To replace old Volvo

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
1johanna

To replace old Volvo

Post by 1johanna » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:25 pm

My Volvo s70 2000, which I had hoped to keep forever, is beginning to require very expensive repairs. I may have to replace it. However, I'm a senior citizen and may not be driving for more than another five years or so. What do you recommend as a safe replacement?

bloom2708

Re: To replace old Volvo

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Many good cars out there. New and used.

Let's say you put $2,000 in repairs into your car for the next 5 years. $10k.

You could also buy a new $20k car (Toyota Corolla) or a $25k car (Camry or other). To me, those are both much more expensive than $10k in car repair bills. But, there does come a time...

A new car also means higher insurance, license and registration fees every year.

A 2-3 year old car with 25k miles is also an option. Do you drive in winter conditions? (snow, ice).

I'm partial to Ford. Toyota and Subaru are Boglehead favorites. Many car paths to choose from.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

1johanna

Post by 1johanna » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:50 pm

I should add: I don't buy new cars, only used - preferably one-owner used & certified.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:01 pm

1johanna wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:25 pm
My Volvo s70 2000, which I had hoped to keep forever, is beginning to require very expensive repairs. I may have to replace it. However, I'm a senior citizen and may not be driving for more than another five years or so. What do you recommend as a safe replacement?
I'm a Subaru guy and would recommend you take a look at the Forester, Legacy (or Outback), or Impreza depending on your size/space needs. Subaru, after all, is the Japanese Volvo :D

The Forester in particular is popular with seniors because of it's ease of entry/egress, upright seating position, and incredible visibility. Ultimately, great visibility is a feature for most Subarus, but the Forrester in particular excels in this department. When it comes to Subarus, or other Japanese cars for that matter, you may not save a ton buying used over new because these cars hold their value better than domestic and European brands.

1johanna

Post by 1johanna » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Thank you. Will look into it.

FunnelCakeBob

Post by FunnelCakeBob » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:44 pm

I'm partial to Volvos and used to drive an S70 T5 myself. Depending on how long you will remain driving and your budget, a 2-8yo S60 or S80 would fit the bill. Some come with awd and auto stability and traction controls if you do a lot of winter driving in the snow.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Since you already own a high-end Volvo I assume you can afford a nice car. I suggest an Avalon or Lexus ES350. They hold their resale value and are very reliable.
Many new Volvo's are build in China.
Last edited by Blueskies123 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1johanna

Post by 1johanna » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Thank you both.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:01 pm

1johanna wrote:

I recently replaced a 2005 Volvo XC-70 with a 2015 of the same model. If the 2015 lasts as long as the 2005 (also purchased used) did, it'll be my last car, I'm sure. I wasn't interested in a sedan but I also found some good values on both used XC-60's (SUVs) and V-60's (wagons but not as big as XC-70's).
Friar1610

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:07 pm

If you estimate $2000 a year on repairs for the next five years,and you like the S70, just keep it. You could buy another used car and still spend $1000 a year. If you do trade, I would go for the Volvo S60, but really I think you will spend more than if you keep your car. You might get a couple of estimates on your car for the repairs. Also, if you have already spent a couple of big bills for repair, you may be over the worst for a while in terms of repair costs. Also, some mechanics recommendations, such as replacing gaskets for small oil leaks, may not be that important if you drive locally and just check your oil level and top it up if leaking a bit.

The S70 is a great car and the seating comfort I think beats most of the Asian imports. Volvo seats still the best. I would avoid the XC models, several friends have had lots of trouble with them. One had an XC-90, after six months got rid of it and bought a Jeep ( I would never buy a Jeep).

1johanna

Post by 1johanna » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Thank you. I have never had a better car than the S70 and, and I said, had hoped to keep it forever. Whenever I have to rent a car they all seem like tin cans after the Volvo. What I've found though, as a single woman, is that even the best recommended mechanics, tend, over time to take advantage. I've educated myself on the various Volvo forums and found that the mechanics didn't like that at all. But, my preference is still to keep the old Volvo. The newest mechanic is now drawing up a list of what has to be done and has already given me a queasy feeling after hearing: "it is an old car", "we don't charge bargain prices", "many of the repairs done over the years were badly done", etc., etc., And also, I'm just used to how things work within it. But still, I figure I just have to learn what is out there in case he comes up with a telephone number of an estimate.
Again, thank you everybody. This site is just wonderful.
Johanna

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:21 pm

1johanna wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:16 pm
Thank you. I have never had a better car than the S70 and, and I said, had hoped to keep it forever. Whenever I have to rent a car they all seem like tin cans after the Volvo. What I've found though, as a single woman, is that even the best recommended mechanics, tend, over time to take advantage. I've educated myself on the various Volvo forums and found that the mechanics didn't like that at all. But, my preference is still to keep the old Volvo. The newest mechanic is now drawing up a list of what has to be done and has already given me a queasy feeling after hearing: "it is an old car", "we don't charge bargain prices", "many of the repairs done over the years were badly done", etc., etc., And also, I'm just used to how things work within it. But still, I figure I just have to learn what is out there in case he comes up with a telephone number of an estimate.
Johanna
Just as a sanity check, have you considered taking it to a Volvo dealer, to see IF they diagnose the same, er, problems?
(And also double check pricing comparisons, where there is overlap)?

You don't have to have the work done at the dealer, of course.
(We've never been asked to guarantee that any work would be done, etc.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Maybe go with a new or relatively new Camry or Accord.

We know a woman who is still driving at 100!

1johanna

Post by 1johanna » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:37 pm

The dealer in my area charges $100 just to look at the car. The last time I went, they estimated a repair costing $2,500 and when I asked whether that would fix the problem the answer was "oh no, that will just show us what the main problem is"! So, of course, I understand that what they really want to do is sell me a new car....

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:21 pm
1johanna wrote:
Johanna
Just as a sanity check, have you considered taking it to a Volvo dealer, to see IF they diagnose the same, er, problems?

RM
I would drop that mechanic like a hot potato-once he starts bad mouthing previous work and says he doesn't charge "bargain prices", those are clues.
Agree, go to one or two Volvo dealers and get estimates. They may have many recommendations, but have them prioritize them, talk poor, also that you are not going to be trading, this is your last car. Go to two Volvo dealers. Then if you really find there are very serious repairs that must be done, you can decide whether to maybe trade on an S 60. However I suspect there are no really serious problems, and if you are not commuting to work or going on large trips, just keep road service on your insurance, and use the car for going to the store, etc..
Last edited by 4nwestsaylng on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:39 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:47 pm
Many good cars out there. New and used.

Let's say you put $2,000 in repairs into your car for the next 5 years. $10k.

You could also buy a new $20k car (Toyota Corolla) or a $25k car (Camry or other). To me, those are both much more expensive than $10k in car repair bills. But, there does come a time...

A new car also means higher insurance, license and registration fees every year.

A 2-3 year old car with 25k miles is also an option. Do you drive in winter conditions? (snow, ice).

I'm partial to Ford. Toyota and Subaru are Boglehead favorites. Many car paths to choose from.
Why do you think it is cheaper? Seems to me that paying 10k in repairs and ~10k in depreciation puts you in pretty much the same spot. Obviously we are making tons of guess (repairs at 4k/year or 0k) and estimates but I sort of expect you will find that driving an old luxury car costs about as much as driving an newish camry. Realistically we are looking at a 18-20 year old car and hoping to get another 5 years out of it. Thats is a pretty long life.

Seems like the easy solution is to buy a 3 year old s60 (you can get a certified 2016 s60 with 40k miles for 20k from my local dealer) and drive that for another 5+ years. No it isn't going to be the cheapest but it is pretty close to what you are used to and we are not talking huge sums of money differences(<10k over 5 years. I am guessing it will be more like 5k) between these options. I wouldn't want to spend my retirement worrying about my car so I would get something that is going to give 5 years with decent odds of not making many dealer trips.

Obviously you have to decide how much a dollar is worth to you.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:43 pm

1johanna wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:37 pm
The dealer in my area charges $100 just to look at the car. The last time I went, they estimated a repair costing $2,500 and when I asked whether that would fix the problem the answer was "oh no, that will just show us what the main problem is"! So, of course, I understand that what they really want to do is sell me a new car....
No that is totally wrong in my experience. They would much rather you pay the repair money. The profit margins is much higher on that than on selling a new or used car. And of course you will be back in a couple of months for the next repair.:) That sounds like something where they need to take the engine out (or some other decent sized disassembly operation) to see what part is leaking type problem. Some european car models require an insane amount of labor to do things because of the way things are packaged in.

1johanna

Post by 1johanna » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Where is your local dealer with prices like that? Not here in New England I assume.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:21 pm
1johanna wrote:
Johanna

RM
I would drop that mechanic like a hot potato-once he starts bad mouthing previous work and says he doesn't charge "bargain prices", those are clues.
Agree, go to one or two Volvo dealers and get estimates. They may have many recommendations, but have them prioritize them, talk poor, also that you are not going to be trading, this is your last car. Go to two Volvo dealers. Then if you really find there are very serious repairs that must be done, you can decide whether to maybe trade on an S 60. However I suspect there are no really serious problems, and if you are not commuting to work or going on large trips, just keep road service on your insurance, and use the car for going to the store, etc..
Edited to incorporate change to quoted section.
Last edited by ResearchMed on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:52 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:43 pm
1johanna wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:37 pm
No that is totally wrong in my experience. They would much rather you pay the repair money. The profit margins is much higher on that than on selling a new or used car. And of course you will be back in a couple of months for the next repair.:) That sounds like something where they need to take the engine out (or some other decent sized disassembly operation) to see what part is leaking type problem. Some european car models require an insane amount of labor to do things because of the way things are packaged in.
I agree, they make better profit margins on repairs. Maybe if you could get a certified S60 from the dealer and a trade-in price that is in line with Kelley Blue Book dealer wholesale, that would end the "bleeding" of continual repairs for a while, but probably just means you experience the pain of writing out one big cheque for the S60 instead of many repair cheques.

On the other hand, if you are going to drive for the next five years, maybe you would like to enjoy an nice S60 as your last car :sharebeer

1johanna

Post by 1johanna » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Not quite sure what you suggest I do but I doesn't matter. I got the gist of your message & thank you for it.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:56 pm

1johanna wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:54 pm
Not quite sure what you suggest I do but I doesn't matter. I got the gist of your message & thank you for it.
If you are referring to me (RM), I'd prefer that you fix the entry you made that seems to show *me* writing what in fact *you* had written.
It would be simple courtesy.

Thank you.

RM

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:59 pm

1johanna wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:46 pm
Where is your local dealer with prices like that? Not here in New England I assume.
First hit off the only NE zip code I have memorized.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

20.6k, 2016, AWD, 38k miles.

Go to cars.com and see what the LIST prices for used s60 in your hood are. It is a car that depreciates really rapidly right now. It is an old model (just replace for 2019) and they had huge discounts (20%) in those last model years.

Again s60s aren't the cheapest way of going. No luxury car every will be. But I you might find it affordable enough. And they have the best seats I have been in when we are talking the <80k price range.

1johanna

Post by 1johanna » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Again. Thank you very much. I have just done that.

Also, to RM, I would like to respond to your request but I can't figure out how to do it as the responses which are coming in are not always sequential.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm

1johanna wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:17 pm
Again. Thank you very much. I have just done that.

Also, to RM, I would like to respond to your request but I can't figure out how to do it as the responses which are coming in are not always sequential.
Uh oh, I think we - including ME - are confused.

I was trying to get someone ELSE to reformat.

It is 4nwestsaylng who formatted "wrong", not you - sorry!!

If you have a question, maybe PM me?

We've got a wonderful CPO XC60, after finding ourselves in a similar situation ~3 years ago.
(But our 2004 XC90 got it's "$$ fix" - and hasn't needed a thing since. At least we are back to 2 cars :happy )

RM

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:34 pm

This may be a situation where a lease might be considered? Many threads on lease versus buy but in your case you will not be owning a car beyond ~5ish years so a 3-year lease now, then either buy the car or lease another one for another 3 years.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Like others have posted I'd suggest looking for a 3-4 year old CPO or just off lease Volvo. Your current Volvo is 18-19 years old at this point and its reliability will continue to degrade over time to the point where it may strand you at the wrong place and the wrong time.

Modern cars are very reliable when new to middle aged, but when they are more than 15-20 years old they tend to suffer from more than their share of electronic gremlins (ECUs), sensor failures, and failed gaskets and seals (including ABS)- some in critical parts that can affect engine starting and driving. So a 20 year old car might be OK for me (crusty old mechanically inclined geezer) but it is too old of a car for my wife to drive.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:24 pm

1johanna wrote:
What do you recommend as a safe replacement?
I should add: I don't buy new cars, only used - preferably one-owner used & certified.
There are two problems with this;

1) Most of the better cars don't depreciate fast enough to make buying a used car that is less than about five years old a better deal than buying a new car with a full warranty.

2) A lot of the new advanced safety features have come out in the last two or three years. A few cars older than that would have some of them as an option but they may be harder to find.

I would love to get a good deal on a used late model Toyota or Honda but for at least the last 15 years buying a new Honda or Toyota has made more sense because the used cars were too expensive.

In your situation I would be tempted to look at buying a new Toyota, which has many safety features standard or a Honda with the optional safety features. They would come with a three year full warranty and a five year power train warranty.
bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:47 pm
I am not sure that is right. With either of those cars they would have a high resale value when they are five years old.

You can also get a new Corolla for a lot less than that. I bought a 2018 LE Corolla back in January for a bit over $15K plus about two thousand dollars in local taxes and registration fees.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:41 pm

helloeveryone wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:34 pm
This may be a situation where a lease might be considered? Many threads on lease versus buy but in your case you will not be owning a car beyond ~5ish years so a 3-year lease now, then either buy the car or lease another one for another 3 years.
Volvos often have very good lease deals so yeah it could be considered. I am guessing that buying a 2-3 year old with a CPO type warranty is still going to be a bit cheaper. I would be a bit concerned about 5 years stretching into 10 also:) It is one thing to really cut down the frequency of driving. It is another to stop totally. But I also don't know if we are talking about a 70 year old or a 85 year old:)

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:06 am

Volvo has one of the best CPO warranty's out there. 7 years or 100,000 miles from the date the vehicle was first placed in service.

The new 2019 S60's should be in dealerships Dec/Jan. Volvo does have an early-trade up leasing program. I'd expect you'd find some screaming deals on low-milage lease returns at that time.

I just put $1700 into a new turbo for my XC60 at 149,000 miles on it. It's at 160,000 now and still strong as ever. Once nice thing about getting major work done at the dealership, is the replacement parts will come with a lifetime warranty.

Has a Volvo specific independent mechanic who has a VIDA/DICE setup confirmed the repairs needed?

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:12 am

You know what you should replace an old Volvo with? A new Volvo.

I drove 850 miles over 3 days in a rental Volvo S90. It was sublime. You can get a gently used model (15k miles, 2018 MY) for $33k and this could be the last car you'll ever need. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... =496045223

Here's why you should buy it:
- Safety. Adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist are standard.
- Tech. The only car that can drive itself better is a Tesla.
- Large sedan. Sedans are out of fashion, so there's a sizable discount for people who want them.
- Comfort. I drove the S90 in Florida where the roads are good, but I would guess that it would hold up in worse conditions as well.

I don't know your budget, but I think if you want a car and none of the headache (2018 has almost all of the factory warranty) - I think this is it.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:24 am

RootSki wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:06 am
Volvo has one of the best CPO warranty's out there. 7 years or 100,000 miles from the date the vehicle was first placed in service.

The new 2019 S60's should be in dealerships Dec/Jan. Volvo does have an early-trade up leasing program. I'd expect you'd find some screaming deals on low-milage lease returns at that time.

I just put $1700 into a new turbo for my XC60 at 149,000 miles on it. It's at 160,000 now and still strong as ever. Once nice thing about getting major work done at the dealership, is the replacement parts will come with a lifetime warranty.

Has a Volvo specific independent mechanic who has a VIDA/DICE setup confirmed the repairs needed?
That long warranty was a big factor for us when we purchased the 2014 XC60 in 2015 (almost exactly 1 year "old"/10k miles; it was traded for one of the first new-model XC90's to arrive). That warranty was better than the original owner had, and given the young age, we actually got more total years under warranty "for us" than the original owner would have had if they'd kept the car. Interesting.

We could not be any more pleased with this car.
The seats are *comfortable*.
We ended up with a Turbo (that's what this car was, not our plan), and we really love that pop of thrust, when we enter crowded throughways or even for quick lane changes/passing... but mostly entering highways.
I think DH is "enjoying" driving for the first time. (My first car was a Lotus, so... this isn't quite so new for me, and 2 cars ago, I had another peppy Volvo, which, unfortunately, handled very well everywhere *except* on the ice and snow. AWD after that one!)

The XC60's and XC90's have higher clearance, which is very helpful getting over the berms left behind from snowplowing around here, including those left across the ends of our driveway :annoyed

RM

1johanna

Post by 1johanna » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:38 am

Oh everyone: Thank you so much. You have given me a lot to think about. Yes, the "new" mechanic is a Volvo specific mechanic and I'm still waiting for his telephone number of an estimate. Depending on how large it is and therefore, whether it is worthwhile to continue coddling this lovely car or whether to bite the bullet and get something else is now the decision, which you have all helped me with.
On another note, if I decide to replace it where could I get the best price for selling it?
Johanna

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:48 am

Just buy a slightly newer Volvo. Have a mechanic look before you let go of the cash. Used Volvos are among the cheapest vehicles available.

1johanna

Post by 1johanna » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:51 am

Thank you. That's just what I'm beginning to think about.
Johanna

hand

Post by hand » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:13 am

I'd echo the points made above regarding newer cars with advanced safety features.

For an older driver / someone focused on around town driving, I would expect that features like automated emergency braking would make the biggest difference in both personal and other people's safety.

"In 2012, one-third of all police-reported crashes involved a rear-end collision with another vehicle as the first harmful event in the crash, and NHTSA believes that advanced crash avoidance and mitigation technologies like AEB systems could help in this area. NHTSA’s extensive research on this technology and on relevant performance measures showed that a number of AEB systems currently available in the marketplace are capable of avoiding or reducing the severity of rear-end crashes in certain situations."

- https://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle-Shoppe ... gy/AEB/aeb