MEMORIAL DAY

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

MEMORIAL DAY

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Today may be the most important American "Holiday" of all -- Memorial Day.

Memorial Day was established in 1868 to honor Civil Was soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the Union and give us the freedoms we cherish. Since that date, over 1,000,000 servicemen and women have died in this nation's wars.

As a World War II paratrooper in one of the the deadliest single battle ever fought by the United States Army (approximately 90,000
American casualties), I will never forget the real hero's of that battle -- the brave men and women who gave their lives so that you and I can live in a free and prosperous society.

Please, never forget what is important about this Memorial Day.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Sun May 27, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Mel Lindauer

Re: MEMORIAL DAY

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

Today may be the most important American "Holiday" of all -- Memorial Day.

Memorial Day was established in 1868 to honor Civil Was soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the Union and give us the freedoms we cherish. Over 1,000,000 servicemen and women have died in this nation's wars.[/u]

As a World War II paratrooper in the biggest single battle ever fought by the United States Army, I can never forget the real hero's of that battle -- the brave men and women who gave their lives so that you and I can live in a free and prosperous society.

Please, never forget what's important about this Memorial Day.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Taylor:

While this day honors those who gave their lives in battle, I also salute the brave warriors like you from "the greatest generation" who fought in WW2 to preserve our freedom and somehow, by the grace of God, managed to survive. I simply can't image your feelings as a young 19-year old paratrooper, hunckered down in a foxhole in the middle of winter with the Germans pounding the hell out of you guys during the Battle of the Bulge. This Marine salutes you and your brethern!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Mel:
I simply can't image your feelings as a young 19-year old paratrooper, hunckered down in a foxhole in the middle of winter with the Germans pounding the hell out of you guys during the Battle of the Bulge.
I remember one occasion after we had advanced to German trenches. I picked a foxhole to spend the night noting that the adjoining foxhole contained two dead German soldiers. Next morning I realized that never once did I think about the two corpses ten feet away...

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hi Taylor,

My father-in-law (Army) was injured by shrapnel during the Battle of the Bulge. He survived and is a constant reminder why I pause to honor this day.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Thanks to all of you for your past, present and future service to our Country.
doublenickel

Post by doublenickel »

I salute my father and his two brothers, all of whom served in the US Navy in WWII. May we always remember their service, all the sacrifices in all wars, and may we ever be vigilant.
Sally

Post by Sally »

I, too, salute all veterans today (including my deceased spouse, a Vietnam Navy veteran (death was military though not Vietnam related).

Regards,
Sally
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

All I can humbly say is Thank You to Taylor and the countless others like him. Without them, their is no we.
kikie

Post by kikie »

Here's to looking forward to it's possible preservation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty
Those who know do not speak; those who speak do not know.