Parents with kids in Spring sports that are on hiatus/cancelled

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tj218

Parents with kids in Spring sports that are on hiatus/cancelled

Post by tj218 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 pm

Fellow parents of kids who participate in spring sports,

How is everyone dealing with their respective clubs/organizations regarding money? Our daughter plays club soccer for which we have already paid but they have not practiced in 2 weeks. We received noticed yesterday that they are letting go of almost all their coaching staff. But they plan on sending us instructional materials at home for the kids to continue to work on, assuming it's to justify keeping the player registration money.

I understand why they can't practice, but getting rid of the coaching staff, many of whom are on visas, doesn't sit well with me as a human. On top of that it looks like she will have to learn a whole new coach and their system if this continues more than a couple of weeks (likely). I've sent a strong e-mail (so have others) against their decision to let go of coaching staff. But no parents have received a response yet.

While I plan on giving them until Monday to respond, is it unreasonable to request money (pro-rated) back? I'd could tolerate them keeping the fees but maintaining payroll for their coaches but letting the coaches go seems awfully cold, especially since they are presumably paid for in the registration.

How are parents in AAU and other club sports handling these situations?

Carson

Re: Parents with kids in Spring sports that are on hiatus/cancelled

Post by Carson » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:55 pm

SO and I manage a volunteer run travel baseball league (8 teams). It’s certainly different than a for profit org but just what we are thinking...

It’s really unfortunate, just before COVID hit, we had incurred $11k of costs for uniforms as well as $1.5k for tournament registrations. Player fees were approx $300/player x 100 players

If the season just doesn’t happen at all, our priority would be to refund team sponsors and then refund families at least as much as we can (less the uniform costs). It’s our hope that we can take stock next year and only order replacement uniforms for new players/new sizes and figure out the math.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:04 pm

Why is the coaching staff on visas?

Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 pm

tj218 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 pm

How is everyone dealing with their respective clubs/organizations regarding money? Our daughter plays club soccer for which we have already paid but they have not practiced in 2 weeks. We received noticed yesterday that they are letting go of almost all their coaching staff. But they plan on sending us instructional materials at home for the kids to continue to work on, assuming it's to justify keeping the player registration money.

I understand why they can't practice, but getting rid of the coaching staff, many of whom are on visas, doesn't sit well with me as a human. On top of that it looks like she will have to learn a whole new coach and their system if this continues more than a couple of weeks (likely). I've sent a strong e-mail (so have others) against their decision to let go of coaching staff. But no parents have received a response yet.

While I plan on giving them until Monday to respond, is it unreasonable to request money (pro-rated) back? I'd could tolerate them keeping the fees but maintaining payroll for their coaches but letting the coaches go seems awfully cold, especially since they are presumably paid for in the registration.

Your first mistake was investing in club soccer. :happy

Many of the fees go toward travel, tournament fees, uniforms and (sadly) probably the least of which is coaching salaries. The fact that these are no longer needing to be paid I would say a refund is in order. But from my dealings with club owners (not the coaches) is that they are not so in it for the kids as they are the income. I would not be surprised to see them not issue a refund or fold, only to pop up again. there are well run, professional clubs out there and hopefully your's is one of them.

On philosophical and random note... as a fellow coach who has seen many go on to the next level, it is hard to find a good club that puts the athlete first. Year round sports create burnout & overuse injury much more than the passion it is supposed to flame. There is no off season and too many times I have seen kids punished and put through extra training as punishment for participating in school activities. But I know many who disagree so take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck!

Topic Author
tj218

Post by tj218 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:01 pm

Monsterflockster wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:33 pm
tj218 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 pm

Your first mistake was investing in club soccer. :happy

Many of the fees go toward travel, tournament fees, uniforms and (sadly) probably the least of which is coaching salaries. The fact that these are no longer needing to be paid I would say a refund is in order. But from my dealings with club owners (not the coaches) is that they are not so in it for the kids as they are the income. I would not be surprised to see them not issue a refund or fold, only to pop up again. there are well run, professional clubs out there and hopefully your's is one of them.

On philosophical and random note... as a fellow coach who has seen many go on to the next level, it is hard to find a good club that puts the athlete first. Year round sports create burnout & overuse injury much more than the passion it is supposed to flame. There is no off season and too many times I have seen kids punished and put through extra training as punishment for participating in school activities. But I know many who disagree so take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck!
Thanks we were real hesitant to do the club route, but our daughter really enjoys the sport and wasn't really getting skill development from the town "travel" team and was dominant through athleticism on the field. I'm under no delusions about college scholarships or anything, just want to encourage her to build confidence. She was asked to "try out" for a club team (national org. with a state affiliate) and made it and received quality coaching since this winter. This spring would have been her first season with the club team for games (she is also playing softball this spring) and we were using it to evaluate it for the fall season. We really like her coach, I am less concerned about the money and more concerned that the coach was let go. Keep the coach on and they can keep the money is my thought. Apparently the national organization let go of most of their coaching staff nationwide so it doesn't sound promising though.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:02 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:04 pm
b/c coaches with accents and hailing from Futbol countries have much more gravitas!

OP - maybe this will allow the coaches to file for unemployment?

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:06 pm

surfstar wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:02 pm
rkhusky wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:04 pm
b/c coaches with accents and hailing from Futbol countries have much more gravitas!

OP - maybe this will allow the coaches to file for unemployment?
That’s now how work visas work. They have to go back to their home country.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:17 am

Our money for each of my kids spring travel teams was refunded. The spring season was cancelled about a week after tryouts literally on the eve of the first practice.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 am

Luckily our kids' sports (wrestling and jiu jitsu) are month-to-month and pretty cheap (<$100/month). All USA wrestling clubs and tournaments are cancelled, the coaches told us they will not charge for the 1st month back as it was cancelled after only one practice in March. Essentially same thing with jiu jitsu.