Priceline hotels?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TresBelle65

Priceline hotels?

Post by TresBelle65 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 pm

Have you used Priceline for hotel deals? good or bad experience?

GuyInFL

Re: Priceline hotels?

Post by GuyInFL » Fri May 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Very good. I use it and hotwire all the time. Stick with 4 star hotels for your first few times. Also checkout betterbidding.com.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:17 pm

Yes, in the past. No issues. Have switched to AirBNB these days.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:18 am

No, but Clark Howard highly recommends and he has a number of articles on the topic.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:10 am

I have used Priceline 150-200 times since May 2002 to book hotels. Priceline and Hotwire are opaque sites which allow hotel properties to sell "surplus inventory" that they could not sell through their normal channels. At least at the beginning, you specified the location, the amenities level,a nd the price you were willing to pay ... and if you were lucky or you did your research, you could get some great rooms at excellent price. My first try landed me the Chicago Marriott on Michigan Ave for $55 per night plus tax and fees which was about $100 cheaper than the weekend rate.

The downside was that you did not know where you were staying until you committed your money. Some people did not read the website and forgot that they bought a nonchangable and non refundable rate.

In recent years, Priceline has moved away from that model. They are basically just another travel website.They offer normal cancelable reservations and some noncancelable. The deals on the non-cancelable are rarely more than 10-20% and often less. They do have EXPRESS deals which are opaque and where you won't know where you are staying until you have paid.

Personally, I have not used Priceline in the last 2-3 years. I find that I get a much better rate booking on the Wyndham, Choice, and LaQuinta websites directly using the AARP/AAA discounts. And all those reservations can be canceled at any time without penalty. Also, I get the program points from the hotel chain.

One of the reasons that Priceline is no great deal is the state of the economy. My best deals on Priceline occurred when the economy was down. As the economy recovered, hotel occupancy has jumped. With the massive overbuilding in the hotel industry with all of the crazy niche hotels these days, I can see that there will be some great deals once the economy tanks.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat May 19, 2018 4:55 am

I exclusively use Priceline Express Deals to book my hotel stays. You don't know what hotel you're going to get in the area but in most cases I can calculate which hotel will be booked by the percentage savings from regular price. I also like that there is often just one hotel choice per star level in each area. This helps me with analysis paralysis through user reviews on which hotel is better.

I booked all my hotels for Boudeaux, Paris, and London a couple of years ago. I recently tried booking my hotel for Boston as I got a $50/night discount through the T-Mobile Tuesday discount. To my surprise, Priceline still had a better price with Express Deals.

It looks like Hotwire is doing the same thing for rental cars. That's my other "go-to" for rental cars.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:51 am

When booking a hotel with Priceline, I have learned the customer rating (1-10 scale) is much more important than the star rating. A nine or above is always great. An eight is usually very good or great. The sevens start to be the lowest that are acceptable, but not great. The sixes and below usually have flaws.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat May 19, 2018 5:53 am

It has been years since I used them or Hotwire so I am not sure how good they are today. I had a couple of good experiences but then got burned when I got booked into a hotel that was in the middle of a major remodel. Not only was it a construction zone with all the hotel amenities shut down but there was very little parking since the parking lot was full of construction equipment and supplies. Fortunately it was only for one night but I have not used them since.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sat May 19, 2018 7:08 am

I use Express Deals somewhat regularly. Make sure you stick with 8+ guest rating, for sure. Some great deals to be had, especially in expensive cities.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat May 19, 2018 7:59 am

I agree with several of the above posters - Priceline in the begining had great prices.
The last few years all of the services had close to the same prices. Many of the different sites
are owned by just 4 companies.

Express deals is one of the few remaining "bargains".
Last Thanksgiving I was able to get a Sheraton for $90 a night in San Francisco by Fisherman's Wharf (on express deals).
Other sites had it for $175.00. But that is rare.

I have been using AirBnB more and more often.

Here are sites that are all owned by the same companies.

Priceline.com Inc.: Owns Priceline.com, Travelweb.com, Kayak.com, Booking,com, cheapflights.com, and Lowestfare.com.

Expedia Inc.: Owns Expedia.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire.com, Venere.com, TripAdvisor.com — plus TripAdvisor subsidiaries CruiseCritic.com, BookingBuddy.com, SmarterTravel.com, SeatGuru.com, AirfareWatchdog.com and IndependentTraveler.com.

Orbitz Worldwide: Owns Orbitz.com, CheapTickets.com and RatestoGo.com. EXPEDIA OWNS ORBITZ

Sabre Holdings Inc.: Owns Travelocity.com, IgoUgo.com, LastMinute.com and the gigantic Sabre reservations system used by the travel industry. Travelocity also powers the search on Yahoo! Travel.

hmw

Post by hmw » Sat May 19, 2018 7:57 pm

I used to use Priceline more often but I have switched to Airbnb and VRBO in the last 5 years.

Sometimes you can get a pretty good deal on Priceline. I just booked OMNI San Francisco on Priceline Express deal this week for a little over $1000 for 5 nights. The same room on Expedia goes for about $1800.

marstaton4

Post by marstaton4 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:51 am

There are some forums such as betterbidding.com which show you deals other people have gotten and what hotels you are likely to get. I would frequently use priceline and hotwire in the past and felt like I usually received fantastic deals, especially with nicer hotels.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:29 pm

Rather late - but to add what I said earlier:
I saw an article this morning (from last month) about why all the hotel bargains are pretty much disappearing. Two sites now control 95% of the hotel bookings.

https://www.checkbook.org/washington-ar ... rgain-7010

It bothered me that Trivago claimed to check all the other sites and report their prices. When I tried them;
all the prices were almost always exactly the same. The article above shows all the sites that Expedia owns
(including trivago).

I do use AirBNB much more often than in the past. The only other option I use is Priceline express deals.
Sometimes I do snag a good one. Currently for anyone using the Capital One venture card- you get 10%
off at hotels.com.

I will try that later this summer if it still is in effect.

Post by 123 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:43 pm

I used Priceline a few times when they had more of the "opaque" deals. One time when I took one of the "opaque" deals I ended up a very nice independent hotel which worked out very well for me. As I checked out the first time the front desk said they would be glad to have me back at the same rate anytime I would choose but that I had to call the hotel directly and say I was referred by "Manager Name". Since I now had a "sure thing" I went back a number of times as business required it. I'm sure my direct calls eliminated any Priceline fees (but I don't know that they were on Priceline after my initial visit). They also said that when I saw "Sold Out" on other hotel websites that did not necessarily mean that they had no space left and that I should still call them if I expected to be in the area.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:57 pm

Why Priceline is short on bargains these days.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 pm
Have you used Priceline for hotel deals? good or bad experience?
Yes. Your experience and price will be identical to most other travel booking websites.

Unless you do an opaque booking, either express or bidding. Know what you're doing with this and you can get exceptional deals IF there is good availability. Note you can't choose hotel and no loyalty programs.

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 am

Also, if you and a friend are booking a room for 2 you might end up with a king size bed when you really wanted two beds.