World distribution of Ultra High Net Worth wealth

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
DaleMaley

World distribution of Ultra High Net Worth wealth

Post by DaleMaley » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:05 am

From the Dec 5 issue of InvestmentNews magazine:

Last edited by DaleMaley on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett

gkaplan

Re: Word distribution of Ultra High Net Worth wealth

Post by gkaplan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:46 am

Shouldn't that be "World" distribution ....?
Gordon

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:02 am

Misspellings in thread titles is a grand boglehead tradition. By misspelling your thread title, you attract more readers.

Post by 555 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:06 am

Wacky intervals 100-199, 200-249 ?!

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:11 am

gkaplan wrote:Shouldn't that be "World" distribution ....?
Thanks...........I fixed the error.............not enough coffee in me yet :D
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett

FafnerMorell

Re: World distribution of Ultra High Net Worth wealth

Post by FafnerMorell » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:13 am

Latin America is doing a lot better than I would have guessed. I know they've got Carlos Slim, but apparently a lot more as well. Learn something new everyday.

sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:17 am

It is my understand that just about everyone in this country is in the 1% (if you consider the population of the entire planet.

For the precise: Would world be a better word than planet?

Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:50 am

Nice to see Greenland doing well . . .
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein

VennData

Post by VennData » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:54 am

I'm moving to Yakutia, Siberia. Better to be a big fish in a small pond. How are the winters?

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:27 am

Why are the rich in North America so poor? There are 8,000 + more rich people in NA than in Europe, but these fewer Europeans hold an extra $600 billion in wealth. I leave it to you to do the math as to the averages in the two areas, but even with Carlos Slim, NA is just a bunch of losers.

What about our prestige? We need new national strategies that will help our 1% keep up with the 1% in Europe. Maybe Valuethinker can explain why the European rich are so rich while the North American rich are so poor.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:27 am

I'm pretty disappointed to see so few Mongolian millionaires.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:52 am

The data is from an interesting source:
Wealth-X provides its members with qualified prospects and intelligence on ultra high net worth (UHNW) individuals, along with the privately held-companies they control. We work with 7 of the top 10 global private banks, leading educational institutions, not-for-profits and luxury brands. Our firm’s online business development solution profiles individuals who represent $10.7 trillion of the world’s net wealth.

The Wealth-X database additionally offers exclusive details on ultra wealthy individuals, including their wealth, income, passions, philanthropic interests, affiliations, politics, advisors, families and biographies.

Wealth-X is the global authority on UHNW individuals and the worldwide standard for professionals working with the ultra affluent.

peppers

Post by peppers » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:55 am

sscritic wrote:Why are the rich in North America so poor? There are 8,000 + more rich people in NA than in Europe, but these fewer Europeans hold an extra $600 billion in wealth. I leave it to you to do the math as to the averages in the two areas, but even with Carlos Slim, NA is just a bunch of losers.

What about our prestige? We need new national strategies that will help our 1% keep up with the 1% in Europe. Maybe Valuethinker can explain why the European rich are so rich while the North American rich are so poor.
The European capitalists have been in the game far longer than the Americans. Perhaps, in the coming centuries the Americans will catch up. Then again......
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

Post by 555 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:50 pm

In other words: `We'll help you get your piece of the action.'
stan1 wrote:The data is from an interesting source:
Wealth-X provides its members with qualified prospects and intelligence on ultra high net worth (UHNW) individuals, along with the privately held-companies they control. We work with 7 of the top 10 global private banks, leading educational institutions, not-for-profits and luxury brands. Our firm’s online business development solution profiles individuals who represent $10.7 trillion of the world’s net wealth.

The Wealth-X database additionally offers exclusive details on ultra wealthy individuals, including their wealth, income, passions, philanthropic interests, affiliations, politics, advisors, families and biographies.

Wealth-X is the global authority on UHNW individuals and the worldwide standard for professionals working with the ultra affluent.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:03 pm

sscritic wrote:Why are the rich in North America so poor? There are 8,000 + more rich people in NA than in Europe, but these fewer Europeans hold an extra $600 billion in wealth. I leave it to you to do the math as to the averages in the two areas, but even with Carlos Slim, NA is just a bunch of losers.

An interesting Rorschach test.
The European number is $6,800 billion, not $8,800 billion.
Move along, nothing to explain.

http://www.wealthx.com/wp-content/uploa ... t-2011.pdf

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:24 am

DaleMaley,
The map colors weight all UHMW individuals from $30M to $1B+ the same. $30M seems like a pretty low bar to be lumped in with Warren Buffet Billionares. I'm curious where the really super-rich live. Did your Investment news magazine reference a source for other maps with numbers of say $100M+ or $1B+?
JW
Retired at Last

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:04 am

JW Nearly Retired wrote:DaleMaley,
The map colors weight all UHMW individuals from $30M to $1B+ the same. $30M seems like a pretty low bar to be lumped in with Warren Buffet Billionares. I'm curious where the really super-rich live. Did your Investment news magazine reference a source for other maps with numbers of say $100M+ or $1B+?
JW
=====================================
Here is another world weath study done by United Nations University.........

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34678489/world% ... 122006.ppt

dkturner

Post by dkturner » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Looks like the only country missing is Mongolia. They must really spread the money around.

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:30 am

JW Nearly Retired wrote:DaleMaley,
JW

there is minimal difference between what $30m and $1b can purchase and the subsequent lifestyle, which is very different than $1m vs $5m and $10m and $20m etc...
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.

DFrank

Post by DFrank » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:49 am

Did they lump in all of Russia with Europe, or are they saying that there are no UHNW individuals in Russia east of the Urals?

Dave
Dave