The Three-Fund Portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
bossballer41

Re: The Three-Fund Portfolio

Postby bossballer41 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:11 pm

LadyGeek wrote:^^^ You're welcome.

New member bossballer41 has a question which I've moved into a stand-alone post, see: Starting a Three-Fund Portfolio - which funds?

Thanks LadyGeek :happy , I wasn't sure where to post it

SacredSword93

Postby SacredSword93 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:17 am

Thank you Taylor for keeping things simple! :!:

LXEX55

Postby LXEX55 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:33 am

May I ask what would be the suggested allocation of these three funds for a person who retires at age 63? Would you just do 33% each or go heavier on one fund?

TheTimeLord

Postby TheTimeLord » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:43 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:After a lifetime of investing since 1950 trying to "beat the market," I am convinced that a simple 3-fund (or ETF) portfolio of Total Stock Market, Total International, and Total Bond Market, properly allocated, is an ideal portfolio for most investors.

The more I struggle to perfect and tilt my portfolio with ever smaller adjustments the more apparent the inherent wisdom of the 3 fund portfolio becomes. It is a a marvelous straightforward solution to a complex issue, dare I say it is a supremely elegant solution. Thank you.
Run, You Clever Boy!

tsturbo

Postby tsturbo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:09 am

LXEX55 wrote:May I ask what would be the suggested allocation of these three funds for a person who retires at age 63? Would you just do 33% each or go heavier on one fund?

I think you are looking for information on how to determine your AA, based on your age. Once you decide what your AA should be, 80/20; 50/50; 40/60 etc. then allocate as follows:

For example, 50% of my portfolio is bonds, the other 50% is equities which 2/3 is TSM and 1/3 International

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Postby Taylor Larimore » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:38 pm

LXEX55 wrote:May I ask what would be the suggested allocation of these three funds for a person who retires at age 63? Would you just do 33% each or go heavier on one fund?

LXEX55:

Please read the part about "Asset-Allocation" in my opening post (OP).

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:52 pm

Jack Bogle will typically recommend "age in bonds" to start. An investors asset allocation is dependent on timeframe, tolerance for risk, and goals.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Allan Roth: One advisor to another.

Postby Taylor Larimore » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Bogleheads:

Below are excerpts from an article by Allan Roth in the Financial Planning publication written for financial advisors:

"As an example of simplicity, over a decade ago I taught my son how to invest using just three index funds:

· A total stock index fund such as VTSMX
· A total international stock index fund such as VGTSX
· A total bond fund such as VBTLX

With these funds (or better yet, lower cost share classes of these funds), my son owned virtually every publicly held company on the planet, as well as an approximation of nearly every fixed-rate investment grade bond in the U.S."

"Noble Laureate William Sharpe’s paper "Arithmetic and Active Management" proved that owning the entire market at the lowest costs must beat the majority of investors."

"Owning even one other stock fund will actually decrease diversification since it will be making specific bets on industries, styles, or other factors."

"Over the years, I’ve benchmarked hundreds of portfolios against the equivalent weighted three-fund portfolio and can count on one hand the number of portfolios I’ve seen that bested this benchmark."

"The simple three-fund portfolio with a target and tolerance range for each fund sends the client on their way without them needing me in the future."

https://www.financial-planning.com/slid ... ury-so-far

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

LXEX55

Postby LXEX55 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:26 am

This is very similar to what Ben Stein recommends in YES, YOU CAN STILL RETIRE COMFORTABLY. Only difference is, Stein includes Inflation Indexed Bond fund, along with the other three mentioned. He recommends 25% for each fund, no matter what your age. I am not sure I am going to go with the 50% in stocks. I know at 63 I am a long term investor, but, that still seems a little high for me.

Return to “Investing - Theory, News & General”