U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Rowan Oak

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by Rowan Oak »

flyingaway wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:37 pm What is the main reason for today's market drop?
I know the exact reason:
On the commodities trading floor, the Dukes committed their holdings to buying frozen concentrated orange juice futures contracts; other traders followed their lead, inflating the price. Valentine and Winthorpe short sell frozen concentrated orange juice futures contracts at the inflated price. Following the broadcast of the actual crop report and its prediction of a normal harvest, the price of orange juice futures plummets. Valentine and Winthorpe buy futures at the lower price from everyone except the Dukes, to fulfill the contracts they sold short earlier, turning an immense profit.
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

AerialWombat wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:28 pm S&P500 is more or less back to where it was in early January. Will this be a... lost year? :|
We're in the middle of a pandemic/recession. You'd think it would go down, right? The fact that it's been up for a good portion of the year is pretty irrational. It's why I shifted from VOO to QQQ in March. I figured a great proportion of the companies in QQQ would make earnings versus what's in VOO. Sure, there's some overlap, but I can't see how travel and energy and clothing retail could make any money in this environment. Of course, the multiples for the stocks making up QQQ blow the mind too. And bond yields are ridiculous. If I really try, I could convince myself to go to cash.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

rockstar wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:57 pm
AerialWombat wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:28 pm S&P500 is more or less back to where it was in early January. Will this be a... lost year? :|
We're in the middle of a pandemic/recession. You'd think it would go down, right? The fact that it's been up for a good portion of the year is pretty irrational. It's why I shifted from VOO to QQQ in March. I figured a great proportion of the companies in QQQ would make earnings versus what's in VOO. Sure, there's some overlap, but I can't see how travel and energy and clothing retail could make any money in this environment. Of course, the multiples for the stocks making up QQQ blow the mind too. And bond yields are ridiculous. If I really try, I could convince myself to go to cash.
So who is winning, QQQ or VOO?
Stef

Post by Stef »

rascott wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:40 pm Good for you getting out before getting too deep. FF says themselves the value premium may well be gone ... they just don't know. That's not very reassuring. I'm already long into it, so just have to wait upon the inevitable rebound. But I'll be tossing in the towel for good once it occurs.
If you can't tell if there is a premium in a 30 year period due to it being too small with too much statistical noise, it not only begs the question if it's still there but if it's significant enough to even care about. I think not, that's why I simplified my portfolio.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Anyone care to guess the bottom of this dip (yeah i know bogleheads taboo... but still)
RayKeynes

Post by RayKeynes »

newyorker wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:15 am Anyone care to guess the bottom of this dip (yeah i know bogleheads taboo... but still)
anything from 3'000 to 3'230 (which we already hit).
Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

Considering the state of the economy it would be a little weird if it wasn't a negative year for the S&p 500. What I think the recent downturn is a response to is the market re-adjusting expectations. The new all time high's were hit when there was widespread hope of a vaccine in October and additional stimulus from Congress.

Hopes for further stimulus this year is dead, prospects for more stimulus next year will depend on the outcome of the election. Hope for an approved vaccine by year end is beginning to erode. Thus the market is 're-pricing' itself for a non-stimulus/non-vaccine 2020. What is the right price for that outcome?

No idea! But probably not new all time high's.

I'll just keep buying every month like I always do.
case_of_ennui

Post by case_of_ennui »

Good week to have a 401k contribution scheduled!
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

Alchemist wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:55 am
Considering the state of the economy it would be a little weird if it wasn't a negative year for the S&p 500. What I think the recent downturn is a response to is the market re-adjusting expectations. The new all time high's were hit when there was widespread hope of a vaccine in October and additional stimulus from Congress.

Hopes for further stimulus this year is dead, prospects for more stimulus next year will depend on the outcome of the election. Hope for an approved vaccine by year end is beginning to erode. Thus the market is 're-pricing' itself for a non-stimulus/non-vaccine 2020. What is the right price for that outcome?

No idea! But probably not new all time high's.

I'll just keep buying every month like I always do.
This likely explains why we're trading down. I'm still heavy in tech because I don't think much changes between now and early 2021. We're still going to be heavily reliant on digital.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

It is official once again: I backed my truck up yesterday!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

CBO Downgrades Long-Term Projections of Economic Growth
Agency says U.S. GDP growth will average 1.6% over next 30 years, vs. 1.9% projected in 2019
Growth averaged 2.5% from 1990 to 2019.
Source
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is a "no politics" forum. I removed an off-topic post regarding the election. As a reminder, see: Politics and Religion
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
Additionally, a few posts are discussing the coronavirus. The main intent of the post must be on-topic, which is the stock market. See: Please read before posting on coronavirus/COVID-19
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an interchange discussing coronavirus vaccine availability. (Posts after my last post (and a few before that) have been removed.) The discussion was derailed. See: Please read before posting on coronavirus/COVID-19

Please stay on-topic, which is the US market (declining).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Escapevelocity wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:43 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:16 am Good. Automatic investment hits this afternoon.
It's always nice when it hits after a big down day and not before it. I have a larger contribution to 401k pending on my annual bonus this week. Wouldn't mind seeing it hit today, but likely not until later this week or early next.
It's especially nice when followed by a big up day.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:42 pm
Escapevelocity wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:43 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:16 am Good. Automatic investment hits this afternoon.
It's always nice when it hits after a big down day and not before it. I have a larger contribution to 401k pending on my annual bonus this week. Wouldn't mind seeing it hit today, but likely not until later this week or early next.
It's especially nice when followed by a big up day.
Oh just wait. If today was better I'm sure my contributions would have went in today but they haven't so we should have another really good day ahead of us this week before my 401k contributions hit then the market will break back down
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Anyone else notice that Exxon almost has a 10% dividend yield?

I know it's not a US stock, but since we're talking crazy div yields, HSBC, at a 20-something year low for its stock, almost has a 14% div yield.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
rchmx1

Post by rchmx1 »

jason2459 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:24 pm Oh just wait. If today was better I'm sure my contributions would have went in today but they haven't so we should have another really good day ahead of us this week before my 401k contributions hit then the market will break back down
Thanks in advance for taking one for the team. :sharebeer
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

Another day, another drop when even LTTs are down
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Stocks dropped amid warnings from Federal Reserve officials on the need for more stimulus to lift the world’s largest economy from a coronavirus-induced recession. The dollar climbed...Fed Chairman Jerome Powell reiterated that there’s a long way to go for the economic rebound, which will likely require more support...
Source
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Rowan Oak wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:20 pm
flyingaway wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:37 pm What is the main reason for today's market drop?
I know the exact reason:
On the commodities trading floor, the Dukes committed their holdings to buying frozen concentrated orange juice futures contracts; other traders followed their lead, inflating the price. Valentine and Winthorpe short sell frozen concentrated orange juice futures contracts at the inflated price. Following the broadcast of the actual crop report and its prediction of a normal harvest, the price of orange juice futures plummets. Valentine and Winthorpe buy futures at the lower price from everyone except the Dukes, to fulfill the contracts they sold short earlier, turning an immense profit.
Those Dukes. They should have stuck to VTSAX.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
dvvader

Post by dvvader »

Down more than 1% and only 3 new posts in this thread today?! Bogleheads are slacking!
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

dvvader wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:11 pm Down more than 1% and only 3 new posts in this thread today?! Bogleheads are slacking!
Sometimes, you just sit back and enjoy the ride.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

Everything is down. Treasuries, gold, equities, munis. Tough time.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

jason2459 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:24 pm Oh just wait. If today was better I'm sure my contributions would have went in today but they haven't so we should have another really good day ahead of us this week before my 401k contributions hit then the market will break back down
You lied to me! :x
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:38 pm
You lied to me! :x
Unfortunately I didn't. I looked this morning and my 401k contributions went in sometime after midnight as they still didn't show up the last time I checked last night. :(
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

Market down 2% now...
rocketsrule

Post by rocketsrule »

not sure what to do with dry powder. Continue ITOT contribution?
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

rocketsrule wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:17 pm not sure what to do with dry powder. Continue ITOT contribution?
Your planned scheduled ones? Yes.

Your emergency fund? No.

Dry powder for dips? Yes but hopefully you're not trying to catch a falling knife.
anoop

Post by anoop »

is this a good entry point?
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

dvvader wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:11 pm Down more than 1% and only 3 new posts in this thread today?! Bogleheads are slacking!
We’re all in stunned silence. :oops:
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

anoop wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:27 pm is this a good entry point?
Everyday is a good day to start.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

This cat bounces like a super ball.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I think VTSAX declares a dividend today also.
index245

Post by index245 »

anoop wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:27 pm is this a good entry point?
If I knew the answer to questions like this, I'd be a lot wealthier than I am....
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:38 pm This cat bounces like a super ball.
Which letter are we forming now?
Stef

Post by Stef »

Guys, it's my fault and I am deeply sorry. I bought QQQ on margin last week :greedy
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:38 pm This cat bounces like a super ball.
Anyone else remember the book 101 Uses for a Dead Cat?
case_of_ennui

Post by case_of_ennui »

lostdog wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:38 pm I think VTSAX declares a dividend today also.
Indeed today is the record date

https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/DIVDAT_092020.pdf
vwgrrc

Post by vwgrrc »

Only back to Christmas 2019, no big deal :oops:
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

This has been an interesting drop on little to no news. I suppose the markets were being propped up largely by government stimulus that has now run out.
Day9

Post by Day9 »

atdharris wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:01 pm This has been an interesting drop on little to no news. I suppose the markets were being propped up largely by government stimulus that has now run out.
I have a feeling that part of a high valuation/low interest rate environment is that such gyrations are the new normal.
I'm just a fan of the person I got my user name from
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Day9 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:12 pm
atdharris wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:01 pm This has been an interesting drop on little to no news. I suppose the markets were being propped up largely by government stimulus that has now run out.
I have a feeling that part of a high valuation/low interest rate environment is that such gyrations are the new normal.
Indeed. I posted this yesterday in the soaring thread, but it bears repeating:
“We think equities will move higher over the medium term, thanks to the likely development of a successful vaccine, an end to election uncertainty, the passage of new U.S. fiscal stimulus, and continued extraordinary global monetary support,” wrote Mark Haefele, chief investment officer of global wealth management at UBS Group AG. “However, the path to ‘more normal’ is likely to be bumpy,” he said, adding that “we therefore expect volatility to persist over the balance of the year.”
Source

How this is actionable: don't let volatility, i.e. scary down days, throw you off your game.
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

in other news, I planted grass seed in my "Front Dirt" last Wednesday and it's starting to grow. I'll probably market time on my first mow. :mrgreen:
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Today was a bloodbath
AnalogKid22

Post by AnalogKid22 »

newyorker wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:39 pm Today was a bloodbath
2-3%? How so?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

It's not a bloodbath until the stoppers kick in!

Until then, it's just a scratch.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

AnalogKid22 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:41 pm
2-3%? How so?
Maybe a NKLA investor.
anoop

Post by anoop »

https://youtu.be/XfRf8Pt2QTs?t=189
vwgrrc

Post by vwgrrc »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:15 pm
Day9 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:12 pm
Indeed. I posted this yesterday in the soaring thread, but it bears repeating:
“We think equities will move higher over the medium term, thanks to the likely development of a successful vaccine, an end to election uncertainty, the passage of new U.S. fiscal stimulus, and continued extraordinary global monetary support,” wrote Mark Haefele, chief investment officer of global wealth management at UBS Group AG. “However, the path to ‘more normal’ is likely to be bumpy,” he said, adding that “we therefore expect volatility to persist over the balance of the year.”
Source

How this is actionable: don't let volatility, i.e. scary down days, throw you off your game.
And buy every dip? :sharebeer
absolute zero

Post by absolute zero »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:56 pm Anyone else notice that Exxon almost has a 10% dividend yield?

I know it's not a US stock, but since we're talking crazy div yields, HSBC, at a 20-something year low for its stock, almost has a 14% div yield.
What blows my mind is that while other O&G companies are reducing their dividend in order to ease their heavily negative free cash flows, XOM is *so* committed to their dividend that they are actively trying to sell assets (in a weak/down market) in order to be able to maintain the dividend.

That level of obsession with dividends (which are of course just one piece of total return) is bizarre to me. I'm not a stock picker, but if I was then I wouldn't be a fan of XOM.