What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
artibug

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by artibug » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Our cabinet depth Viking fridge no longer defrost itself. So now I use a hairdryer to melt the ice forms/blocks the air duct from the freezer to the fridge every 6 months or so. I am not buying a new fridge (only 3 companies makes the size we have, Viking, subzero and something else I forgot because the 3rd option fridge will be 2 feet shorter and require extra cost to have the cabinetry altered) which will cost $~12k plus another $ 700 to install/secure the new fridge to the wall until the compressor dies on us. And no. The prior owner got the fridge not us. It looks like we are stuck with this size unless we want to redo the kitchen in the future. Seriously, I just want to food to be cold. Why in the world do people want to spend that kind of money on a fridge when ones that cost $800 can do equally good of a job?! :annoyed

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am

After a month of vacation with rich food, needless to say, my doctor put me on notice.
So I’ve been snacking on celery and having cabbage soup for lunch, apple for dessert. Celery was 2 bunches for $1 here. Cabbage was 50c/lb, and apple for 88c/lb, I’m happy to say it’s working. Lost weight and blood pressure went down, even just for a few days. It beats money that I would have to spend for Weight Watchers. Yay for frugality.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Today, I have purchased Italian shoes from Amazon that were listed with "free returns." If the shoes fit, I'll start wearing them for my spring activities. If these shoes don't fit, I will try a different size or a different model. I hope to make Amazon a convenient provider of European shoes so that I would not spend time on this when I am traveling in Europe.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Today I dressed like a homeless guy + sat by a subway on the sidewalk with a cup. Made 17$. Not bad.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:15 pm

DW is flying coach to spain today, and her work pays her $2k when she doesn't fly business class. We're going to treat ourselves with that money to some VTIAX

ucla-engineer

Post by ucla-engineer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:15 pm

TG2 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:03 pm
BogleBoogie wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:57 pm
DanMahowny wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:00 pm
BogleBoogie wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:44 pm
I wouldn't consider the extra long shower "frugal", perhaps "wasteful."
Long showers are fantastic!

A long shower for me is typically about one hour.

Very relaxing. And cheap too- the cost of the water and gas to heat the water is small relative to the enjoyment.

Certainly not wasteful in my view.
I suppose it is a matter of opinion on this one. The one hour shower you speak of amounts to about 600 gallons of water. 600 gallons of water to clean one person, one day, one time feels wasteful and unnecessary to me. For you, it is wonderful.
Yeah. This is the first person who has ever made me think it was frugal of me to buy a hot tub. And mine is far more relaxing. I don't have to be standing up. :happy
A one hour shower is wasteful, but it's not 600 gallons, more like 150 gallons max.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Today, I reviewed some beautiful hotels in the Colonial Williamsburg but ended up booking Governor's Inn at about $70/night. I have also purchased Amtrak tickets at the "value" price of $35 each way.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:34 am

I bought a new desktop and to my irritation, Windows 10 on the new machine did not support the driver of my old laser printer. I no longer had the printer disk so I could not install the driver. I needed a printer for a Spanish assignment so I went and bought a new printer from Best Buy and installed it. I was able to get it to print after some hassle. I decided to see if I could get it to work with my Surface Pro 3 or Lenova Yoga Pro. Both went crazy. The Surface would not even boot. Many, many hours later both are fixed. I had to load Windows 10 onto a flash drive and reset the Bios of the Lenova Yoga Pro so that it would recognize a flash drive. I had been looking to buy another laptop!

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:08 am

I always eat home cooked food - how much that would have saved me ? Plus the added benefit of healthy food is priceless.

TG2

Post by TG2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:51 am

ucla-engineer wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:15 pm
TG2 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:03 pm
BogleBoogie wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:57 pm
DanMahowny wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:00 pm
BogleBoogie wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:44 pm
I wouldn't consider the extra long shower "frugal", perhaps "wasteful."
Long showers are fantastic!

A long shower for me is typically about one hour.

Very relaxing. And cheap too- the cost of the water and gas to heat the water is small relative to the enjoyment.

Certainly not wasteful in my view.
I suppose it is a matter of opinion on this one. The one hour shower you speak of amounts to about 600 gallons of water. 600 gallons of water to clean one person, one day, one time feels wasteful and unnecessary to me. For you, it is wonderful.
Yeah. This is the first person who has ever made me think it was frugal of me to buy a hot tub. And mine is far more relaxing. I don't have to be standing up. :happy
A one hour shower is wasteful, but it's not 600 gallons, more like 150 gallons max.
Yeah, 120 to 150 is a lot closer. My hot tub takes 325 to fill, but I only have to change the water every few months. See? Frugal! :D

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:11 am

gotester2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:08 am
I always eat home cooked food - how much that would have saved me ? Plus the added benefit of healthy food is priceless.
Are you suggesting that all food cooked outside the home is not healthy?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:36 am

mptfan wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:11 am
gotester2000 wrote:
Certainly doesn't sound like that is what gotester2000 is suggesting and you should never make generalizations, especially when it comes to health. That being said, there is a pretty statistically significant association between the number of meals one eats out and their risk for obesity, metabolic syndrome, and comorbidities. This being my specific area of research, it is one (if not the most) validated generalization in nutritional/health science.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22300594
https://cspinet.org/resource/research-r ... ody-weight
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17582244
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20661252.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25399031

If I were to have a single statement to make to someone to have the greatest positive influence on their overall health, it would likely be: limit how many of your meals are eaten at restaurants. You can absolutely eat out on a regular basis and make "healthy" food choices and be healthy overall, but you are making it a whole lot more difficult and statistically a whole lot less likely.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 am

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:36 am
mptfan wrote:
gotester2000 wrote:
Certainly doesn't sound like that is what gotester2000 is suggesting and you should never make generalizations, especially when it comes to health. That being said, there is a pretty statistically significant association between the number of meals one eats out and their risk for obesity, metabolic syndrome, and comorbidities. This being my specific area of research, it is one (if not the most) validated generalization in nutritional/health science.

If I were to have a single statement to make to someone to have the greatest positive influence on their overall health, it would likely be: limit how many of your meals are eaten at restaurants. You can absolutely eat out on a regular basis and make "healthy" food choices and be healthy overall, but you are making it a whole lot more difficult and statistically a whole lot less likely.
You have hit the nail on the head!!!
The advantage of home cooked food is limiting salt, sugar,oil,refined flour etc plus it is a healthy activity to engage in - add fresh food with hygiene.
Food is your real medicine.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:21 am

gotester2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 am
stoptothink wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:36 am
mptfan wrote:
gotester2000 wrote:

You have hit the nail on the head!!!
The advantage of home cooked food is limiting salt, sugar,oil,refined flour etc plus it is a healthy activity to engage in - add fresh food with hygiene.
Food is your real medicine.
Food is not medicine, it's a living organism's need. However, bad food is a poison, and improving one's diet may reverse some harmful effects of a bad diet.

Food is a bane of the modern society. Instead of discussing art, science, philosophy, or literature people are incessantly talking about food. People don't travel abroad to get exposed to new cultures; people travel to eat. And then they equate foreign foods with foreign cultures. People go on dates to get food. People post food pictures on Facebook and other social media. Holidays are festivals of unhealthy eating. Girl scouts sell cookies loaded with sugar and other harmful substances. Even economics books use food examples, because it's the lowest common denominator.

Food made at home is better than food consumed in restaurants, if one prepares healthful food. Unfortunately, much of home cooking is overcooking, killing the nutrition of vegetables and adding sugar and salt "for better taste."

Victoria

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:22 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:21 am

Food is a bane of the modern society. Instead of discussing art, science, philosophy, or literature people are incessantly talking about food. People don't travel abroad to get exposed to new cultures; people travel to eat. And then they equate foreign foods with foreign cultures. People go on dates to get food. People post food pictures on Facebook and other social media. Holidays are festivals of unhealthy eating. Girl scouts sell cookies loaded with sugar and other harmful substances. Even economics books use food examples, because it's the lowest common denominator.

Food made at home is better than food consumed in restaurants, if one prepares healthful food. Unfortunately, much of home cooking is overcooking, killing the nutrition of vegetables and adding sugar and salt "for better taste."

Victoria
Interesting that one who researches this for a living totally agrees with you on this. I never really thought about directly like that, but you are absolutely correct in that too much emphasis is put on food in most cultures, to the detriment of our health. One of the primary reasons I am on the far right of the bell curve for almost every measurable health marker is because food is actually such a small part of my life. Although I study it every day, preparing it, eating it, and thinking about it for my own consumption is very minimal compared to the average person. It is fuel for my body, no more and doesn't take up much more thought or time than refueling my car. Others may find this sad, and say that food is one of life's great pleasures; I am OK seeing that I am an outlier in this perspective, but viewing it in this lens has significant health (physical and financial) benefits.

Sorry for taking this on a tangent. I really liked your overall thought.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:27 pm

I walked to office today, 2.6 miles x 2 - not bad. Of course, biking would've been even more frugal. Alas, fooled by the weatherwoman. I digress.

gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:13 pm

Victoria,

I think you know what I mean - by default I had assumed and not specifically mentioned healthy and in moderate proportion with respect to home cooked food.

Healthy food in moderate proportion is your real medicine.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:23 pm

The discussion is getting derailed on food. Please continue the discussion in a new (or existing) topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

simpleman1

Post by simpleman1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Nectarineman wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:05 pm
Since frugality seems to be a way of life, what did you do today that was frugal?

As for me, worked out at the gym, but shaved and took an extra long shower there to save on my utilities.

:D
Thank you for your question. We do not really do anything that could be identified as frugal. No need. We live and we enjoy life.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:49 pm

I constantly go to a tea shop and order their ice black tea. It comes with a straw. I always don’t use the straw, it because I’m frugal because it is a single use straw and bad for the environment. Yes, maybe bad for my teeth, but I don’t care. Now if they would only serve it in a ceramic mug instead of a disposable plastic cup....

catdude

Post by catdude » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:30 am

I just bought a very Bogleheadish smartphone on sale at Amazon. It's the Motorola Moto G5 plus (64 GB, 4 GB RAM). I'd been thinking about it for a few days, and had decided to wait for it to come on sale. When I saw that Amazon had it for $210, I snapped it up.

I've previously had a couple of Moto G's, so I know that they're good phones. I just can't see spending $700 - $1000 on a phone... no, not for me...
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:45 am

Well, we went to Costco and bought a phone set--5 receivers with batteries and an answering machine for $120. It has Bluetooth capability, if and when we want that as well. Also bought just ONE other thing there instead of a huge amount of "stuff." We were happy to be in and out. Ate dinner we prepared at home instead of going out to dine.

jpsc

Post by jpsc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:29 am

4strings wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:45 am
I never turn on the Heat or AC in my car regardless of how cold or hot it gets to save on gas. Sometimes I wont even turn on the radio as to conserve battery power and demand/stress on the car.
That is silly, you should turn on the heat if it is cold. If you look at the compartment heat diagram, it is extract from engine water/heat radiator, so as the engine is operate normally, the heat by product is FREE, and if you drive up the mountain, the removal of heat is preferred as your main radiator work less to remove the heat. If you want to conserve battery power, you can get a solar panel, and put on your windshield, and as the sun comes up every day, it recharge your car battery.

jpsc

Post by jpsc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:33 am

If you want to be frugal, go to www.freedompop.com and get a cell phone for $19 or so, and setup for one
of those $0/month cellular service (200 minutes of free voice, 500M of data ) per month.

I haven't pay cell phone in years :happy

grettman

Post by grettman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 am

Changed the differential fluid in my 9 year old tacoma (trying to squeeze 15 years out of it).

Tomorrow my new brake pads and rotors should be delivered from amazon.

Doing things for myself that don't cause me a lot of heartburn is probably the most frugal thing I do....

Oh and I pack my lunch at work and limit dining out...

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:27 am

Lynette wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:34 am
I bought a new desktop and to my irritation, Windows 10 on the new machine did not support the driver of my old laser printer. I no longer had the printer disk so I could not install the driver. I needed a printer for a Spanish assignment so I went and bought a new printer from Best Buy and installed it. I was able to get it to print after some hassle. I decided to see if I could get it to work with my Surface Pro 3 or Lenova Yoga Pro. Both went crazy. The Surface would not even boot. Many, many hours later both are fixed. I had to load Windows 10 onto a flash drive and reset the Bios of the Lenova Yoga Pro so that it would recognize a flash drive. I had been looking to buy another laptop!
And people laugh at me when I say I don't upgrade. This is why.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:31 am

cheesepep wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:49 pm
I constantly go to a tea shop and order their ice black tea. It comes with a straw. I always don’t use the straw, it because I’m frugal because it is a single use straw and bad for the environment. Yes, maybe bad for my teeth, but I don’t care. Now if they would only serve it in a ceramic mug instead of a disposable plastic cup....
Ask them not to bring the straw. It's a problem for the environment whether you use it or not if they still bring it. Ask if you can bring a mug.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:57 am

jpsc wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:33 am
If you want to be frugal, go to www.freedompop.com and get a cell phone for $19 or so, and setup for one
of those $0/month cellular service (200 minutes of free voice, 500M of data ) per month.

How do you set up the $0 plan? I explored the website and there was only a $19.99 per month plan.

jpsc

Post by jpsc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:12 am

Caduceus wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:57 am
jpsc wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:33 am

How do you set up the $0 plan? I explored the website and there was only a $19.99 per month plan.
You can call up and talk to their customer support - or follow one of the link on how to set up the basic 200 (for the $0 monthly)
I think last time - I go here - https://forums.freedompop.com/us/discus ... c-200-plan
the direction - https://forums.freedompop.com/us/discus ... o-100-free
and follow the direction on how to setup the basic 200 plan (200 mins voice and 500M data plan for $0)
it's tricky, as Freedompop hide the details - but once you set up - $0 monthly fee.

Ready3Retire

Post by Ready3Retire » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 am

artibug wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:17 pm
Our cabinet depth Viking fridge no longer defrost itself. So now I use a hairdryer to melt the ice forms/blocks the air duct from the freezer to the fridge every 6 months or so. I am not buying a new fridge (only 3 companies makes the size we have, Viking, subzero and something else I forgot because the 3rd option fridge will be 2 feet shorter and require extra cost to have the cabinetry altered) which will cost $~12k plus another $ 700 to install/secure the new fridge to the wall until the compressor dies on us. And no. The prior owner got the fridge not us. It looks like we are stuck with this size unless we want to redo the kitchen in the future. Seriously, I just want to food to be cold. Why in the world do people want to spend that kind of money on a fridge when ones that cost $800 can do equally good of a job?! :annoyed
Artibug-
I had a similar problem with my built in. You likely have a faulty defrost timer or a faulty defrost heater. In my case it was the timer which I had repaired for ~$250. On my fridge, the timer can be manually turned to switch it into defrost mode. 45 minutes later, turn timer to put back into normal mode. Once the timer was replaced, I no longer need to do this.

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:41 am

I am an Amazon Prime member. Benefit is 2-day free shipping, which I only use if needed in a rush. Otherwise, I opt for regular free shipping (5-7 days) and receive a $1 credit towards future video rental stream. Let the credit accumulate ~ $5 and get a free rental every month or so. Interesting to note that the regular free shipping is almost always received in <5 days, so not much of an delay. Every little bit helps.

RandomUser

Post by RandomUser » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:14 am

I shoveled my driveway (live in Northeast). It saves money. You get exercise, avoiding the gym. It also warms you up, so you can set the heat lower.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:37 am

AllMostThere wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:41 am
I am an Amazon Prime member. Benefit is 2-day free shipping, which I only use if needed in a rush. Otherwise, I opt for regular free shipping (5-7 days) and receive a $1 credit towards future video rental stream. Let the credit accumulate ~ $5 and get a free rental every month or so. Interesting to note that the regular free shipping is almost always received in <5 days, so not much of an delay. Every little bit helps.
That's odd.
For the few times I've used the no rush shipping option, I find that the bonus will vary.
Sometimes I get the $1 credit towards a Kindle book. Other times it's a discount on Amazon Pantry. And so on.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:38 am

RandomUser wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:14 am
I shoveled my driveway (live in Northeast). It saves money. You get exercise, avoiding the gym. It also warms you up, so you can set the heat lower.
Right there with you, my friend.
Just finished shoveling my driveway as well. I find that one will do a much better job shoveling by hand than with a snow blower or plow.
Less gravel and debris to rake from my adjacent lawns in the spring as well.

RamblinDoc

Post by RamblinDoc » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:10 pm

I was at the public library with the family and checked out the Bogleheads Guide to Investing (surprisingly, I’ve never read the whole book before). They had free coffee...and I hadn’t shaved in a week.

moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:21 pm

I loaded up the laundry machine today. Clothes came out just fine.😀

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:10 am

My bottle store had nine different craft beer tastings on tap. Felt it. I saved the beer I bought for another day. :beer

biscuit

Post by biscuit » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:50 pm

I bought clearance rye bread and sub read from Walmart for $2. I made a veggie sandwich for lunch using the Rye bread.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Repaired some outdoor xmas decorations vs. replacing.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:08 pm

I installed four 4' LED shop lights in the garage. The old fluorescent fixtures were a buzzing nightmare and the bulbs were fading fast. I need to put two more over the '64 Olds convertible and two or three upstairs in the storage attic.

I don't take one-hour showers, but it wouldn't run the shallow well dry if I did. Twenty-five years and the 20-foot well has never run dry.

Hulk

Post by Hulk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Ate breakfast for about 27c. Bob's Red Mill organic steel cut oats from costco. (not taking into consideration the cost to purchase and boil water, the dash of salt I added, the pot I used to boil, the soap and cloth I used to clean the pot etc. Nor the opportunity cost in shopping for, preparing and cleaning up from a meal. Perhaps a touch more than 27c)

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:31 pm

My old laser printer went to the trash during my last move in September and I was looking for a new laser printer since then. Was to cheap to buy one new from amazon so I was randomly checking out our Goodwill. Yesterday, I finally got one. It was priced out for $10 but they gave me 50% off because the sticker color was on sale for the day. In the end I paid 5 bucks for an almost new Canon laser printer.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:02 pm

I bought 44 LED lightbulbs at my local Ace hardware store, on sale at four for a dollar(!). My outlay was $11 plus tax. I call that a bargain, the best I ever had.

They’re mostly 75W incandescent equivalents (1100 lumens) at 2700K color temperature, some 60W equivalents (800 lumens). The efficiency of these bulbs is 100 lumens/watt.

I tested them and all work.

I may never need to buy lightbulbs again for the rest of my life.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Carson

Post by Carson » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:20 pm

This one is for the ladies...

I went to the nail salon and had them do a ‘polish change’ which was $5 to paint my nails rather than $15 for a full manicure. I don’t have the time or patience to sit in a chair for 30 mins and both will be chipped by Sunday anyway. Nails were investment in my future as I had an important in person meeting at work and needed to present myself well.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:40 pm

Brought my own lunch to work and made an Omelette with mushrooms and cheese for dinner.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 pm
mptfan wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 am
xerxes101 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:48 pm
mptfan wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:40 pm
LadyIJ wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:13 pm

It's worse than cheap - downright dishonest. I wouldn't want a stranger's clothes drying with mine. How do I know what cooties are in it? That is JUST TERRIBLE and possibly illegal!
Ok, calm down. I understand you wouldn't want a stranger's clothes drying with yours, but illegal? Come on. What law was violated?
I think this is the most idiotic and a low-life thing one can do. This is not being frugal; this is downright theft. I believe it is illegal and I am sure if the person doing it is reported, the cop will find a way to write him up, or at least s/he should.
What law was broken?
When I was walking el Camino de Santiago, it was common for several people to share a washer and a dryer at an albergue. Washers and dryers were at €3-€3.5, each. Most people did not carry enough clothes to fill up a machine, and sharing machines saved time so that people would not wait for hours to do their laundry. Note that the clothes we were washing were much dirtier than normal laundry because we were walking in them many hours in cold, heat, rain, and dust.

In my opinion, squeamishness deprives people of valuable experiences.

Victoria
1+ Having done a few miles on the PCT once, I housed 3 pct thru hikers for a night and washed all their clothes while they showered and went swimming at the place we were staying on vacation. Mixing a little soil in the washing machine is nothing..... and a reminder that on the trail none of us were any sweeter smelling than the others, in more ways than one.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:21 pm

Built my own computer (with the help of my EE/CS son) which was a great deal better than one prebuilt, and a heck of a lot better machine with parts that can be replaced and upgrades as needed. Dual bootable also.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:00 am

I stayed home and cleaned up. :beer
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

brandy

Post by brandy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:41 pm

Yesterday I saw the weeds along the street that I am responsible for. I haven't been out for a while and they are there again... :oops: :( :(
Today I prepared my weed killer: vinegar, all the salt it would dissolve, and a healthy dash of liquid detergent in a spray bottle.) I plan to use it and table salt to kill them, but I think many will need pulled. Because it's raining today, I am again :happy frugal by not calling my yard man. Though i may have to next week. I should be able to spray the weeds and spread salt over the next few days if the weather cooperates. I am no longer able to pull weeds myself. :(

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:41 pm

Walked around the neighborhood delivering Christmas cards to my friends and neighbors. Saved a bunch of stamps and had a nice walk at the same time!!