New Morningstar feature

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
bertilak

New Morningstar feature

Post by bertilak » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:19 am

I just noticed something interesting with Morningstar ETF quotes. They now show TWO quotes:
  • 1. The standard quotes based on trades.
    2. An "intraday value" which is a real-time estimate of the value of the ETF's holdings. Sounds like the NAV, to me.
Basically this shows the details of the premium/discount.

For example right now VSUX shows a quote of $41.23 and an intraday fair value estimate of $40.99. The ratio is 1.0059 and the premium is shown as .59%

It would be interesting if they extended this to Mutual funds. We could then monitor real-time NAV of mutual funds. (I know how Bogleheads love to monitor the value of their investments minute-by-minute :happy )
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

mas

Re: New Morningstar feature

Post by mas » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:40 am

Thats a nice addition, but the information isn't new... if you know how to look it up.

For instance:
http://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/VXUS,%5EVXUS.IV

At yahoo, the IIV was 15 minutes more recent than at M*, when I looked.

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Don't put a lot of trust in these public NAVs because they are delayed pricing. No ETF provider or the traders look at .NAV prices. They have their own systems for calculating real-time NAV.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: flounders in darkness, finds enlightenment, overcomplicates strategy, embraces simplicity.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:Don't put a lot of trust in these public NAVs because they are delayed pricing. No ETF provider or the traders look at .NAV prices. They have their own systems for calculating real-time NAV.

Rick Ferri
Damn! There goes my secret formula!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet