My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
larryswedroe
Posts: 15635
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:28 am
Location: St Louis MO

My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by larryswedroe » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:31 pm

For those interested, IMO it is a must read, every politician should be required to read it. Also has implications for investment strategy as well--learn to ask what then

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162- ... ColumnArea

Best wishes
Larry

ilmartello
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by ilmartello » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Larry, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume , since you're mostly in finance, you didn't know the bait you fell for. Mr. Sowell is an economist with a PH.d. who attempted to remain within the academic community. The sign of success that indicates if your work is serious and of sound scholarship is whether or not you were able to receive tenure, especially in a highly-regarded institution. Sowell strikes out on both counts, never being able to receive tenure, let alone at a prestigious institution. Because of that, he has been confined to writing polemics for the far-right crowd which is particularly enthusiastic about him, for let's just say token reasons.

User avatar
Christine_NM
Posts: 2630
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:13 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by Christine_NM » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:56 pm

As for the hip replacement being an example of a controlled cost in Canada and the UK but not the US, most hip replacements are covered by Medicare, not the free market. The Medicare reimbursement rate is set by Cong* and it is an issue now so I can't say anything more here.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

larryswedroe
Posts: 15635
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:28 am
Location: St Louis MO

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by larryswedroe » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:04 pm

Christine
I simply suggest you read the book, IMO it is not only an outstanding book, explaining important economic issues, but one of best economics book I have ever read, and I have read many.
This has nothing to do with politics, but economics, despite what some people will say
Larry

ilmartello
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by ilmartello » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Yes, a book about economics written by someone who isn't a real economist. Please don't confuse polemics with economics.

User avatar
magician
Posts: 1568
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 am
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Contact:

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by magician » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:08 pm

ilmartello wrote:Yes, a book about economics written by someone who isn't a real economist.
What's the definition of a real economist?
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

ilmartello
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by ilmartello » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:11 pm

For starters, if you tried to remain within the academic field, which Sowell tried, to get tenure in a decent institution. See above post. That's an indication of whether or not you were able to produce serious scholarship. Sowell is just a hack.
Last edited by ilmartello on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Christine_NM
Posts: 2630
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:13 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by Christine_NM » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:12 pm

larryswedroe wrote:Christine
I simply suggest you read the book, IMO it is not only an outstanding book, explaining important economic issues, but one of best economics book I have ever read, and I have read many.
This has nothing to do with politics, but economics, despite what some people will say
Larry
May I suggest that you also read "Freefall" by Joe Stiglitz.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

richard
Posts: 7961
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:38 pm
Contact:

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by richard » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:17 pm

magician wrote:
ilmartello wrote:Yes, a book about economics written by someone who isn't a real economist.
What's the definition of a real economist?
Someone who does a better job than Sowell of pretending they're applying coherent economic theory and empirical evidence to their policy preferences.

User avatar
Ruprecht
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: a very nice cardboard box
Contact:

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by Ruprecht » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:20 pm

ilmartello wrote:For starters, if you tried to remain within the academic field, which Sowell tried, to get tenure in a decent institution. See above post. That's an indication of whether or not you were able to produce serious scholarship. Sowell is just a hack.
...because tenure decisions are always academically pure and never influenced by any personal or political considerations :roll:

User avatar
craigr
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:54 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by craigr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Ruprecht wrote:
ilmartello wrote:For starters, if you tried to remain within the academic field, which Sowell tried, to get tenure in a decent institution. See above post. That's an indication of whether or not you were able to produce serious scholarship. Sowell is just a hack.
...because tenure decisions are always academically pure and never influenced by any personal or political considerations :roll:
What do you mean? Paul Krugman has never said anything political and certainly never lets his politics influence his economic research. Academia would never allow leftist professors to occupy the majority of tenured positions and control these decisions.
IMPORTANT NOTE: My old website crawlingroad{dot}com is no longer available or run by me. | | Please refer to archive.is or archive.org for old links in my post.

newbie001
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:50 am

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by newbie001 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:27 pm

IBTL.

User avatar
Christine_NM
Posts: 2630
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:13 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by Christine_NM » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:30 pm

A real economist puts you to sleep.

Lock please.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

User avatar
GregLee
Posts: 1748
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Waimanalo, HI

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by GregLee » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:30 pm

ilmartello wrote:Sowell strikes out on both counts, never being able to receive tenure, let alone at a prestigious institution. Because of that, he has been confined to writing polemics for the far-right crowd which is particularly enthusiastic about him, for let's just say token reasons.
I don't much like either this criticism or the review. It's pretty old fashioned to oppose an author's views not because you have arguments against what he says, but because he doesn't have the right credentials. Sowell doesn't have tenure? Jeez, who cares? From the review, I gathered that Larry liked Sowell, but he doesn't exactly say why. It's too vague.
Greg, retired 8/10.

PreserveCapital
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by PreserveCapital » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:30 pm

ilmartello wrote:Yes, a book about economics written by someone who isn't a real economist. Please don't confuse polemics with economics.
Expertise in, or perhaps somewhat less-than-expert-level useful knowledge of, economics is not defined exclusively by formal academic qualifications, such as peer-reviewed publications or a tenured faculty position. Certainly, a person's competence to write a book touching upon economics-related issues intended for the general public's consumption is not so limited. On the contrary, the degree of specialization in formal academic disciplines can render the ability to meaningfully read and understand academic writing virtually impossible for a member of the general public.

If it were truly necessary to have a tenured professorship in economics in order to meaningfully read about, write about, and discuss such issues, then obviously we would limit the formulation of economic policy, and even the discussion of such policy, to tenured economics professors, only.

It's not my understanding that anyone in our society accepts either the necessity or even the advisability of such an arbitrary restriction as you claim to wish to impose on participation in such discussions.

Of course before advocating such restrictions on the rest of us, we would need to be advised of which university it is that you currently hold a tenured academic professorship?

Please let us know, thanks.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 5618
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by bottlecap » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:31 pm

ilmartello wrote:Yes, a book about economics written by someone who isn't a real economist. Please don't confuse polemics with economics.
Keynes was not an economist, but a whole bunch of people put a lot of stock in him.

JT

BlueHenBoglehead
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by BlueHenBoglehead » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Given Sowell's standing as one with known political leanings, I had hoped this thread could proceed normally but didn't believe it could be so. Turns it, it can't.

ilmartello
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by ilmartello » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:33 pm

Ruprecht wrote:
ilmartello wrote:For starters, if you tried to remain within the academic field, which Sowell tried, to get tenure in a decent institution. See above post. That's an indication of whether or not you were able to produce serious scholarship. Sowell is just a hack.
...because tenure decisions are always academically pure and never influenced by any personal or political considerations :roll:
go look up glenn hubbard and greg mankiw and get back to me

ilmartello
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by ilmartello » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:35 pm

bottlecap wrote:
ilmartello wrote:Yes, a book about economics written by someone who isn't a real economist. Please don't confuse polemics with economics.
Keynes was not an economist, but a whole bunch of people put a lot of stock in him.

JT
Keynes founded modern macroeconomics. rofl.

User avatar
Ruprecht
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: a very nice cardboard box
Contact:

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by Ruprecht » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:37 pm

ilmartello wrote:
Ruprecht wrote:
ilmartello wrote:For starters, if you tried to remain within the academic field, which Sowell tried, to get tenure in a decent institution. See above post. That's an indication of whether or not you were able to produce serious scholarship. Sowell is just a hack.
...because tenure decisions are always academically pure and never influenced by any personal or political considerations :roll:
go look up glenn hubbard and greg mankiw and get back to me
the point? I'm missing it, sorry...

BlueHenBoglehead
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by BlueHenBoglehead » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:37 pm

"go look up glenn hubbard and greg mankiw and get back to me"

Glenn Hubbard, the Braves second baseman in the '70s and '80s? Good fielder, below average hitter, above average beard.
Last edited by BlueHenBoglehead on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
craigr
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:54 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by craigr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Academic politics are hilarious.
Last edited by craigr on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMPORTANT NOTE: My old website crawlingroad{dot}com is no longer available or run by me. | | Please refer to archive.is or archive.org for old links in my post.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 5618
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by bottlecap » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:37 pm

ilmartello wrote:
bottlecap wrote:
ilmartello wrote:Yes, a book about economics written by someone who isn't a real economist. Please don't confuse polemics with economics.
Keynes was not an economist, but a whole bunch of people put a lot of stock in him.

JT
Keynes founded modern macroeconomics. rofl.
Still he was not an economist by trade or credential.

ilmartello
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by ilmartello » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:40 pm

Ruprecht wrote:
ilmartello wrote:
Ruprecht wrote:
ilmartello wrote:For starters, if you tried to remain within the academic field, which Sowell tried, to get tenure in a decent institution. See above post. That's an indication of whether or not you were able to produce serious scholarship. Sowell is just a hack.
...because tenure decisions are always academically pure and never influenced by any personal or political considerations :roll:
go look up glenn hubbard and greg mankiw and get back to me
the point? I'm missing it, sorry...
glenn hubbard and mankiw are both economists that are pretty right-leaning and even worked for the Bush Administration. Both tenured professors. The idea that the economics profession is blacklisting right-wingers is a joke. Sowell is a joke of an economist.

If Larry Swedroe or whoever else likes Sowell, that's ok, but it's not an economics book. It's just a political diatribe no different than something written by Sean Hannity or Ann Coulter.

PreserveCapital
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by PreserveCapital » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:40 pm

BlueHenBoglehead wrote:"go look up glenn hubbard and greg mankiw and get back to me"

Glenn Hubbard, the Braves second baseman in the '70s and '80s? Good fielder, below average hitter, above average beard.
How dare you discuss baseball unless you are a major-leaguer yourself. :wink:

User avatar
Ruprecht
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: a very nice cardboard box
Contact:

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by Ruprecht » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:43 pm

ilmartello wrote:
Ruprecht wrote:
ilmartello wrote:
Ruprecht wrote:
ilmartello wrote:For starters, if you tried to remain within the academic field, which Sowell tried, to get tenure in a decent institution. See above post. That's an indication of whether or not you were able to produce serious scholarship. Sowell is just a hack.
...because tenure decisions are always academically pure and never influenced by any personal or political considerations :roll:
go look up glenn hubbard and greg mankiw and get back to me
the point? I'm missing it, sorry...
glenn hubbard and mankiw are both economists that are pretty right-leaning and even worked for the Bush Administration. Both tenured professors. The idea that the economics profession is blacklisting right-wingers is a joke. Sowell is a joke of an economist.

If Larry Swedroe or whoever else likes Sowell, that's ok, but it's not an economics book. It's just a political diatribe no different than something written by Sean Hannity or Ann Coulter.
I don't recall saying right-wingers were being blacklisted. But to imply that every tenure decision is made on purely academic grounds is, well, uninformed.

PreserveCapital
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by PreserveCapital » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Sowell is a joke of an economist.
That would make him an economist, no?

PreserveCapital
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by PreserveCapital » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:46 pm

I don't recall saying right-wingers were being blacklisted. But to imply that every tenure decision is made on purely academic grounds is, well, uninformed.
martello's criticism/threadjack is irrelevant since Mr. Sowell's book does not claim to be a peer-reviewed academic-level economics publication, but rather, a popularization of Sowell's non-peer reviewed opinions. Nor did Larry S. claim otherwise.

ilmartello
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by ilmartello » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:49 pm

What's the title of his book "Applied Economics" What does Larry Swedroe say in his review.

I am glad I took him up on the suggestion, because in my opinion it's one of the best books on economic policy

Again what are Sowell's qualifications to discuss economic policy.
Just to indicate how amateurish Sowell's work, see upthread the part about hip replacements by a poster above commented on.

User avatar
3CT_Paddler
Posts: 3216
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:28 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Larry. Planning on adding it to the wish list.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 5618
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by bottlecap » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Working for the Bush Administration doesn't make someone right-leaning - it makes them someone wanting a paycheck. Mankiw is not right-leaning, unless you mean he's not Paul Krugman or Joe Stiglitz and therefore he's right leaning.

Sowell's book is about economics, which is likely outside the scope of the forum. But it is unfortunate that we can't discuss anyone or anything that isn't about mainstream thought without being accused of right-wing heresy.

Larry posted a review. If you don't like the review, just let it be and don't post.

JT

User avatar
3CT_Paddler
Posts: 3216
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:28 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:54 pm

Ilmartello, why don't you offer substantive criticism instead of engaging in ad hominem attacks...

User avatar
bob90245
Posts: 6511
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:51 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by bob90245 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:55 pm

Amazing no one has locked this thread yet. Politics & Economics.

Well, before the lock, I will quote the point being made. Is it "impure" because it was made by someone not a "pure" economist?
Larry Swedroe wrote:Sowell points out that not only is the top priority of politicians to get elected, but their time horizon seldom extends beyond the next election. The result is that policies that produce good results before the next election may be preferred even if they can be expected to produce bad results afterwards. Sowell provides example after example of how the end results are often directly counter to the original intent. His examples on rent controls (the cities with them often have the highest rents) and open space laws are particularly compelling, as is the discussion on minimum wage laws.
I can also point out that these are similar arguments presented by another book recommended by Larry:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162- ... ne-lesson/
Ignore the market noise. Keep to your rebalancing schedule whether that is semi-annual, annual or trigger bands.

BlueHenBoglehead
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by BlueHenBoglehead » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:56 pm

ilmartello wrote:What's the title of his book "Applied Economics" What does Larry Swedroe say in his review.

I am glad I took him up on the suggestion, because in my opinion it's one of the best books on economic policy

Again what are Sowell's qualifications to discuss economic policy.
Just to indicate how amateurish Sowell's work, see upthread the part about hip replacements by a poster above commented on.
Sowell has a PhD in Economics from the University of Chicago. Your primary criticism seems to rely on the anecdotal offerings of another poster, who disputes a less than fully explained section from Sowell's book. Your other supporting evidence appears to be your repeated unsubstantiated statement that Sowell is "a joke."

You can disagree with Thomas Sowell, but surely you can do better than that in trying to undermine his credibility.

ilmartello
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by ilmartello » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:57 pm

3CT_Paddler wrote:Ilmartello, why don't you offer substantive criticism instead of engaging in ad hominem attacks...
This forum isn't here to discuss economic policy or politics, so I refrained from both just to indicate something about the credibility and standing the author of the book Larry mentioned.

PreserveCapital
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by PreserveCapital » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:59 pm

ilmartello wrote:What's the title of his book "Applied Economics" What does Larry Swedroe say in his review.

I am glad I took him up on the suggestion, because in my opinion it's one of the best books on economic policy

Again what are Sowell's qualifications to discuss economic policy.
Just to indicate how amateurish Sowell's work, see upthread the part about hip replacements by a poster above commented on.
The First Amendment to the United States Constitution, obviously.

User avatar
bobcat2
Posts: 5202
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: just barely Outside the Beltway

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by bobcat2 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:00 pm

During the last 3 months the wait time for hip surgery in Toronto, Ontario, was 190 days or less for 90% of patients, not the 11 months Sowell pulls out of thin air. Note that many patients had the surgery done in 3 or 4 months.
Here are the wait times for hip surgery for the latest 3 months.
http://www.waittimes.net/Surgerydi/en/D ... 0&expand=0

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

richard
Posts: 7961
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:38 pm
Contact:

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by richard » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:00 pm

bottlecap wrote:Working for the Bush Administration doesn't make someone right-leaning - it makes them someone wanting a paycheck. Mankiw is not right-leaning, unless you mean he's not Paul Krugman or Joe Stiglitz and therefore he's right leaning.
Mankiw's textbook and much of his academic writing is not right-leaning. His blog and newspaper work are very right-leaning.

ilmartello
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by ilmartello » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:01 pm

That's his right to discuss it, not his qualification.

PreserveCapital
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by PreserveCapital » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:03 pm

bobcat2 wrote:During the last 3 months the wait time for hip surgery in Toronto, Ontario, was 190 days or less for 90% of patients, not the 11 months Sowell pulls out of thin air. Note that many patients had the surgery done in 3 or 4 months.
Here are the wait times for hip surgery for the latest 3 months.
http://www.waittimes.net/Surgerydi/en/D ... 0&expand=0

BobK
The quotation from Larry S's article is actually this:
As one example, Sowell notes that in Ontario, Canada, patients awaiting hip replacements wait 11 months.
Hopefully the person bobk quoted, as well as bobk, will acknowledge that "Ontario, Canada" is not the same thing as "Toronto, Ontario." Also hopefully will acknowledge that "hip replacement" is not the same thing as "hip surgery."

Also, the following quote is from a link on the page that the article bobk linked to, which defines "wait times":

What is a wait time?

A wait time is the amount of time you have to wait for your surgery or exam. Your wait is measured from the time your surgery or exam is booked until the time you receive it. If you need several surgeries or exams for your condition, each one may have its own wait time.
So, "wait time" as quoted by bobk is the time between when the surgery is booked and the surgery--NOT the ACTUAL wait time between the injury and the surgery, or the diagnosis of the condition and the surgery.

I would guess the numbers for "wait time" are quite different and more in line with Sowell's numbers if it is calculated from the date of injury or diagnosis. Obviously if it takes six months to get a referral to a qualified orthopedic specialist because you can be booked for surgery, most of us would want to include that six months in the "wait time."

ilmartello
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by ilmartello » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Thomas Sowell as an economist kind of reminds me of Bill O'Reilly as a historian whose latest book on the Lincoln assasination is rife with errors and historical inaccuracies. One example is referencing Lincoln in the Oval Office, which didn't exist until the 20th century, lol.

fishndoc
Posts: 2325
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:50 am

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by fishndoc » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Haven't read the book (yet), but it certainly appears that some people don't want him to be heard.

From wiki:
Sowell was born in North Carolina, but grew up in Harlem, New York. He dropped out of high school, and served in the United States Marine Corps during the Korean War. He had received a bachelor's degree from Harvard University in 1958 and a master's degree from Columbia University in 1959. In 1968, he earned his doctorate degree in economics from the University of Chicago.
Sowell has served on the faculties of several universities, including Cornell and University of California, Los Angeles, and worked for "think tanks" such as the Urban Institute. Since 1980 he has worked at the Hoover Institution. He is the author of more than 30 books.
So, yea, this guy is clearly a "joke" and has nothing important to say... :roll:
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle

PreserveCapital
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by PreserveCapital » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:14 pm

ilmartello wrote:That's his right to discuss it, not his qualification.
What is your qualification to impose qualifications on Mr. Sowell?

I asked you before to state what if any academic economic qualifications you have. You've failed to respond to that inquiry. It hardly makes sense for someone such as yourself who is apparently far less qualified than Mr. Sowell (seriously do you have anything approaching a phD in econ from U. of Chicago?) to purport to criticize Mr. Sowell for his lack of qualifications, which is not what you're really doing in any case.

Logically what you've doing is known as making a "straw man" argument.

PreserveCapital
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by PreserveCapital » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:17 pm

ilmartello wrote:Thomas Sowell as an economist kind of reminds me of Bill O'Reilly as a historian whose latest book on the Lincoln assasination is rife with errors and historical inaccuracies. One example is referencing Lincoln in the Oval Office, which didn't exist until the 20th century, lol.
But you don't have a tenured academic position in economics, do you; so by your very own standards, you're not even qualified to participate in this discussion about the value if any of Mr. Sowell's writings, including what level of formal academic credentials he might or might not need to make it worthwhile to read his book, as recommended by Larry S.
Last edited by PreserveCapital on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bobcat2
Posts: 5202
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: just barely Outside the Beltway

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by bobcat2 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:18 pm

PreserveCapital wrote:
bobcat2 wrote:During the last 3 months the wait time for hip surgery in Toronto, Ontario, was 190 days or less for 90% of patients, not the 11 months Sowell pulls out of thin air. Note that many patients had the surgery done in 3 or 4 months.
Here are the wait times for hip surgery for the latest 3 months.
http://www.waittimes.net/Surgerydi/en/D ... 0&expand=0

BobK
The quotation from Larry S's article is actually this:
As one example, Sowell notes that in Ontario, Canada, patients awaiting hip replacements wait 11 months.
Hopefully the person bobk quoted, as well as bobk, will acknowledge that "Ontario, Canada" is not the same thing as "Toronto, Ontario." Also hopefully will acknowledge that "hip replacement" is not the same thing as "hip surgery."
The 'person' I quoted for hip replacement surgery wait times was the Ontario Ministry of Health web site. To get a listing of a wait time you have to put in a city or postal code, and I put in Toronto. The 190 day figure means that for all of Ontario 90% of patients had a wait time of 190 days or less for hip replacement surgery. The website is using the standard definition of wait time.

BobK
Last edited by bobcat2 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

PreserveCapital
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by PreserveCapital » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:21 pm

The wait time on the Ontario website is from booking of the procedure to the procedure happening, not from injury or diagnosis.

You're evading the issue.

Does Sowell's "wait time" of 11 months state that it's from booking of the procedure or from the occurrence of the injury?

You would need to read Sowell's book to be able to criticize him in the way you are trying to do--basically calling him a liar which obviously he's not foolish enough to just make up statistics like that. You accused Sowell of pulling the 11 months "out of thin air." That implies you actually have read his book.

Have you?

If not--time to apologize.

ilmartello
Posts: 1075
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by ilmartello » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:24 pm

PreserveCapital wrote:
ilmartello wrote:That's his right to discuss it, not his qualification.
What is your qualification to impose qualifications on Mr. Sowell?

I asked you before to state what if any academic economic qualifications you have. You've failed to respond to that inquiry. It hardly makes sense for someone such as yourself who is apparently far less qualified than Mr. Sowell (seriously do you have anything approaching a phD in econ from U. of Chicago?) to purport to criticize Mr. Sowell for his lack of qualifications, which is not what you're really doing in any case.

Logically what you've doing is known as making a "straw man" argument.
You're being daft on purpose, perhaps. Anyone who's gotten a 4 year college degree and gotten to know at least one of their professors or the graduate students or heck knows people in academia knows what the standard of scholarship is in higher education. Some people who get Phd's decide to work in industry , so that's a different beast. But for someone like Sowell who attempted to remain in academia and was passed around several institutions and then ended up at a think-tank raises red flags to any non-biased observer. You certainly seem to be confused as you brought up the 1st amendment as his qualification to speak on economics, so with that, I'll refrain from replying to your comments.

User avatar
bobcat2
Posts: 5202
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: just barely Outside the Beltway

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by bobcat2 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:28 pm

There is no data from time of injury to surgery. Lots of injuries such as hip injury occur slowly over time, so there is no injury moment.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

Atilla
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by Atilla » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:32 pm

ilmartello wrote:
3CT_Paddler wrote:Ilmartello, why don't you offer substantive criticism instead of engaging in ad hominem attacks...
This forum isn't here to discuss economic policy or politics, so I refrained from both just to indicate something about the credibility and standing the author of the book Larry mentioned.
That's why you accused conservatives of liking Mr. Sowell for "token" reasons. Reads to me like the political race card was played. Naughty naughty. :D
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

FafnerMorell
Posts: 686
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:27 am

Re: My review of Applied Economics by Sowell

Post by FafnerMorell » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:37 pm

It's discussions like these which have lead to many definitions of the word "academic" being insulting rather than praiseworthy. And unfortunately, throwing "economics" into the mix is no better than alchemy (at least there were times in history where alchemy was considered a serious pursuit).

Locked