Rick Ferri's ETF Book Is Shipping

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
mdickson

Rick Ferri's ETF Book Is Shipping

Post by mdickson »

FYI - Just got notified by Amazon that my pre-order of Rick Ferri's new ETF book is being shipped!
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Cool, my local library ordered 5 copies and I'm the 1st on the list.
Tet :D
leary

Post by leary »

When I ordered they said it would be shipped on or about December 5th. Have not heard from them since. Hope it is earlier. Did they notify you by e-mail?

Charles
BeachPerson

When will it be available at Borders???

Post by BeachPerson »

From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I also received notice today from Wiley that books are arriving in stores and should be available this weekend (I hope).

The ETF Book points to a database that uses the index strategy classification methodology outlined in the book. That database will be up Monday, if not earlier. The website for the database is www.ETFguide.com (the old site is still up).

The database site can also be accessed through http://www.TheETFbook.com. I figured if a movie can have its own website, why not my new book?

Rick Ferri
Topic Author
mdickson

Amazon Email

Post by mdickson »

Yes I was contacted by email - I preordered the book when Rick first announced it so perhaps I was high up on the list.
Mel Lindauer

Rick Ferri's ETF Book

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I already received my copy directly from the publisher. Rick's publisher (Wiley) just happens to be our publisher too, so they sent me a copy. Now I just need to find time to read it!

Best regards to all,

Mel
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

Will it be coming in paperback?
Joe D

Rick's etf book

Post by Joe D »

Just got word that my copy is in the MAIL !
Hopefully here by the weekend for some super reading and insite.
Cheers
Joe D
Mel Lindauer

Rick Ferri's ETF Book

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Nitsuj wrote:Will it be coming in paperback?
Hi Nitsuj:

Not sure if there are any plans for a paperback at this point in time. However, Wiley (Rick's publisher) is also our publisher. The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing came out in Jan. 2006 and the paperback didn't came out until the end of Sept. 2007. That's a long time to wait if Rick's book follows the same pattern as ours.

Regards,

Mel
leary

Post by leary »

Got an e-mail from Amazon this morning that my book had been shipped last night, so should receive it in the next week.

Charles
Nitsuj

Re: Rick Ferri's ETF Book

Post by Nitsuj »

Mel Lindauer wrote:That's a long time to wait if Rick's book follows the same pattern as ours.
Yep, it is a long time to wait, I just abhor hardbacks though. I wonder if there's plans on an electronic version, would be ripe for my ereader.
stratton

Post by stratton »

I'll be getting mine later. I used Rick's book to pad another order to get over $25 for the free shipping at Amazon. BTW you can pre-order Swensen's 2d ed of Pioneering Portfolio Management.

Paul
Mel Lindauer

Re: Rick Ferri's ETF Book

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Nitsuj wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:That's a long time to wait if Rick's book follows the same pattern as ours.
Yep, it is a long time to wait, I just abhor hardbacks though. I wonder if there's plans on an electronic version, would be ripe for my ereader.
That's a possibility, since there is also an electronic version of The Bogleheads' Guide.

Regards,

Mel
Live Free or Diehard

Post by Live Free or Diehard »

I just got my e-mail. Mine shipped today.
Gordon

Book arrived today

Post by Gordon »

My copy arrived today Saturday December 1, 2007. The hardbound copy costs $22.77 including shipping and handling less a promotional certificate.

If you think that you know all about ETF's wait until you read Rick's book. I found out things that I have never heard about the minute I picked the book up.

Buy Ricks book and throw out your other EFT books or sell them on Amazon as used.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

It has been a couple of weeks.

Any comments on the book? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Post here or send a private message.

Thanks!

Rick Ferri
cannedham

Post by cannedham »

I ordered my copy on Amazon today. I will post here once I have some impressions.

BTW Rick, your book is the #2 most popular in Mutual Funds right now. Congratulations!
Tramper Al

Post by Tramper Al »

Hi Rick,

I still haven't seen it on the shelves at any of our local big box bookstores, and I have been looking!. I'm confident that it will teach me something, or at least get me thinking about something differently. I just wanted to look at the contents and leaf through it before committing.

I really like(d) All About AA, so the risk is low. And expected return is high.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Still waiting for the local library here to have it available Rick. The holds are piling up.

Tet
tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

Tramper Al wrote:I still haven't seen it on the shelves at any of our local big box bookstores, and I have been looking!.
My local bookstores still show it as not published yet. Amazon delivered it within a few days.
As an Enrolled Agent I advise clients about taxes and investments. My work is retiree friendly, geographically portable, mentally stimulating, personally profitable and emotionally rewarding.
stratton

Post by stratton »

Tramper Al wrote:I still haven't seen it on the shelves at any of our local big box bookstores, and I have been looking!.
I saw one last week at a Borders. So they are appearing.

Paul
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Thanks for the feedback. Distribution takes forever but it is finally getting out there. I called a few B&N and Borders stores in MI last week and they had copies.

Rick Ferri
BeachPerson

Picked up mine today at Borders in Sterling, VA!!!

Post by BeachPerson »

I did special order it though.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
tat2ng

Post by tat2ng »

I'm looking forward to buying my copy, and having it handed to me and hopefully signed by Mr Rick Ferri himself :D at the Michigan Diehards 3rd meeting this Saturday....

http://www.diehards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9071

Thad
Eric White

Prepurchased copy arrived and started reading

Post by Eric White »

My prepurchased copy from Amazon arrived and I've been reading it for a few days now. A nice surprise with the prepurchase, actually, since I've been so buried with work.

Rick, I'm up to the point on the development growth of the offerings. I would love to understand more the effect of the 1987 crash on momentum behind the SEC's decision. It seemed like it was simply mentioned without much background; maybe it was cut as an editorial style decision.

Since I'm a younger investor and was not investing yet, I don't understand the dynamics of the 1987 crash the way most of my Boglehead peers do!

Thanks!
-Eric White
ickeal

Post by ickeal »

I will check to see if my library has the book.

Thanks
BeachPerson

Borders is great with special orders

Post by BeachPerson »

I usually just order through Borders. Then I get to use my weekly Borders rewards. The book came in about four days.
TimDex

x

Post by TimDex »

Rick's ETF book is now on the shelves of a local Borders (northern NY). I got my own copy several weeks ago from Barnes and Noble about a week ahead of schedule.

Like the book. Best explanation I've seen of creation units and authorized participants and how the latter act as market makers. I actually read the ETF prospectus from Vanguard when I got it, and couldn't make head nor tail out of those terms.

Not an introductory book, but for someone who has read the introductory type stuff, and is planning to set up an ETF portfolio, I think it would be ideal.

Tim
"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. " -- Pascal
Mel Lindauer

Rick's New ETF Book

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Everyone:

I'm about half way through Rick's new ETF Book, and. IMO, I think it should be renamed "The ETF Bible". Really good, solid information in there!

Great job, Rick!

Best regards to all,

Mel
CountryBoy

Well,

Post by CountryBoy »

Rick, is this good news or bad news?...

I got my wife, the local librarian, to buy the book through our local library.

Country Boy
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

The perfect Christmas gift.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Bogleheads:

I made sure to order Rick's new ETF book (all proceeds go to charity) before leaving on our vacation. It will be the first book I read upon our return.

Rick's book would be the perfect Christmas gift for any investor.

Best wishes.
Taylor
(In Dominica)
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I would love to understand more the effect of the 1987 crash on momentum behind the SEC's decision. It seemed like it was simply mentioned without much background; maybe it was cut as an editorial style decision.

Eric,

ETFs were more a market driven innovation than anything else. I am not sure that the SEC's decision to allow ETFs had much to do with the 1987 market crash. The 1987 crash did show the need for a simple exchange-traded basket of stocks to replace the failed idea of portfolio insurance. That may have helped quicken the exemptions to the Investment Company Act of 1940 through the SEC, but I do not speculate that it helped by a great deal.

The failure of portfolio insurance occurred when no buyers of stock materialized in the rapidly falling market. Futures could be sold, however the futures market 'limits down' and closed while the stock market remains open. As such, a product was needed that traded on the stocks exchange that held a large basket of stocks. Thus, investors could hedge stocks as long as the stock market was open.

Rick Ferri
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Your book finally arrived today Rick, so I started to read it at the coffee shop over a hot chai. Lot's of information! I've really enjoying the history section covering US fund evolution. And the active management styles section is interesting as well--of course I see that you recommend "core" over "explore."

I just have to say "nice job!," Tet
Mel Lindauer

ETF Book Review

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Everyone:

I came across this review of Rick's new ETF Book at Advisor Perspectives. Here's a link:

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/newsltr32-3.html

Regards to all,

Mel
rkbrashear

Post by rkbrashear »

Rick -

Just finished reading your latest ETF book - and loved it,

Thanks for such a great compilation,
Ryan
Levett

Post by Levett »

Thanks for the link to the review, Mel. I've been reading in, rather than through, the book and have learned a lot. I think Rick has a real talent for presenting new material to a "common reader" such as myself.

Once I've finished and digested the contents, I intend to post a review at Amazon. Perhaps others who share our positive views of the book will do the same--both as a gesture of gratitude to Rick for the quality of his work and because the proceeds go to a worthy charitable cause.

Happy New Year all. Bob U.