U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
H-Town

Re: U.S. stocks in freefall

Post by H-Town »

Is stock in free fall yet? :beer
Time is the ultimate currency.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

thangngo wrote:Is stock in free fall yet? :beer
Trust me. When the stock market is in free fall, you will know. You won't have to ask.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Sell everything and put the cash under your mattress.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

MrNewEngland wrote:Sell everything and put the cash under your mattress.
That would be under the mattress you just sold? :twisted:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
best2u

Post by best2u »

Those of us with old mattresses do not need lumpier beds. :sharebeer
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” Will Rogers
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

The market has been going up for sooooo long. I think a real free fall might feel bad (even though it will be a buying opportunity). I'm sure this thread will help me through... while I cry...and buy.
protagonist

Low correlation between Dow and S+P 500

Post by protagonist »

This is vaguely interesting, though I imagine it doesn't mean much...probably just noise, and a good opportunity to publish an article. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-do ... 2017-07-06
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

GoldenFinch wrote:The market has been going up for sooooo long. I think a real free fall might feel bad (even though it will be a buying opportunity). I'm sure this thread will help me through... while I cry...and buy.
Cry and buy... I like that! :sharebeer
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
bligh

Post by bligh »

I have a confession to make.

Last week I was hoping this week would be terrible because I knew I'd have new money to invest today. Lo and behold, the market took a nice little dip today just when I was ready to invest. :D
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

bligh wrote:I have a confession to make.

Last week I was hoping this week would be terrible because I knew I'd have new money to invest today. Lo and behold, the market took a nice little dip today just when I was ready to invest. :D
I have an automatic investment set up for my Roth that goes in every Wednesday...kind of a DCA move.

Darnit...missed it by a day this week...
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

This looks like the type of message you'll see right before a 25% dip.
bligh

Post by bligh »

MotoTrojan wrote:

This looks like the type of message you'll see right before a 25% dip.

Haha.. That would be funny wouldn't it!

It's fine by me, I am accumulating my investments right now. If it weren't for the effect a stock market crash would have on the livelihood of families and retired folk, I'd hope for a 50% drop right now. :beer
bayview

Post by bayview »

Well dang, just when I thought we'd have a little dip where I'd do a bit of Roth conversions, total US is back up again. Stupid markets.

:D

(yeah, yeah; I know)
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 »

GoldenFinch wrote:The market has been going up for sooooo long. I think a real free fall might feel bad (even though it will be a buying opportunity). I'm sure this thread will help me through... while I cry...and buy.
I wonder what kind of dip will really hurt and that does worry me. S&P 500 is up what, ~30% from that low we had in February 2016? So any drop that's less than 30% isn't really any more of a buying opportunity than last February was. And anything close to that seems...pretty painful. I'll be happy if we can get a 10-15% drop to just get it over with even if it isn't a "great buying opportunity".
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.
bayview

Post by bayview »

Engineer250 wrote:
I wonder what kind of dip will really hurt and that does worry me. S&P 500 is up what, ~30% from that low we had in February 2016? So any drop that's less than 30% isn't really any more of a buying opportunity than last February was. And anything close to that seems...pretty painful. I'll be happy if we can get a 10-15% drop to just get it over with even if it isn't a "great buying opportunity".
Well, you know it's coming. It's the nature of the beast.

Factor in a 30% drop (or 50%) in the equity fraction of your holdings, and see what that does to your total portfolio paper worth. If it's too much; if it will make you panic or lose sleep at night, adjust your AA to where you feel you can ride it out.

To me, this is an important part of investing: know that something WILL go down dramatically (stocks, bonds, or both), and do a trial gut check on just how much you can tolerate without panicking and selling at a loss. Then if necessary, adjust your AA to hit that point. Then sit back, buckle up, and prepare yourself mentally. Chances are, it will get better after x period of time. But you do need to process through the emotions ahead of time, so that you are better prepared. Either that, or stay where you are, and figure out a way of lashing yourself to the mast.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Engineer250 wrote:
If you think about it, even now is a great buying opportunity if the market is higher in the future. We've been on an upward trend for so long now (compared to past volatility) I just think a drop will be a little hard to watch. Anyway, we probably shouldn't be looking.
CULater

Post by CULater »

Is this Finally the Year?
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags »

Engineer250 wrote:I'll be happy if we can get a 10-15% drop to just get it over with even if it isn't a "great buying opportunity".
There is talk of the buy and hold index funds/ETF investor taking the volatility out of the market. The talk is that's why hedge fund managers can't beat the market, they are trading against each other now. The marks have left the table.
Vanguard's three trillion under management is often mentioned.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Engineer250 wrote:I'll be happy if we can get a 10-15% drop to just get it over with even if it isn't a "great buying opportunity".
There is talk of the buy and hold index funds/ETF investor taking the volatility out of the market. The talk is that's why hedge fund managers can't beat the market, they are trading against each other now. The marks have left the table.
Interesting theory. The culture does seem less speculative these days. Bogleheads and Mr MM have done a lot to make index investing cool.
Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 »

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
I don't know, that sounds too much like pre-2007. Weren't people saying all the financial regulations we had adopted post-2000 were going to prevent wild swings in the market etc.?
bayview wrote:But you do need to process through the emotions ahead of time, so that you are better prepared. Either that, or stay where you are, and figure out a way of lashing yourself to the mast.
I like it, the Odysseus theory of investing. This thread is evidence there's too many of us who want to know if we can resist the call of the sirens, either for the first time or for the Nth time. Or maybe we just want to hear it again.

In "shoe shine boy gives stock tips" anecdotes, my 20-something coworker (who is no fool) recently said he is looking to "get into stocks" to make more money.
Uncle Pennybags

Engineer250 wrote:
Uncle Pennybags wrote:
I don't know, that sounds too much like pre-2007. Weren't people saying all the financial regulations we had adopted post-2000 were going to prevent wild swings in the market etc.?
In "shoe shine boy gives stock tips" anecdotes, my 20-something coworker (who is no fool) recently said he is looking to "get into stocks" to make more money.
Not the same, Vanguard's $3,000,000,000,000.00 AUM is 100% voluntary. The smart money will go where smart money goes. Smart money is beyond regulation and shoe shine boys, it flows like water in perfect harmony with the Tao.
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

Well, the REIT etf is in a semi free fall. Figured i'd bump for that.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

deltaneutral83 wrote:Well, the REIT etf is in a semi free fall. Figured i'd bump for that.
VNQ looks pretty healthy, especially when compared to 2008, yikes!
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

MotoTrojan wrote:
deltaneutral83 wrote:Well, the REIT etf is in a semi free fall. Figured i'd bump for that.
Yes of course, my comment was more tongue in cheek in keeping with the tradition of this thread. 4.5% drop in a month though.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

deltaneutral83 wrote:
MotoTrojan wrote:
Yes of course, my comment was more tongue in cheek in keeping with the tradition of this thread. 4.5% drop in a month though.
Gotcha, of course. A REAL free fall would be Ethereum, YIKES.
sreynard

Post by sreynard »

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
bayview wrote:But you do need to process through the emotions ahead of time, so that you are better prepared. Either that, or stay where you are, and figure out a way of lashing yourself to the mast.
I like it, the Odysseus theory of investing. This thread is evidence there's too many of us who want to know if we can resist the call of the sirens, either for the first time or for the Nth time. Or maybe we just want to hear it again.

The stoic philosophers thought that helped prepare you for dealing with bad events. Visualize all the terrible things that could happen to take the emotional pain out of them when and if they do. People typically don't like to think about bad things happening to them, but the old stoics claimed it really did help.
sreynard

Post by sreynard »

dougger5 wrote:

I have an automatic investment set up for my Roth that goes in every Wednesday...kind of a DCA move.

Darnit...missed it by a day this week...
Well, you could market time and change to Tuesdays. . . . :D
Uncle Pennybags

sreynard wrote:The stoic philosophers thought that helped prepare you for dealing with bad events.
Like when Bentley the dog was exposed to Ebola? I stayed the course and bought stock to keep my AA in line. Those shares have been very good to me. Today I bought some REITs, gott'a keep the AA in balance. My portfolio flows like water, following the Way.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Anyone know what did cause that little dip around 11:30 ET today?
sreynard

Post by sreynard »

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
sreynard wrote:The stoic philosophers thought that helped prepare you for dealing with bad events.
Like when Bentley the dog was exposed to Ebola? I stayed the course and bought stock to keep my AA in line. Those shares have been very good to me. Today I bought some REITs, gott'a keep the AA in balance. My portfolio flows like water, following the Way.
I fail to understand your response. Perhaps that was a joke? :confused
TomCat96

Post by TomCat96 »

barnaclebob wrote:Anyone know what did cause that little dip around 11:30 ET today?

Trump Jr. released e-mails.
sreynard

Post by sreynard »

barnaclebob wrote:Anyone know what did cause that little dip around 11:30 ET today?
Somebody bought at 11:29 ET? :wink:
Uncle Pennybags

sreynard wrote:
Somebody bought at 11:29 ET? :wink:
Is the gal who sold at that time going to post?
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

:D
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Remember that political discussion is off-limits and will only derail this thread.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Uncle Pennybags

It was a news item that amounted to nothing as stocks bounced right back. This is why Mr. Bogle said one should not look at day to day happenings in one's portfolio.
The "breaking news" was not that big a deal and some say it was high speed computer trading algorithms that caused the drop. Humans then took over and bought the faux dip.
Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 »

sreynard wrote: The stoic philosophers thought that helped prepare you for dealing with bad events. Visualize all the terrible things that could happen to take the emotional pain out of them when and if they do. People typically don't like to think about bad things happening to them, but the old stoics claimed it really did help.
I think there's probably some truth to its being helpful.

For a non-finance example, a lot of runners recommend that you visualize a big race. And you try to think about what it might feel like when you're at mile X and you feel miserable and you want to stop, what are you going to do to get past that and keep going? Being ready for it can help a great deal.

In the world of finance, a lot of people on here weren't invested in this last recession and don't know how they will handle a downturn. Or people like me were invested but often "forget" what it felt like. There's a few good documentaries (PBS Inside the Meltdown is one of the good ones) that I re-watch maybe every 2-3 years just to remind myself what it really felt like. Because although I didn't pull my money out, and didn't change my investments, and even increased my 401k contributions a teeny bit, it did not feel like "yay, I can buy stocks at a discount!" it felt like "omg how bad is this going to get, am I going to have a job next year?" I was in a relatively "safe" industry but no one knew where the bleeding was going to stop or how scary it really was. It's good to be reminded so you don't think the next time will be a cakewalk.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Many investing books state that there is usually a big crash during one generation. Looking back at 2000's dot-com crash and 2007-2008 crash, those are still fresh on my mind. The 2007-2008 crash has done some damage to the world economy. The U.S. market tumbled 50% and it would take 3-5 years to recover from it. Are those two crash big enough to scare this generation of investors not to follow the herd and "build castle in the sky"? Is that why the market is cautious and going on such a strong and long bull period since 2008?
fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai »

thangngo wrote:Many investing books state that there is usually a big crash during one generation. Looking back at 2000's dot-com crash and 2007-2008 crash, those are still fresh on my mind. The 2007-2008 crash has done some damage to the world economy. The U.S. market tumbled 50% and it would take 3-5 years to recover from it. Are those two crash big enough to scare this generation of investors not to follow the herd and "build castle in the sky"? Is that why the market is cautious and going on such a strong and long bull period since 2008?
The answer is that some people in this generation will be scared to invest. Some will not be.
Portfolio7

Post by Portfolio7 »

2000 just seemed like we were blowing off the top - overinvestment leading to a correction, no big deal, even if it was very painful. 2008 scared the bejezus out of me because there were legitimate signs that the entire financial system could go down. My favorite Onion article had Bernanke roaming drunkenly from bar to bar while moaning, "were scr**ed, we're all scr**ed". I'm not sure why, but I still think this is hilarious.

I think it's pretty well established that fear of losses > FOMO (fear of missing out). I think if you're lucky, the FOMO is strong with you (couldn't resist). I think it's FOMO that helped me stay invested in 2000, and while I admit to non-boglehead shenanigans in 2008, helped me stick to my plan in 2008, so that I turned out ok.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest" - Benjamin Franklin
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Market is dropping for a change. Let's get this thread fired up!
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

munemaker wrote:Market is dropping for a change. Let's get this thread fired up!
After waking up at 11:30am from my morning nap and checking the market indexes, I started looking for this thread. Someone should have revived it, I was thinking.
Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike »

thangngo wrote:Many investing books state that there is usually a big crash during one generation. Looking back at 2000's dot-com crash and 2007-2008 crash, those are still fresh on my mind. The 2007-2008 crash has done some damage to the world economy. The U.S. market tumbled 50% and it would take 3-5 years to recover from it. Are those two crash big enough to scare this generation of investors not to follow the herd and "build castle in the sky"? Is that why the market is cautious and going on such a strong and long bull period since 2008?
Not so sure about the 1 per generation theory. I personally experienced 1987, 1991, 2000, 2008 and I am pretty sure I am going to experience at least another 2 -3 more.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

This might be the correction that many people are waiting for. Let us see if they have the courage to jump in.
bligh

Post by bligh »

Finally some volatility. It took the threat of nuclear war to bring life to this thread.
Uncle Pennybags

flyingaway wrote:This might be the correction that many people are waiting for. Let us see if they have the courage to jump in.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Looking good for my automatic investment on the 15th and the 1st next month :sharebeer

More :moneybag is ready for a 5% drop.
3rdSun

Post by 3rdSun »

Actually, if you want to know why the markets are down so much today, it is because I put a lot of money in yesterday. :annoyed
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

flyingaway wrote:This might be the correction that many people are waiting for. Let us see if they have the courage to jump in.

It just so happens that my managed account at Fidelity was liquidated Monday and the funds( 460k ) are finally available finally available today in my self directed account so I can start my 3 ETF portfolio( 70/30) at Fidelity .On one shoulder there is that little voice that is saying go all in right now dont even think about market timing and on the other shoulder there is a little voice telling me to wait until tomorrow ,monday or tuesday.... because this is the correction we have been waiting for.What to do?
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Time in the market is better than timing the market.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR