what is the best mouse poison?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
F150HD

what is the best mouse poison?

Post by F150HD »

what is the BEST mouse poison a consumer can buy? (due to EPA I guess the older DCON pellets are no longer available)

Have tried the refillable DCON bait stations, but the mice seem to eat it and I'm unclear if its working (have several in one area of the house). I see 'green droppings' by some of the bait stations, so, clearly they eat it but it doesn't work right away or at all :?:

Finally bought a similar refillable TOMCAT bait station , just put it out the other day, its untouched as of yet. The bait is similar to the DCON bait, so guessing it'll have the same result....?

I seem to have more mice this year that do NOT respond to peanut butter on classic snap traps. I am unsure why. Have tried 2 types of peanut butter, then bought a spreadable chocolate....they just don't go for it. Multiple traps out (not just "1"). So, resorted to poison.

Have tried sticky glue traps- several around the house now, only caught 1 mouse w/ them way back in Dec.

Have read dozens of articles, read about dozens of products, unsure where to go at this point.

Notes: not interested in 'humane' traps or moral discussions about getting rid of mice. Thank you.

Also, I did a forum search but no real luck specifically addressing the best poison. Am aware I need to locate where and how they are getting into the home, as its winter its tougher to look outside under snow to find entry points. I replaced a sidewalk this summer right by the house so guessing that could tie into it somehow. Can use steel wool to jam into entry points....but that is TBD

Have only had a stray mouse or few in the past several years so unsure why this year I've had more then in the past. TBD

Am looking at this Havoc product, but want to read more on it.

Thanks for any input. City home, not rural. No pets so no issue putting poison in the home.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
2comma

Re: what is the best mouse poison?

Post by 2comma »

We used to have good luck with peanut butter lately apple slices have been working better in the traps. I never liked the poisons because they have a tendency crawl up into bad spots and die and stink.
If I am stupid I will pay.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

We used to have good luck with peanut butter lately apple slices have been working better in the traps. I never liked the poisons because the mice have a tendency crawl up into bad spots and die and stink. We have a problem with roof rats, I wish they were mice.
If I am stupid I will pay.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

I just take the batteries out of mine.

:sharebeer
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

I'd exhaust all of the mechanical solutions before using poison, due to birds of prey getting poisoned by dead mice (possibly). I've used these before:
http://www.kaputproducts.com/solutions- ... ype/mouse/ with success but went back to mechanical traps.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

2comma wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:46 am We used to have good luck with peanut butter lately apple slices have been working better in the traps. I never liked the poisons because they have a tendency crawl up into bad spots and die and stink.
they also crawl outside and get consumed by other animals so the poison moves through the food chain.

I have had very good luck with snap traps and peanut butter. Only need them in the winter when the mice come in from outside. Other seasons the snakes, owls and hawks take care of them. In fact, last winter we had a black snake winter over in the attic. I didn't catch a single mouse up there last year.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord »

I've had good success baiting the classic snap traps with old bread that would have otherwise been thrown away. Since the snap traps are so inexpensive, during the cold times of the year I tend to keep a dozen or so scattered throughout the house.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Jiff Creamy Peanut Butter
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

jebmke wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:09 pm
2comma wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:46 am We used to have good luck with peanut butter lately apple slices have been working better in the traps. I never liked the poisons because they have a tendency crawl up into bad spots and die and stink.
they also crawl outside and get consumed by other animals so the poison moves through the food chain.

I have had very good luck with snap traps and peanut butter. Only need them in the winter when the mice come in from outside. Other seasons the snakes, owls and hawks take care of them. In fact, last winter we had a black snake winter over in the attic. I didn't catch a single mouse up there last year.
Great advice. You don't want to poison any pets in the area who eat the dead mice. Just use traps and be patient.
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

Don't use poison. Not because it's inhumane, but b/c it's not worth the trouble (not to mention you may be imposing an externality on your neighbors). What if that mouse decides to get stuck within the walls of your (or your neighbor's) house? The result is a rotting carcass in a place you can't access. They don't eat the poison, stumble a few steps, and die in a place where you can see just because you'd like it to happen, they'll die whenever and wherever; alas why the standard trap or glue trap would be better.

Also, as you haven't needed to clean up after a poisoned mouse, know that a few of the poisons (especially coumarin/warfarin) will cause them to bleed out (it's a blood thinner, after all). You may end up cleaning up after mouse blood on the carpet as well...
F150HD wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:52 am I seem to have more mice this year that do NOT respond to peanut butter on classic snap traps. I am unsure why. Have tried 2 types of peanut butter, then bought a spreadable chocolate....they just don't go for it. Multiple traps out (not just "1"). So, resorted to poison.
Where did you set up the traps, and how many is multiple? For a 550 sq ft studio, I laid down 18 traps at somewhat even intervals along the walls. They scurry along the walls, and it would be a waste to place one anywhere else (unless it that place is the back of a bookshelf, etc. Better yet, place the traps where you know they congregate or where you see droppings. Replace the peanut butter regularly (every month or so), as the mouse will not go after stale PB. Once you've gotten 3-5 of them, you are less likely to see more, as they'll go bother someone else.

Also, which snap trap did you use, and where did you place the peanut butter? I use one of these. Place peanut butter/nutella/whatever other goodie into that curled part, as it would require the mouse to stick its tongue in there and set off the trap. DO NOT use the design with the fake cheese; those do diddly.
Another option you haven't mentioned is the electronic zap traps.

Also, I did a forum search but no real luck specifically addressing the best poison. Am aware I need to locate where and how they are getting into the home, as its winter its tougher to look outside under snow to find entry points. I replaced a sidewalk this summer right by the house so guessing that could tie into it somehow. Can use steel wool to jam into entry points....but that is TBD
Have only had a stray mouse or few in the past several years so unsure why this year I've had more then in the past. TBD

Thanks for any input. City home, not rural. No pets so no issue putting poison in the home.
So this is not a new issue. The sidewalk may have opened up a previous unpassable barrier, but the main issue is that there has been and still is some access point(s) into the house. Block off those asap. As to why you are seeing an increase, if there has been local construction or demolition of any sort, that'll explain it. Also, it's been a brutally cold winter.

Hire a terminator, and let him/her go through the walls. They'll know where to look, but generally you are looking at walls near pipes.

When you say city home, I presume stand-alone house or townhouse/rowhouse?
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

To directly answer your question: if the TomCat product is bromethalin then you have a good one right there. It takes time for the rodents to get used to it as they are surprisingly finicky about trying new baits.

It also takes time as it has to be ingested over several days to actually do the job so it does not bioaccumuate to affect predators as old-school baits were prone to do. The only thing you will hopefully notice is that gradually the bait is left more and more alone and you stop seeing droppings. Make sure the bricks are secured in a bait station so desired animals can't get to it and so the rodent doesn't take the bait to its nest where if the entire family expires in your walls you will know it for many months.

With six bait stations on my property I use to go through 36 of the little TomCat bricks every month. Now I barely use half-nibbled 6 and then only because the bricks get rancid after about a month and need to be tossed.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I use snap traps with peanut butter and a half a dozen sunflower seeds, they can't resist.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

As far as locating entry points, mice detect heat leaks and squeeze (under the siding) into the house wherever they detect heat. You're not likely able to find these places with the naked eye. I've having an energy audit done soon (subsidized cost to me: $149). They'll spend about six hours at the house; their test will detect, among other things, heat leaks.

In the meantime, check out this video, it's amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SIlYiiCGLI

And the other videos on his channel. This guy is a mouse killing machine.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
mxs

Post by mxs »

I agree, set up enough traps that they can't help but trigger them. If you think you have 5 mice, put 10 traps out minimum. Also, set them on pieces of cardboard or something sturdy that you can just throw all away, cardboard, trap, mouse and all. Much easier to clean up.

Post by 123 »

Kitty cat
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Look up "bucket trap." Buy Home Depot bucket. It's amazing. Not the most humane but neither are poisons...
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
Momus

Post by Momus »

Use The Better Mousetrap. It's really better than a regular crappy wooden metal trap... Buy 6-12 and set it all at the corners and walls where mice run. Mine never fails to catch them in a day or two.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The typical baits sold at Home Depot and Lowe's work fine. We just put chunks of TomCat green bait out in the attic where our dog can't get to it. We don't put the bait into "stations." When we smell a dead rat, I go looking for it and if I can find it, I just put it in the garbage. If I can't find it, the smell goes away in a week or so anyways. Every couple of weeks, I make sure green bait is available in the attic to whoever wants it.

Of course, rats are into Happiness: https://vimeo.com/244405542
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mikestorm

Post by mikestorm »

I swear by Warfarin. In fact I pop some every day.

Seriously though I've had good luck with these Tomcat kill and contain traps (caution: video shows trap in action)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_fTjx49ges
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

I used to deal with this at my mother's house. I tried all the poisons and traps but I either felt they were messy, inhumane, or if they died in the walls, stunk up the place for days.

What I then tried was the Rat Zapper and it was the best decision. Quick, humane death, non-messy, re-usable, and easily re-loadable. Just put a piece of dry food at the end of the trap, like dog food, and wait for results. I definitely recommend it.
Seal the Deal

Post by Seal the Deal »

A little almond butter and cheese worked last summer. The kids enjoyed watching the little mouse scurry off into the woods. It was a live trap.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Never a glue trap again. Caught a small squirrel with one in my attic. All glued up. Then what?

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-Class ... pper&psc=1

A little peanut butter or a few sunflower seeds. Works for mice (or larger), chipmunks, etc.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I use snap traps and poison. Poison has its place.
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

Just One BIte

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Cobblers-Far ... use+poison

set a few of these litte logs out and you won't have a mouse problem anymore
Dudley

Post by Dudley »

Forget poison, its nasty and largely ignored.
Nothing beats the little old fashioned traps.
Mice run along edges. Place the traps orthogonal to the wall with the trigger end against the wall. Don't even bother with bait. The mice simply run across the trigger. Place many down at one in the area as the mice get wind of it.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Here is an example of what poison can do:
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
Best Wishes, | Joe
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Thanks for replies. It appears some responding didn't read my initial post that well.

Anyway, saw 2 new things worth trying. I like the 5 gallon bucket lumberjack log idea.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Not sure if it will make any difference, but use gloves when handling all the traps and bait. Otherwise they might smell the scent and ignore the trap...
queso

Post by queso »

flossy21 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:01 pm Just One BIte

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Cobblers-Far ... use+poison

set a few of these litte logs out and you won't have a mouse problem anymore
I use Just One Bite as well, but it's part of a larger mouse control system that I call my "kill board". It's basically a 4' 2x12 that has three snap traps baited with peanut butter on it and a log of Just One Bite nailed to the end. The poison is really only a fallback plan since I don't check the trap every day. There's a chance that they will clean my snap traps or I'll have n+1 mice where n was the number of snap traps I had so the poison is to catch the one that otherwise would have gotten away. I also have an electronic mouse trap (Victor), but it has proven to be pretty useless so far. Caught a shrew once and a few camel crickets (blows them apart...kind of interesting actually) but that's it. Still a fan of the simple snap trap. This sits back in an enclosed crawlspace so the board makes it easier for me to just grab the end of it, drag it out, remove the bodies and rebait/rearm.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

My contractor said he made a mint when a customer used poison to kill a mouse - and it died in the walls.

Best of luck.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Another vote for traps over poison. They work and no issues with vermin dying in inaccessible areas. The old-school wooden traps are still the best. I've not had good luck with plastic safety traps or electronic traps. Peanut butter is good bait, but if you place the traps where the vermin tend to frequent like along the walls of attics (often there is a visible trail) they will even work without bait.

The main thing is you want quite a few of them. One or two traps is not enough. Buy two dozen and place as many as you can without endangering pets or children. Finally, you want to seal off entries/exits to the home/attic/crawlspace (easier with rats than mice). Put galvanized steel mesh over the holes- it can be secured with a staple gun. Foam and other soft materials can be chewed through.
mouses

Post by mouses »

If you poison mice, you are poisoning hawks, owls, cats, and other animals that prey on mice, through secondary poisoning.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I'll put in another vote for traps due to effectiveness aside from moral concerns. We use the tomcat brand and they seem to work well.

We discovered that crystallized honey works really well as a bait when we were out of peanut butter. Just moved into a new house and 4 traps have killed about 8 mice now. The previous owner left a glue trap just out of reach in the crawl space and it has accumulated another 3 or 4 mice since our house inspection. I think we have gotten most of them because the catch rate has dropped off now.

At our old house we had some rats that became trap shy and tried a non toxic poison that is essentially just really salty food pellets. The theory is that they overdose on salt and if something else eats the remains it wont be enough salt to kill anything up the food chain. The rats went for it but we aren't sure if it worked because they started getting caught in traps again after a week or so.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Best mouse poison I ever found was a hungry cat.
nickjoy

Post by nickjoy »

Don't worry about the poison getting into other animals. That's phooey and hasn't been back up by any scientific study. That mountain lion having traces of poison in him doesn't mean anything. You probably have traces of tide pod in you right now from absorbing it through your fingers. Big animals take a lot more poison to go down that a 2 oz. mouse.

Poison is just a blood thinner so whenever they get hit or a small cut internally or externally, they bleed out. How much blood thinner do you think a mountain lion needs to die from it? A lot more than a mouse.

Just put out a crap ton of rat poison, regardless the brand. They'll eat it. Especially if you're locking down your food, which you should be doing by now.

I would also suggest the mechanical traps, but if they aren't going for it, they aren't going for it. Spend 30 bucks on rat poison and put it friggin everywhere.

If you know where the entry points are, you can fill the holes with caulk. The main thing is that the mice can't be allowed to physically push it out of the way (like steel wool). I used this foam called 'great stuf' and god damn does it work, but you gotta be careful with how you put it, otherwise it will be unsightly. If you can stick an unsharpened pencil in the hole, mice can get in there.

This is all assuming you don't have dumb kids who'll eat the poison around your house.

BB guns also work if you have a weekend you don't have any plans for.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We do not have mice in our house. We have field mice (voles) outside, and these voles do not hibernate, but eat certain perennial roots all winter. University studies showed that voles will multiply faster than you can trap them. University suggests poisoning them. When cats would be effective, then there would be no voles!
In 6 locations I use 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe with elbows (shape of a Z, placed above ground) and put broken up Tomcat squares in it, and it helps, but I have to do that all year. I have seen a dead vole only once, they must die underground.
mkc

Post by mkc »

nickjoy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 am Don't worry about the poison getting into other animals. That's phooey and hasn't been back up by any scientific study.
A search on secondary rodenticide poisoning turns up many studies.

Here's one discussion http://www.audubon.org/magazine/january ... have-safer

The following site links many studies http://www.raptorsarethesolution.org/sc ... -wildlife/

It is a very real problem for raptors and for domestic pets who might come across a poisoned mouse. Here in Texas the barn owl population is particularly hard hit.

Michelle
nickjoy

Post by nickjoy »

mkc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:27 pm
nickjoy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 am Don't worry about the poison getting into other animals. That's phooey and hasn't been back up by any scientific study.
A search on secondary rodenticide poisoning turns up many studies.

Here's one discussion http://www.audubon.org/magazine/january ... have-safer

The following site links many studies http://www.raptorsarethesolution.org/sc ... -wildlife/

It is a very real problem for raptors and for domestic pets who might come across a poisoned mouse. Here in Texas the barn owl population is particularly hard hit.

Michelle

First one doesn't have any actual studies that are peer reviewed. They're just counting [(removed) --admin LadyGeek] and the article, which is meant as an emotional piece, doesn't even link to the actual study.

The second one, come on, I'm not gonna read all those.

But, it seems like a lot of those studies (and the ones mentioned in the first link) are all from commercial rodentcide/pesticide use and look at the amounts in predators, not how they get in them. It's a leap. Also, residential use is much different from commercial. Putting rat poison over 1000 acres is a completely different animal than putting rat poison in your house. People putting rat poison in their house means predators must get them via eating poisoned animals, a lot of which will die in the house or in a location that the predator won't find them. Assuming that all poison gets into them from residential use completely discredits all possibility of spraying crops/trees with pesticides (popular in agriculture), the effect of rainwater running the pesticide into streams and rivers, and other animals getting minutia amounts that can possibly build up in predators.

EDIT: If you're really worried, put out vitamin K. That's the cure for common rat poison.
MrMojoRisin

Post by MrMojoRisin »

heartwood wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:12 pm Never a glue trap again. Caught a small squirrel with one in my attic. All glued up. Then what?

From Backwoods Bound:

~ 2 squirrels, deboned and cut into chunks
~ 1 can (12oz) cream of mushroom soup
~ 1 can (12oz) cream of chicken soup
~ 1/2 can water
~ 2 - 3 carrots, sliced into 1/4" slices
~ 2 - 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
~ 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans
~ 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced if desired
~ 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
~ salt, garlic powder, parsley, curry, black and cayenne pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients in a crock-pot.

Cook on low for 4 hours or until the carrots are soft.

Serve and enjoy.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Traps are best, I've tried glue and poison and they don't work very well.

I have about 10 of these set up around my property, I check them every couple weeks. I could pay a pest control service to do the same thing.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

The Snap-E trap is the best by far. 6 pack for $14

Much more surface area for the trip mechanism and extremely easy to set.

In the dozen or so mice I've trapped with them not 1 has tripped without killing a mouse. I used peanut butter for bait.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B9XPOO/re ... 96153&sr=1
queso

Post by queso »

wfrobinette wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:52 pm The Snap-E trap is the best by far. 6 pack for $14

In the dozen or so mice I've trapped with them not 1 has tripped without killing a mouse. I used peanut butter for bait.

I've had good luck with this brand as well. Especially if I smash peanut butter all the way to the bottom of the bait well and in all the little holes on the trigger pad. They claim to be reusable, but I have never tested that claim. Gotta draw the frugality line somewhere and for me that line is drawn somewhere ahead of "picking half smashed mouse carcass out of trap to save a couple bucks".
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

midareff wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:03 pm Best mouse poison I ever found was a hungry cat.
Oddly, research does not prove this out. A hungry cat will only hunt when they are hunger. A well fed cat will play with mice at any time. I too will vote for a cat. They have other benefits, such as lowering your blood pressure.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

queso wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:57 pm I've had good luck with this brand as well. Especially if I smash peanut butter all the way to the bottom of the bait well and in all the little holes on the trigger pad. They claim to be reusable, but I have never tested that claim. Gotta draw the frugality line somewhere and for me that line is drawn somewhere ahead of "picking half smashed mouse carcass out of trap to save a couple bucks".
Just grab them by the tail and fling them into the woods or corner of the yard if you can. Something else will clean up the mess. You never have to touch the body of the mouse. Wash use gloves or wash your hands afterwards.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

queso wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:57 pm
wfrobinette wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:52 pm The Snap-E trap is the best by far. 6 pack for $14

I've had good luck with this brand as well. Especially if I smash peanut butter all the way to the bottom of the bait well and in all the little holes on the trigger pad. They claim to be reusable, but I have never tested that claim. Gotta draw the frugality line somewhere and for me that line is drawn somewhere ahead of "picking half smashed mouse carcass out of trap to save a couple bucks".

Emptying these are easy. Just pull back on the yellow piece to set, dump the mouse, disinfect.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

So you know they like and are eating the poison but not sure if it is killing them (and then there are other shortcoming mentioned).
AND
You have snap-traps but they aren't eating peanut butter.

Sounds like the obvious solution is to use your poison with the snap traps.
When I had an issue one year I bought a few dozen traps at once (better discount) and spread them around liberally. The mice couldn't help but run into them.