The Three-Fund Portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
SavageBrother

Re: The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by SavageBrother »

I did try to search for answers in this topic, but couldn't really find an answer to my question.

Why is a VT + VTI advised? And not, for example VTI + VXUS?
VT + VTI overlaps on North America afaik.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

SavageBrother wrote:I did try to search for answers in this topic, but couldn't really find an answer to my question.

SavageBrother:

I gave a reply to this question on the first page of this topic. I realize that reply is outdated, but I don't have time now to bring it up to date now.

Edit: It is updated now.

Best wishes
Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
tj

Post by tj »

SavageBrother wrote:I did try to search for answers in this topic, but couldn't really find an answer to my question.

It's not. The Three Fund Portfolio would be VTI, VXUS and BND if you are using ETF's.
Ohalawa

Post by Ohalawa »

3 fund portfolio, I'm a big fan, keep it simple!
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Links to Morningstar Analysis of Vanguard's Three Total Market Index Funds

HuckFinn

Post by HuckFinn »

I'm going to once again vouch for the three fund portfolio and thank Taylor for helping us years ago which resulted in our restructuring our portfolio in this manner. I say this after having had conversations today with our tax accountant about 2016's return and 2017's projections. We are fortunate enough to have a significant taxable account in addition to our tax deferred accounts. Most of our equities are in the taxable accounts parked in The Total Stock Market Fund and Total International Fund. Our bonds are in our rollover IRA's. Any asset allocation rebalancing occurs on the tax deferred side. This drives so much tax efficiency!

What we have been saving in tax and expense ratio probably pays more than half our total living expenses for the year alone.

Thank you again!
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Three-Fund Portfolio Endorsement

HuckFinn:

Thank you for your endorsement of The Three-Fund Portfolio. I am always pleased when I learn of others who have benefited from this simple, sophisticated portfolio.

Best wishes.
Taylor
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

HuckFinn wrote:I'm going to once again vouch for the three fund portfolio and thank Taylor for helping us years ago which resulted in our restructuring our portfolio in this manner. I say this after having had conversations today with our tax accountant about 2016's return and 2017's projections. We are fortunate enough to have a significant taxable account in addition to our tax deferred accounts. Most of our equities are in the taxable accounts parked in The Total Stock Market Fund and Total International Fund. Our bonds are in our rollover IRA's. Any asset allocation rebalancing occurs on the tax deferred side. This drives so much tax efficiency!

What we have been saving in tax and expense ratio probably pays more than half our total living expenses for the year alone.

Thank you again!
Hi HuckFinn -

What a great post and feedback regarding the Three Fund Portfolio. I enjoy posts such as yours and the benefits of the Bogleheads way of investing.

Keep investing simple.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
nervouswreck

Post by nervouswreck »

Dear Bogleheads,
Especially Dear Mr. Larimore,

I have posted my investing story here. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=217492.
After getting burnt in 2008 and sitting on the sidelines since then, I have amassed a library of investing books, hundreds of bookmarks on my laptop and a spreadsheet with countless funds in various permutations and combinations on how to built a bulletproof portfolio.

Then I came upon this thread. I read all 36 pages of it. Deleted my bookmarks, revised my spreadsheet, and will be donating the books shortly. I am mostly in cash now and all of it will will go into the 3-fund portfolio over the next year. Yes, I know lump sum investing is superior to averaging, but I just can't bring myself to do it in this market

Anyway, thank you for the lessons in simplicity and humility.

Not-so-Nervouswreck
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Not-so-Nervouswreck

I am undergoing a (minor) cancer operation in the morning. I appreciate your post.

Best wishes.
Taylor
nervouswreck

Post by nervouswreck »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Not-so-Nervouswreck

I am undergoing a (minor) cancer operation in the morning. I appreciate your post.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Wish you a total and quick recovery.
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

Taylor, I wish you perfect health and a very successful outcome with your present malady.
ALinLI

Post by ALinLI »

Feel Good Talyor. Thanks for all your generous sharing of time and knowledge to this community and the brilliance of the 3 fund portfolio
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Taylor, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Every day is a blessing

Not-so-Nervouswreck; selftalk; ALinLI; radiowave:

Thank you for your good wishes.

I had a recurrence of melanoma cancer on my cheek. The doctor removed the cancer while I was under anesthesia. Prognosis is good.

Every day is a blessing.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

"World's Largest Stock and Bond Funds Report Lower Expense Ratios"

Bogleheads:

Each of the three funds in The Three-Fund Portfolio are now the largest in their categories (investors are catching on). Today, Vanguard announced lower fees:

Vanguard: World's Largest Stock And Bond Funds Report Lower Expense Ratios

Thank you, Vanguard!

Best wishes.
Taylor
SavageBrother

Post by SavageBrother »

Taylor Larimore wrote:

SavageBrother:

I gave a reply to this question on the first page of this topic. I realize that reply is outdated, but I don't have time now to bring it up to date now.

Edit: It is updated now.

Best wishes
Taylor
Thank you very much. Take care.
GunniNC

Post by GunniNC »

So as I'm about to venture into the 3 Fund Portfolio, can you tell me the Admiral,class equivalent to the Investor class of the 3 funds please.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

GunniNC wrote:So as I'm about to venture into the 3 Fund Portfolio, can you tell me the Admiral,class equivalent to the Investor class of the 3 funds please.
GunniNC:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

Admiral class ($10,000 minimum):

Total Stock Market (VTSAX)]
Total International Stock Market (VTIAX)
Total Bond Market (VBTLX)

Best wishes.
Taylor
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Every day is a blessing

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Not-so-Nervouswreck; selftalk; ALinLI; radiowave:

Thank you for your good wishes.

I had a recurrence of melanoma cancer on my cheek. The doctor removed the cancer while I was under anesthesia. Prognosis is good.

Every day is a blessing.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Best of health and happiness Taylor!
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

nervouswreck wrote:Dear Bogleheads,
Especially Dear Mr. Larimore,

I have posted my investing story here. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=217492.
After getting burnt in 2008 and sitting on the sidelines since then, I have amassed a library of investing books, hundreds of bookmarks on my laptop and a spreadsheet with countless funds in various permutations and combinations on how to built a bulletproof portfolio.

Then I came upon this thread. I read all 36 pages of it. Deleted my bookmarks, revised my spreadsheet, and will be donating the books shortly. I am mostly in cash now and all of it will will go into the 3-fund portfolio over the next year. Yes, I know lump sum investing is superior to averaging, but I just can't bring myself to do it in this market

Anyway, thank you for the lessons in simplicity and humility.

Not-so-Nervouswreck
Hi Not-so-Nervouswreck -

This post speaks to me and the beauty and simplicity of the Boglehead way of investing. You were wise to invest the time on this forum and specifically this thread. The Three Fund Portfolio is simple yet sophisticated.

Best.
abuss368

Re: "World's Largest Stock and Bond Funds Report Lower Expense Ratios"

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

Each of the three funds in The Three-Fund Portfolio are now the largest in their categories (investors are catching on). Today, Vanguard announced lower fees:

Vanguard: World's Largest Stock And Bond Funds Report Lower Expense Ratios

Thank you, Vanguard!

Best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Taylor -

Great news from Vanguard again!

The expense ratio for Total Stock Index is now 0.04 and Total Bond Index is 0.05.

Thank you Jack Bogle.
emp2b3

Post by emp2b3 »

Taylor,

Your posts and additional reading at the start of my investing career convinced me of the wisdom of the three fund portfolio. It has served my family well and has freed up time and energy for the more important things in life.

I feel so fortunate that others have fought for so long to lower the expenses and anxiety that are so often associated with investing. Anytime that I start thinking about wanting to tinker or slice and dice I can return to this thread and be reassured about our decision to keep it simple.

I have tried to pay it forward by offering to help out add any family members, friends, and colleagues that I can. Thank you for all that you have done and continue to do.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Jonathan Clements endorses The Three-Fund Portfolio

Bogleheads:

Jonathan Clements may be the most knowledgeable financial writer in the business. He has written over 1,000 Personal Finance columns for The Wall Street Journal and he is the author of five personal finance books. This is what Jonathan wrote in a recent article:
YOU CAN BUILD A GREAT PORTFOLIO (Jonathan's caps) with just three index funds: a U.S. total stock market fund, an international fund that buys both developed and emerging stock markets, and a high-quality U.S. bond fund. Thanks to the ongoing price war among major index-fund providers, all three funds are now on offer at extraordinarily low annual expenses.
I have added a link to the full article (and similar articles), near the end of my Opening Post.

Best wishes.
Taylor
bennettg

Re: The Three Fund Portfolio

Post by bennettg »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
macav933 wrote:Decided to go with a Schwab ETF version of the 3 Fund Portfolio. My question centers around the weighting of the 3 International funds. Your thoughts?

SCHB US Broad Market

SCHZ. US Aggregate Bond

SCHC International Small Cap Equity
SCHF international Equity
SCHE Emerging Market Equity
macav933:

In my opinion, ONE total international market index fund (SCHF) is all you should consider. Jack Bogle (who knows more than we do) believes you don't even need an international fund.

Are you aware that SCHC and SCHE expense ratios are about twice SCHF.

In the 2011 international bear market SCHC and SCHE both fell much more than SCHF. They offered no diversification benefit--only a bigger loss.

Strive for simplicity -- not complexity.

Best wishes
Taylor
Curious if with recent decreased fees if you still feel this way? I'm locked into Schwab from my retirement plan but was contemplating buying vanguard ETFs at Schwab ($4.95 fee each time I bought) to make my 3 fund.

Is it worth buying vanguard ETFs at Schwab with the $4.95 fee each time or are the Schwab versions good enough? And, if Schwab 3 fund version is good enough, do you still think schc and sche still aren't worth the extra expenses ratios after their recent decrease.

Many thanks for considering my questions
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Schwab vs. Vanguard

bennettg:

Be sure to read Jonathan Clement's article, above by using the link near the bottom of my Opening Post.

If you are a happy Schwab customer, I would use Schwab Total Market Index Funds which are now as low-cost as Vanguard.

Best wishes.
Taylor
bennettg

Re: Schwab vs. Vanguard

Post by bennettg »

Taylor Larimore wrote:bennettg:

Be sure to read Jonathan Clement's article, above by using the link near the bottom of my Opening Post.

If you are a happy Schwab customer, I would use Schwab Total Market Index Funds which are now as low-cost as Vanguard.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thanks....forgive me obtuseness....do I correctly interpret your response as meaning that you still believe that SCHE and SCHC are not worth adding to SWISX (SCHF when the question was originally posed)?
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Adding small funds?

Bennetg:

I'm the one who is obtuse:

If I understand correctly, you are asking if you should add small-cap and emerging market funds to the Schwab (total) International Equity Fund which contains only negligible amounts of these two asset-classes.

In my opinion, adding two small funds to a portfolio adds unnecessary cost and is not worth the added complexity in a small part of an overall portfolio. Read the "Simplicity" link below.

Best wishes.
Taylor
bennettg

Re: Adding small funds?

Post by bennettg »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bennetg:

If I understand correctly, you are asking if you should add small-cap and emerging market funds to the Schwab (total) International Equity Fund which contains only negligible amounts of these two asset-classes.

In my opinion, adding two small funds to a portfolio adds unnecessary cost and is not worth the added complexity in a small part of an overall portfolio. Read the "Simplicity" link below.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Many thanks for your response. Good karma to you.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Charting The Three-Fund Portfolio

Bogleheads:

The Portfolio Charts website is featuring The Three-Fund Portfolio. This is the authors' introduction:

"The Three-Fund Portfolio is an investing staple on the fantastic forums at Bogleheads.org. While the allocation percentages are not static and may vary by individual investor, the one represented here is perhaps the most popular starting point."

PORTFOLIO CHARTS

If you like charts -- Have fun.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

"He Has Read Over 250 Investing Books. He Recommends These Three Funds"

Bogleheads:

This is an old post by Physician on Fire, but it explains one reason why I am an advocate of The Three-Fund Portfolio:

He Has Read Over 250 Investing Books. He Recommends These Three Funds

Best wishes.
Taylor
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

"A Vanguard Three Fund Portfolio Just Got Cheaper"

Bogleheads:

"Physician On Fire" posted this encouraging article:

A Vanguard Three Fund Portfolio Just Got Cheaper!

Stay the course.

Best wishes.
Taylor
bennettg

Post by bennettg »

Best wishes.
Taylor
Would you be kind enough to opine on a follow-up question?

My retirement plan will soon be offering Collective Investment Trusts (CITs) from BlackRock. Specifically, they will offer:

Blackrock Equity Index Fund F (S&P 500) CIT (ER=0.0084)
Blackrock Russell 2500 Equity Index Fund CIT (ER=0.0225)
Blackrock US Debt Index Fund F Lending CIT (ER=0.0198)

In looking at the bogleheads wiki on approximating Total Stock Market (Schwab version is SWTSX; ER=0.03), I'd have to use 85% of the Blackrock 500 CIT and 15% of the Blackrock Russel CIT (weighted ER=0.011)....I know that would give me 4 funds instead of 3 funds and reduced transparency without the ticker symbol, etc.

My question: Do you think the lower weighted ER to approximate SWTSX (Blackrock's 500+Russell CITs) and the lower ER on the Blackrock US Debt Index Fund CIT (ER=0.0198) to approximate Schwab US Aggregate Bond Index Fund (SWAGX; ER=0.04) is worth the reduced oversight, decreased less transparency, loss of managing and viewing changes to the value due to the lack of a ticker symbol and the need to use 4 funds instead of 3 funds?

Thank you for considering my question and please let me know if it needs clarification. I'm new to all of this.
mister_sparkle

Post by mister_sparkle »

I have a minor dilemma facing me this week and was hoping to get opinions from others who follow the Three-Fund Portfolio route like I do.

I have received the proceeds from selling my house last summer. Proceeds are $231K, so my bond allocation from this will be 30% or $69K. Right now in my taxable account I only have $4K in Total Bond Fund (VBMFX -- investor shares due to not meeting the $10K minimum), the rest is Total Stock Market (VTSAX) and Total International Stock (VTIAX). I see my options as the following (this is assuming I'm investing the entire amount and not trying to DCA/time the market), given that I am in the 25% tax bracket currently:

1. Buy VBTLX, VTSAX and VTIAX in my desired allocation percentages in my taxable account and not worrying about the tax effects of the bond dividends.

2. Ditto, except substituting a tax-exempt bond fund (or funds) for VBTLX for tax-efficiency purposes.

3. Buying only VTSAX and VTIAX in my taxable account and selling these 2 funds in my tax-advantaged accounts to buy VBTLX to get to my desired allocation. This would leave my tax-advantaged accounts with roughly 90% bonds and 10% stocks.

Thoughts?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

bennettg wrote:

Best wishes.
Taylor

My retirement plan will soon be offering Collective Investment Trusts (CITs) from BlackRock. Specifically, they will offer:

In looking at the bogleheads wiki on approximating Total Stock Market (Schwab version is SWTSX; ER=0.03), I'd have to use 85% of the Blackrock 500 CIT and 15% of the Blackrock Russel CIT (weighted ER=0.011)....I know that would give me 4 funds instead of 3 funds and reduced transparency without the ticker symbol, etc.

My question: Do you think the lower weighted ER to approximate SWTSX (Blackrock's 500+Russell CITs) and the lower ER on the Blackrock US Debt Index Fund CIT (ER=0.0198) to approximate Schwab US Aggregate Bond Index Fund (SWAGX; ER=0.04) is worth the reduced oversight, decreased less transparency, loss of managing and viewing changes to the value due to the lack of a ticker symbol and the need to use 4 funds instead of 3 funds?

Thank you for considering my question and please let me know if it needs clarification. I'm new to all of this.
Don't worry about being new to this. You'll get a much better answer by updating your current thread: Help: Vanguard Total International Stock Market vs. Schwab International Index and ask your question there.

Or, start a new thread in the Investing - Help with Personal Investments and post your info using the Asking Portfolio Questions format. It will help you think about the "big picture" while giving us the info we need to point you in the right direction.

BTW, funds without ticker symbols are private funds. You can get an idea of the fund's underlying composition by the index it tracks.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

mister_sparkle wrote:I have a minor dilemma facing me this week and was hoping to get opinions from others who follow the Three-Fund Portfolio route like I do.

I have received the proceeds from selling my house last summer. Proceeds are $231K, so my bond allocation from this will be 30% or $69K. Right now in my taxable account I only have $4K in Total Bond Fund (VBMFX -- investor shares due to not meeting the $10K minimum), the rest is Total Stock Market (VTSAX) and Total International Stock (VTIAX). I see my options as the following (this is assuming I'm investing the entire amount and not trying to DCA/time the market), given that I am in the 25% tax bracket currently:

1. Buy VBTLX, VTSAX and VTIAX in my desired allocation percentages in my taxable account and not worrying about the tax effects of the bond dividends.

2. Ditto, except substituting a tax-exempt bond fund (or funds) for VBTLX for tax-efficiency purposes.

3. Buying only VTSAX and VTIAX in my taxable account and selling these 2 funds in my tax-advantaged accounts to buy VBTLX to get to my desired allocation. This would leave my tax-advantaged accounts with roughly 90% bonds and 10% stocks.

Thoughts?
Some additional information is needed (like desired asset allocation). Why don't you start a new thread in the Investing - Help with Personal Investments forum and post your info using the Asking Portfolio Questions format? As I stated earlier, the format will make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the info we need to point you in the right direction.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bennettg

Post by bennettg »

LadyGeek wrote:
bennettg wrote:

Best wishes.
Taylor

Don't worry about being new to this. You'll get a much better answer by updating your current thread: Help: Vanguard Total International Stock Market vs. Schwab International Index and ask your question there.

Or, start a new thread in the Investing - Help with Personal Investments and post your info using the Asking Portfolio Questions format. It will help you think about the "big picture" while giving us the info we need to point you in the right direction.

BTW, funds without ticker symbols are private funds. You can get an idea of the fund's underlying composition by the index it tracks.
Thanks....I realize that you are the admin and I am not trying to be disrespectful, but do think my question about cobbling together an approximation of the 3 fund strategy with CITs is a reasonable question in this thread and I hope that Taylor will consider answering.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Collective Investment Trusts (CITs)

bennettg:

Sorry, I don't know enough about CITs (Collective Investment Trusts) to give you a reliable reply.

Lady Geek is right. Please ask your question on the forum where you will get more and better replies.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
bennettg

Re: Collective Investment Trusts (CITs)

Post by bennettg »

Taylor Larimore wrote:bennettg:

Sorry, I don't know enough about CITs (Collective Investment Trusts) to give you a reliable reply.

Lady Geek is right. Please ask your question on the forum where you will get more and better replies.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Appreciate your response and that of Lady Geek.

Have a good day.
dbr

Post by dbr »

bennettg wrote: Blackrock Equity Index Fund F (S&P 500) CIT (ER=0.0084)

ERs as low as what you mention are low enough that there is no longer much point in worrying about how low they are. In my judgement the answer would be no, it isn't worth shifting things around for even lower ER. The decision could be based on other factors, whatever might apply in the case at hand. On the other hand I don't think things like not having a ticker symbol and using 4 funds instead of 3 should be much of an issue either. As to other differences between retail mutual funds and CITs, I would not be qualified to give advice.
hovbuild

Post by hovbuild »

I know this has been asked before so forgive me. I am invested at Fidelity and trying to figure out to get the pf % I desire in a lot less funds over multiple accounts. I can figure what is close to the vanguard choices most of you love but I would like some other suggestions on funds that compare with the vanguard funds I can buy at fidelity without having to pay the fee they ask.
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

hovbuild wrote:I know this has been asked before so forgive me. I am invested at Fidelity and trying to figure out to get the pf % I desire in a lot less funds over multiple accounts. I can figure what is close to the vanguard choices most of you love but I would like some other suggestions on funds that compare with the vanguard funds I can buy at fidelity without having to pay the fee they ask.
Probably best to start a new thread on this question so we can look specifically at your ER's and other fees. Also, read this page - https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-f ... head-style.
sanfran2015

Post by sanfran2015 »

Is there a 3-fund portfolio equivalent of using muni bonds instead of total bond?

My guess is it would be:
VTSMX Total US stock
VGTSX Total Intl stock
VWITX Intermediate Term Tax Exempt

Is this inline with Boglehead 3-fund approach?

Thanks
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Muni fund vs. taxable bond fund ?

sanfran2015 wrote:Is there a 3-fund portfolio equivalent of using muni bonds instead of total bond?

My guess is it would be:
VTSMX Total US stock
VGTSX Total Intl stock
VWITX Intermediate Term Tax Exempt

Is this inline with Boglehead 3-fund approach?
sanfran2015:

In the opening post (OP) I wrote:
Fund Placement For Maximum Tax-Efficiency: Place Total Bond Market in tax-advantaged account(s). If full, use a tax-exempt bond fund in a taxable account. Place Total Stock Market and Total International Stock Market in either a tax-advantaged account (best) or a taxable account.
Vanguard Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt Bond Fund is an excellent substitute in a taxable account IF your tax-advantaged accounts are filled with bonds.

VWITX is probably not the best choice in a tax-advantaged account because tax-exempt bonds generally have lower returns or more risk than taxable bonds of the same quality and maturity.

Best wishes.
Taylor
abhinav23

Re: The Three Fund Portfolio--Location.

Post by abhinav23 »

How much can I put in the tax advantaged account? If I put it in a 403(b) will it not be just 18k early (because that is the upper limit of annual contributions)? Sorry have not really started delving into the nuances of the 403(b) itself.
GunniNC

Post by GunniNC »

Would VWALX be more suitable than VBTLX for bonds?
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Adding a Hi-Yield Bond Fund ?

GunniNC wrote:Would VWALX be more suitable than VBTLX for bonds?
GunniNC:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

Few of us have memorized the fund tickers. These are the funds:

* VWALX is Vanguard High-Yield Tax-Exempt Admiral Fund.

* VBTLX is Vanguard Total Bond Market Admiral Fund.

Bonds are primarily for portfolio safety. In the 2008 bear market, VWALK declined -21.3%. (VBTLX) gained +5.0%.

In my opinion, a junk bond fund is not suitable for most portfolios.

If you seek higher return (and more risk of loss) it is more efficient to increase your stock stock allocation. Diversified, low-cost, Total Bond Market Index Fund is a superior choice. I have been happy owning it for over 20 years.

Best wishes.
Taylor
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

GunniNC wrote:Would VWALX be more suitable than VBTLX for bonds?
Welcome! To explain what Taylor Larimore said in detail about VWALX (Vanguard High-Yield Tax-Exempt Admiral Fund), see the wiki: High yield bonds

Vanguard High-Yield Tax-Exempt Fund Admiral Shares (VWALX) - Note that a lot of those bonds carry an "A" credit rating or lower. This fund is definitely not a replacement for VBTLX.

- Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VBTLX) - The Portfolio and Management tab shows the credit ratings of the bonds held in the fund. Compare to VWALX. Do you see how different they are?
GunniNC

Post by GunniNC »

Thanks Taylor, LadyGeek! Appreciate it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ You're welcome.

New member bossballer41 has a question which I've moved into a stand-alone post, see: Starting a Three-Fund Portfolio - which funds?