Please help me choose a ballast for fluorescent light

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hmw

Please help me choose a ballast for fluorescent light

Post by hmw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:41 pm

I need to replace an old ballast which is apparently no longer manufactured.

The old one is called "Mark III Energy Saver Cat No. R-2E75-S-2-TP" made by Advance Transformer.

When I did a search on Amazon, there is a 3rd party that still sells this particular ballast but cost over $80. Typical ballasts cost $15 to $30.

Can anyone suggest an equivalent modern ballast that cost less than $80?

Thanks

UnLearnYourself

Re: Please help me choose a ballast for fluorescent light

Post by UnLearnYourself » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm

Replace the whole fixture with an LED. Check your local utility for rebates/incentives.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:54 pm

hmw wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:41 pm
I need to replace an old ballast which is apparently no longer manufactured.

The old one is called "Mark III Energy Saver Cat No. R-2E75-S-2-TP" made by Advance Transformer.

When I did a search on Amazon, there is a 3rd party that still sells this particular ballast but cost over $80. Typical ballasts cost $15 to $30.

Can anyone suggest an equivalent modern ballast that cost less than $80?

Thanks
For about $16 you can convert the fixture to led tubes if you have the wherewithal to do a little rewiring. Use "ballast bypass" led tubes with very old ballasts.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:56 pm

UnLearnYourself wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm
Replace the whole fixture with an LED. Check your local utility for rebates/incentives.
x2. Not worth futzing with fluorescents anymore. LEDs are so superior in every way.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm

What I did was buy these LED lights off of Amazon. I bought them to light up my garage, they run about $80 for 4 of them and are a bit smaller the size and shape of two florescent lights. I took the florescent fixture down, removed the ballasts and wiring, and installed one of the LED lights. About an hour of work and $20 gave me much better light, less electricity use, and still looks pretty good. It is in the laundry room, so looks are not that important.

crefwatch

Post by crefwatch » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm

If for some reason you don't want to replace the fixture, please post the exact specs of the lamp, from one end. Also mention the nominal length of the tubes, and their nominal diameter (T6, T8, etc.) Do you have plenty of spare bulbs on hand, or zero? Preferred color/color temperature? Any reason not to follow the advice in the first reply? It's good advice.

Have you replaced ballasts before?

Are there already electronic ballasts in your home? I ask because some cheaper electronic ballasts can cause radio or TV interference.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:03 pm

You should be able to replace that old magnetic ballast with an electronic ballast. This should work, but wiring may be different so just follow the instruction sheet in the package.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-2-Bulb-Resi ... lsrc=aw.ds

daheld

Post by daheld » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:36 pm

As others have said, there should be a replacement electronic ballast. Better yet, convert the fixture to LED.

Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:43 pm

crefwatch wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm
If for some reason you don't want to replace the fixture, please post the exact specs of the lamp, from one end. Also mention the nominal length of the tubes, and their nominal diameter (T6, T8, etc.) Do you have plenty of spare bulbs on hand, or zero? Preferred color/color temperature? Any reason not to follow the advice in the first reply? It's good advice.

Are there already electronic ballasts in your home? I ask because some cheaper electronic ballasts can cause radio or TV interference.
Thanks for all the quick replies.

The light bulb is quite long. They are F72T12-CW. Single pin. I have no extra light bulbs in the house but they can be bought at Lowe's for about $15 a piece.

I have replaced ballasts before but I think rewiring/changing to LED lights may be beyond of my capabilities.

Thanks

Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:51 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:03 pm
You should be able to replace that old magnetic ballast with an electronic ballast. This should work, but wiring may be different so just follow the instruction sheet in the package.

Will the ballast you suggested work on my long light bulb? I have 2 fluorescent bulbs (F72T12) that are 6 ft in length. The example you gave are for bulbs 3 to 4 ft in length?

Thanks

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Just replace the whole fixture with an LED fixture.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:07 pm

hmw wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:51 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:03 pm

Will the ballast you suggested work on my long light bulb? I have 2 fluorescent bulbs (F72T12) that are 6 ft in length. The example you gave are for bulbs 3 to 4 ft in length?

Thanks
No....it helps that you list your bulbs. Here's your ballast: https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-2-Bulb-Comm ... 1000438177

You could also look at this site: https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/f72t ... VgQAvD_BwE

Kobra

Post by Kobra » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:59 pm

That ballast has been discontinued for awhile being made back when most were magnetic ballast. The new one you need is going to be an electronic version and if you want to stay with Advance the part number is ICN-2P60-N or you also could replace with a GE-260-IS-MV-N. Both replacement ballasts will require some minor rewiring to the sockets but it is very simple with the wiring diagram on the ballast. Let me know if you need any more info.

Mark

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:09 pm

I replaced my 8’ tubes with these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FM ... UTF8&psc=1

The wiring in pretty easy. Look at the last picture on the amazon page for a wiring picture.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.

Post by 123 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:16 pm

It is likely easier to replace the fixture with an LED version than it is to replace the ballast. The expected life of a new fixture is likely longer than the expected lifetime of a replacement ballast.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:47 pm

I think I will just replace the ballast instead of changing to LED. I watched one video on Youtube on how to convert fluorescent lights to LED. I don't think I can do it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HS ... DMBB&psc=1

I think the above ballast will work.

I need some help with wiring. The current ballast is making a lot of humming noise when the lights are on. The current ballast has 1 blue wire and 1 red wire coming out from one end, and a white and a black wire coming out the other end. The current wiring appears to be the diagram on the left upper diagram shown on amazon which is magnetic.

The new ballast has one red wire, 2 blue wires, one black and one white. I think I am supposed to follow the diagram on the left lower corner. But I am not sure what I am supposed to do. I think the blue and the red wires are supposed to connect to the opposite end of the light bulb?

thanks

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 pm

I think you should just hire a handyman and replace the fixture.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

crefwatch

Post by crefwatch » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:19 am

There are two blue wires because it’s a two-lamp ballast, not a one-lamp ballast. I’ve never tried a two-lamp electronic ballast on one lamp only, but magnetic ballasts MUST have two lamps attached if that’s what they are designed for. I’m also concerned about using an F96 ballast for an F72 lamp. I see the Mfr. sheet at Amazon permits both these uses, however.

UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 am

hmw wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:43 pm
crefwatch wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm

Thanks for all the quick replies.

The light bulb is quite long. They are F72T12-CW. Single pin. I have no extra light bulbs in the house but they can be bought at Lowe's for about $15 a piece.

I have replaced ballasts before but I think rewiring/changing to LED lights may be beyond of my capabilities.

Thanks
They make retrofit kits now that simplify the install. I'd encourage you to run the LED angle to the ground before abandoning it and just putting a band aid on your ceiling.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:32 am

UnLearnYourself wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 am

They make retrofit kits now that simplify the install. I'd encourage you to run the LED angle to the ground before abandoning it and just putting a band aid on your ceiling.
I'm not taking sides on the "new ballast" vs "convert to LED" discussion. However, it's might be a bit of a stretch to call a new electronic ballast that has a service life of 15-20 years a band aid.

UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:46 am

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:32 am
UnLearnYourself wrote:

I'm not taking sides on the "new ballast" vs "convert to LED" discussion. However, it's might be a bit of a stretch to call a new electronic ballast that has a service life of 15-20 years a band aid.
15-20 years lifetime is also a stretch ;)

Point taken though. At least in MA where there are still huge utility rebates to go LED, I find it overall to be a shortsighted decision to continue to string along older technologies when the replacement is beneficial for a number of reasons and will pay for itself over time.

OP, does your state offer utility rebates on LED conversions?

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:40 am

UnLearnYourself wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:46 am
neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:32 am
UnLearnYourself wrote:

15-20 years lifetime is also a stretch ;)

Point taken though. At least in MA where there are still huge utility rebates to go LED, I find it overall to be a shortsighted decision to continue to string along older technologies when the replacement is beneficial for a number of reasons and will pay for itself over time.

OP, does your state offer utility rebates on LED conversions?
Changing a lightbulb has gotten so complicated. In the old days, you'd just do it because hiring an electrician to change out the fixture was prohibitively expensive. And aside from lightbulb and ballast, there were no other user replaceable parts. Now, replacement retrofit kits are a good option that is not much more difficult than replacing the ballast and bulb. The term "ballast bypass" makes it sound like a complicated surgical procedure, but often it means replacing the ballast with a wire or simply joining together the wires that used to go to the ballast.

I just had to pull out a lightbulb (not regular crew off type) from a recessed ceiling fixture that fell apart and pieces got stuck in the socket. I'm looking at doing an LED replacement so I don't ever have to worry about these silly new connectors, expensive bulbs (the lightbulb costs more than the LED retrofit), and ballast failure. And hopefully the LED outlives me. If 50,000 hours LED bulb is used 3 hours a day, that's 16,666.67 days or 45.66 years, and that doesn't count days not used or vacations.

Another consideration is changing out the entire fixture. Cost and difficulty of changing out entire fixtures isn't so much these days. Plus you learn a lot on youtube -- many examples of how simple some of these tasks can be. Do you spend $30 changing out a ballast or $40 on an entirely new fixture? You'd need to find your light output requirement and design, and you'd still have the trouble of doing some wiring and painting, but it's there to give you an idea. https://www.costco.com/artika-saturn-le ... 68619.html (Add: these might be a little closer replacements https://www.amazon.com/Hykolity-Ceiling ... 082LSGWDH/ https://www.amazon.com/Auffel-Minimalis ... 07FR45DYX/ )

Anyway, OP, I'm also encouraging you to revisit the LED replacement as a very promising solution.