WA. And we also love breathing hot soup for half the year like we did in the Southeast. Now, our humidity in the summer is typically around 20%, so even 95F in the shade feels remarkably comfortable.
Woohoo! Willthrill81 is a Washingtonian too! I live in Western WA, and gray lasts from Nov to July. BUT you can always escape over the pass to eastern WA where it can be sunny much earlier or into the mountains which can be above the clouds. I've found that being outside in winter is the only way I can stay sane, it rarely gets below freezing in the Puget Sound area so being outside isn't that hard.
JS-Elcano
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:29 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by JS-Elcano »

Dottie57 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:43 am I don’t love winter. But I have hobbies that can occupy me. I live in Minnesota. Love having 3 vibrantly different seasons. I would hate living further south - heat and humidity bother me more than winter.
I love it here in the central part of the west coast of FL, but the summers are very humid, especially if we have a strong hurricane season and a few tropical storms move through. BUT, this is only in the summer and this is when I travel anyway and will keep doing so in retirement, so I don't mind. Also, there are seasonal changes here, it's just that we are looking forward to fall, winter and spring and figure out our own ways of how best to get through summer by doing more things indoors, socializing in the evenings, or traveling. As unpleasant summer can be, three nice seasons beats one good season in my book. I must say, I would not want to live in south Florida because the hot humid season is just too long and hotter, more humid than along the coasts further north.
iamlucky13
Posts: 2470
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by iamlucky13 »

Since you've got a few more years before you can move without disrupting your current plans, it sounds to me like you should focus in the interim on mitigation.

Does your house stay comfortable? If not, look for practical improvements - if major upgrades of insulation, weather sealing and the heating system are out of the budget, what about simpler measures like improving a single room as a more comfortable place at home. Also, might brighter and whiter lighting help your mood? Maybe it's worth looking at some of the symptoms and treatments for seasonal affective disorder.

The same for clothing. I realized I too often restrict my outdoor activities during the winter because I have a long-established habit of both being cheap about clothing, and disliking wearing heavier clothing. I started working on breaking those habits this year and it has helped me, I think both because of the opportunity to do more activities comfortably, and because of getting more exercise helping my mood. I know in your area, that won't be enough in the heart of winter, but at least reduce the discomfort at the worst of times, and try to achieve actual comfort outdoors at least during the shoulder season.

Is it practical to get away from time to time (more than you currently do) during the winter?

Also, do you think social isolation during the pandemic might be making winter harder for you than normal? Take hope that we are closing in on getting back to normal!
stoptothink
Posts: 9469
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by stoptothink »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:37 pm
The same for clothing. I realized I too often restrict my outdoor activities during the winter because I have a long-established habit of both being cheap about clothing, and disliking wearing heavier clothing. I started working on breaking those habits this year and it has helped me, I think both because of the opportunity to do more activities comfortably, and because of getting more exercise helping my mood. I know in your area, that won't be enough in the heart of winter, but at least reduce the discomfort at the worst of times, and try to achieve actual comfort outdoors at least during the shoulder season.
My wife has Reynaud's Syndrome and basically sheltered herself indoors for 6-months a year here in Utah. She invested in good winter clothing and now we do things year around, including hundreds of miles of snow shoeing each winter season. Really changed her perspective on the weather here.
forgeblast
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by forgeblast »

YEP!! Northeast PA, the winters wear on me. Or I should Say Feb and March do. I love summers here, I love fall and spring, but winter....that just wears me down.
Hoping to snowbird once my kiddo is settled down.
lightheir
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by lightheir »

I moved from dark and often snowy Northern upstate NY to both Southern and now Northern CA.

Weather is as expected 100x better. Shockingly so, for the most part.

I would however caution to all the 'flee the snow' folks that grass isn't always greener on the other side. Because the weather is so much better here in Norcal, cost of living is sky-high, to the point I can't even afford (remotely) to buy the house that I fortunately bought 10 years ago and am living in now.

Traffic is really bad as well, especially during rush hour. And all the 'cool' places to go will be hyperattended. Restaurants, shows, state parks, you name it, and there will be a lot of people competing for a spot unless it's totally unknown or undesirable.

Unless you're wealthy enough to readily afford the CA lifestyle without significant financial worry, I'd say that the added stress of housing, costs of living, and inconvenience equal the improvement in weather. ANd I'm someone who is outdoors a LOT (endurance sports), so I greatly value being outdoors - if you're not like me, and mostly are indoors, it's even less worth it for you.

I remember feeling like I had to get the heck out of upstate NY during the winter and never come back, but now I enjoy visiting my in-laws there even in the dead of winter - fond memories, and everything is so inexpensive and convenient - I feel like a billionaire there! :wink:
Independent George
Posts: 1281
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by Independent George »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:37 pmThe same for clothing. I realized I too often restrict my outdoor activities during the winter because I have a long-established habit of both being cheap about clothing, and disliking wearing heavier clothing. I started working on breaking those habits this year and it has helped me, I think both because of the opportunity to do more activities comfortably, and because of getting more exercise helping my mood. I know in your area, that won't be enough in the heart of winter, but at least reduce the discomfort at the worst of times, and try to achieve actual comfort outdoors at least during the shoulder season.
In my experience, the best cold weather gear are actually among the lightest, but you pay for quality. Multiple thin layers protect me better than fewer thick layers, and a really good base layer lets me get away with shockingly thin outer layers. UnderArmour Coldgear is my favorite, but Outdoor Research, Colombia, and Patagonia all make good products. A really good Technical Shell will cost $600+, but they last forever when cared for, and synergizes with your other layers to cover all seasons.

And, of course, I shill DarnTough socks every chance I get.
wfrobinette
Posts: 1488
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by wfrobinette »

JV wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 am Greetings, my fellow BHs,

I live in Western NY (WNY), and have for the past 27 years. As time has gone by, my disdain for this area has grown more severe each year, mainly because of the horrid weather. It's May 5 and I'm still in a sweatshirt and sleeping in flannel sheets, and have been since last Oct. It's not the WNY weather alone, it's all the northeast, as coworkers and friends often feel the same who live in this zone. I don't enjoy cold-weather activities (e.g. skiing, etc.); I actually hate the feeling of being cold. Perhaps my body is just getting less and less acclimated, who knows.

"So just move," you say? The issue is that we've carved out a life here and make very good money, on track to retire in early to mid-50's with a pension for my wife, plus our kids are mid-to-late teens who will either graduate or will in a couple of years. My wife and I often discuss her leaving work early, moving, and me continuing to work, primarily for health benefits. Lots of changes are coming with my kids in the next couple of years, but I am finding that I just can't handle the weather anymore. By the gods, I just want to open a damn window! :oops:

I was mainly just curious if others are or have been in this boat, and what you have done to mitigate those feelings. The pandemic nixed travel all of last year, plus we are trapped within a school calendar, so traveling together has not been easy. I honestly may just escape for a week or two in the winter, alone if I have to.

Suggestions? Sorry for this sounding like a "vent" post. I'm honestly just searching for ideas.
Yes I've been in that boat. Midwest to VA 25 years ago in my early 20's. Stupidly, I left VA and I moved to PA then NJ and when I got laid off up there I looked south and ended up in Charlotte to ride out the last 12 to 15 years before retirement at 62 or so. Never had a 24 hour period below freezing since I've been here. Sure the nights drop below but the lowest this year was maybe 24. Highs in the 40's/50's usually 80/90's in the summer no where near the humidity of FL. I think I'd grow to hate the hot summers further south.

Not sure where we will retire. Probably NC, SC costal areas.

Decide whether full pension and finishing up in the NE until early-mid 50's is worth it or move south now work a few years longer(maybe) and enjoy the weather more. If you are 3 to 4 years away then I'd probably stick it out but a life of misery 6 months or more of the year might have me working a couple more years. If more than that I'd be researching possibilities. There is good money to be made down here in the south too. RE is way cheaper and taxes are probably cheaper especially on real estate. Example in CLT suburbs area 3800 sqft homes with pools sell for 525k or so and RE tax is only $4750 <3000k sqft can be had in the 300's maybe high 200's the further out you go.
cheapskate
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by cheapskate »

I went to grad school in WNY (after growing up in a tropical country). The year I graduated, it snowed in May ! That was the last straw for me. I had finished my degree requirements, so I got into my car and started driving west, did not stop until I hit Silicon Valley - did not bother to collect my degree in person in June, they mailed it to me. Never once regretted moving to CA. Been here over 30 years. Never leaving. A friend of mine used to say about life in WNY - "it is miserable here 6 months of the year, so you feel like you are just completely wasting half your lived life".

Move to CA. Contrary to what many Bogleheads believe, it is possible to live here without having a ton of money. Yes, you make compromises (rent, live in a smaller home perhaps even in an apartment, deal with traffic etc). But the compromises are well worth it. There is more to life than LCOL and saving money. The incredible diversity, excellent food, unparalleled outdoor activities, work opportunities are things few other places have.
wfrobinette
Posts: 1488
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by wfrobinette »

Independent George wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:21 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 am
ponyboy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 am I personally like the seasons. Cold weather doesnt bother me. 90 degrees with high humidity does, but I still deal with it in PA. You havent felt heat until you are in ft lauderdale mid july. I thought it gets humid in PA, lol.
Ditto that. We love having four real seasons in eastern WA. And we also love breathing hot soup for half the year like we did in the Southeast. Now, our humidity in the summer is typically around 20%, so even 95F in the shade feels remarkably comfortable.
Me, three; desert or high desert is high on my list, but you'd have to force me at bayonet point to move to the southeast.

My order of preference for places to retire goes:
1. Proximity to an decently-sized airport.
2. No humidity.
3. Low-to-moderate housing/taxes/cost of living

It's funny how revealed preferences go, because when I first started thinking of it, cost of living was #1. Then I started actually doing the work of planning, and started plugging in numbers; in practice, I realized I'd pay significantly more for #s 1 & 2.

The Spokane area is a possible location. Vegas was my leading contender until all the CA people moved there to escape the pandemic, and drove up property prices. Nashville was high on the list until I visited there in the summer (and they similarly had a recent influx of people).
The humidity can be bad a few months out of the year in the TN, GA, NC, VA and SC areas but the rest of the year is great. I have friends that love the desert but 115 or more is still.
sailaway
Posts: 3272
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by sailaway »

No humidity does me no favors. When those Santa Ana winds blow in from the mountains, I am pretty miserable. My body likes moderate humidity.
Independent George
Posts: 1281
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by Independent George »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:30 pmWe live near Spokane and absolutely love the area (though not the city itself so much). It's an outdoor lovers Mecca, and you can fly to about 18 airports from GEG. Housing prices have increased dramatically over the last six years though. Our home has nearly doubled in value over that time; according to the WSJ, Spokane is ranked as the 5th hottest emerging real estate market in the country, and nearby Coeur d'Alene in Idaho is #1. Of course, home affordability is highly relative; people moving here from CA and Seattle think that housing in the area is still cheap and are routinely making cash offers for well above asking price sight unseen and with no contingencies.

And of course, living in a state without an income tax is a nice bonus.
Dangit, why do people keep stealing my ideas? I want to be the rich out-of-towner buying up all the land!
wfrobinette wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:14 pm The humidity can be bad a few months out of the year in the TN, GA, NC, VA and SC areas but the rest of the year is great. I have friends that love the desert but 115 or more is still.
What about KY? Knowing nothing about it but Zillow listings, Frankfort, KY has entered my radar. I have a friend in Lexington, too, so I might visit and scout locations soon.

The great thing about the desert is that even when it's hot (but not humid) during the daytime, the evenings are gorgeous even in August.
Last edited by Independent George on Thu May 06, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rich126
Posts: 2763
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by rich126 »

In my case I always detested the weather in MD. Even as a kid I didn't like the sticky, nasty summers with the upper 80s and humidity. It just felt icky and buggy. I then moved to AZ and while it is hot, and July-Sept are nasty since it gets a touch humid, the weather there is much more to my preference.

I honestly love snow and don't mind cold (assuming it is only for a few months) but humidity is a huge annoyance to me. And I can't say I'm a fan of rain either.

But it is tough to find an ideal place to live year round. Moving part of the year may be ok if you got the money but it comes with hassles. Anything from bills, to getting stuff from location to location (unless you have stuff both places), needing multiple sets of doctors, friends, family, etc.
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 25278
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by willthrill81 »

Independent George wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:18 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:30 pmWe live near Spokane and absolutely love the area (though not the city itself so much). It's an outdoor lovers Mecca, and you can fly to about 18 airports from GEG. Housing prices have increased dramatically over the last six years though. Our home has nearly doubled in value over that time; according to the WSJ, Spokane is ranked as the 5th hottest emerging real estate market in the country, and nearby Coeur d'Alene in Idaho is #1. Of course, home affordability is highly relative; people moving here from CA and Seattle think that housing in the area is still cheap and are routinely making cash offers for well above asking price sight unseen and with no contingencies.

And of course, living in a state without an income tax is a nice bonus.
Dangit, why do people keep stealing my ideas? I want to be the rich out-of-towner buying up all the land!
There are some beautiful areas in N. Idaho where you can do just that. One of these is Sandpoint, about an hour north of CDA and 90 minutes from GEG. It's a beautiful area at the base of Schweitzer mountain, one of my favorite places to downhill ski, and surrounded by Lake Pend O'Reille.
Last edited by willthrill81 on Thu May 06, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 12596
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

JV wrote: It's May 5 and I'm still in a sweatshirt and sleeping in flannel sheets, and have been since last Oct.
Well, I’m near Boston and the weather is wonderful. I’m wearing a flannel shirt, but I’m sitting by the pool (I won’t swim, but my wife will, quickly). The birds are coming back (we have eggs in the boxes), spring flowers are blooming, trees are coming back from the winter, frogs are croaking, koi fish are wondering why we’re not feeding them more, our indoor plants have gotten accustomed to the outdoors and will soon move outdoors 24/7.

I don’t usually mind winter, but February was admittedly a drag this year. But, I enjoy seasons.

It sounds like you might have SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Not getting medical, but maybe some strong artificial light during winter would help you enjoy the season a bit more.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Thu May 06, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Monsterflockster
Posts: 733
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:03 am

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by Monsterflockster »

Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

No, I leave 5 miles from the beach in California. Life is good! :sharebeer
sailaway
Posts: 3272
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by sailaway »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:24 pm
sailaway wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 am It's May 5 and I'm still in a sweatshirt and sleeping in flannel sheets, and have been since last Oct.
Well, I’m near Boston and the weather is wonderful. I’m wearing a flannel shirt, but I’m sitting by the pool (I won’t swim, but my wife will, quickly). The birds are coming back (we have eggs in the boxes), spring flowers are blooming, trees are coming back from the winter, frogs are croaking, koi fish are wondering why we’re not feeding them more, our indoor plants have gotten accustomed to the outdoors and will soon move outdoors 24/7.

I don’t usually mind winter, but February was admittedly a drag this year. But, I enjoy seasons.

It sounds like you might have SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Not getting medical, but maybe some strong artificial light during winter would help you enjoy the season a bit more.
That's some messed up quoting there - you attributed the OP to me. I only have my windows closed because the neighbors are being obnoxious.
Cycle
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by Cycle »

Go to Yakutsk in January and you'll feel better about your current spot.

One thing I've discovered after living in Minnesota for 15 years, after having moved from Chicago, is that certain activities make winter much worse and others better. It is cold in Chicago, but it's another level in Minnesota, particularly northern parts.

Winter driving is a headache. Lot of traffic jams, freezing car. Someone nearly killed me in the winter when they crashed into me on the freeway. This can be minimized by not driving. I found when I stopped driving most of my winter complaints ended.

But to not drive, you have to walk a lot. Only in downtown here are the sidewalks cleared professionally where there is no ice / snow. Two years ago we moved downtown, and the sidewalks are even cleared mid-snowstorm. I've walked to target in the middle of a snowstorm and snow crews were out proactively plowing sidewalks. There is also a 10 mile skyway system so theoretically one never needs to go outside, but i prefer the fresh air.

It can also be quite stressful to bike here in winter, so living downtown biking isn't necessary in winter.

I find doing outdoor activities can make one learn to enjoy the seasons. So that means xc skiing or ice skating here in winter. Some people snow shoe. Mainly we just walk a lot though in winter these days since we have little kids. Having dry ice free sidewalks is pretty critical when pushing kids in a stroller.
Last edited by Cycle on Thu May 06, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
Topic Author
JV
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by JV »

Wow, the replies and responses have been awesome. Thank you. I assure you this is not seasonal affective disorder. I am aware of what that is, but this has been an ongoing issue for some time. WNY summers are actually beautiful, but the minute late Sept./early Oct. hit and temps are back in the 50s I know I am in for a helluva long road before I can crack a window again. I've taken a lot of your suggestions to heart, and again, thank you. I'd love to hear more about where you live and your experiences there. At minimum I am going to travel more in the winter, alone if I have to. My wife is fine with it, but she will tag along as well, as she loves to travel and knows this is not the place we want to end up the rest of our lives. It's a tough struggle, knowing you have plenty of money and are very comfortable, with a pension to boot, but the place you live really dampers a lot of that.

In the end, CO and CA have always been destinations we've been intrigued about. I am not going for a perfect place, nor am I under any illusions that a place like that even exists. I am OK with snow/winter, just not 7 months of it.
User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 12596
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

sailaway wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:32 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:24 pm
sailaway wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:37 am It's May 5 and I'm still in a sweatshirt and sleeping in flannel sheets, and have been since last Oct.
Well, I’m near Boston and the weather is wonderful. I’m wearing a flannel shirt, but I’m sitting by the pool (I won’t swim, but my wife will, quickly). The birds are coming back (we have eggs in the boxes), spring flowers are blooming, trees are coming back from the winter, frogs are croaking, koi fish are wondering why we’re not feeding them more, our indoor plants have gotten accustomed to the outdoors and will soon move outdoors 24/7.

I don’t usually mind winter, but February was admittedly a drag this year. But, I enjoy seasons.

It sounds like you might have SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Not getting medical, but maybe some strong artificial light during winter would help you enjoy the season a bit more.
That's some messed up quoting there - you attributed the OP to me. I only have my windows closed because the neighbors are being obnoxious.
Oops. So sorry. I’ll fix it in my post but can’t fix it in yours.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 25278
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by willthrill81 »

JV wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:35 pm In the end, CO and CA have always been destinations we've been intrigued about. I am not going for a perfect place, nor am I under any illusions that a place like that even exists. I am OK with snow/winter, just not 7 months of it.
You might like AZ, NM, NV, UT, or WY as well. All will certainly have much lower taxes and more affordable property than CA and probably CO as well.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
investingfan
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:32 pm

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by investingfan »

JV wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:35 pm Wow, the replies and responses have been awesome. Thank you. I assure you this is not seasonal affective disorder. I am aware of what that is, but this has been an ongoing issue for some time. WNY summers are actually beautiful, but the minute late Sept./early Oct. hit and temps are back in the 50s I know I am in for a helluva long road before I can crack a window again. I've taken a lot of your suggestions to heart, and again, thank you. I'd love to hear more about where you live and your experiences there. At minimum I am going to travel more in the winter, alone if I have to. My wife is fine with it, but she will tag along as well, as she loves to travel and knows this is not the place we want to end up the rest of our lives. It's a tough struggle, knowing you have plenty of money and are very comfortable, with a pension to boot, but the place you live really dampers a lot of that.

In the end, CO and CA have always been destinations we've been intrigued about. I am not going for a perfect place, nor am I under any illusions that a place like that even exists. I am OK with snow/winter, just not 7 months of it.

Move to CA! Best thing we did. Farmer markets everywhere. We don't even buy fruits, vegetables, breads and eggs at the grocery stores anymore. California is the world’s largest producer of wine outside of Europe!
iamlucky13
Posts: 2470
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by iamlucky13 »

Independent George wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:08 pm
iamlucky13 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:37 pmThe same for clothing. I realized I too often restrict my outdoor activities during the winter because I have a long-established habit of both being cheap about clothing, and disliking wearing heavier clothing. I started working on breaking those habits this year and it has helped me, I think both because of the opportunity to do more activities comfortably, and because of getting more exercise helping my mood. I know in your area, that won't be enough in the heart of winter, but at least reduce the discomfort at the worst of times, and try to achieve actual comfort outdoors at least during the shoulder season.
In my experience, the best cold weather gear are actually among the lightest, but you pay for quality. Multiple thin layers protect me better than fewer thick layers, and a really good base layer lets me get away with shockingly thin outer layers. UnderArmour Coldgear is my favorite, but Outdoor Research, Colombia, and Patagonia all make good products. A really good Technical Shell will cost $600+, but they last forever when cared for, and synergizes with your other layers to cover all seasons.

And, of course, I shill DarnTough socks every chance I get.
That's the direction I'm heading now. Before, my habitual pushback against cheap heavy coats was just to deal with being cold.

The first step in the right direction was better quality gear overall. I started with Columbia, but have moved up one more price level since then. I still feel constrained and weighed down wearing anything more than a t-shirt + pullover + softshell or windbreaker. I'm gradually getting used to the idea of wearing wool socks, boots, and long johns for activities less than extended time in the snow.

In retrospect, it was pretty silly, but I just wasn't appreciating how often I procrastinated from doing something outdoors simply because I didn't want to bundle up or freeze.
User avatar
leeks
Posts: 1108
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: virginia

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by leeks »

If your wife and kids feel the same way, then just move and figure out your life somewhere else. It is possible and there will be some adventure for all of you in figuring everything out in a new place. It can build resiliency in kids to have to move and the (hopefully) post-pandemic school year is actually not a terrible time to be starting over with friendships and extracurriculars and such (since many of the normal socializing/activities didn't happen this year, other teens will be similarly rebuilding a social life and hobbies). This doesn't look like a great summer for house buying, but on the other hand it does look like a great summer for house selling, so you could make it work (or rent).

If your wife and kids really like their jobs/schools and don't want to move, then wait until they finish high school and then move (if your wife also wants a warmer place and can switch jobs/retire) or get a vacation house (if she doesn't).

I'm in NYC and I could not tolerate anything colder (although there are other reasons I hate it here so weather is not the primary factor). There are just too many months of cold weather and leafless trees that exacerbate the grey feeling of a city. I'm looking forward to moving back to VA where I like the climate much better. Spring comes much earlier. I like hot humid summers as long as I have a nearby place to swim outside. I like more months of vegetable gardening. I like more months of being surrounded by green things. I like more months of dining in the backyard. I like more months where it is comfortable to hike/camp. I like an extra bit of sunshine from slightly longer hours of daylight.

I much prefer VA weather to CA. CA is just not my thing. At least the parts I have been to did not have the lush green forested kind of nature I like. And the summer (and ocean) was not as warm as I like.

So many of the things I enjoy doing are outside (and my kids are young enough that on average half of their waking hours can be spent outside when weather is decent). We still do outdoor things year round, have plenty of wool and waterproof layers and such. But a month or two of winter weather with a few weeks of snow is enough for me. My husband and I both get the seasonal blues by the late months of winter - especially when "winter" in the Northeast sometimes drags on into April. Climate matters a lot to me and it is a factor in my long-term thinking about where we will live. New England, Boston, Chicago are all places that could have appealed to me and/or my husband in other ways but we would never consider because of colder climate.

I think it is reasonable to consider weather as a key factor in determining where to live.
Calli114
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 12:54 am

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by Calli114 »

alfaspider wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:04 pm In Houston, mostly just June through September. The heat is oppressive, and you always have to have one weary eye on the Gulf of Mexico for a possible hurricane. Rest of the year, the weather is mostly pleasant.

Someday, when I no longer have any constraints from kids/work, I may do a reverse snowbird thing and live in Colorado during the summer.

I’m considering this for a month or so each summer to get away from the Midwest humidity and bugs.
Maybe an affordable part of WY or UT. The occasional low humidity summer day makes me acutely aware of how sticky it is much of the time.
ensign_lee
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:03 am

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by ensign_lee »

Yes, but for the opposite reasons. I'm down in Houston, and wow I can't even go outside now because when it's high 80s with near 90% humidity it feels awful. And it's only going to get worse from here as TX goes through Summer.

GF doesn't want to move though....even though we could afford it.
Post Reply