Considering iPad to replace failing Nexus tablet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jebmke

Considering iPad to replace failing Nexus tablet

Post by jebmke » Sun May 27, 2018 9:43 am

Frequent use (probably 1-1.5 hours per day)
  • Mail (multiple accounts Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo)
  • Other Google functions (Calendar, Contacts, Maps)
  • Browsing
  • News apps (NYT, Reuters ..)
  • Reading Adobe documents
Infrequent but necessary
  • Accessing files from Google Drive
  • Amazon Prime Video
  • Kindle app

I am on my second Google Nexus tablet. The first was a Nexus 7 and the current one is a Nexus 9. Over time, in both cases, the system grew increasingly unstable, freezing up or becoming very sluggish. With my current Nexus 9 the system freezes frequently and randomly reboots. I have done multiple factory resets and the end result is the same. I suspect that the hardware is failing. I am wary of making a third forray with an Android tablet so I am looking at an iPad instead.

I am not particularly concerned about learning a new interface. However, I have no current plans to switch my phone from Android to iOS. So I do have a bit of concern about switching back and forth depending on the device I happen to be using.

Questions:

How concerned should I be about working with a mixed OS environment? Any anecdotal experiences?

Given the uses described above, are there any compelling reasons to reject using an iPad and stick with Android?

How does iOS do with respect to multi-tasking? I find that Android doesn't do well on the tablet. If I send an email and immediately bring up the browser, I often find that when I return to the email client, it has paused all action until the window is the active window. This doesn't usually impact short emails but on occasion I have opened my tablet to discover that an email that I thought went out with an attachment was still pending.

Any input, especially from someone with iOS and Android experience would be very appreciated.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

PFInterest

Re: Considering iPad to replace failing Nexus tablet

Post by PFInterest » Sun May 27, 2018 9:47 am

jebmke wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:43 am
How concerned should I be about working with a mixed OS environment? Any anecdotal experiences?
-- its a non issue especially with google. all the apps are the same. i rock an iphone, ipad, windows laptop and windows desktop. used to have an android phone as well and only switched because wife passed on her phone which was newer than mine haha.
-- i run all those apps you listed on my ipad.

Given the uses described above, are there any compelling reasons to reject using an iPad and stick with Android?
-- no, ipad is the gold standard still. just buy the new base one, youll be fine for years.

How does iOS do with respect to multi-tasking? I find that Android doesn't do well on the tablet. If I send an email and immediately bring up the browser, I often find that when I return to the email client, it has paused all action until the window is the active window. This doesn't usually impact short emails but on occasion I have opened my tablet to discover that an email that I thought went out with an attachment was still pending.
-- definitely sounds like your tablet had some issues. the ipad is liquid smooth and lightning fast....

Any input, especially from someone with iOS and Android experience would be very appreciated.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun May 27, 2018 9:48 am

The iPad is a wonderful device, but it works best when you pair it with a Mac and an iPhone and use Apple's own e-mail, calendar, contacts, notes, etc rather than trying to use Microsoft products.

student

Post by student » Sun May 27, 2018 9:49 am

The android tablet market is shrinking. Go with the iPad and download apps from google including gmail and the transition should be easy.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun May 27, 2018 9:50 am

I too have a nexus 9 and have similar issues with freezing, etc. However before switching from android, consider this Samsung tablet at Costco.

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-Galaxy-T ... NPeoOkcby9

$199 for a nice tablet running android. My wife got one a couple of months ago after her Amazon Fire died. It costs more than a comparable 10 inch Fire, but it seems so much more valuable.

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Sun May 27, 2018 9:51 am

I've had 3 iPads over the years, including the original iPad and the current-generation iPad Pro which I use every day. All 3 of them still work as well (hardware-wise) as they did when they came out of the box. The two older iPads cannot run the latest apps -- Apple will stop offering OS updates for the iPads after 4-5 years and then new apps will stop supporting that OS maybe 2 years later.

So my advice is to buy the hardware soon after it is released -- the regular iPad (not Pro) was just updated this last quarter, so I think this is a good time to buy.

Mixed-OS depends on your personal technological aptitude. It is too much for my parents, one of which still has an Android phone that will be replaced with an iPhone on Black Friday '18.

The iPad version of iOS is fantastic at multi-tasking as of iOS 11. You can have two apps open side-by-side (app must support it, but lots do) and it's easy to switch between apps.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Sun May 27, 2018 9:58 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:48 am
The iPad is a wonderful device, but it works best when you pair it with a Mac and an iPhone and use Apple's own e-mail, calendar, contacts, notes, etc rather than trying to use Microsoft products.
I’ve had no issues using it with Microsoft and Google’s productivity suites. I once had to get my IT support to help me in terms of getting my admin assistant be able to control my calendar, but that wasn’t iPad specific. It’s all relatively straightforward, but the process is a little different with each company (Apple, Microsoft, Google).

I’ve had a good number of issues with every laptop I’ve owned, including many MacBooks, but I’ve never once had a problem between the four iPads I’ve had.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sun May 27, 2018 10:30 am

Costco has the ipad pro 256gb wifi model on sale - $650 ($120 off). 5/23 - 6/17.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Sun May 27, 2018 10:33 am

I have an Android phone and iPad and they work perfectly together as I am mostly in the Google environment. Mail, calendars, files and photos are all on sync.

Also, since I use Project Fi for phone service I get texts and calls on my iPad.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun May 27, 2018 10:33 am

mpsz wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:51 am
Mixed-OS depends on your personal technological aptitude.
Thanks; I am above average on technical aptitude. I was mainly concerned that the differences might be distracting - like driving on the left side of the road vs. the right.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:35 am

The 2017 iPad is on sale for $250. Pretty good deal. Great for travel. Another option is a larger phone. Galaxy S9+, Pixel XL 2, iPhone 8+. But at $250 you might as well get one.

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Sun May 27, 2018 10:50 am

Went from Nexus 7 to iPad. Took awhile to get used to it and am really happy with the larger screen size. I agree that one might want to load the Google apps on it. You can cluster apps into one icon for organization.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sun May 27, 2018 10:57 am

I use an iPad and an Android phone. No issues. There are iPad versions of all the apps you mentioned.

Honestly the iPad is a much better device than any of the Nexus tablets. Multitasking in particular is much better on the iPad. You can run apps side by side, drag and drop, etc.

nexesn

Post by nexesn » Sun May 27, 2018 11:02 am

+1 Vote for iPad. I find it to be a much more natural feeling device. It also responds in a much more natural manner when scrolling through sites, tapping on things, etc.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun May 27, 2018 11:25 am

I compute on a Dell Desktop. Otherwise the household includes an iMac, two iPads, and two iPhones. I don't see any reason not to go with the iPad which is satisfactory in my eye except for word processing and spread sheeting. For browsing for any length we use desktops with mouse and large screen display. iPads and iPhones are fundamentally ergonomic crap for most uses, but we all put up with it and worship the Emperor with No Clothes.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun May 27, 2018 11:27 am

I started with a Nexus 7 tablet. The UI was fine, but I did frequently have problems with auto-rotate failing. I finally gave up and bought an iPad Air 2, and have been very satisfied. (In fact I’m posting this from the iPad.)
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sun May 27, 2018 11:39 am

I used to be all Android, but my Nexus 10 had the same problems. I made the switch to an iPad last year and could not be happier. Android tablets are a dead end now.

I still use android phones, and I loaded my iPad with gmail and google maps apps. My laptop is all windows. Mixing environments works fine for me.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun May 27, 2018 11:46 am

Thanks for all the great input. Sounds like mixed environment won't be a problem.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sun May 27, 2018 12:26 pm

My wife and I have iPad Pros with Apple Pencil.

Really like them.

The pencil is worthwhile if you like to make notes.

Don

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun May 27, 2018 12:47 pm

Check out the Fire HD 10. I recently sold my iPad Pro 10.5 and replaced it with a Fire HD 10, which I got for less than $100 after various promos. Of course the iPad is a better, more powerful tablet, but I'm actually finding the Fire HD 10 very well-suited for my use, which lines up almost exactly with the OP's. I installed the Google Play store on the Fire HD 10 so now I can use any Android app, not just Amazon's small selection of Fire OS apps (no you don't need to "root" the tablet - just Google for instructions, it's very straightforward). I like that you can actually use a Bluetooth mouse with the tablet - this is very useful when working in Word/Excel (I have Office 365). Best of all I don't have to worry about losing/damaging a $600+ tablet. I previously lost an iPad on a plane and got another one crushed by an airplane seat, so having something far less expensive means one less thing to worry about.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sun May 27, 2018 12:59 pm

I have an iPad and have been disappointed. It drops wifi randomly. This seems to be a common problem on iOS devices.

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Sun May 27, 2018 1:08 pm

golfCaddy wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:59 pm
I have an iPad and have been disappointed. It drops wifi randomly. This seems to be a common problem on iOS devices.
I've had no issue like this in a wide variety of environments. Maybe the signal strength is weak?

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sun May 27, 2018 1:16 pm

BlueEars wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 1:08 pm
golfCaddy wrote:
I've had no issue like this in a wide variety of environments. Maybe the signal strength is weak?
If you go here and search, https://discussions.apple.com, you will see lots of reports on this issue.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun May 27, 2018 1:17 pm

No issues switching between my iPad and my Samsung Android phone. Very similar UI actually.

I bought an iPad 2 in 2011 and got 5-1/2 years out of it. It eventually got slow and I experienced a lot of what you mentioned with the Nexus tablet - when switching between apps, you’d often lose what you had been doing in the other app. I think this was a result of insufficient memory on my old iPad. Since switching to an iPad Pro 9.7 in 2017, I’ve not had any issues with multi-tasking.

I use my iPad constantly and would not hesitate to recommend it to others - a fantastic piece of technology overall.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun May 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 1:17 pm
I think this was a result of insufficient memory on my old iPad.
I noticed that the 2018 iPad still has only 2gb while the Pro has 4gb of main memory [plus a faster processor]. My experience with laptops is that more memory is key. Even some of my old laptops that I service for TaxAide run Windows 10 fine if they have a lot of memory despite old processor.

student

Post by student » Sun May 27, 2018 2:02 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 1:35 pm
Kenkat wrote:
I noticed that the 2018 iPad still has only 2gb while the Pro has 4gb of main memory [plus a faster processor]. My experience with laptops is that more memory is key. Even some of my old laptops that I service for TaxAide run Windows 10 fine if they have a lot of memory despite old processor.
This is correct. I use my 2018 iPad for email, browsing the internet, messaging, watching youtube and reading news and I have not experienced any problem.
Last edited by student on Sun May 27, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sun May 27, 2018 2:23 pm

I had a Nexus 7, then a couple of Fire's (I don't mind the little $35 one for kindle reading).

A year ago I sprang for an iPad Pro. Yes it cost more. But it is a far superior piece of kit. I didn't have any problem adapting to the Apple way of doing things, though figuring out how to transfer photos and files and music between the iPad, the Windoze desktop, and the Android phone took me a while.

The main thing is that though you have to do stuff the Apple way, the iPad does what it says on the box.

The Windoze and Android stuff works a while, then refuses to behave, until you get a new one.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun May 27, 2018 2:27 pm

obgraham wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:23 pm
The Windoze and Android stuff works a while, then refuses to behave, until you get a new one.
For some reason I have no issues when it comes to Win (desktop/laptop) or Android phone (although the camera doesn't work on my phone, I never used it anyway so I'm not about to replace it for that). My Win systems typically last 8-10 years. I have a 10 year old laptop that runs Windows 10 fine; it has 4gb of memory. I don't use it much but it works fine.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sun May 27, 2018 5:56 pm

jebmke wrote:
Kenkat wrote:
this is a non issue. ios aggressively manages memory. this isnt windows.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun May 27, 2018 6:40 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:56 pm
jebmke wrote:
Kenkat wrote:
this is a non issue. ios aggressively manages memory. this isnt windows.
It aggressively manages memory by taking memory previously allocated to background apps, so you lose your place in the app. For example, when iOS is short on memory, Safari will just reload the page, losing anything typed in a text area. Quite inconvenient when typing a long Boglehead post.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun May 27, 2018 7:10 pm

I move between Apple, Android and Microsoft products without any difficulty. But the device I use most of the time is my Chromebook as I like a real keyboard. I use the Kindle Cloud reader most of the time to read books. I like a real keyboard so my Chromebook is the one I use most of the time despite having multiple other devices. When I travel I take my Surface Pro 3 on which I have installed the Kindle App. Once you get used to them, there is no problem. An app is an App and a browser is a browser.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Mon May 28, 2018 6:48 am

golfCaddy wrote:
Not sure how this is a common problem. I've had many iOS devices and never had an issue. At work we have thousands of iOS devices and this isn't a problem. Searching the apple support forums will show problems with almost anything but it's pretty small relative to the huge number of devices out there. Wifi issues are typically the result of wifi setups themselves.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

gd

Post by gd » Mon May 28, 2018 6:55 am

I have two iPad 3s that still look like new and work ok, mostly, as long as I restart it at least every day or two and I am patient with the increasing performance lag in all the apps I still use. That's the good news. The bad news is it slowly doesn't matter, because Apple won't run iOS 10 on them, and many of the apps I was using are no longer supported on 9. In some cases- every weather app I've found acceptable, for example- they have been actively disabled. I expect you'd be fine if you are allergic to electronic devices more than 2-3 years old.

The first thing I learned when I bought them years ago is to give up the idea of "cross-platform" between Apple and anything else. You drank the Koolaid or you didn't. Perhaps others who like cloud services more than I do can now use non-Apple services to bridge the chasm more effectively. I would stick with Android if I were in your situation; the idea of navigating both the Apple and Google roach motels does not appeal to me.

mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze » Mon May 28, 2018 11:43 am

golfCaddy wrote:
Not really. Not common at all.
According to the rest of the internet.
At least the tech sites specializing in such reporting.

I wander android,ios,mac os, win and linux.
for the pad phone environs i have settled on the ios (ipad/iphone) world.
it takes some getting used to but the interplay between devices is pretty good.
I use icloud,photos, google drive, google calendar, gmail, etc. it all works well

if you decide on the ipad consider that your next phone may be an ios device also.

just my $.02.

steadyhand

Post by steadyhand » Mon May 28, 2018 12:04 pm

Was a long term Android phone user. Got an IPad2 in 2012. Still using the iPad today, though a bit slow now. It’s reliability has made me switch phones as well to iPhones mainly for reliability. I like products that go on and on until I decide to change them out, not the other way where I am forced to.

The iPad may make me do the unthinkable- switch laptops to Macs as well. This should give you an idea of how much I recommend this product.

For full disclosure, I do own a little bit of Apple stock in addition to what is there on indexes funds.

dual

Post by dual » Mon May 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Infrequent but necessary
Kindle app
Due to the Apple tax, you cannot buy ebooks from the Ipad Kindle App. You can buy them by logging in to your Amazon account on the Ipad browser and then downloading to the App.

Chip

Post by Chip » Mon May 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Have you considered a Surface Pro? That's where we ended up after an iPad2 and then a Samsung tablet. While they both did several things quite well there was always some sort of major flaw that kept us from doing exactly what we wanted to do on the tablets. Or required more money than we wanted to spend to get it done.

Our situation:
Windows 7 desktop
Surface Pro 4
2 Android phones
12 year old HP Win7 laptop I still use for Tax-Aide :)

While the iPad is a nice device, using iTunes to transfer music and pictures from a Windows machine is horrific. It's easy to see that Apple wants you entirely in their ecosystem. I call it Apple Jail. Yes, there are ways around it but it shouldn't be so difficult or time-consuming. I suppose my info is dated, however. It's been 4+ years since the iPad was in regular use.

The iPad is now my travel device. I put Kindle & audio books from the library on it. I use the browser and email while traveling. Plus I have some music and photos on it. Though updating them from the Windows machine takes several hours via iTunes so I don't update often.

DW brings the Surface Pro (which is her primary computer at home) on trips. If I need access to an Excel sheet or a Word doc I can do it there with one of our legit copies of Office 2010 (no subsciption, thank you very much).

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Mon May 28, 2018 12:55 pm

Depends how nitpicky you are and if you want to do anything advanced beyond the basic stuff you listed in your post. I've used both iOS and Android (iPhones and Android phones) for personal and work use, and I consider myself a nerdy power user who loves getting really in depth.

iOS really is very smooth and intuitive, but it does have some limitations:

(not an inclusive list)
1. With iOS, you have to pretty much use iTunes when plugging into your computer to do any file syncing or music syncing. I hate iTunes with the fiery passion of too much Mexican or Thai food. With Android, your devices mount as mass storage, and you can drag and drop to your heart's content and see most of the OS's file structure and folders. I love this.

2. iOS really only has one browser engine. I believe it's called "WebKit," which is the guts of Safari. iOS finally allowed for Firefox and Chrome browsers, but they're not the full browser engines and still use the same WebKit engine. On Android, you have a lot more freedom to choose your browser. I personally love Firefox since even on Android, I can still use lots of add-ons (extensions), which you can't do with Chrome or any other browser on mobile.

3. iOS installs an icon to the desktop/home screen for every app installed. To me, this is clutter. They added folders maybe 5-6 years ago in iOS, but it's still a mess. You can't have blank spaces. Can't have widgets on the desktop. I love how Android has an "app drawer" with all the installed apps, but the home/desktop screens are yours to customize however you want. They can be purpose-driven. I have only the most important apps on the Home screen with a Weather widget, and I have calendar widgets on secondary home screens.

4. a) Multi-tasking: We may be using different definitions of multi-tasking. At the OS level -- last I checked -- Android does this better in spades compared to iOS. I can have all sorts of services/processes running invisibly in the background on Android, such as Lookout and Prey anti-virus and anti-theft apps. But on iOS? You have to manually launch Lookout, Prey, and any other app as they can't simply be set up to auto-start on boot.
b) Multi-tasking at the user level? I haven't noticed much of a difference. You can switch back and forth about the same on Android vs. iOS. Someone else commented that the memory management could be different.

For all the basic things you asked about? Mail, news, web browsing, Kindle, PDFs, Amazon Prime videos, etc.? You should be perfectly fine in either OS. For Google Drive? You'll be able to access your Drive documents just fine on the iPad, but I personally love the power that Android gives you in saving and organizing your files on the OS. There's all sorts of File Explorer apps (like ES File Explorer Pro) that give you lots and lots of control and visibility, whereas on IOS all that is locked down for security reasons. That drives me bonkers.

iOS is easy to learn and get used to, and over the years, both Apple and Google have copied and stolen ideas from each other, and there are always pros/cons. Just depends on if you have any deal-breakers or must-haves. I think you'll 99% be just fine, to be honest. They're pretty solidly built and should last several years, and I do like that Apples delivers security updates and OS updates for many years since they control the whole process.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Mon May 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Get a free Telegram account if you want a hassle-free way to transfer non-sensitive images between your new iPad and Android or Windows devices.
Is it too early for an all-bond-portfolio thread?

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon May 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:55 pm
b) Multi-tasking at the user level? I haven't noticed much of a difference. You can switch back and forth about the same on Android vs. iOS. Someone else commented that the memory management could be different.
Thanks. It could be that the limitation of the memory in the Nexus 9 is what is causing the behavior on multi-tasking that I am seeing. I might take a look at the Samsung tablet at the same time I look at iPads. I'm done with Google hardware (tablets). Been burned twice and not going back.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Mon May 28, 2018 3:33 pm

jebmke wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:40 pm
Thanks. It could be that the limitation of the memory in the Nexus 9 is what is causing the behavior on multi-tasking that I am seeing. I might take a look at the Samsung tablet at the same time I look at iPads. I'm done with Google hardware (tablets). Been burned twice and not going back.
Interesting! I just bought a Google Pixel 2 (made by HTC) and I'm liking it so far. I don't have a tablet, but I almost got a Nexus 9 a few years ago, and I've been waiting for Google to update their tablet line to replace the Pixel C, hopefully with something also made by HTC. The Android tablet market is definitely dry right now, especially with Chromebooks supporting Android apps. Mostly Samsung and a bunch of cheaper tablets like Asus, Lenovo. I like that the Nexus/Pixel line gets updates directly from Google...

Thanks for sharing your experience of getting burned twice.

Edited to Add: It looks like the Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 (SM-T835) will be released in June 2018.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Mon May 28, 2018 8:58 pm

I think that the iPad is awesome and that you will love working with it. I use mine way more than I do my laptop these days. I got the first model iPad when it came out and upgraded to the iPad Air 2 in 2014. It’s still going gangbusters. I have zero issues with performance or multitasking. I will probably upgrade again in a year or so when the new iOS comes out.

I believe that there is a bias against the iPad because it doesn’t fit people’s definition of a “computer”—thus the strong preference for chromebooks in many threads. Imo, the iPad is an underrated and underutilized device due to this bias. I do most of my spreadsheet work and other computer tasks on my iPad. The native apps have improved tremendously over the years but you can always use third party apps if that’s your preference. I have several different gmail/google drive accounts to collaborate with others and they work just fine on the iPad but I much prefer the native apps and the Apple ecosystem for personal use. I think Apple has made slow and steady strides to position future iPads as a low end MacBook replacement down the road.

silverlitegs

Post by silverlitegs » Tue May 29, 2018 5:37 am

student wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:49 am
The android tablet market is shrinking. Go with the iPad and download apps from google including gmail and the transition should be easy.
Do you have any hard facts about your claim? Before we figure this is fanboy material....

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-io ... pan-2018-1

student

Post by student » Tue May 29, 2018 5:53 am

silverlitegs wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:37 am
student wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:49 am
Do you have any hard facts about your claim? Before we figure this is fanboy material....

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-io ... pan-2018-1
Not a fan boy. (I own a Nexus 7. It is in storage but I still own it. I had another android tablet that I no longer have. I am currently using an Apple phone and an Android phone.) I think the article is about android software that covers both phones and tablets. Android phone market is good but its tablet market is shrinking. I tried to be careful by saying android tablet market in my original remark. http://www.businessinsider.com/google-a ... zon-2017-6 https://thenextweb.com/opinion/2018/03/ ... -riddance/ https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-ana ... 79975.html

The Kindle Fire has good sales but it is not pure android.

spectec

Post by spectec » Tue May 29, 2018 6:52 am

You can't go wrong with an iPad. You might be OK with a competitor's product, but the iPad is still far and above the best IMO. Sure, it costs more, but I believe you're getting your money's worth with the iPad. And if you don't like the on-screen keyboard, just buy a case with an integral bluetooth keyboard. My personal favorite is the ZAGG line of keyboard cases, and the most versatile within that line is the "Rugged Book" series. It's a heavy-duty case with magnetic hinge, so you can easily detach the iPad from the keyboard if you want to just hold it in your hand. I've bought a ZAGG Rugged book for every iPad and iPad mini I've ever owned.

https://www.zagg.com/us/en_us/keyboards ... ad-pro-9-7
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers