U.S. stocks in free fall

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Re: U.S. stocks in free fall

Post by 000 »

VTI acting like August never happened...
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

It's Fall and it's falling.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

October came early this year.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

newyorker wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:00 am Staying the course...
You may want to choose another image to express your feelings on staying the course. Pepe the Frog (the morose frog image) has some pretty strong political connotations that may not be what you intended for this particular thread.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Hopefully this demonstration of the at least short-term disconnect between stocks and the economy will be etched into all BHs' minds.

The jobs report came back in very strong, and the unemployment rate dropped to 8.4%. The market's reaction is negative, presumably because it means that the Fed and Congress will be less likely to pump even more stimulus into the economy.

As further evidence of economists' inability to make even short-term forecasts that are accurate, they were predicting that the UER would be 9.8%. The actual 8.4% smashed that prediction hard in the face.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Sic Vis Pacem wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:06 am
newyorker wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:00 am Staying the course...
You may want to choose another image to express your feelings on staying the course. Pepe the Frog (the morose frog image) has some pretty strong political connotations that may not be what you intended for this particular thread.
I did not know who Pepe the Frog was (I've just looked it up), but I think that the size of the image is disruptive.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:07 am Hopefully this demonstration of the at least short-term disconnect between stocks and the economy will be etched into all BHs' minds.

The jobs report came back in very strong, and the unemployment rate dropped to 8.4%. The market's reaction is negative, presumably because it means that the Fed and Congress will be less likely to pump even more stimulus into the economy.

As further evidence of economists' inability to make even short-term forecasts that are accurate, they were predicting that the UER would be 9.8%. The actual 8.4% smashed that prediction hard in the face.
Excellent observations. Much appreciated.
"Happiness comes from being connected in the right ways to: other people, your work, something larger than yourself."
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
softmax

Post by softmax »

Chuck107 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:21 am I have no horse in the race as I'm not doing anything, but if I had to guess (crystal ball) it will tank more toward the close, as the traders don't want to wake up Monday morning to a potential blood bath.
It just seems the way it goes.
Monday is a holiday!
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

As Green Day said, “wake me up, when September ends.”

Naw, I smell a buying opportunity. 8-)
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-t ... 2015-02-27

"But while Captain Kirk strutted about waving his big ego, and “Scotty” had another Celtic meltdown in the engine room, Mr. Spock, the half-Vulcan science officer, would keep his head. He would turn to the others, raise a quizzical eyebrow, and observe that they were all being ... well … illogical.

And it’s much the same in the imaginary Vulcan stock market, where investors have cast aside the emotional follies of planet Earth, and instead act in a manner that’s completely rational.

On the planet Vulcan, you never see economists on TV predicting what’s going to happen next year. Vulcans know that a complex system like a major economy is basically unpredictable. The things you don’t know about will swamp the few things you do.

On the planet Vulcan, there are very few financial brokers, traders, salesmen, analysts and other financial hangers-on. Vulcans believe most of them are a waste of money."
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Chuck107 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:25 am
softmax wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:23 am
Chuck107 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:21 am I have no horse in the race as I'm not doing anything, but if I had to guess (crystal ball) it will tank more toward the close, as the traders don't want to wake up Monday morning to a potential blood bath.
Monday is a holiday!
Yes it is but I believe the markets are open.
Not in the US.
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

I went all in on Hedgefundie’s strategy but with TQQQ - last week! Well, was partially in before that. I’m down about 20% so far across all accounts. Figures. Nothing to do now but ride it out.

Post by 000 »

sailaway wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:27 am
Chuck107 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:25 am
softmax wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:23 am
Monday is a holiday!
Yes it is but I believe the markets are open.
Not in the US.
All the more reason for the gain taking today.
RetireBy55

Post by RetireBy55 »

The old saying that stocks take the stairs up and the elevator down sure seems to be the case this year.

I'm a bit suspicious of the heavy selling, all in 2 days and right before a holiday weekend. That doesn't strike me as "normal" market action - especially on such heavy volume. I get that there is likely 'some' profit taking involved, but it's hard to fathom that buyers were falling all overthemselves just 2 short days ago and now are falling all over themselves to sell at prices significantly lower than they were willing to buy at. Especially when there's been no major 'bad' economic or political news to trigger the abrupt change.

Makes absolutely no sense to me..
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Impatience wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:27 am I went all in on Hedgefundie’s strategy but with TQQQ - last week! Well, was partially in before that. I’m down about 20% so far across all accounts. Figures. Nothing to do now but ride it out.
In poker terms, you're pot committed. Good job not panicking, but I question whether it was wise to go all in with a strategy that everyone admits can literally blow up.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

RetireBy55 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:28 am I'm a bit suspicious of the heavy selling, all in 2 days and right before a holiday weekend. That doesn't strike me as "normal" market action - especially on such heavy volume. I get that there is likely 'some' profit taking involved, but it's hard to fathom that buyers were falling all overthemselves just 2 short days ago and now are falling all over themselves to sell at prices significantly lower than they were willing to buy at. Especially when there's been no major 'bad' economic or political news to trigger the abrupt change.
There has been significant news. The jobs market is recovering much faster than the market anticipated. Consequently, the likelihood of more stimulus from the powers that be has presumably gone way down, and the market was betting on that stimulus.

Beyond that, the market was going up by leaps and bounds over the prior two weeks. People don't mind upside volatility like that, but it has often led to significant downside volatility, as we've seen the last two days (i.e. volatility clustering).
Last edited by willthrill81 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ryzen

Post by Ryzen »

Impatience wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:27 am I went all in on Hedgefundie’s strategy but with TQQQ - last week! Well, was partially in before that. I’m down about 20% so far across all accounts. Figures. Nothing to do now but ride it out.
Would you buy TQQQ right now? If not, don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy and sell it. Leveraged ETF's also decay when movement in the underlying goes in both directions, so you are losing money even if QQQ is flat.
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

I don’t think anyone realizes how much the little guy has leveraged into the market. TSLA etc. People are getting called on their bets. I’m all for facing reality sooner rather than later. Everyone knows the feds bandaid is to avoid chaos. Now that we are all conditioned for a “recession”, let’s have it.
morsk

Post by morsk »

RetireBy55 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:28 am Makes absolutely no sense to me..
lol, and the melt-up in tech over the last few weeks made sense to you? TSLA at half-a-trill market-cap with a business model of trading carbon-credits, 2-spot-something trill val for AAPL et al made sense to you?

the recent rally was fueled solely with the tech-trade -- it was pure froth. every other sector was stalled or declining. US tech market cap exceeded the ENTIRE european public market. it's finally correcting. hopefully it makes sense now
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:28 am
In poker terms, you're pot committed. Good job not panicking, but I question whether it was wise to go all in with a strategy that everyone admits can literally blow up.
I’ve got a bit of a history of entering positions at absolutely terrible times but I’ve always ridden them out to greener pastures. At this point the number on the screen is just a number to me - it’s not real. I believe in the long term viability of doing this so these two days won’t change that.
Ryzen wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:30 am
Would you buy TQQQ right now?
Absolutely!
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:29 am
RetireBy55 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:28 am I'm a bit suspicious of the heavy selling, all in 2 days and right before a holiday weekend. That doesn't strike me as "normal" market action - especially on such heavy volume. I get that there is likely 'some' profit taking involved, but it's hard to fathom that buyers were falling all overthemselves just 2 short days ago and now are falling all over themselves to sell at prices significantly lower than they were willing to buy at. Especially when there's been no major 'bad' economic or political news to trigger the abrupt change.
There has been significant news. The jobs market is recovering much faster than the market anticipated. Consequently, the likelihood of more stimulus from the powers that be has presumably gone way down, and the market was betting on that stimulus.

Beyond that, the market was going up by leaps and bounds over the prior two weeks. People don't mind upside volatility like that, but it has often led to significant downside volatility, as we've seen the last two days (i.e. volatility clustering).
Are you talking about the possible second stimulus check?
Ryzen

Post by Ryzen »

RE: The unemployment rate, I'm having a hard time reconciling what the Labor Department released yesterday (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ ... 201671.pdf) of 29 million people receiving unemployment benefits, with the advertised unemployment rate of 8.4%. 29 million unemployed would be an unemployment rate of 18 percent at a labor force of 160 million (https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf)
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Ryzen wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:34 am RE: The unemployment rate, I'm having a hard time reconciling what the Labor Department released yesterday (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ ... 201671.pdf) of 29 million people receiving unemployment benefits, with the advertised unemployment rate of 8.4%. 29 million unemployed would be an unemployment rate of 18 percent at a labor force of 160 million (https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf)
There has been a change in the seasonal adjustments for unemployment rates, which accounts for some (but not all) of the week to week change. By all accounts, it is a good change, but since prior numbers weren't recalculated, there isn't much comparison.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

lostdog wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:34 am

I'm talking about any kind of stimulus. Obviously, the Fed and Congress would take different paths to achieve it, but all of those paths will be impeded by the economy making a quick recovery. That's presumably why stocks are tanking.
Stef

Post by Stef »

TQQQ down -24% in 2 days.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:37 am

I'm talking about any kind of stimulus. Obviously, the Fed and Congress would take different paths to achieve it, but all of those paths will be impeded by the economy making a quick recovery. That's presumably why stocks are tanking.
Roger that. Thanks!
case_of_ennui

Post by case_of_ennui »

A sizeable portion of the new jobs created are temporary Census workers hired by US Gov.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
Employment in government increased by 344,000 in August, accounting for one-fourth of the over-
the-month gain in total nonfarm employment. A job gain in federal government (+251,000) reflected
the hiring of 238,000 temporary 2020 Census workers.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Would you buy TQQQ right now? If not, don't fall for the sunk cost fallacy and sell it. Leveraged ETF's also decay when movement in the underlying goes in both directions, so you are losing money even if QQQ is flat.
I'll just admit I wouldn't buy it today. My problem, always, is buying too early. I am always optimistic. I am going to control myself today, but that might turn out to be a mistake. Who knows. What I do know is that these triple leveraged funds move in such a way that buying too early hurts a lot more than our experience with ordinary investments. Using history, you can sort of guess how long the market takes to 'process' but it's just a guess.
A fool and your money are soon partners
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

My goodness!

Good luck to you.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Enzo IX

Post by Enzo IX »

This technology bubble was kind of easy to see, felt like a mini 1999.

Better it happen now, then let it get too big and really mess up future returns. Think of the lost decade after 1999.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

lostdog wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:40 am
willthrill81 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:37 am

Roger that. Thanks!
What saddens and annoys me is that the stock market apparently values stimulus more than people actually working. :x
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

Enzo IX wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:47 am This technology bubble was kind of easy to see, felt like a mini 1999.

Better it happen now, then let it get too big and really mess up future returns. Think of the lost decade after 1999.

Too early to call “bubble”. Seems like normal market activity to me.
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:44 am
I'll just admit I wouldn't buy it today. My problem, always, is buying too early. I am always optimistic. I am going to control myself today, but that might turn out to be a mistake. Who knows. What I do know is that these triple leveraged funds move in such a way that buying too early hurts a lot more than our experience with ordinary investments. Using history, you can sort of guess how long the market takes to 'process' but it's just a guess.
I would recommend just buying it today. Sure it could tank some more but it’s still a big win over buying it Monday or last week. However that’s assuming you intend to hold it very long term which is my plan. As long as NASDAQ appreciates over the coming decades at some semblance of its former (2001-2016) rate, which was great but not crazy, it will more than make up for the volatility drag of any drops.

Edit: maybe I should qualify my recommendation a little further ... I’d buy a chunk today and then wait and see.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:47 am What saddens and annoys me is that the stock market apparently values stimulus more than people actually working. :x
Stock market rewards money. Stimulus means easy money.

Hence why looking at the DOW or S&P doesn't mean much more the health of the economy, only for the amount of profit the big boys are generating.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Enzo IX wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:47 am This technology bubble was kind of easy to see, felt like a mini 1999.

QQQs were a bit over 300 for a minute or two (closing high 302.76) and now they are 279-280ish and folks are acting like there was some big move. There was a sudden and somewhat violent move but so far I wouldn't call it big.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
tre3sori

Post by tre3sori »

Jack Bogle commenting on leverage :sharebeer

[Link formatted by moderator oldcomputerguy]
Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep by him in reserve. Talmud | 34% Real Estate, 43% VGWL, 16% VAGE, 5% 8PSG, 2% Cash
jay22

Post by jay22 »

Easy to say? Like 1999? Please share your insight on how you came to this conclusion.
Stef

Post by Stef »

1) Too early to call if it's a bubble.
2) Everything is easy to call in hind-sight.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

It’s turning around. I predict the S&P will end only modestly in the red today.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

I feel you bro.

Best course of action - do nothing and stay the course.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

tre3sori wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:56 am
https://youtu.be/zrCo0m5gSfc?t=228 :sharebeer
Does Vanguard allow leveraged ETF's at their brokerage?

Post by 000 »

lostdog wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:01 am
no
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

If it drops some more, time for TLH. If it goes up a lot more, time to harvest some cash. Either way is fine for me.

KlangFool
jay22

Post by jay22 »

000 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:03 am
no
Not even in the IRA accounts?
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

jay22 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:09 am
no
They don’t allow them period. I had level 2 options and margin allowed but still couldn’t buy them. They do allow some less obvious leveraged ones like NTSX. I moved my account to IBKR because of it. Very happy with the decision. Vanguard is rapidly falling behind the rest.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Impatience wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:12 am
jay22 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:09 am

no
They don’t allow them period. They do allow some less obvious leveraged ones like NTSX. I moved my account to IBKR because of it. Very happy with the decision. Vanguard is rapidly falling behind the rest.
I didn't know that Vanguard would allow NTSX. Thanks.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I’m more bummed out by what my bonds (BND, -0.48%) are doing today than my equities.