I have a confession, I am Bogle-Addicted

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
parsi1

I have a confession, I am Bogle-Addicted

Post by parsi1 »

I have been a member for a short time and have just a few posting. But during this short time I have become a Bogle-Addict.
I don’t work much anymore, I don’t eat much. I don’t watch TV and I have not taken the kids or the dog for a walk recently.
All I do is read Bogleheads.Org. My wife is sick and tired of me and is talking about moving with her parents.
Do you all have any suggestion or intervention for Bogle-Addiction.
Thanks and please help.

I am kidding I just had another question, I had a couple of posting and the biggest comments I got (that is really sticking with me) is that you need to stick with your plan and filter out the noise.
Don’t you guys watch CNBC or read Yahoo Finance. Don’t you watch Cramer, recently he is acting like a baby with poopy diaper. Last night he was showing all sorts of charts with lines crossing everything and everywhere.
With so much happening how do you filter out the noise?
chaz

Re: I have a confession, I am Bogle-Addicted

Post by chaz »

Just read the forum wiki.

Good luck.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
rdmayo21

Post by rdmayo21 »

Go watch some Jack Bogle videos, that will usually calm the mind :D
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

"With so much happening", one must come to the realization that you can't do any better than stick with a well-thought out plan.

We all observe the noise, the key is to ignore it.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
coldplay221

Post by coldplay221 »

parsi1 wrote: I am kidding I just had another question, I had a couple of posting and the biggest comments I got (that is really sticking with me) is that you need to stick with your plan and filter out the noise.
Don’t you guys watch CNBC or read Yahoo Finance. Don’t you watch Cramer, recently he is acting like a baby with poopy diaper. Last night he was showing all sorts of charts with lines crossing everything and everywhere.
If you go looking for trouble, you usually find it.
lucky3

Post by lucky3 »

Turn off the TV and go take your dog for a walk!

Lucky3
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

parsi1 wrote: Don’t you watch Cramer, recently he is acting like a baby with poopy diaper. Last night he was showing all sorts of charts with lines crossing everything and everywhere.
I seldom watch Cramer, but when I do its for the great comedy. Its tough to miss him entirely when I'm just channel surfing.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Is there more happening now than 6 months ago or 5 years ago? I hadn't noticed.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Skip all the stuff on TV and just follow the blue line index.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/blue-l ... rcent,333/
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Buy your wife some flowers, take her and the kids out to dinner and soon, you will find the only noise you hear is in front of you. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Toons

Post by Toons »

I can't watch CNBC or Cramer because I have the most basic of basic cable tv plans :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

parsi1 wrote:With so much happening how do you filter out the noise?
I just read all my old posts.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mackstann

Post by mackstann »

TV is such garbage, in my opinion. I only watch specific shows, very occasionally (like maybe a couple a month at most). Usually comedy or political satire.

I just check Google Finance about 1-2 times per day, to see what noise is happening that day, but it's so fickle and irrational that I have a hard time taking it seriously or getting engrossed in it. I just see what the % change is/was, and glance at the titles of any big financial stories. (just to get an idea of how frothy everyone else will be that day, and why)

For example: today, up about 2.3%, that's quite a bit! I think it basically cancels out that big down day we had a few days ago. Apparently people are less worried about Europe all of a sudden? Whatever. Makes no difference to me.
Last edited by mackstann on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

parsi1 wrote:Do you all have any suggestion or intervention for Bogle-Addiction.
Jack's wife may not appreciate other men addicted to her husband. I suggest you think about her while working on your addition.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

Do what Mike Piper does.
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

parsi1 wrote:With so much happening how do you filter out the noise?
What noise?

The trick is not watching or listening to that stuff in the first place. If there is something I really need to know about, the evening network news or the internet news will carry a story. Even a lot of that can be ignored.

Once you realize that certain stations present nothing but "news" 24/7, you realize what they have to do to keep their viewers. The important stuff can be broadcast in 3 to 5 minutes an hour. The rest is filler. They make it as exciting as they can. It's how they make money. Just stop watching it. Your life will be so much more pleasant.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Toons wrote:I can't watch CNBC or Cramer because I have the most basic of basic cable tv plans :happy
I haven't owned a tv for about 20 years. I haven't missed it for a minute and I am grateful for the added time that I have put to better use.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
papito23

Post by papito23 »

Once you have an IPS and things more or less in place, go cold turkey. Block the domain. Focus on other things. My Bogle-addiction came at an unstable point in my life, so maybe I was looking for anything I could "control". Plus I have some addictive tendencies. Time to stop tinkering!
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology
yahoo

Post by yahoo »

Turn it off. Those stations are paid to fill time with noise. As for Cramer , I listened to his books and learned a few things about markets and sectors. However he is an entertainer and not a great stock picker. His website was profiled in a wall street journal article a few year sago. He was comparing his record to the record of the S&P 500 (without the dividends of the S&P) and did not disclose this to investors. When the dividends were added in to the S&P, his record was sligthly worse.