Best deals to buy iphones

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
brad.clarkston

Re: Best deals to buy iphones

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:30 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:33 pm
brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:41 pm
02nz wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:59 pm
HIinvestor wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:42 pm
We pay via autopay, $60 for 2 lines unlimited data, no throttling on TMobile 55+. It’s cheaper and better than the plan we were on before where we paid more for 4 lines and less unthrottled data. I have a line with D as 2nd user on it and H has one with S as his 2nd user.

I have not purchased a new phone but will be considering it one of these days. My 6s is still serving my needs nicely. It was purchased unlocked from Apple store as a Christmas gift from my son.
T-Mobile's 55+ plan now costs $70 for two lines after Autopay. I guess HIinvestor is grandfathered into the $60 rate T-Mobile offered before.

Sprint also has a similar plan at the "same" price. I put "same" in quotes because Sprint adds on a $2.50/line "administrative charge", and all the government taxes and fees on top. So T-Mobile comes out $10/mo cheaper for two lines.
That's a bit disingenuous, Sprint is upfront about the admin fee while everyone else just bakes it into the price. You just doen't know your paying it with the others, we all have that same fee and taxes.
Wait, are you actually claiming that Sprint's extra charges are actually transparent and better? Sprint charges $70/mo for the two-line senior plan, plus $5 "admin fee" for the two lines, plus assorted other fees, some of which are taxes actually levied by the government, and some of which are to "reimburse" Sprint for its expenses. Total charge depends on the area but will usually be close to $85-$90/mo. T-Mobile charges $70/mo for its senior plan for two lines, but all taxes and fees are included in that amount. You pay less per month with T-Mobile. We're with Sprint because they had an unbeatable offer on the new iPhones, not because they have extra charges.

And you might want to check your own facts and math before calling other people "disingenuous."
No that was me trying to be nice. Your obviously do not have any actual knowledge of Sprints back end system - I do.

Sprint hasn't had a "senior plan" for two years we have a "Basic" & a "Plus" plan the difference is free Hulu & Tidal accounts plus a higher throttling limit. *Hulu is on the basic plan but Tidal is only Plus. There's some new insurance stuff like Apple/Samsung forever deals and drop protection but I haven't looked into them yet.

I'm sure there's people on older grandfathered plans but I know the retail side is supposed to soft push people out of those as the new basic plan is better than all of them. Some of the old plans where horrible most of those went away when the board fired the last CEO and Softbank brought in Mr. Claure to turn the ship around.

When I log into my bill and look the surcharge and city/state/fed taxes are all clearly listed just like the other carriers and totals up to the $34 per line for the wife and son -- mine is free but I'm always on-call so there's a catch.

I'll be the first to admit Sprint has a ways to go.
  • The web site is horrible it's easier to pay your bill via cell phone (allot easier).
  • The phone selection out side of Apple and Samsung sucks (I'm an Essentials phone user and would kill for a OnePlus).
  • Leasing needs to go away permanently (it's kind of in the works)
  • CDMA is on it's way out.
  • They installed more cell and micro cell towers this year than the last decade total with allot more to come next year.
It's not the old Sprint you (as in people in general) love to hate.

**** That's not a recommendation for Sprint though. Coverage is dependent on your location pick the best coverage in your area ****

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:39 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:30 pm
No that was me trying to be nice. Your obviously do not have any actual knowledge of Sprints back end system - I do.

Sprint hasn't had a "senior plan" for two years
You don't need knowledge of Sprint's back end system. Their senior plan (modeled exactly after T-Mobile's, just with extra charges tacked on) is right here: https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/55-unlimited.html. I know because we got this plan as new subscribers a month ago. BTW they rolled this out in May of this year (https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/18/1736 ... -available), but maybe you were too busy working on Sprint's back end to notice.

Neoseo1300

Post by Neoseo1300 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:59 am

BHUser27 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:57 pm
FWIW -
Sam's Club is having a one-day event this Saturday November 10th. iPhone X, XS, XS Max and XR purchases will get up to $300 Sam's Club gift card (depending on carrier).

Read the fine print on their add, but I believe the $300 gift card rebate will apply to upgrades as well as new lines.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/pagedetai ... nt-catalog

I am looking for an Xr and will be there when our Sam's Club opens on Saturday.
But that's the issue with this type of offer: to get the rebate, I have to sign up for a 2-year plan with either Verizon, Sprint or US Cellular. On a monthly basis, this discount represents a $13 saving (300/24) for 2 years and then, no discount at all. If I compare Verizon or Sprint's prices with other MVNOs, the price differential on a monthly plan is usually way more than $13 (and this differential will apply as long as I stay with the MVNO), therefore it seems to me that it would be a better idea to buy the phone full price unlocked, and go with the MVNO.

The only scenario where it doesn't make sense is if MVNO really suck (I don't believe they all do) or if you phone is somehow not compatible with them. What do you think?

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Neoseo1300 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:59 am
BHUser27 wrote:
FWIW -
Sam's Club is having a one-day event this Saturday November 10th. iPhone X, XS, XS Max and XR purchases will get up to $300 Sam's Club gift card (depending on carrier).

Read the fine print on their add, but I believe the $300 gift card rebate will apply to upgrades as well as new lines.

But that's the issue with this type of offer: to get the rebate, I have to sign up for a 2-year plan with either Verizon, Sprint or US Cellular. On a monthly basis, this discount represents a $13 saving (300/24) for 2 years and then, no discount at all. If I compare Verizon or Sprint's prices with other MVNOs, the price differential on a monthly plan is usually way more than $13 (and this differential will apply as long as I stay with the MVNO), therefore it seems to me that it would be a better idea to buy the phone full price unlocked, and go with the MVNO.

The only scenario where it doesn't make sense is if MVNO really suck (I don't believe they all do) or if you phone is somehow not compatible with them. What do you think?
In my case, work pays for part of my Verizon bill and the other two phones use very little data. This deal is a decent way for me to upgrade my spouse's phone. In your case, the numbers may not work out. No deal is right for everyone.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:59 am

Neoseo1300 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:32 am
Me and my wife have had our smartphones (Samsung A5 and Iphone 6) for quite some time and we would like to get new ones (our phones are getting very slow, and only have 16gb of storage). We want to buy 2 iphones XS. My question is: what are the best deals available in that situation? We don't mind switching carriers and commit to long term plans (up to 24 months) as long as we don't end up with plans at +$70 (we currently pay $50 each and we don't want to be above that).. We don't mind paying a large sum upfront or spread over several months, as long as the overall value of the offer makes sense.
1) What iOS version are your running?
iOS 12 runs much faster, especially on older iPhones
https://www.cultofmac.com/571183/ios-12 ... ld-iphone/

2) You've lived with 16gb for a while now, how much free memory do you have? Can you clear out some space? If you can get to about 1gb free space, it should help speed.

3) How's your battery? Are you being throttled? Have you replaced the battery? https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news ... -explained
$29 offer ends December 31, 2018 https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

There's a fair chance you can fix some slowness and delay upgrading for a while, or at least giving yourself some more time to find a better deal.

There are other ways to speed up an old iPhone https://www.cnet.com/how-to/ways-to-spe ... r-iphones/ , but the iPhone 6 is nearly the oldest iOS 12 supported phone, but even lesser 5S is still quite a capable phone under iOS 12. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09 ... ly-faster/

So while some problems can be solved, these are very old phones (Samsung A5 is supposedly a 2017 vs iPhone 6 2014), and you should upgrade sooner or later. Hope you find a good deal.

clockman323

Post by clockman323 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:20 pm

BHUser27 wrote:
FWIW -

My wife got a Samsung phone as an upgrade with a $250 gift card last year, so it doesn't seem like the Sam's Club deal needs to be a new line. The deal only applies if you finance the phone through one of the carriers at 0% interest, not if you try to buy the phone outright. This locks you into a 2 year contract at the monthly rate that you were paying anyway. Your bill goes up $30-40 per month while you are paying off the price of the phone.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 pm

Keep an eye on Costco and Best Buy.

Wife bought her phone (Samsung Galaxy S8) at Costco and received a $300 gift card. Wife bought my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9) at Best Buy for $480.
Her phone and my phone were both the newest models when purchased.

Our previous phones (Samsung Galaxy S5) were purchased at Best Buy for $.01 each. I even was gallant enough to buy BOTH our phones, even though cell phones are her bill. :wink:

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Neoseo1300

Post by Neoseo1300 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 pm

Wife bought her phone (Samsung Galaxy S8) at Costco and received a $300 gift card. Wife bought my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9) at Best Buy for $480.

Our previous phones (Samsung Galaxy S5) were purchased at Best Buy for $.01 each. I even was gallant enough to buy BOTH our phones, even though cell phones are her bill. :wink:

Broken Man 1999
But these offers will likely be linked to some mobile plans from carriers, won't they?

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:44 pm

Neoseo1300 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:17 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 pm

Broken Man 1999
But these offers will likely be linked to some mobile plans from carriers, won't they?
Yep. No chance DW will leave Verizon, so not a worry.

I neglected to say that Best Buy had deals on iphones as well as Samsung phones when DW bought my Samsung Galaxy S9. No idea how good the iphone deals were as we have never purchased Apple products, so no reference point.

Broken Man 19999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Neoseo1300

Post by Neoseo1300 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Also I also just saw that the iphone XR can't be bought unlocked? So how am I supposed to do if I buy it with one of the carrier on the apple store and then want to switch carrier?

For example, if I'm currently using my android phone with T-mobile. Now I want to buy a new iphone XR and benefit from the offer from sprint (free for a year), what would be the way to go?

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/f ... mited.html

Because the offer works only if you bring your unlocked phone from Verizon or AT&T.. But if I buy the phone with a Verizon or AT&T sim card, it wont be unlocked..

I really dont get why carriers have such power in the US.. :|

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:08 am

Neoseo1300 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:02 pm
Also I also just saw that the iphone XR can't be bought unlocked? So how am I supposed to do if I buy it with one of the carrier on the apple store and then want to switch carrier?

For example, if I'm currently using my android phone with T-mobile. Now I want to buy a new iphone XR and benefit from the offer from sprint (free for a year), what would be the way to go?

Because the offer works only if you bring your unlocked phone from Verizon or AT&T.. But if I buy the phone with a Verizon or AT&T sim card, it wont be unlocked..

Well, a cell phone without a network is a paperweight.

But, honestly, there are many, many cell plans and cell phones that are offered at very large discounts from the big operators. Bottom line, in reality it is on us, the customers. We are/have been giving a clear signal we will pay the big operators handsomely for their new version phones and their networks.

Basically we line up and collectively say, after their mugging, "Thank you, I'll have another!" and walk away with the newest shiny phone and agreeing to allow them another two years of muggings.

Broken Man 1999

tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 am

Woot.com has refurbished iPhone 6 for $139. I just picked one up for my college aged son cause he’s always breaking his phone. Woot is an Amazon clearance site.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:52 pm

clockman323 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:20 pm
BHUser27 wrote:
FWIW -

My wife got a Samsung phone as an upgrade with a $250 gift card last year, so it doesn't seem like the Sam's Club deal needs to be a new line. The deal only applies if you finance the phone through one of the carriers at 0% interest, not if you try to buy the phone outright. This locks you into a 2 year contract at the monthly rate that you were paying anyway. Your bill goes up $30-40 per month while you are paying off the price of the phone.
These gift card deals, be it from Sams Club, Best Buy or Target, do not typically lock you into a contract. You do have to buy it on a device payment plan. But, a week later you can just pay off the phone and get it unlocked. Then, you can do whatever you want with it. So you are committed to paying for one month of service basically. There are a lot of these offers in the Black Friday ads.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Neoseo1300 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:02 pm

You can ask the carrier to unlock it.

Am I missing something?

Just googled this:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ho ... y-carrier/

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:14 pm

I’ve been told that the iPhones you bought that are linked to a particular carrier may not have all the bands for all the phones. The only way to be SURE to get the phones with all the bands is to buy unlocked phones at Apple store.

If the above info is wrong or outdated, please advise me. The phones that are missing certain bands or capabilities will work internationally but not optimally in the US.

BeTheMatch

Post by BeTheMatch » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:06 am

HIinvestor wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:14 pm
I’ve been told that the iPhones you bought that are linked to a particular carrier may not have all the bands for all the phones. The only way to be SURE to get the phones with all the bands is to buy unlocked phones at Apple store.

If the above info is wrong or outdated, please advise me. The phones that are missing certain bands or capabilities will work internationally but not optimally in the US.
I've bought unlocked brand-new iPhones (older generation) on Amazon and eBay multiple times.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:26 pm

HIinvestor wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:14 pm

It depends. For instance, all iphone XS and XR phones are exactly the same. Some of the earlier phones such as the iphone 6S where the same for all or most versions. The iphone 7 and 8's are not all the same. Though I think the Verizon version is the same as the unlocked version. But I would check on the specs for whatever model you are looking at.