How to Get Rid of My Unauthorized “Two Year Contract” With Verizon

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Small Law Survivor

How to Get Rid of My Unauthorized “Two Year Contract” With Verizon

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:24 pm

I’ve been a Verizon subscriber for more than 15 years - phone, FIOS Internet, TV. I may have had a two year contract with them back in year one, but after it expired I went “off contract.”

Back in June I called Verizon and changed my TV plan from “everything” to just sports/news. The phone rep tried to upsell me on a number of things, but I said no. She also said she was entering me into a new two year contract, and I said “no, don’t do that.” I didn’t want a new contract because I’m considering cutting the landline phone service, and going to one of the wifi TV services, such as Youtube TV.

I got a confirmation email and a “video” that described the changes in my services. Neither mentioned a two year contract.

Two months later, in early August, I logged onto my Verizon account, and I saw that I did indeed have a two year contract (“22 months left …”).

Since then I’ve contacted Verizon via chat, Twitter and phone, in that order. Each time they assured me this was being “expedited” to be investigated and resolved. The phone rep told me that my conversation with the rep in June had been recorded, and they would listen to this to determine what had been discussed. She said she’d be my contact for this issue - it’s been three weeks, and I haven’t heard back from her.

To say this has been frustrating is an understatement. At this point I would name Verizon as the worst customer-service company I’ve ever dealt with. This is a good example of how a company with monopoly power behaves.

What can i do next? I can’t sue them, as a practical matter, since it would end up costing me more than any possible savings if I were to change my plan as described above, not to mention the aggravation. I can’t arbitrate with them, for the same reasons (assuming they claim a contract with an arbitration clause is in existence). They have repeatedly lied to me, so calling them yet again seems futile.

At this point I’d like to get rid of Verizon altogether (Comcast is an option), but i’m trapped in this ridiculous two year contract.

Any advice on how to deal with Verizon would be greatly appreciated.

unclescrooge

Re: How to Get Rid of My Unauthorized “Two Year Contract” With Verizon

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:43 pm

Cancel the contract. If they say you owe them for the remaining 22 months, then take them to small claims court. Unless the value of the contract is over $10k, you should be able to resolve the matter quite cheaply.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:46 pm

See if Comcast will buyout the contract.

Meaty

Post by Meaty » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Ask them to produce the contract (with your signature or recording where you gave verbal authorization). If they can’t/won’t then take it to small claims court

I had a similar problem with Verizon. I eventually talked to someone senior enough that recognized trying to enforce a contract without a signature or recording was unwise. I wonder how often they try this? Some plaintiffs attorney should see if there’s a class.......
"Discipline equals Freedom" - Jocko Willink

aas

Post by aas » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:04 pm

I have been dealing with Verizon for over 6 months due to router rental fees and I am not sure if they have resolve it, I will find out next billing cycle. Yes Verizon have monopoly in my area or completions is worse. To resolve your issue, make sure you speak to a supervisor and have that person call you back instead of speaking with different persons each time to explain your case. It have been very frustrating to deal with them and the next option is to contact BBB,

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:09 pm

If Verizon ends up charging you per the terms of the contract you didn't enter, small claims or arbitration is your recourse. You've made a reasonable effort so far to get them to acknowledge their mistake. Sending a letter is also a good idea.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:12 pm

Send them a letter stating that you did not authorize a two year contract and that you are cancelling your service effect this and that date. Give them the date of your call and suggest that they review the call's recording if they have any doubt that their agent acted against your specific order. Then, if they continue to charge your credit card, dispute the charges.

pennybags873

Post by pennybags873 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:22 pm

I have Verizon for Internet and Phone (landline).
My Phone connection went out so I went to Verizon.com and filled a Work Order.
I was informed it would be a five day wait.

Now this is what you should do:

I went on the internet and found my States Public Utility Commission (I'm in NY)
I filled out a Complaint Form / 3 simple questions.
1) What is the problem ?
2) What did the Utility tell you ?
3) What do you want done ?
The next morning, I looked out my front window and saw a Verizon Repair Crew fixing the problem.

Later that Afternoon, someone from Verizon called me (very decent guy) and gave me his phone number.
He said if I ever have a problem again, give him a call.

Play hardball, don't bother with the BBB.

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:24 pm
Since then I’ve contacted Verizon via chat, Twitter and phone, in that order. Each time they assured me this was being “expedited” to be investigated and resolved. The phone rep told me that my conversation with the rep in June had been recorded, and they would listen to this to determine what had been discussed. She said she’d be my contact for this issue - it’s been three weeks, and I haven’t heard back from her.

To say this has been frustrating is an understatement. At this point I would name Verizon as the worst customer-service company I’ve ever dealt with. This is a good example of how a company with monopoly power behaves.
pennybags873 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:22 pm
Now this is what you should do:

I went on the internet and found my States Public Utility Commission (I'm in NY)
I filled out a Complaint Form / 3 simple questions.
1) What is the problem ?
2) What did the Utility tell you ?
3) What do you want done ?
The next morning, I looked out my front window and saw a Verizon Repair Crew fixing the problem.

Later that Afternoon, someone from Verizon called me (very decent guy) and gave me his phone number.
He said if I ever have a problem again, give him a call.

Play hardball, don't bother with the BBB.
I believe this is the right course of action. You've made an effort to resolve it on your own, and Verizon has shown that they do not care. Contact their regulators and consumer protection agencies.

I had to go down this road with getting HSA funds rolled over. The process inexplicably took more than 8 weeks, and the bank refused to help me via e-mail, phone, or chat. I contacted the CFPB (not sure if they could help here) and two business days later I received an apologetic phone call from a VP, and my funds were released.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:51 pm

in addition to the State PUC, you might also check with your local city hall. (Our internet service provider was approved by the city and the city requires that they meet certain standards and customer protections for the right to serve the city. If they receive a bunch of complaints, their contract to service the city might not be approved.)

msj16

Post by msj16 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Without going into details about my own Verizon problem (landline was not repaired for six weeks!) - I got it resolved by calling the Mayor's office who had a contact person for Verizon. After calling the Mayor's office, lo and beyond, four trucks came out the next day to make sure the problem was resolved that day.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:39 am

I'm the OP. I called them again this morning, and spoke with a "supervisor" (who refused to give me her name). She said she was canceling the two year contract, and she sent me an email confirmation. It showed a cancellation fee of over $300, but she said she was crediting my account by this amount, and I'd see it on my next bill.

We'll see.

This woman could not have possibly come across as more disinterested. It was disheartening. Wow.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:45 pm

If you were to leave Verizon thinking you'd get better customer service at AT&T or Comcast.....

gregchesney

Post by gregchesney » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:28 pm

I had an issue with Sprint and I used the arbitration clause in the contract. Worked great. Below is a link to Verizon’s.

https://www.verizon.com/support/residen ... -mediation

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:20 am

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:24 pm

At this point I’d like to get rid of Verizon altogether (Comcast is an option), but i’m trapped in this ridiculous two year contract.
Kind of like choosing between lethal injection and firing squad...

pennybags873

Post by pennybags873 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 am

OP,
Sounds like this issue is resolved.

Trust, but Verify.
Then put it behind you and enjoy life.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:20 am

pennybags873 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 am
OP,
Sounds like this issue is resolved.

Trust, but Verify.
Then put it behind you and enjoy life.
Doing that, thanks.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am

OP,

If you have a problem, it is easier to deal with Verizon than Comcast. Verizon is regulated more closely than Comcast.

KlangFool

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:34 am

KlangFool wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am
OP,

If you have a problem, it is easier to deal with Verizon than Comcast. Verizon is regulated more closely than Comcast.

KlangFool
+1 I am a victim (I mean customer) of both and strongly prefer Verizon over Comcast. Comcast is much sleazier and their website and online support services much less reliable and tier 1 help desk is incompetent.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:13 am

retiringwhen wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:34 am
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am
OP,

KlangFool
+1 I am a victim (I mean customer) of both and strongly prefer Verizon over Comcast. Comcast is much sleazier and their website and online support services much less reliable and tier 1 help desk is incompetent.
Hard to believe anyone could be worse than Verizon has been in my situation - lied, just outright lied to me repeatedly.

pj1983

Post by pj1983 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:38 am

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:39 am
I'm the OP. I called them again this morning, and spoke with a "supervisor" (who refused to give me her name). She said she was canceling the two year contract, and she sent me an email confirmation. It showed a cancellation fee of over $300, but she said she was crediting my account by this amount, and I'd see it on my next bill.

We'll see.

This woman could not have possibly come across as more disinterested. It was disheartening. Wow.
Too bad you couldn't get her name, it was probably Ernestine.

There's always help at the Verizon Direct forum over at DSLReports, although they seem to redirect everyone to VZ's "social media team" (which you've already tried) these days.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:45 am

The last time I made changes with Comcast, they used an electronic method to verify the contract terms. Basically, the agent sent transferred me to an automated system that read all the contract terms and I had to press 1 (or whatever it was) to accept them.