Top story on Google Finance today

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Top story on Google Finance today

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:04 pm

Found this amusing.
I give them points for candor, anyway.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

bob90245

Re: Top story on Google Finance today

Post by bob90245 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Actually, I don't find "candor" all that unusual. The CEO's and CFO's on the conference call of mid- and large-cap stocks expect a thorough grilling by the Wall Street analysts. These analysts have a knack for sniffing out BS, sugar-coating and damage control. And when that happens, the precious commodity of credibility disappears. Better to lead with honesty rather than be forced out in disgrace when the truth later surfaces, which it eventually will.
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:03 pm

bob90245 wrote:Actually, I don't find "candor" all that unusual. The CEO's and CFO's on the conference call of mid- and large-cap stocks expect a thorough grilling by the Wall Street analysts. These analysts have a knack for sniffing out BS, sugar-coating and damage control. And when that happens, the precious commodity of credibility disappears. Better to lead with honesty rather than be forced out in disgrace when the truth later surfaces, which it eventually will.
I just meant "candor" in the sense of letting it be the top story on their own finance site.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

FafnerMorell

Post by FafnerMorell » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Knowing Google, the story placement was probably determined by an algorithm. They've probably got a dozen PhDs working on tweaking the algo to make sure it doesn't happen again, while trying to be more subtle that "if ((strcmp(sTicker,"GOOG") && (eFincResults == SUCKY)) placement = BURY;"

manuvns

Post by manuvns » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:16 pm

well a top story is supposed to be on top . all that CNBC junk .

natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:19 pm

FafnerMorell wrote:Knowing Google, the story placement was probably determined by an algorithm. They've probably got a dozen PhDs working on tweaking the algo to make sure it doesn't happen again, while trying to be more subtle that "if ((strcmp(sTicker,"GOOG") && (eFincResults == SUCKY)) placement = BURY;"
I highly doubt it.

bob90245

Post by bob90245 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:41 pm

nisiprius wrote:
bob90245 wrote:Actually, I don't find "candor" all that unusual. The CEO's and CFO's on the conference call of mid- and large-cap stocks expect a thorough grilling by the Wall Street analysts. These analysts have a knack for sniffing out BS, sugar-coating and damage control. And when that happens, the precious commodity of credibility disappears. Better to lead with honesty rather than be forced out in disgrace when the truth later surfaces, which it eventually will.
I just meant "candor" in the sense of letting it be the top story on their own finance site.
Ahh... Now I understand.

However, I am doubtful that there is a human who makes the decisions which stories are "top" or otherwise. My guess is that they have multiple newsfeeds (different sources, Reuters, AP, etc.). And the story that comes up "top" the most gets the top billing.
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.

FNK

Post by FNK » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:34 am

FafnerMorell wrote:Knowing Google, the story placement was probably determined by an algorithm. They've probably got a dozen PhDs working on tweaking the algo to make sure it doesn't happen again, while trying to be more subtle that "if ((strcmp(sTicker,"GOOG") && (eFincResults == SUCKY)) placement = BURY;"
Hungarian notation is a MSFT thing. 8-)

But seriously, did you hear about Google publicly punishing itself for inappropriate advertising, or apologizing to a Kenyan startup?

at

Post by at » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:10 am

FNK wrote:
Hungarian notation is a MSFT thing. 8-)
Hungarian notation used to be important when application development is done is C. Nowadays, it's less important with the advent of high-level programming languages such as .Net, Java and PHP.

yessiree83

Post by yessiree83 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:58 am

You expected them to hide the truth?

The company that preferred to be forced out of China than succumb to censorship?

The company whose official policy is "do no evil"?

GOOG is one of my few individual stock holdings.