Master Bath remodel price?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SteelPenny

Master Bath remodel price?

Post by SteelPenny » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:17 am

Looking for advice on a 2nd floor master bath remodel.

Approx 130 sq ft. Removing current vanities, tub, shower and replacing all. Planning for quartz counter, heated tile floor, walk-in shower. May need to move some plumbing (moving the toilet ~3 ft.)

It appears the cost may be $30-50k range. The question I have is whether anyone has advice or a general rule of thumb regarding a reasonable cost for a master bath remodel compared to the value of the home.

The value of the home is $550-600k, with most nearby homes built in the late 1990's - early 2000's. We don't plan to be in the home forever, likely 5-10 years. We would treat the bathroom as a luxury purchase for ourselves, but obviously would like to recoup some of the money spent on remodeling with increased value upon selling the home.

The main question is should we try to limit the cost of the remodel to a certain percentage of the home value, perhaps using slightly lower tier materials to keep costs lower in hopes of recouping a larger proportion of the remodel cost? We are in a situation in which we are by no means flipping the house (not even any thought of moving), but we also aren't remodeling our "forever house" -- as I mentioned, likely living in it 5-10 years.

Pajamas

Re: Master Bath remodel price?

Post by Pajamas » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:21 am

If you will be selling in ten years, think carefully about your specific choices. That's enough time for your fresh remodel to look dated.

If there is any way to keep the plumbing, and especially the toilet, in the same place, it would save you a lot of money.

If you are looking at $30-50k, figure it will end up being $60.

earlyout

Post by earlyout » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:24 am

Price is on the high side IMO for 130 sf bath but a lot depends on the quality of the tile, cabinetry and fixtures you plan to use. Moving the toilet is a major expense and may involve taking down (and later repairing) the ceiling below the bathroom to rearrange the plumbing.

magicrat

Post by magicrat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:39 am

How many extra months / years will you have to work to pay for a bathroom? IMO that is the real price tag.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:51 am

How big is your bathroom? My kitchen cost a bit over 30k.

treypar

Post by treypar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:59 am

Our master bath remodel ended up costing $20k. The initial quotes were in the $30-40k range. We decided to reduce the cost by retaining and refinishing the existing cabinets and not relocating any plumbing fixtures. The final result turned out great.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:14 pm

SteelPenny wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:17 am
We would treat the bathroom as a luxury purchase for ourselves,....
The flip side of the luxury is that you will be living in a construction zone for many months and will at least have to move out of the master bedroom while the work is going on. Sometimes that is a necessity if there are problems with the bathroom but to me it the joy of having a new bathroom would be minor compared to the trad-off of living in construction hell for several months.

If you look at several appraisals it will be rare for the quality of a bathroom to make much difference in the appraised price unless there is a problem that needs to be fixed that subtracted value from the house. If you sell the house in 10 years then the bathroom will be ten years old and will no longer qualify as a "new bathroom" in potential buyers eyes so you may not get any extra for the house, but it might help the house sell faster.
SteelPenny wrote:
The main question is should we try to limit the cost of the remodel to a certain percentage of the home value, perhaps using slightly lower tier materials to keep costs lower in hopes of recouping a larger proportion of the remodel cost?
Not moving things around will save a major amount, and make the remodel go a lot faster.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:17 pm

In my experience, the major cost of a remodel is the labor - perhaps 2/3's. And often a contractor will base his estimate as a function of the materials you have selected. For example, you choose to install a $500 tub and the total installed cost will be $1500; install a $1000 tub and the total installed cost will be $3000 - effort in both cases being the same. But by choosing the latter, you have demonstrated a willingness to pay more that the contractor is further exploiting.

OTOH, your objective should be to use materials and decorating that will likely not be dated after 5-10 years. You want the potential buyer to favor your house because they won't have to remodel the master bath (right away). If you want trendy colors, use towels not tile.

In my 2014 remodel of our master bath, a high-end general contractor here in San Diego threw down $60k as an "estimate" using "standard" materials. As we started specifying what materials we actually wanted, the estimate grew in the proportions described above. We ended up buying most materials online and doing most of the work ourselves for $40k. God knows what this would have cost us if somebody else did the work: $100-120k probably.

In my currently underway remodel of our kitchen, a different high-end general contractor quoted $110k in a more detailed and specific proposal given after we fronted $4k for "development". This was down from the $160k he originally quoted. I adamantly did not want to repeat the full year of labor it took for the bathroom, so I was leaning towards the compromised former proposal. Not to be.

I'm doing most of the work on the kitchen anyway and the total cost will be about $65k, assuming (as always) that the cost of my labor is zero.

So, relating to the OP's question.......

IMHO, "over-improving" a house relates to adding a function that is inconsistent with your neighborhood - for example a Japanese bath (ofuro), or an elevator. Sure, you might get lucky and get a potential buyer that considers these things pluses, but most prospects will view these as distractions that they certainly won't want to be paying for. You want competition for your house.

So the trick for you will be to balance remodeling to suit your tastes, to suit the market's (classic) tastes, and to inject such quality that when the bathroom is 5-10 years old it still looks good - preferably (nearly) new. Heuristics as to how much to invest versus the value of the home are not particularly reliable as your "investment" will be 5-10 years old when you sell and you will have extracted 5-10 years of use/enjoyment from it.

Remember you are not recouping a portion, you are recouping dollars. A house with a desireable master bathroom will sell faster and/or at a higher price. Always.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 pm

That sounds like a lot of labor, so you might want to plan on the higher side of the estimate. We replaced the flooring with travertine, nicer fixtures, and replaced the shower tile and door. We paid about $10,000. Watch out for remodel creep. When they broke up the ceramic tile floor, they damaged the kitchen ceiling underneath the master bath. When we repaired and repainted the ceiling, the walls looked dingy. Then the adjoining walls looked dingy, and so on.

Ecorp

Post by Ecorp » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Quote seems fine, that is the going rate for a Master bath.

Any thoughts of DIY? Could do it for prob 20k but will be slower to learn and do the actual work.

Do you actually use the tub? We removed ours, saved on price of new tub and plumbing and have a bench(somewhere to put clothes)

jminv

Post by jminv » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:08 pm

This would be a common quote range for a master remodel. You can save money by waiting until it's off season for building work/winter and working it in stages directly with laborers. Relative received a quote for low 30s for a similar job to yours, got them down to high 20s, then decided to wait and have me help them when I was in town over the holidays. Total job price was 20k, including both materials - which I bought - and labor - found on craigslist and through nextdoor. Even if that's more than you're comfortable doing, you'll get better pricing in the winter months as the building season this year seems to have made a very tight labor market.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 pm

jminv wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:08 pm
This would be a common quote range for a master remodel. You can save money by waiting until it's off season for building work/winter and working it in stages directly with laborers. Relative received a quote for low 30s for a similar job to yours, got them down to high 20s, then decided to wait and have me help them when I was in town over the holidays. Total job price was 20k, including both materials - which I bought - and labor - found on craigslist and through nextdoor. Even if that's more than you're comfortable doing, you'll get better pricing in the winter months as the building season this year seems to have made a very tight labor market.
Sounds about right depending on whether you are going to relocate plumbing and electrical. Those are the more expensive trades that will pull permits.

I'm not sure I would pour $50K into a house I was going to sell in 5 years or so.

My neighbors upgraded their bathrooms, etc. with tasteful, builder grade stuff last year and then sold their house a few months later. My guess was their old bathrooms were so bad that it would be a complete negative for homebuyers...who can't see a diamond in the rough.

If you can do a lot on your own, the numbers will come down a lot. Pinterest and Instagram are your best friends for design inspiration.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:24 pm

I made a mistake on my master bath remodel by withholding only a small amount of the payment due at completion. That and the fact that the business was going Chapter 11, caused the remodel to stretch out almost 4 months. I had no inkling that the company was in financial trouble, until the very end. They had a fleet of trucks, show room, etc. and had been in business for years.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:17 pm

If you can't pay cash you can't afford it. At a minimum this will make you watch every penny closely vs spending the banks loan money. So pay cash or don't do it.

We just did a very nice bathroom remodel, little smaller in square ft for about $22k. We really watched the cost of the materials in particular and had a great contractor that knew we were on a budget and took that into consideration without sacrificing quality.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 pm

We just did a bathroom update. I'm not sure it's a remodel, because we didn't move any walls or plumbing. It turned out very nice. We installed new lighting fixture, bathroom fan/light, vanity, granite countertop, flooring tile, new shower surround, tempered glass shower door, shower and sink fixtures, removed the popcorn ceiling and put up tiles, replaced the trim, and painted. Our square footage is less than 1/2 of the OPs, so not very large. I had budgeted $3k. My $3k turned into $5k very quickly. I just didn't realize all of the little bolts and screws and all those other little pieces (such as tubes and tubes of caulk) that go into redoing a bathroom, plus we had to buy some tools along the way. We stayed with pretty basic colors of black, white, and gray. That way I can add any color towels and it still looks good. We did it ourselves---total pain--but worth it. It took about 4 months because we just worked on it when we had time. My husband pretty much refused to move any plumbing because he knew what all it involved. :happy

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 am

SteelPenny wrote:
The main question is should we try to limit the cost of the remodel to a certain percentage of the home value, perhaps using slightly lower tier materials to keep costs lower in hopes of recouping a larger proportion of the remodel cost? We are in a situation in which we are by no means flipping the house (not even any thought of moving), but we also aren't remodeling our "forever house" -- as I mentioned, likely living in it 5-10 years.
The 5-10 year living situation is the kicker plus if you plan on doing any work yourself OR you being the general contractor. A $30,000 bathroom can easily become $15,000 if you eliminate a contractor.

For example: I moved a toilet, vanity, shower drain, added a second shower valve and a separate tub filler and got a quote for $3,500 from a company (which was a friend of a friend) then found a guy to do it as side work for $600. I pulled the permits and had it inspected, everything was perfect.

Really just depends on how involved you want to be.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 am

Just finished our bathroom remodel the day before Easter. It cost me a whopping $3k for all new fixtures, materials, floor heating elements, etc. I did all the labor.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:57 am

A friend of mine just remodeled their master bath with two new marble topped vanities, an all new shower tiled to the ceiling, new flooring, and trim. There was some re-plumbing involved. They also get new hardwood floors in the master bedroom and new trim. $20k in NY Metro area.

I just got a new marble topped vanity and installed it myself, including some painting, new fixtures, and new trim. Overall cost about $1.1k and it looks great. I'm not a super-handy guy, but I watched enough YouTube videos to be able to do a quality job. Years of This Old House probably helped too. You might be surprised by what you can do yourself.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 am

I do not know where you live but you need to do some serious shopping.That is very expensive.The prices I am seeing here are normal only for people who hire the most expensive contractors in their area who are no better than others you can find with a little effort,unless you live in a non competitive area with few options.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

Green Nut

Post by Green Nut » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:44 am

WOW, I am in the middle of budgeting my master bath remodel which is about 110 sq ft and I'm adding 10% fluff and barely getting $6500. Triple it and its still no where near the $50k you were quoted, even with moving plumbing and adding a dedicated circuit for the floor heat. If you cannot DIY I understand, but at least get more quotes. If you do spend the $50k please post a link to the pics!

3dream3

Post by 3dream3 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:48 am

We just remodeled our master bath late last year for $16k. It's also 2-3 times bigger than yours and we replaced everything which included new walk-in shower tile/glass door, freestanding tub, double vanity/marble tops, new toilet, additional lighting and moved a couple of drains a bit. I know it's all relative to location but I'm in agreement with some of the others in that your quotes seem high. We got quotes for labor alone (although a couple also quoted with allowances for certain things). A couple of quotes came in at about $25-$30k. Either they didn't want the job or would take the job if paid very well for it! Also, we ended up doing this in late fall/winter so that might have played a role in cheaper labor too.

Now, the materials were really up to us on how expensive we want to go so knowing how much labor is going to cost, we could determine what we felt comfortable spending on materials without cheaping out. I think that was the hardest part of all... a lot of time spent online and in showrooms! To go back to your original question... we really didn't have a formula to calculate how much our budget should be. It was more of "what are we comfortable spending"? Our magic number was $20k and it was nice to come in under that.

HereIAm

Post by HereIAm » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:58 am

Holy cow. I don't know where everyone is located who is throwing out these numbers but I'm currently flipping a house in Indiana. Kitchen, and 2 full bathrooms. Down to the studs in both bathrooms and down to bare drywall in the kitchen. So all new cabinets, counters, vanities, toilets, one tile shower, and one tub/shower combo, flooring, light fixtures, etc The total cost will be just around $20k.

As some people have said, labor is the killer. Try to do things yourself. Youtube is a great resource. You could mess up 3 times with something buying new products each time before you would be at the cost of a professional contractor doing it.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:58 am

The more I read articles about the cost of remodeling the more I realize that many authors are clueless.There are people that just go in to the local fancy showroom and drink the kool aid they are giving them and overpay by tens of thousands of dollars.When I owned my carpet business we would do jobs for 4000 that another fancy showroom dealer did for 8000 with identical materials.When it comes to remodeling and flooring the pricing differentials are nuts.
With that being said you need to research the company and find referrals because not all lower cost options are created equal.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:05 pm

We are spending about $50k right now on master bath. Similar size. Similar 5-10 year time horizon. House $750-850k value. We are not going all out so, for example, got a $1,000 bath tub instead of a $5,000 one. However, for the most part getting nicer quality stuff. Heck, the "bath tub filler" is $1,500. Who knew it could cost that much for such a simple item (that's on the cheap side)!? Lol. Enjoy it for 5-10 years and it should be easier to sell. If you go a little cheap now, you won't fully enjoy it, and will you really gain anything by not spending a few extra thousand dollars!? We are also doing heated floors which was my desire. :) Enjoy it!

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:08 pm

HereIAm wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:58 am
Holy cow. I don't know where everyone is located who is throwing out these numbers but I'm currently flipping a house in Indiana. Kitchen, and 2 full bathrooms. Down to the studs in both bathrooms and down to bare drywall in the kitchen. So all new cabinets, counters, vanities, toilets, one tile shower, and one tub/shower combo, flooring, light fixtures, etc The total cost will be just around $20k.

As some people have said, labor is the killer. Try to do things yourself. Youtube is a great resource. You could mess up 3 times with something buying new products each time before you would be at the cost of a professional contractor doing it.
That's awesome! I am jealous. We got multiple bids and kitchen and 3 bathrooms will be over $150k in Cali. We are using quartzite and other nicer materials but certainly not all top of the line.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:21 pm

LarryAllen wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:08 pm
HereIAm wrote:

That's awesome! I am jealous. We got multiple bids and kitchen and 3 bathrooms will be over $150k in Cali. We are using quartzite and other nicer materials but certainly not all top of the line.
We remodeled our kitchen and 2 baths in the Bay Area for 33,000.All new cabinets and a good amount of granite in the kitchen.New showers and vanities in both baths.New flooring in all 3.Medium grade materials and custom installs.You must have a huge kitchen,large baths and be doing some major changes.You are talking almost 20,000 per bath and 100,000 for the kitchen.There are a lot of areas where one can buy a nice large home for that :D

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:08 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:21 pm
LarryAllen wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:08 pm
HereIAm wrote:

We remodeled our kitchen and 2 baths in the Bay Area for 33,000.All new cabinets and a good amount of granite in the kitchen.New showers and vanities in both baths.New flooring in all 3.Medium grade materials and custom installs.You must have a huge kitchen,large baths and be doing some major changes.You are talking almost 20,000 per bath and 100,000 for the kitchen.There are a lot of areas where one can buy a nice large home for that :D
You done good!

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:23 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:21 pm

I think it is a real plus that you renovated all the bathrooms and the kitchen at the same time in a similar manner. It always seems very odd to me when all of the bathrooms and the kitchens in an older house look very different from each other because of renovations at different times with no thought of how they coordinate. One bathroom might be from the 1920s, another from the 1950s, another from the 1970s. Sounds like it might lend some authenticity and interest to an older house, but it really doesn't. It's more like a facelift on one side of the face only.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:33 pm

3dream3 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:48 am
We just remodeled our master bath late last year for $16k. It's also 2-3 times bigger than yours and we replaced everything which included new walk-in shower tile/glass door, freestanding tub, double vanity/marble tops, new toilet, additional lighting and moved a couple of drains a bit. I know it's all relative to location but I'm in agreement with some of the others in that your quotes seem high. We got quotes for labor alone (although a couple also quoted with allowances for certain things). A couple of quotes came in at about $25-$30k. Either they didn't want the job or would take the job if paid very well for it! Also, we ended up doing this in late fall/winter so that might have played a role in cheaper labor too.

Now, the materials were really up to us on how expensive we want to go so knowing how much labor is going to cost, we could determine what we felt comfortable spending on materials without cheaping out. I think that was the hardest part of all... a lot of time spent online and in showrooms! To go back to your original question... we really didn't have a formula to calculate how much our budget should be. It was more of "what are we comfortable spending"? Our magic number was $20k and it was nice to come in under that.

I’d love to get pictures of your remodel. We’re starting the process now on a 120 sq ft master bath. Gut job. Toilet doesn’t move, nor do the two sinks. Tub moves a little bit shower moves a lot. I’m anticipating quotes at $40K on average, but if it’s closer to $20K we will jump right in!

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:51 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 am
SteelPenny wrote:
The 5-10 year living situation is the kicker plus if you plan on doing any work yourself OR you being the general contractor. A $30,000 bathroom can easily become $15,000 if you eliminate a contractor.

For example: I moved a toilet, vanity, shower drain, added a second shower valve and a separate tub filler and got a quote for $3,500 from a company (which was a friend of a friend) then found a guy to do it as side work for $600. I pulled the permits and had it inspected, everything was perfect.

Really just depends on how involved you want to be.
I agree. Hiring a GC for what are pretty simple tasks adds quickly to the costs. I redid my master. I did pretty much everything, but did hire someone to tile and to repair the drywall and paint. I could have tiled myself (did so in the guest bath), but just didn't want to. I did the electrical and plumbing work, demo, installed the vanity, toilet, etc. With a little knowledge and time put into managing the project, I think you can save quite a bit of money even if you do none of the actual work yourself.